Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prophet45
Aug 26, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I got my Enfield last year I took it to a gunsmith. It had some markings on it that could have suggested a few different things. Anywhere from a unit marking to a drill-do-not-fire marking. I had them clean it up for me while it was there but I wanted them to see if it worked. They put some rounds through it and it worked just fine. But they found out the magazine doesn't work so after some fun with some pliers I got it to feed.

It's up to you but due to the markings on mine I wanted to be sure it was safe.

Yeah, I'm really anxious to find out how well the magazine is. They seem rather fiddly on the krag.

All the numbers seem to match, except for the mount for the rear sight, oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

rump buttman posted:

I was thinking literally pocket w/ holster of some kind. I am weary of wearing anything on my belt in the shop (tool and die) because I donít want to bump anything. I usually wear a vest under my apron. I was thinking of using the exterior vest pocket.

I also know that practically speaking, I should shoot a bunch of rounds (hundreds? thousands?) out of whatever gun I want to carry before carrying. Even if itís just carrying around the shop.

^^^^^^^^^^
Are kahrs bad or just bad compared to glocks? With my wife already having a 19 a 43 already makes the most practical sense. I did like shooting the brother in laws Kahr. I thought the trigger let me be more accurate.

There are a lot of people here with better qualifications than me to give shooting advice, but I've put a gently caress ton of rounds through P3AT/LCP patterned guns. (Look up Ruger LCP 1 and you'll get the idea.)

Those guns can be punishing to shoot, especially at the start of your "shooting career." I'd advise watching your shooting habits when working with pocket guns, because those guns are pretty flinch inducing if you aren't careful.

But I'm not here to give shooting advice, I wanted to share a story.

A few years ago, I upgraded to a purple Ruger LCP. Like I mentioned, I've put a lot of rounds through those guns. But I broke a rule of concealed carry - I carried the gun without shooting it. I owned four or five Rugers and felt comfortable shooting that type of gun.

When I finally got to the range, it was a lemon. It absolutely couldn't get through more than two or three rounds without having a nasty malfunction. Because I was stupid and overconfident, I was carrying a gun that would have jammed.

Ruger did the right thing and replaced the slide assembly and had it back to me in about a week. But every gun manufacturer can make a lemon. Test your guns before you trust your life to them.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

prophet45 posted:

Yeah, I'm really anxious to find out how well the magazine is. They seem rather fiddly on the krag.
The thing you have to watch for is stacking the rounds so that the rims on the top rounds are behind of the ones lower than them. That's bad and causes rimlock, where it won't be able to feed a round because the round is hanging up on the round below it.

Also last I knew there was never a "hot" 30-40 like there is with say 45-70. It was a smokeless round to begin with and SAAMI spec ammo should be fine and dandy.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

prophet45 posted:

Hey.
I just bought a well over hundred years old Krag. It's almost entirely original, though the barrel might have been changed at some point. The seller doesn't know when it was last fired (which is fairly common for these guns, a lot of them just show up on grandpa's old things) but it looks to be in great shape.

What should I do before taking it to the range to test it? I assume I should stick to light loads, but do I need to have a professional have a look at it first?

I bought the gun mostly for historical reasons, but I really want to use it for having fun with some manual action ipsc, and for some general loving about, so only stuff that doesn't require the heavier loads that would be needed for hunting and such.

I would also direct you to this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909624&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

In which other goons with similar interests in historical firearms share their love of the same (and pictures too).

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I think Kahrs are decent and I pocket carry one occasionally. I sent it back twice before it stopped jamming on me. The customer service was great though which is why Iíd consider buying again. I wouldnít recommend one for someoneís first gun and I think the only selling point is the trigger, which is usually a love/hate ordeal. Iím in the love camp and I shoot it very accurately.

Iíd go to a shop and get an idea of a size you would actually be comfortably carrying to meet your needs. You donít realize how small a gun the LCP really is until you have it in your hands the first time. If you do go that size, and if you have the budget, you may additionally consider something larger that is more enjoyable to practice with (though youíll need to be proficient with any gun you carry).

A Glock 43 will probably be a very good fit for your use case.

And yes, get a holster for any gun you carry.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Thanks for the information everyone (and with my other inquiries). Sounds like I really should wait until I can go to the gun shop/range, handle a bunch of models and put in enough trigger time to make sure it always pops before putting it on me.

