Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I’ve never understood that freebird thing

I don’t mind the start of the song at all infact kinda like it but god drat that solo is average as gently caress and waaay too fuckin long and how the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

iirc the freebird solo was literally just a jam that they put on tape to pad out the record

it worked too because southern rock isn’t exactly a paragon of musical complexity

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Pentatonic minor is not inherently boring but it is beloved by boring guitarists.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

iirc the freebird solo was literally just a jam that they put on tape to pad out the record

it worked too because southern rock isn’t exactly a paragon of musical complexity

yeah but what I mean is how it became a meme
to play it and people would request it from every artist etc

maybe it was all a big joke? like let’s waste the next ten minutes of our lives and pretend we enjoy it. boggle my mind lol

no shade tho simple man is a great fuckin track and solid riff

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Pollyanna posted:

harmonic minor scale > minor pentatonic, but I still like pentatonic scales

Harmonic minor is tied with Lydian for me for fun modes.
Although mixolydian flat 6 is up there.
Its got a complicated name but it's all the white keys on a piano from G to G except instead of E you play E flat and it is instant Trent Reznor soundtrack

It's so good on a too much reverb piano sound

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
melodic minor is where it's at. the jazz one, not the classical

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Its got a complicated name but it's all the white keys on a piano from G to G except instead of E you play E flat and it is instant Trent Reznor soundtrack

I like that same scale but with A sharp instead of B

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

whole whole half whole half whole whole

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i have no idea what any of them are, i just put down the next note that sounds right and that seems to work??

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i have no idea what any of them are, i just put down the next note that sounds right and that seems to work??

that’s how you’re actually supposed to do it yes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

insert that math image macro but with musical notation instead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just play the right note at the right time hth

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Piano is just long buttons anyway

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
And music is math

(like anime is blood)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
pages late but this looks like a pretty cool hardware tracker

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSiclCMj_k

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's loud as gently caress to use

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ugh somebody called out a killer deal and i once again have succumbed to the GAS demon

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

current music status: I’m actually willingly relistening to one of my own tracks :eek:

this might be a first. it’s a janky piece of poo poo but I like it anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I re-listen to the stuff i’ve put on my tiktok heaps

it’s a shame when you’ve made something you think is actually decent and you wonder maybe if anyone gave it the time they’d maybe think it was worthwhile but.. i hardly expect anyone who knows anything about me to willingly put time into listening to my music these days

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yeah, that’s what happens when a market gets supersaturated. making and sharing music is so accessible and so easy now that anything you do is drowned out. a lot of music I listen to I only found through other interests like video games, youtube channels, and streamers.

you want to have a type B personality for these things. if it’s a struggle to stand out, why do that? it’s totally not worth it. instead just do what makes you happy and go with the flow. best to be like water, which benefits the ten thousand things and does not contend.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

like the reality is that there’s just so much poo poo out there. people find more success in teaching others how to make that poo poo and showcasing ways to make that poo poo than in actually making that poo poo!!!

just compare any of your favorite channel’s engagement metrics for their tutorial/lesson videos and review/walkthrough videos, to their jam videos and album/single releases. I guarantee you that the videos detailing their process, techniques, and equipment are bigger than the record of their output.

if you’re into production to be heard, you’re going to be drowned out. competing with an entire digital ocean of people with the same idea doesn’t bode well for you. that’s just how it works.

but this doesn’t mean we don’t have a job anymore. it’s simply changed. with this volume of output, we now have the opportunity to take in a massive amount of input. we can process it, analyze it, understand it, change it, modulate it, refine it. just like how a wave with every harmonic in the spectrum is carved up by filters and effects into a glorious tone, we can carve up the infinite harmonics of the internet and bolster our own discovery and experimentation. we can use this.

be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. if the whole world is speaking, then now is the time to listen. and by listening, your creations become infinitely more fulfilling.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i just make stuff for fun and don't care if people listen to it or not. it's a fun creative outlet hobby. i wouldn't want to do it professionally even if it was offered to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have made oh maybe a thousand bucks over the years from music, all live performances. but that hasnt happened in about 15 years.

the best gambit was when 2 friends and i threw an outdoor party (it may help to call it a 'rave'), we spent 2500 bucks, flew two people in and gave them hotels, paid all ~12 DJs, and after tickets and concessions we brought in 2575

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sometimes I wonder why I tinker around with synths and make little tracks here and there. I don’t think I have an answer side from the fact that I just do.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i just make stuff for fun and don't care if people listen to it or not. it's a fun creative outlet hobby. i wouldn't want to do it professionally even if it was offered to me

I mean I’d love to spend all my time on it and grow creatively and competence-wise

but I’ll be hosed if I ever make it my job

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfjxggLzJ0

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

NonzeroCircle posted:

Beato!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it’s all true

I make the music I do because I enjoy to do so, but there’s a stupid part of me craves validation, it’s the same with my photography. id love to know how to become more content with my own opinion.

getting validation for my work however is a like drug lol, because when someone’s said my work is good it feels good but it doesn’t satisfy for long, spose it never will, I just want more lol. stupid fuckin brain

keep on bloopin

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

That's about how I am with it... I mean, I like it when people listen to my stuff, but I do it because it's fun.

