Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

id rather have four little 2 octave controllers with pads and knobs than some big fuckoff 88 key that i wouldnt be able to Play play anyways
yea and one with a bunch of midi mappable knobs and sliders too

You really only need like 16 pads if you want a drum interface. Not 64 like the one I got, but I'll use that for other stuff rather than drums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the benefit of the launchpad pro (over the others) is that it’s a midi device in of itself and can be used for all sorts of sequencing etc. it does seem very cool

but I mostly just want a summit everything else considered

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my problem is that once I'm over $100 or so, I'm in "just save up for a push" territory

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
absolutely. you’ll have a poo poo load of fun achmed

push vs launchpad pro what’s better

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I got launchpad pro because at the time I needed the ability to set up a custom grid sending two octaves to four midi channels and that's piss easy with novation's component system

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have an akai mpk mini2 that i got for having something small to play gigs with and carry around in a backpack and i like that it has a built in arpeggiatior. that is extremely fun and a good creative tool

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This might have already been posted, but VCVRack is available on iOS !!

Penisface posted:

i have an akai mpk mini2 that i got for having something small to play gigs with and carry around in a backpack and i like that it has a built in arpeggiatior. that is extremely fun and a good creative tool
Have one for travelling/backpacking and can confirm it's awesome.

I've saved a bunch of £££ after not buying a train ticket for two months due to mandatory WFH, and just splurged it all on a new eurorack case and a bunch of modules. I just wish the weather would be poo poo enough that I didn't feel bad being indoors to play with it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

toiletbrush posted:

This might have already been posted, but VCVRack is available on iOS !!

please tell me i can get the lightning to USB camera adapter and then hook up a USB midi controller

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turned four chords into an evenings worth of noodling, using the midi tools in ableton and arpeggiator in pigments. pigments is fuckin great but took a while to get anything worthwhile out of it which is a shame given there’s gently caress all it can’t do

it’s not surprising but amazing what some context can do for your musics

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ableton put up another free sample pack at their covid deals page

also I really wish the forums used markdown instead of bbcode

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

8bit keys dropped a new one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICX6hK3Se6k

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the Soundtoys effect rack is on sale for $100, the bundle is $200. any of y'all have thoughts on if the bundle (or the rack, I guess) is worth it? I know echo boy and decapitator are well thought of

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

the Soundtoys effect rack is on sale for $100, the bundle is $200. any of y'all have thoughts on if the bundle (or the rack, I guess) is worth it? I know echo boy and decapitator are well thought of

can you post a link?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

effect rack: https://www.soundtoys.com/product/effect-rack/

bundle: https://www.soundtoys.com/product/soundtoys-5/

another $100 off listed prices above: 100-OFF-RACK-OR-BUNDLE-ENDS-MAY30

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wow, interesting. Yea I mean for $100 the rack seemed interesting. I have fl studio producer which comes with a bunch of poo poo so it's always hard for me to tell if I have a plug-in for an effect or if it's worse or better than the other one.

But at first glance, $100 for the rack seems low risk and intriguingly useful.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the only plugin you need is Butch Vig Vocals

check out my steampunck watch

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there is a new cool unofficial firmware out for volca sample, now you can sequence it better from a computer and it does not require 10 midi channels. https://ranzee.com/volca-sample-unofficial-firmware/

volca sample is already a pretty awesome little box for all kinds of fun things, now it is even better

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Suspicious Dish posted:

the only plugin you need is Butch Vig Vocals

check out my steampunck watch

holy hell is this atrocious

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

he really is texas' finest

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

Soundtoys are having a huge sale on all of their plugins, some of them like 80% off.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I saw “loom” is like$15 and I have no additive synths so maybe I’ll take the dive. feels like I should have at least one of every kind of synth vst

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
have an old song i made that i forgot about until yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-r_69gyKw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this dude was the flakiest person ive EVER seen on craigslist and it took him a month to actually get off his rear end and meet up

champion 100, $399 new, this thing's been played twice and i got it for $220

...now soldering up a guitar cable because whoops i dont have any lmao

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I saw “loom” is like$15 and I have no additive synths so maybe I’ll take the dive. feels like I should have at least one of every kind of synth vst
i got curious and found loom 2 and loom classic, classic looks/sounds pretty great but i see it for $39

however, their other vst, Vacuum Pro is $15 right now... ?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnOHReDVHis
https://www.airmusictech.com/product/vacuum-pro

Their organ synth sounds pretty rad too but its too expensive
https://www.airmusictech.com/product/db-33

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

man jonny I have a fender 30 watt from college and that fucker's way too loud for apartment use at any but the lowest volumes. I'm jelly of your house+100w setup

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at my peak hardcore/mathrock/weird noise phase of guitarin', i had like 7 pedals and a splitter driving:

Peavey 60 watt tube head driving a 2x12 cab
300 watt Peavey bass head feeding off it with a 4x10 and just doing the low end

it was unfathomably heavy, both in sound and weight

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

that's a good find 290, a buddy had one of those and it was heavy. Lol at least you have a soldering iron. I just had to make a couple cord pruchases cuz old cords somehow had a short in it, but it was 3.5mm headphone for my ekit drumset. I have hordes of 1/4 cables now tho, same with picks. Picks everywhere

Achmed Jones posted:

man jonny I have a fender 30 watt from college and that fucker's way too loud for apartment use at any but the lowest volumes. I'm jelly of your house+100w setup