Looking forward to check out the lcps along with the small glocks and kahrs side by side when I can.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

rump buttman posted:

Thanks for the information everyone (and with my other inquiries). Sounds like I really should wait until I can go to the gun shop/range, handle a bunch of models and put in enough trigger time to make sure it always pops before putting it on me.

Looking forward to check out the lcps along with the small glocks and kahrs side by side when I can.

Opinions Ahead - Beware - Some other posters shoot more than me and a few shoot a shitload more than me

I've got both a G43, LCP, and Kel Tec P3AT that the LCP was patterned from.

The LCP is a true pocket gun. I've carried some variant of it since 2008/09ish and it goes everywhere. If you decide to carry, it needs to be an all the time thing. It's like a seat belt - you always wear it because it's about safety. Those tiny little .380s will disappear in a pocket.

The G43 is also a carry gun for me. But I have IWB (Inside the Waistband) and OWB (outside the waistband) holsters for it. I bought a pocket holster, then laughed at the concept when I tried. It's a much bigger firearm. Maybe you could pocket carry it in cargo pockets? Hell if I know.

The LCP is a bitch to shoot, though. Trigger bite was a problem for me. I have long, skinny fingers and my trigger finger kept getting caught between the trigger and the guard which would draw blood. Putting 50 rounds through one is a chore, even after practice.

The G43, in my opinion, is an easy shooter. It is simple to get on site and make good shots. Shooting it is a breeze. But, it's a lot bigger. Certain outfits preclude me from carrying it.

With carry guns, it's all about sacrifice. Do you want a gun that goes everywhere? Or a gun that is easy to shoot? For those reasons, I regularly carry a Smith and Wesson 640 revolver, an LCP, and a G43. Sometimes you need different solutions for different circumstances.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah basically zero pocket guns are actually fun to shoot for extended periods of time. They serve a purpose and that's about it.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I shot a G42 a while back (and I own a G43) and I thought it was super pleasant to shoot. .380 ACP and not 9mm. I also though the P365 was not bad.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I have a G42 and I love it. I agree that it's nice to shoot. I have a TLR-6 on it and it works great. The pinky mag extension really helps.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

The G42 is surprisingly fun to shoot. It's not quite pocket sized but it will fit into some of my pants pockets with a good holster. I usually carry it IWB though.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

I'm looking at getting a cheapish (<$500) full size 9mm mainly just for fun. I'm looking at a few different ones and want a second/third/fifth opinion.

My list based on my lovely internet research is, in no particular order:

Sig Sauer 2022
Remington RP9
Canik TP9
Hi Point C9, this is topping my list right now This is a joke!
Ruger American 9mm Pro 8607

I'm not exactly new to using firearms, just new to buying them. If there's a better option that I'm missing please let me know.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Adequate Panther posted:

Remington RP9

Those two should also be eliminated.

The Canik and Sig 2022 are OK, but I don't know why you wouldn't go with a Glock 17, S&W M&P, SIG 320, Walther PPQ or a CZ instead.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Canik Comment - I haven't shot one

The owner at the local gun store has swapped his carry piece to a Canik. He loving loves it and lets everyone see one. I'm skeptical of it being a sales tactic, because it's cheaper than most everything else in the gun counter.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Craptacular posted:

Those two should also be eliminated.

The Canik and Sig 2022 are OK, but I don't know why you wouldn't go with a Glock 17, S&W M&P, SIG 320, Walther PPQ or a CZ instead.

I was iffy on the RP9, I'd heard decent things about the Ruger, though. I'm not a fan of the Glock style personally, but no issues with the others. Do you have specific pros and cons to each?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Remington got bought and turned into an utter trash company. I have never seen a gun as poorly made as their current line of pistols.

Here is a video about them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Next on my list is a Sig P320 in Coyote Brown (required) but that's about $549 so it's above your budget. I just got a Glock 19 and I like it. It goes for about $500ish but as you said you're not a fan of it and to be honest Glocks are just boring. I shoot pretty well with them though. I love my G42.

