Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

What's the difference between the regular Mk3 lower and the "mil-spec" Mk3 lower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

infrared35 posted:

What's the difference between the regular Mk3 lower and the "mil-spec" Mk3 lower?

What I'm guessing from that screenshot:

stripped: stripped
ambi: ambi lpk installed
mil-spec: more normal lpk installed

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

What do we think about the Meprolight HUD?

I'm hoping it's usable if you have eyeballs that are out of spec.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably worse for broken eyes thatís my hot take.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Anecdotal from one source (my friend) but Columbia River Arms was incredibly slow in getting a custom barrel done. If you're not in a rush then they're GTG.

Yeah, he bitched for months. Then turned around and recommended I buy one.

I think he just wanted me to suffer as much as he did.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looks busy, I'm hoping you'll be able to enable and disable parts of it in the app.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Complete WWSD2020s are also up on Brownells with a $1700 pricetag, which is about where I feared it would end up.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Complete WWSD2020s are also up on Brownells with a $1700 pricetag, which is about where I feared it would end up.

Eh, people too lazy or stupid to build their own can pay the idiot tax.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It's probably worth buying the stripped lower/parts kit, which is what I'm planning on doing.

Even the assembled lowers are pricier than I want to spend without being able to choose exactly what trigger I want.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Yeah, although pleasantly surprised with $90 for the stripped lower.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Bob Mundon posted:

Yeah, although pleasantly surprised with $90 for the stripped lower.

Yeah, I was a-feared it would be a $350 stripped lower. That's a pretty great deal considering you don't need a buffer tube, stock, or their associated hardware. If the LOP works for someone, it'd be a pretty great start to a decent AR, assuming there aren't manufacturing defects.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

Yeah, I was a-feared it would be a $350 stripped lower. That's a pretty great deal considering you don't need a buffer tube, stock, or their associated hardware. If the LOP works for someone, it'd be a pretty great start to a decent AR, assuming there aren't manufacturing defects.

You will need two $4 pins and I bet money a special safety.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

The last CavArms lower took regular safeties, so I'm not sure why this new version wouldn't.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Miso Beno posted:

The old GWACs Mk 2 stripped lower came with the special pins that it needed, and it used a standard safety. I assume that this one would be the same.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

The old GWACs Mk 2 stripped lower came with the special pins that it needed, and it used a standard safety. I assume that this one would be the same.

Oh then I'm probably wrong! Now I'm curious to know if these new lowers ship with the right pins since they're also sold seperately.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The old one also came with a special extra long buffer tube detent rollpin to retain the buffer detent because you cant use the buffer tube to do it. So 3 unique metal parts to it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CAV lowers also like one longer hammer pin. Itís the same extended length as the ones that are used in the now fostech magnesium lower. You can get them from fostech and Vseven systems also sells extended hammer pins too. Itís not needed but it looks nicer IMO when the pin head is flush with the receiver.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I wonder what's going to happen with whats left of GWACS. They still list the CAV-15 MkIII as coming soon.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Per the Brownell's pre-order page of the stripped lower:

quote:

Uses standard AR components except for included take down pins.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vorkosigan posted:

Per the Brownell's pre-order page of the stripped lower:

Dope. I wonder if standard pins just don't sit flush against the outside of the receiver body.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

Dope. I wonder if standard pins just don't sit flush against the outside of the receiver body.

I have spares of the long ones since Iíve been meaning to build up 4 CAVS. I can send you a set to try if a normal pin is shy of the surface.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

A bright green AR lower?!

I wouldn't care what it is, bright green gun anything that doesn't say ZOMBIE is my jam.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

A bright green AR lower?!

I wouldn't care what it is, bright green gun anything that doesn't say ZOMBIE is my jam.

They did glow in the dark lowers too.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

They did glow in the dark lowers too.

Sounds like a great way to give away your position. DITS.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Miso Beno posted:

Oh then I'm probably wrong! Now I'm curious to know if these new lowers ship with the right pins since they're also sold seperately.

