Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Captain Jesus posted:

Are any of the fan edits of Lynch Dune that are on youtube actually good? I want to watch the movie with my wife, who hasn't seen it before, and I'm thinking of watching the fan edit (this one in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d77kdmOvU) with her instead of the theatrical version.

Alright what country do I have to VPN in from to watch this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Netherlands works fine for me. It's better quality than the other alternative I posted.

The special effects are so bad. You have to remember this came out the same year as Return of the Jedi. And simple stuff like a space helicopter looks awful. Like it was filmed in 1955.

The Alternative Cut has Patrick Stewart dual-wielding a submachine gun and a pug so it's not all bad.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 24, 2020

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Are you sure he's dual wielding and the pug isn't holding the gun

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Netherlands works fine for me. It's better quality than the other alternative I posted.

The special effects are so bad. You have to remember this came out the same year as Return of the Jedi. And simple stuff like a space helicopter looks awful. Like it was filmed in 1955.

The Alternative Cut has Patrick Stewart dual-wielding a submachine gun and a pug so it's not all bad.

Return of the Jedi and Dune were released almost 10 years closer to 1955 than to today.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Return of the Jedi and Dune were released almost 10 years closer to 1955 than to today.

Also when was the last time you saw Return of the Jedi because lol C-3PO and R2 getting lifted out of the sand/etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

Are you sure he's dual wielding and the pug isn't holding the gun

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Is there any information on the pug casting at this stage?

Jason Momoa?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You wonder why anyone handed a giant sci-fi extravaganza to David Lynch, but then you remember George Lucas's only hit prior to Star Wars was American Graffiti

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

You wonder why anyone handed a giant sci-fi extravaganza to David Lynch, but then you remember George Lucas's only hit prior to Star Wars was American Graffiti

Except in this case, Lynch hated sci fi and Dune the book

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm sure you know this, but Lynch was actually Lucas's first choice to direct Jedi! Lynch turned it down because hearing about 'ewoks' gave him the worst migraine of his life

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the interview:
https://youtu.be/EJQ4vCu-S0U

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
All this talk has made me head over to Amazon to pick up the book for Kindle, since I only ever read it as borrowed from a library. What else do they ha... oh no...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y4MXZMJ?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=MFXYZ87EKPPWSR43YJP7

Oooooh nooooo...

https://www.amazon.com/Funko-Feyd-R...DG419HXKNSM313F

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, Funko pops need to all die in a fire.

These are the only Dune toys worth notice:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
That's not merchandising, that sand worm is a flat out sex toy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm genuinely baffled as to what's supposed to be happening in this scene when Rabban walks in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGc7DRJi0&t=7757s

What the gently caress is going on in this room?

Has anyone mentioned here that Lynch and Sting intended him to be completely nude in that scene, and the G-string prop was really built in minutes when the studio told them they couldn't do it?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Oh that's right, it's Feyd that comes with the cat milking machine. I love that even the toys from that movie seem like they came out of a fever dream.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Oh that's right, it's Feyd that comes with the cat milking machine. I love that even the toys from that movie seem like they came out of a fever dream.

I like how cheerful Rabban looks.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm genuinely baffled as to what's supposed to be happening in this scene when Rabban walks in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGc7DRJi0&t=7757s

What the gently caress is going on in this room?

Has anyone mentioned here that Lynch and Sting intended him to be completely nude in that scene, and the G-string prop was really built in minutes when the studio told them they couldn't do it?

I was just about to mention that. As a lover of spectacle; especially the too rare full frontal male nudity, I am quite disappointed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes, yes, but what is happening before Rabban walks in??? The establishing shot shows a landed Harkonnen spaceship. The Baron is flying around in a circle screaming incoherently, Feyd is in some sort of sauna machine, there's a guy laughing and adjusting some sort of control box??? musical instrument??? and there's a dwarf vacuuming the floor.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 26, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think that's just what the harkonnens call a good time

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's all just things Lynch likes jerking off to.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lynch's dune is unquestionably a disaster but its also insanely close to being a masterpiece.

It so is. When in theaters they also apparently handed out a small encyclopedic pamphlet that you could reference whenever the movie threw terminology at you, according to an uncle that saw it on release.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
dune + cats = ???

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

hallelujah posted:

dune + cats = ???
WORMS

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh no

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SHAI

HU

LUD

THE

VAST

SAND

WORM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bobby Hill?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
It's kinda like cherry spice. I didn't think I'd like it. Then I tried it. Now I like it!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lynch's dune is unquestionably a disaster but its also insanely close to being a masterpiece.

Dune gave us Blue Velvet so it wasn't a complete loss.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Also, Jodorowksy's Dune gave us Alien*, while the Dune novels ultimately gave us Star Wars. It's an interesting property because on the whole it's inaccessible and unwieldy, but littered aspects of the story or settings found their way into tons of great poo poo.

(* H.R. Giger was brought in during pre-pro to do visual design for Giedi Prime and the Harkonnens, and those Hollywood in-roads are what eventually connected him to Ridley Scott.)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, yes, but what is happening before Rabban walks in??? The establishing shot shows a landed Harkonnen spaceship. The Baron is flying around in a circle screaming incoherently, Feyd is in some sort of sauna machine, there's a guy laughing and adjusting some sort of control box??? musical instrument??? and there's a dwarf vacuuming the floor.

The Baron's zooming around because he's stoked his revenge plan worked

The laughing guy is Nefud, the Harkonnen guard captain (field promotion after his predecessor got a faceful of tooth gas)

The control box plays semuta music, which Nefud is addicted to (just like he was in the book!)

Dune wiki posted:

Semuta Music was a music played to elicit the effect of the drug, semuta. It had an eerie, atonal quality that was generally unmistakable.

The dwarf is just to be weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVBclV5ps2U

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

Also, Jodorowksy's Dune gave us Alien

Jodorowsky's Dune also gave us the Metabarons:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Clipperton posted:

The Baron's zooming around because he's stoked his revenge plan worked

The laughing guy is Nefud, the Harkonnen guard captain (field promotion after his predecessor got a faceful of tooth gas)

The control box plays semuta music, which Nefud is addicted to (just like he was in the book!)

Astounding!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alhazred posted:

Jodorowsky's Dune also gave us the Metabarons:

It gave Incal which in turn gave us the Metabarons as one of many spinoffs Get your order of events right!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It gave Incal which in turn gave us the Metabarons as one of many spinoffs Get your order of events right!

And the Incal gave us The Fifth Element. What I'm saying is, Dune has weirded its way into all manner of poo poo and people have no idea.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
L'Incal rules so loving hard

just don't get the recolored version

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I saw the re-colored version in a store and flipped through it a bit what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck were they thinking with that poo poo? Just absolute total objectively bad dogshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Clipperton posted:

L'Incal rules so loving hard

just don't get the recolored version

But... it was already in color?

(My father, who used to run a comic book store in Montreal before I was born, has the entire original run of Incal, as well as a bunch of other Moebius greats like Major Fatal and Sur l'Étoile)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

But... it was already in color?

I'm still angry it exists.