To be honest I haven't heard of a single one you posted besides the Hi-Point. I'm sure other people here have some good opinions like Craptacular. Also you could look into getting used.

quick edit: I see you said full size and the Glock 19 is sort of a medium sized, and a Glock. It fits my hands pretty well though since I don't have giant mitts.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Remington got bought and turned into an utter trash company. I have never seen a gun as poorly made as their current line of pistols.

Here is a video about them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg

I didn't know that they had been bought out. That's really sad that a very old name that is synonymous with guns could get ruined like that.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Adequate Panther posted:

I was iffy on the RP9, I'd heard decent things about the Ruger, though. I'm not a fan of the Glock style personally, but no issues with the others. Do you have specific pros and cons to each?

Not really, I'm 100% Glock as far as semi-auto centerfire handguns.

One thing to consider is that while a specific gun might not be a *bad* gun, you have to ask if it's bringing something to the table that some other gun isn't. I don't think that's the case for any of the guns you listed. It'll be extremely easy to relatively easy to find extra magazines, spare parts, and holsters for the guns in my list, whereas for other guns it might not.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Get a Glock is the official newbie advice for like a decade now.

Having said that, my first full size semiauto pistol was a Beretta PX4 storm, and I love the goofy thing, hammer, slide mounted safety/decocker and all.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Adequate Panther posted:

I can only personally speak to glocks and 320's

Glock:
Pros
Incredible aftermarket support; Mags, spare parts, holsters, accessories are all common, cheap, and readily available.
Easily the most reliable stryker on the market. I've put over 10k through my 19 and 34 combined and the only issues were due to a short slide catch spring on my 34 (still ran 99.993% of the time at my last class).
Said lack of style is a deliberate design choice that forces you to angle the muzzle down and engage the largest parts of your arm to control recoil allowing you to maintain good accuracy at speed. The blockyness make it easier to hold and torque the gun on target.

Cons
Requires customization to be make up for certain shortfalls (the original sights on the older models are not the best, trigger isn't great out of the box)
MOS system is subpar for mounting optics requiring third party plates

Sig P320
Pro's
Incredibly customizable out of the box. The serialized triggers allows one firearm to switch between full size, compact, and subcombat as long as you have the conversion kits. Changing frames does not need an FFL.
Decent factory trigger, good sights.
Adoption by US Army means that parts and aftermarket support will continue to exist whenever SIG gets bored and moves on to new projects.

Cons
High bore axis combined with a more neutral wrist position means that while the gun points well, recoil control is mediocre. I consistently shot 1" high due to the grip shifting on me during recoil (gun was verified to be accurate by a much better shooter then me)
Older models are not drop safe
Mags are expensive and SIG has a bad habit of not supporting older product lines

A post from a Thunder Ranch instructor explaining grip angle in more detail.

I'll let someone else comment on CZ and M&P's. I have heard good things about the PPQ from sources that I trust but I haven't had time to shoot one for myself.

::edit::
For what it's worth I switched from a 320 to a glock 19 because of the performance difference I saw at speed. I have seen M&Ps go down in classes before but it's a limited sample size.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Adequate Panther posted:

I'm looking at getting a cheapish (<$500) full size 9mm mainly just for fun. I'm looking at a few different ones and want a second/third/fifth opinion.

Sig Sauer 2022
Remington RP9
Canik TP9

I'm not exactly new to using firearms, just new to buying them. If there's a better option that I'm missing please let me know.

Depending on your state, the Hi Point may not even be available; they don't pass most melting-point laws.

You might want to consider the Smith & Wesson M&P. You can still find some first generations out there for less than $500, and the 2.0 versions are right at and sometimes slightly above that price. The 2.0 has a better trigger and more aggressive stippling, but the first generation is still a decent gun. They come with a few different backstraps that you can choose from to make it fit your hand better.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Craptacular posted:

Not really, I'm 100% Glock as far as semi-auto centerfire handguns.

One thing to consider is that while a specific gun might not be a *bad* gun, you have to ask if it's bringing something to the table that some other gun isn't. I don't think that's the case for any of the guns you listed. It'll be extremely easy to relatively easy to find extra magazines, spare parts, and holsters for the guns in my list, whereas for other guns it might not.

That's a very good point. Thanks.

tarlibone posted:

Depending on your state, the Hi Point may not even be available; they don't pass most melting-point laws.