The pins aren't captive, since those little detents and holes would create a weak spot in the polymer, so I think they're just planning on having replacement pins readily available.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

Man I wish every hobby had people as involved as Ian and karl.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

They might you just have to look!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What hobbies are you into that don't have folks as dedicated as Ian and Karl?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There is an enthusiastic goateed ponytail who is well respected in every hobby, guaranteed. Excluding maybe embroidery but thatís a hard maybe.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There was a thread from someone who worked for a dice company and grogs came out of the woodwork to ask what kind of statistically relevant testing theyre were doing on these funky color d&d dice to ensure their fairness and were PISSED the company was basically just a reseller and was doing none

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

There is an enthusiastic goateed ponytail who is well respected in every hobby, guaranteed. Excluding maybe embroidery but thatís a hard maybe.
I bet money there are a handful of vintage embroidery jesuses.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Miso Beno posted:

I wonder what's going to happen with whats left of GWACS. They still list the CAV-15 MkIII as coming soon.

On their Facebook page they posted a mysterious message about having to relocate and then have been awol for what, a year now? My guess is he sold off all his receivers and didn't want to buy a new set of tooling and punched out

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Why even stay around if KE is doing one? How is KE permitted to even make them? Did they buy the patent? Licensing? Russel being on with KE really makes it seem that they just bought the patent or are licensing from GWACS and GWACS is going to retire.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Stravag posted:

There was a thread from someone who worked for a dice company and grogs came out of the woodwork to ask what kind of statistically relevant testing theyre were doing on these funky color d&d dice to ensure their fairness and were PISSED the company was basically just a reseller and was doing none

How would...how does fairness testing dice work? I'm confused. If they aren't weighted what's the problem?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Why even stay around if KE is doing one? How is KE permitted to even make them? Did they buy the patent? Licensing? Russel being on with KE really makes it seem that they just bought the patent or are licensing from GWACS and GWACS is going to retire.
That's what I'd like to find out.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

How would...how does fairness testing dice work? I'm confused. If they aren't weighted what's the problem?

How precisley they were cast/ any bubbles in the material stuff like that. Maybe the 3 panel of your d20 is a 10th of a millimeter too high compared to the other panels. Maybe that gives it a tendency to roll more with the 3 panel being on bottom and making the corresponding reverse panel up more likely by .37%. It was NUTS man how offended people were getting

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Beardless posted:

The pins aren't captive, since those little detents and holes would create a weak spot in the polymer, so I think they're just planning on having replacement pins readily available.

Yeah you can't use captive pins, the ones that came with my GWACS were just regular pins with a ball detent in the end. In addition the holes are offset juuuuuust a little bit so they are friction fit, since you can't have the regular detent snap them into place. It can be a pain to release the pins, actually, I usually use a punch.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don't the pins sit a bit proud? You can usually use the edge of a hard surface like a table top corner or wood post to push the pin out just enough to expose and grab the flanged end.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Colt attempted to do this in the 1970s
https://sinistralrifleman.com/2019/12/10/colt-monolithic-polymer-lower-from-the-vietnam-era/

Cavalry Arms Corp released the CAV-15 in 2000, then the CAV-15 MKII in 2003.
https://sinistralrifleman.com/2019/11/22/the-mk3-polymer-receiver/
It was never patented or trade marked in anyway. With the Colt prior art it unlikely it would have been issued or held up.

In 2011 I sold the MKII tooling to GWACS after Cav Arms closed down. They ran it for a few years but had not produced receivers since 2013. The 2017 WWSD program caused them to sell out their remaining inventory.

We attempted to work with them to repair the tool and assist in running it and pay them a fee per part produced. The president declined. They were holding out for an investor. My point of contact left the company after having not been paid in a year. The president never responded to me, InRange, or Brownells, and people started complaining that their orders for spare parts were not being filled. In January of 2019 they posted the message about vacating their building and have not been heard from since.

KE Arms put together an investor group to fund development of new molds and tooling for the MK3. This program is something we have been working on for a while now. InRange created a demand, GWACS left a void, and there wonít ever be a better set of circumstances with the right combination of people involved to bring the monolithic receiver concept back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

If anyone has tech questions about the MK3 ask me rather than speculate.