:same:

ok I bought vacuum pro, will check in later after I use it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

now I just put my guitar into my audio interface into guitar rig and other dumb poo poo in ableton, we basically only use the amp when little jones asks to

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm actually also buying a Traktor 2-channel audio interface too because you get a really good 2channel input for $139, which is market rate for something like that, but until june 1 you also get Guitar Rig 5 for free with it which loving owns

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

don't be an incredible dumbass and pay for anything when you have obviously not checked out some available stuff that is free https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/windows/instruments/free/newest

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Penisface posted:

don't be an incredible dumbass and pay for anything when you have obviously not checked out some available stuff that is free https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/windows/instruments/free/newest
this is where i got my pg-8x!

i dont think its bad to occasionally pay for stuff. with that said....

so i been messing around with the vacumn pro synth annnnd its p great - defintely a good way to spend my $15. I'll get alot more time out of this than a 6 pack of IPAs. But ill get both, why not. make sure to experiment with the presets by flipping the voices to 4 or 6 from mono

Achmed Jones posted:

now I just put my guitar into my audio interface into guitar rig and other dumb poo poo in ableton, we basically only use the amp when little jones asks to
i still use pedals becuase I didn't find the right vst distortions and i also thought they just didnt sound good. but that was 5+ years ago and i should probably revisit it becuase my CPU seems to be able to handle this stuff pretty easily. My buddy has an axe-effect that he loving loves so ive been somehwat aware of that and keep an eye out for prices

my normal guitar rig is a clean splitter into a metal distortion targeting the highs and a big muff pi targeting the lows, i then run those into a mixer and combine them to one channel. along this chain is a wah and a roland gt-8 multi effect. It sounds great, really textured, and I can hit metal-y highs and artifical harmonics and transition into crunchy lows by just playing along the fretboard. its beefy tho, the mixer is liteally mounted to the pedal board. i should replace the 10 channel one with a smaller one lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly i'm ok with paying for stuff now. it's a privileged position, to be sure, but i am absolutely impressed with my S2 and X1 and am happy to throw money at Native Instruments

Free poo poo is super good though as long as they don't get too wacky with the interface

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah I saw that NI sale. I'd be all over it but I got a Scarlett 8i6 not too long ago. I wish they were running that deal on basically anything except audio interfaces cause $200 is too much for guitar rig but free-with-a-thing-I-kinda-want-anyway is the perfect incentive

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

i still use pedals becuase I didn't find the right vst distortions and i also thought they just didnt sound good. but that was 5+ years ago and i should probably revisit it becuase my CPU seems to be able to handle this stuff pretty easily. My buddy has an axe-effect that he loving loves so ive been somehwat aware of that and keep an eye out for prices

my normal guitar rig is a clean splitter into a metal distortion targeting the highs and a big muff pi targeting the lows, i then run those into a mixer and combine them to one channel. along this chain is a wah and a roland gt-8 multi effect. It sounds great, really textured, and I can hit metal-y highs and artifical harmonics and transition into crunchy lows by just playing along the fretboard. its beefy tho, the mixer is liteally mounted to the pedal board. i should replace the 10 channel one with a smaller one lol

NGL id rather have a sick pedalboard and stuff, but I live in a 2BR apartment with my wife and son so it's not really in the cards. I'm not any good at guitar, either, so like maybe in a year if I keep practicing I'll be able to justify the money+space but for now playing with guitar rig is good enough

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I not only am not that good at guitar ( i never really learned my scales ) but i have eighteen years of cubital tunnel syndrome that i'm trying to now undo via some simple physical therapy exercises. I traded my rock status for my computer toucher status :(

all that matters is that you honk out some farts and have fun

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly i'm ok with paying for stuff now. it's a privileged position, to be sure, but i am absolutely impressed with my S2 and X1 and am happy to throw money at Native Instruments

Free poo poo is super good though as long as they don't get too wacky with the interface

i pay for stuff too. but this comes after years of experimentation with free stuff to push myself and my tools so now i know what i want and when i pay for something it does not end up unused

going hmm 15 bucks that's not a lot of money i will get all different types of synth even though i barely know what's out there.. sorry that's a recipe for wasting a lot of money and ending up doubly sad because it turns out that even if you pay for a synth you still need to know what you are doing in order to make it do what you want

for example i know my limits, i am never paying for a fm synth. i got dexed for free, tried it once and put it back.
TAL synths - i used many of them in my first tracks many years ago until i got a physical yamaha workstation with a keyboard and realized i just care more for romplers

you can make this journey with paying 20 bucks here, 20 bucks there and still not make something that you are happy with, or you can try out some free stuff, learn it and buy something really great after you really know what you want

like probably the first most important thing is just to get good monitor speakers or headphones so you can hear what you are doing

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ohhh, yea I'm way past that, I assumed we all were but that was presumptuous of me. Echi if you're new you should definitely mine the gently caress out of that kvr site for free plugins, they are really useful. I just used it to try a couple organ plugins (of which most had broken download links or just didn't work inside the vst host.... But that's nbd cuz it's worth the time to find the ones that do work for free)

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
picked up some audeze lcd-2s. they sound good and make me look like Princess Leia.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
realized that i only have embarrassing heavy metal shredmonster guitars and my original toy guitar, another order to Rondo

time to honk and tonk

161 bucks shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
post your other axes