You might want to consider the Smith & Wesson M&P. You can still find some first generations out there for less than $500, and the 2.0 versions are right at and sometimes slightly above that price. The 2.0 has a better trigger and more aggressive stippling, but the first generation is still a decent gun. They come with a few different backstraps that you can choose from to make it fit your hand better.

My local store has a 2.0 for $560, and you're the second person to mention it, I'll look at this a these closer. Thanks!

MantisClaw posted:

I can only personally speak to glocks and 320's

Glock:
Pros
Incredible aftermarket support; Mags, spare parts, holsters, accessories are all common, cheap, and readily available.
Easily the most reliable stryker on the market. I've put over 10k through my 19 and 34 combined and the only issues were due to a short slide catch spring on my 34 (still ran 99.993% of the time at my last class).
Said lack of style is a deliberate design choice that forces you to angle the muzzle down and engage the largest parts of your arm to control recoil allowing you to maintain good accuracy at speed. The blockyness make it easier to hold and torque the gun on target.

Cons
Requires customization to be make up for certain shortfalls (the original sights on the older models are not the best, trigger isn't great out of the box)
MOS system is subpar for mounting optics requiring third party plates

Sig P320
Pro's
Incredibly customizable out of the box. The serialized triggers allows one firearm to switch between full size, compact, and subcombat as long as you have the conversion kits. Changing frames does not need an FFL.
Decent factory trigger, good sights.
Adoption by US Army means that parts and aftermarket support will continue to exist whenever SIG gets bored and moves on to new projects.

Cons
High bore axis combined with a more neutral wrist position means that while the gun points well, recoil control is mediocre. I consistently shot 1" high due to the grip shifting on me during recoil (gun was verified to be accurate by a much better shooter then me)
Older models are not drop safe
Mags are expensive and SIG has a bad habit of not supporting older product lines

A post from a Thunder Ranch instructor explaining grip angle in more detail.

I'll let someone else comment on CZ and M&P's. I have heard good things about the PPQ from sources that I trust but I haven't had time to shoot one for myself.

For what it's worth I switched from a 320 to a glock 19 because of the performance difference I saw at speed. I have seen M&Ps go down in classes before but it's a limited sample size.

I appreciate the write-up. I'm liking the sound of the 320 more and more

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Give the CZ P-10 F a look too. I would definitely consider used in your price range.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 19, 2020

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Adequate Panther posted:

Sig Sauer 2022
Remington RP9
Canik TP9

Any particular reason you chose those guns?

Assuming "just for fun" means "going to the range 5x a year to shoot 100 rounds each time," which I feel is the average workload for most people's guns, any of those will do fine. From that list, I'd pick the Sig 2022. Like the Beretta PX4, it's a good gun that was released at the wrong time and sold poorly.

However,

Craptacular posted:

This is very important and it bears being quoted for truth. If at any point you decide that shooting 500 rounds a year slow-fire at the indoor range isn't enough, and you want to carry your pistol around or shoot it in USPSA matches, you will find that your Great For The Money pistol isn't actually so good for the money.

This happened to me. My first pistol was a Sig P6. I was happy with my P6 until I started trying to buy holsters and magazines, especially the magazines. By the time I sold it I was easily a couple hundred bucks deeper into it than if I'd just bought a Glock 19.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Whatís a reasonable* amount of magazines to own for

1) going to the range 5x a year to shoot 100 rounds each time

2) ccw

3) beginner level pistol sports

*reasonable being that sweet spot between not over buying and not wanting to skimp.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

rump buttman posted:

What’s a reasonable* amount of magazines to own for

2) ccw

*reasonable being that sweet spot between not over buying and not wanting to skimp.

I mean, this is completely objective and will vary person to person. Some goons have literally made thrones from their mags.

Me though I have six 15-round mags for my 92FS. And thats good enough for short range trips.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Loading mags at the range, especially a noisy indoor range, is a bitch.

If you can show up with loaded mags, you'll spend more time shooting. I have a minimum of three per gun, with the exception of my LCP. I think I have seven for my G19. I'd bet some of the comp shooters here have over a dozen.

(Of course I joined a range that doesn't let you bring in pre-loaded mags.)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

rump buttman posted:

2) ccw

1) depends on if you want to be reloading mags at the range. For guns with cheap or annoying to load mags it might be easier/more enjoyable to load up all the ammo you're going to shoot ahead of time. For that you might need 6-10 mags. If you don't mind loading it up every time you empty the mag then you only need 1-2.

