Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Just clean it.

Oily gun is pretty normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Ruger in particular oils the everliving hell out of their guns. My PC carbine was so oily I didn't even remove it from the bag to inspect it in the store.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Same rifle, same deal. When I got it home I removed the action and oil literally poured out of the stock. The internals were pretty normal so they must have a guy that applies oil with a Super Soaker after final assembly.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Smegma Princess X posted:

I just bought the Ruger AR556 from my local gun shoppe, but upon unpacking this thing, it's leaking oil from every orifice, what do I do?
Someone funnier than me can make a joke about "shits where it eats" and "olestra."

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Dip Viscous posted:

Same rifle, same deal. When I got it home I removed the action and oil literally poured out of the stock. The internals were pretty normal so they must have a guy that applies oil with a Super Soaker after final assembly.

In manufacturing plants packaging is typically done by the lowest skilled or newest employees. Often thatís where temps go.

Quality/operations love to use packaging as a slam dunk for corrective actions when there are customers complaints. Itís a lot easier if customers are complaining about corrosion to hose it down with more oil than cost them 2 centers than to track back process control in a complex finishing process.

NeurosisHead
Jul 21, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

On the note of oil, my friendly local gun shop guy swears by Hornady One shot instead of solvent to clean and oil to lube. Anyone around here have any experience, good or bad?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

NeurosisHead posted:

On the note of oil, my friendly local gun shop guy swears by Hornady One shot instead of solvent to clean and oil to lube. Anyone around here have any experience, good or bad?

Unless it's different than the One Shot for reloading, I wouldn't recommend it for guns. In my experience, One Shot is REALLY slippery from about 1 minute to 15 minutes after you apply it. After than, it starts getting a bit sticky, and stays that way. Which works fine for reloading, since you spray your cases, wait about a minute, then prep them all while it's still slippery, but unless you wipe or tumble it off, it'll start getting sticky after that. You can still just wipe or tumble it off when it's sticky, but it's still a problem when you leave it on. Every time I've tried to lube the rams on my reloading press with One Shot, they're smooth for a little while, but then start getting sticky and I have to either lube again, or clean it off.

I just use the same oil that I put in my trucks engine for lubing guns. For solvents, I like Boretech Eliminator if it's really dirty (like for soaking off built up carbon on suppressor mounts) or M-Pro 7 for normal cleaning (mostly because it doesn't smell and isn't oily).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Any kind of product that is supposed to be both a lubricant and a solvent is going to be pretty crap since a good solvent should remove the lubricant (and everything else) from your gun

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Seconding Boretech Eliminator for a cleaning solvent. For wiping down small amounts of gunk and just oiling an entire gun to prevent rust I really like the Hoppes oil wipes. They come in a plastic container that holds like 60 and you can oil every surface on a pistol with one and a rifle with 1-2. I use Slip2000 EWL 30 or their grease for stuff that needs a more substantial lube.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

NeurosisHead posted:

I like it, has worked so far on my AR15. Also good for squeaky doors.

The can is filled with like 96%ish hexane per the MSDS so it really breaks poo poo up too.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Hello all,

I am new to TFR, but not new to guns, but AM new to making (lego-ing?) my own from scratch (completely prefabricated parts).

I grew up mostly shooting RHMSA big and small bore silhouette in CA, and later did a bunch of skeet / sporting clays, but would like to build my very own accurateish rifle. I think I've settled on the .308 as a good general purpose starter. I do have a Rem 700 in 223 and a ruger 1022, both with meh scopes.

I think rather than canibalizing some cabelas deal, I'd like to go as much from the ground up as is practicable without paying a bunch of fat guys in some texas industrial park 3k for a barrel and custom action, just going with a 700 barreled action or howa 1500 in 308. Is this a dumb thing to do if I am hoping to have a sub MOA kit rifle?

Also, there is a dizzying array of stocks, or also "chassis" out there in an astonishing price range.

Also Optics...

So three questions:
1. Are the howa / rem 700 barreled action combos worth it or just...asking for trouble? Do I need to pay the bearded fats or cannibalize a factory complete for the action and barrel?

2. For stocks, I guess traditional is 22-24" barrel, might go heavy for accuracy, but would also like to hike it around, so is a chassis with a folding stock asking for trouble? Just get the pink injection molded dildo for $50?

3. Scopes, is there a preferred level brand that isnt russian moon crystals with adjustable -20x to 3500x zooms? Whats reasonable to spend without having a frustrating experience trying to shoot it?

TIA

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Basic Poster posted:

Hello all,

I am new to TFR, but not new to guns, but AM new to making (lego-ing?) my own from scratch (completely prefabricated parts).

I grew up mostly shooting RHMSA big and small bore silhouette in CA, and later did a bunch of skeet / sporting clays, but would like to build my very own accurateish rifle. I think I've settled on the .308 as a good general purpose starter. I do have a Rem 700 in 223 and a ruger 1022, both with meh scopes.

I think rather than canibalizing some cabelas deal, I'd like to go as much from the ground up as is practicable without paying a bunch of fat guys in some texas industrial park 3k for a barrel and custom action, just going with a 700 barreled action or howa 1500 in 308. Is this a dumb thing to do if I am hoping to have a sub MOA kit rifle?

Also, there is a dizzying array of stocks, or also "chassis" out there in an astonishing price range.

Also Optics...

So three questions:
1. Are the howa / rem 700 barreled action combos worth it or just...asking for trouble? Do I need to pay the bearded fats or cannibalize a factory complete for the action and barrel?