Also, I don't have to do it if I don't feel like it. I haven't really done anything musically in a couple weeks because I just haven't felt like it. But I'm starting to feel like it again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

me irl

echinopsis posted:

it’s all true

I make the music I do because I enjoy to do so, but there’s a stupid part of me craves validation, it’s the same with my photography. id love to know how to become more content with my own opinion.

getting validation for my work however is a like drug lol, because when someone’s said my work is good it feels good but it doesn’t satisfy for long, spose it never will, I just want more lol. stupid fuckin brain

keep on bloopin

coincidentally the dude up above is a good case study into being content with your own opinion and balancing personal fulfillment with drug-like validation

cause not even trent loving reznor is content with his own opinion lmao

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it’s tough, made infinitely worse by a world where putting yourself out there is piss easy and the only barrier is that half the world is doing it. but if that’s not a recipe for deciding to kill ambition, and emptying hearts and filling bellies, I don’t know what is

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What do y'all do when you are feeling really enthused to play (in this case guitar) but also feel creatively bereft?
I wanna write stuff but am struggling.
Had a jam along to 2 chords and a drumbeat I laid down yesterday and it was fun but that dumb voice in the back of my head is going "that's just Technical Difficulties but worse" or "this is 3 Devin Townsend riffs sellotaped together".

I genuinely feel envy for bands/guitarists that are able to say this is simple/obvious but it works.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

creativity is more like sculpting marble than conjuring doves from a hat. the music is already there, it just needs to be teased out with the tools and options available to you. and it also requires expending effort, and sometimes you just strike out like a bad nethack run. nothin on you, just wasn’t meant to be. worth a try again another day, or maybe trying another perspective/creative process or something.

there’s also absolutely nothing wrong with just grabbing your guitar and jamming with a couple chords and some nonsense lyrics

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I wanna write stuff but am struggling.
Had a jam along to 2 chords and a drumbeat I laid down yesterday and it was fun but that dumb voice in the back of my head is going "that's just Technical Difficulties but worse" or "this is 3 Devin Townsend riffs sellotaped together".

also honestly I feel you here, sometimes I just feel like I’m repeating whatever some other doofus did before me, but worse :( it’s a valid thing to feel, but it’s also not a thought worth obsessing over cause it eats you the gently caress up. easier said than done really.

and hey, if it ever gets you down, here’s this guy’s take on the same thing:

https://youtu.be/yA281OuU3rk

and he’s done great stuff anyway!!!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 30, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I tend to just start with something simple and elaborate on it.

finally finished this one, which I've been working at off and on for months now. it's my take on an epic boss battle or something like that. has several different segments with some different styles in it. at nearly 9 minutes it's definitely the longest thing I've made.

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/epic-boss-fight-theme

now to get back to another that I've been working on for some time that's nearly done!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
One of my ultimate goals in life is to do awesome stupid videos for my music, sort of in the style of Petunia Leibling Macpumpkin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAS70CF5244).

So far, I've bought a horse mask, but I haven't figured out what to do next. I know how to add music to a video, but that's about it.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 31, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I tend to just start with something simple and elaborate on it.

finally finished this one, which I've been working at off and on for months now. it's my take on an epic boss battle or something like that. has several different segments with some different styles in it. at nearly 9 minutes it's definitely the longest thing I've made.

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/epic-boss-fight-theme

now to get back to another that I've been working on for some time that's nearly done!

i reviewed this in ML! i like it tho im no expert on symphonic stuff. couple questions and observations i posted about over there

i also made a thing

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/chugga

no track is ever finished but this one is especially unfinished

id really like to know what the hell kind of music I make 😔 maybe ill do something in the style of triphop next, or something lighter and happier and poppy

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been feeling kinda off for a few weeks, but managed to come up with this - https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/searching-for-owls

I found some weird phonetic speech-y samples, and stuck them together for a sort of a vocal track, and then distorted the hell out of it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgotdnJRGlo
I started watching this and within 8 mins opened Cubase and had a mad little 3/4 riff sesh. Blew out the creative cobwebs for sure

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

still haven't gotten around to that with moving and whatnot, but my desktop does have 128 gb which I nearly fill sometimes working on stupidly big things. you could do it with less though by loading single articulation instruments. or even more by loading all the core, decorative, and fx sound effects for an instrument, as well as all the different section configurations

like for violins 1 you could load them as 16, 12, or 8. on top of that you can load them as 4A and 4B. each of those will have 30+ articulations and loading the core + decorative (tremolos, trills, etc) is around 4.5 gb of ram

for most things i just load standard articulations which is a measly 7 but suits most needs, and uses around 2 gb

please dont take this the wrong way: i admire your devotion to building the ultimate beast setup for whatever you want to do, but its one of those things i would never personally do or suggest anyone to do

its the sort of crazy unorthodox approaches that may end up with something super cool down the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my creativity hack is quite simple: i work with midi so i just smash keys at random, put it through an arpeggiator and my special ableton midi rack which will randomly generate some melodies (i shared this earlier in the thread too, iirc).

for me thats usually enough to start creative mode, because i believe that for every sound/preset - no matter how crappy - there exists a bunch of melodies-rhythms-effects that make it "work". once you get your head from staring at a blank project to some very rough idea of an idea, then the rest uhh kind of comes normally

another life hack if you feel that your stuff sounds too much like €existing_artist: lean into it, make it sound more like the gimmick, absolutely push it over the limit and see where it takes you

in the end you gotta keep on making stuff and exploring where your intuition takes you and evolve your taste

oh and i do this thing where i have all my wip mp3s in one big playlist that i listen to on the phone sometimes. you will be surprised how often you hear a crappy track you made x years ago and actually like it. for tracks that still sound crappy, just hit skip and let dj shuffle take you to the next stop on your journey