2) in the unlikely event you have to shoot someone you probably won't get in a prolonged firefight with them so one is probably plenty if you're carrying a modern pistol with a decent magazine size. I know some people carry an extra mag or two. So 1-3.

3) not personally experienced with competitive pistol shooting but from what I've seen you'd probably need 3-4 for a longer stage?

Personally I like having 3-4 mags for every gun and that's a pretty good number for being able to shoot quite a bit before having to load everything up again and not having too many mags to keep track of.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 19, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

2) ccw

1) whatever the gun comes with
2) for modern 9mm semi-autos, just carry one spare
3) for USPSA you'd need a minimum of five for Production division. Six or seven (to have spares in case something breaks) would be better. You could get by with three or four for Limited or Carry Optics.

It never hurts to have extras though.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

rump buttman posted:

2) ccw

I can tell you that if you have a spreadsheet of your magazines that's intended to keep you from impulse buying more when they go on sale, you've probably exceeded "that sweet spot".

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Don't forget magazines are consumables and also very likely to be legislated so at a point in time you may be stuck with whatever you have on hand. I honestly don't believe you can ever over buy on magazines. I have ~75 ar mags and ~30 Glock mags and would be more comfortable getting those numbers to 100 and 50 respectively.

At a bare minimum I would have at least 10 magazines for any gun I shot with regularity and depended my life on.

Edit: just looked at my list and I'm at 106 ar mags, 32 17rnd Glock mags, 11 15rnd mags, and 9 21rnd mags.

FauxhawkSatan fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 19, 2020

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

MantisClaw posted:

glocks and 320's

I didnít notice my difference in splits over a timer between our g17 and a non legion p320 x5

The sig is more accurate than the glock. Reviews in gun mags back that up. The barrel in the p320s at least the x series lock up tighter. You can get great accuracy out of glocks but most likely youíll need a fitted barrel

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

FauxhawkSatan posted:

Don't forget magazines are consumables and also very likely to be legislated so at a point in time you may be stuck with whatever you have on hand. I honestly don't believe you can ever over buy on magazines. I have ~75 ar mags and ~30 Glock mags and would be more comfortable getting those numbers to 100 and 50 respectively.

At a bare minimum I would have at least 10 magazines for any gun I shot with regularity and depended my life on.

Edit: just looked at my list and I'm at 106 ar mags, 32 17rnd Glock mags, 11 15rnd mags, and 9 21rnd mags.

I keep a minimum of 3 mags for any gun I consider curiosity/teaching guns, 5 for anything I find fun, and 10+ for a training/self defense/competition/serious business gun. I just grab an extra glock or AR mag as a thank you to the local gun shop for letting me window shop.

californiasushi posted:

I didnít notice my difference in splits over a timer between our g17 and a non legion p320 x5

The sig is more accurate than the glock. Reviews in gun mags back that up. The barrel in the p320s at least the x series lock up tighter. You can get great accuracy out of glocks but most likely youíll need a fitted barrel

Don't know what to tell you. It was a repeatable, and measurable difference for me. Stock Gen 3 Glock 19 vs a 320 with Trijicon HD's
It pissed me off to no end since I enjoyed shooting sigs and hated glocks but there's no sense in arguing with the timer. In many ways it's better now. I give zero fucks about em so I focus on shooting the pistol better. Then again, I'm only pulling high 80s to low 90s on B8's at 25 yards.

Out of curiosity, have you had the chance to see how the Gen 5's fair accuracy wise?

MantisClaw fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 19, 2020

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

californiasushi posted:

As a die-hard Glock fanboi, I 100% agree. I think the sig p320 is a slightly better handgun and probably the best choice right now for a novice shooter. It's trigger is objectively better out of the box and it's easier to shoot. I think the accuracy is a moot point to most people because most people can't shoot to the max mechanical accuracy of either gun. I do think the Glock is a better platform because parts/magazines/accessories are cheaper and more available and glocks are stupid easy to work on. The Glock, in my experience, requires a higher amount of skill to shoot well and a higher amount of concentration to shoot consistently well (once I start fatiguing, my performance with a Glock worsens moreso than with a sig). The gen 5 glocks are only slightly less accurate than Sig's. I think the tighter lockup of Sig's does also contribute to less reliability in adverse conditions. I've seen this in suppressed shooting where my old sig p320's choked a lot more when shooting suppressed and my glocks rarely do. Suppressors tend to gunk up pistols pretty quick which I think replicates shooting a very dirty gun although I never saw any malfunctions on sig p320's when shooting a bunch in the desert recently which also gets guns dirty.

Edit: A downside to glocks ease of customization is that people will put in a bunch of non-oem parts, including swapping slides with non-oem slides and the guns won't be as reliable. I think once you start going that far, you can't really blame Glock for your gun sucking. I say this as someone who fucks with all my glocks but I generally only swap trigger components and prefer to swap entire trigger assemblies that have been designed to work together and not piece meal things together.

FauxhawkSatan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 19, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Captain Log posted:

Loading mags at the range, especially a noisy indoor range, is a bitch.

If you can show up with loaded mags, you'll spend more time shooting. I have a minimum of three per gun, with the exception of my LCP. I think I have seven for my G19. I'd bet some of the comp shooters here have over a dozen.

(Of course I joined a range that doesn't let you bring in pre-loaded mags.)

At an indoor range it sucks. On the rare occasion that I need to go to one of those I load everything I'm going to shoot.

But at an outdoor range where you can just chill and get some fresh air? I do not mind at all thumbing rounds into a mag while sitting at a bench. If I'm shooting outdoors I'll usually just bring one mag with me if it's a gun and mag I know well (i.e. I know they're reliable together) or maybe 2 or 3 if its' a new gun or I'm working a new mag into the rotation.

I've got a whole box just full of mags that I bought because hey more mags more better that I've never even loaded.

. . . I think there's G43 mag in there. Rifle, not pistol.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Having a pile of loaded magazines is really night if you shoot at outdoor ranges in cold or rainy weather.

It also saves time that I can do the evening before after my kid goes to bed so I can use my range time to shoot more when I get to go.

Realistically the number of magazines I own for a given gun is something like $150 worth whatever that comes out to. That might mean 1 or 2 Sako rifle magazines or 7 Glock magazines. Itís certainly why my P10c only had a few magazines yet itís easy to add a $21 Glock mag onto an order to clear free shipping thresholds.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

that's fair. i don't have any gen 5 glocks but my current project is building up a gen 3 glock 19 with a dot. so far, i have a complete gen 3 lower and a gen 5 g19 barrel, specifically because people mention how accurate the gen 5 barrels are so i'll test it after i get everything together. i know dr. awesome better groups with his gen 5s than i ever did with my gen 3s even with drop-in aftermarket barrels so i'm hopeful. the best review i could find on the accuracy of the gen 5 barrels is from the g19 review on handgunsmag.com:

that's a great point, i definitely agree that the p320 is probably a better gun but the glock is definitely a better platform. i think the sig p320 will get better about that in the future though since the military is using them now and i think they'll get more popular

i also agree that with so much aftermarket you can start sacrificing reliability, which is what makes a glock so great in the first place. i know our g17 with a victory 1st barrel and g26 with a kkm barrel, both with brownells rmr cut slides, don't cycle fed syntech. i'd imagine i'd need to tune them with different recoil springs to make them work with syntech but so far i'm ok with them so far since they shoot fine with other types of ammo.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

At an indoor range it sucks. On the rare occasion that I need to go to one of those I load everything I'm going to shoot.

But at an outdoor range where you can just chill and get some fresh air? I do not mind at all thumbing rounds into a mag while sitting at a bench. If I'm shooting outdoors I'll usually just bring one mag with me if it's a gun and mag I know well (i.e. I know they're reliable together) or maybe 2 or 3 if its' a new gun or I'm working a new mag into the rotation.

I've got a whole box just full of mags that I bought because hey more mags more better that I've never even loaded.

. . . I think there's G43 mag in there. Rifle, not pistol.

Yeah especially with the down time between live fire to reset targets and reload mags. I usually just bring 3 mags for a gun to the range, unless I'm purposely testing a bunch of mags or something. I like to keep at least 6 mags for guns I like though. Can't speak to carry/USDPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

I just bought the Ruger AR556 from my local gun shoppe, but upon unpacking this thing, it's leaking oil from every orifice, what do I do?