2. For stocks, I guess traditional is 22-24" barrel, might go heavy for accuracy, but would also like to hike it around, so is a chassis with a folding stock asking for trouble? Just get the pink injection molded dildo for $50?

3. Scopes, is there a preferred level brand that isnt russian moon crystals with adjustable -20x to 3500x zooms? Whats reasonable to spend without having a frustrating experience trying to shoot it?

TIA

The R700 platform in some form is definitely the most popular for most precision rifle builds but usually in clone form. A bare 700 action when available is around $400 and a custom R700 action starts around $1k but is worth it if you are building from the ground up because you canít tighten the tolerances. Iíve been down the R700 rabbit hole and my answer is that itís better to buy a better gun to begin with. That could be a nicer R700 clone or something like a T3x CTR/Ruger RPR. No one builds on Howa actions anymore.

Stock or chassis is largely personal preference. You can get a super stiff traditional stock from manners or buy a chassis if you want to LEGO up the accessories more easily. If you want to hike with a chassis precision rifle you should look at the Sig Cross.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scopes are the gold standard of precision rifle entry level scopes. They are ~$700 depending on options.

Also seriously consider getting 6.5 creedmoor over 308. Itís a more efficient, more accurate standard rifle round that is now readily available at the same cost as good 308 ammo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

my kinda ape posted:

Seconding Boretech Eliminator for a cleaning solvent. For wiping down small amounts of gunk and just oiling an entire gun to prevent rust I really like the Hoppes oil wipes. They come in a plastic container that holds like 60 and you can oil every surface on a pistol with one and a rifle with 1-2. I use Slip2000 EWL 30 or their grease for stuff that needs a more substantial lube.

Oh yeah boretech is some good poo poo. It also doesnít smell like kerosene which is a plus if you live with someone who doesnít like petrochemical smells.

Their copper removal stuff is also great.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The R700 platform in some form is definitely the most popular for most precision rifle builds but usually in clone form. A bare 700 action when available is around $400 and a custom R700 action starts around $1k but is worth it if you are building from the ground up because you can’t tighten the tolerances. I’ve been down the R700 rabbit hole and my answer is that it’s better to buy a better gun to begin with. That could be a nicer R700 clone or something like a T3x CTR/Ruger RPR. No one builds on Howa actions anymore.

Stock or chassis is largely personal preference. You can get a super stiff traditional stock from manners or buy a chassis if you want to LEGO up the accessories more easily. If you want to hike with a chassis precision rifle you should look at the Sig Cross.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scopes are the gold standard of precision rifle entry level scopes. They are ~$700 depending on options.

Also seriously consider getting 6.5 creedmoor over 308. It’s a more efficient, more accurate standard rifle round that is now readily available at the same cost as good 308 ammo.
Thanks, great advice and happy that I didn't already try and save a few bucks to ensure I had a lovely experience.
The cross looks neat, can't seem that find any available though. Do you have any recommendations for a decent R700 custom shop and also a chassis platform that might get me close to a cross weight?

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

i think your post is too open-ended to answer meaningfully

what kind of shooting do you plan on doing? target shooting? what kind of accuracy expectations do you have for 5-shot groups and how far do you plan on shooting? what kind of targets?

you said you wanted to hike, how far do you plan on hiking with it and how often? will this be a gun you'll mostly shoot a decent bit at the range and hike with a little or something you plan on hiking with usually and shoot not very much?

do you mind troubleshooting much? custom guns can be more finicky than factory guns

what's your budget? do you mind buying used?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Basic Poster posted:

Thanks, great advice and happy that I didn't already try and save a few bucks to ensure I had a lovely experience.
The cross looks neat, can't seem that find any available though. Do you have any recommendations for a decent R700 custom shop and also a chassis platform that might get me close to a cross weight?

The Sig cross was announced ~4 months ago and will likely be available in the next few months. If you canít wait, itís a straight up rip off of the Q Fix.

I would really really recommend against buying a custom rifle unless you really really know what you want and it isnít commercially available. A custom R700 build is $3k-5k in most cases and really should add another $2k-3.5k in optics on top of it. If you are hellbent on a $5,000+ rifle you should probably do a bit more research than is on the newbie thread. The upper limit for production class in PRS is $4,500 between rifle and optics as a point of reference.

I think you really want a Tikka T3X CTR or a Ruger RPR and not a 700 clone. The 700 is a great platform from the view point you can customize the poo poo out of it but I donít think as a stand alone rifle itís that great if you arenít shooting out a barrel annually and constantly swapping chassis for the best, newest, hottest barrier rests.

If you want a production R700 clone Bergara and Christensen Arms are 2 options to look at in the $1-2k price range.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Flatland Crusoe posted:

If you are hellbent on a $5,000+ rifle you should probably do a bit more research than is on the newbie thread.

Fair point. Is there a dedicated thread for bolt action rifle quackery?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Long range shooting thread is your best bet.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

My wife owned guns before we got married. I owned a gun before we got married. Now that we are married, can we use each otherís guns freely? (In the context of the law) Can I travel to a range, and shoot her guns without her being present or without her explicit permission for that particular trip without breaking any rules? (Assuming all other rules were followed) Is that what trusts are for?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

rump buttman posted:

My wife owned guns before we got married. I owned a gun before we got married. Now that we are married, can we use each otherís guns freely? (In the context of the law) Can I travel to a range, and shoot her guns without her being present or without her explicit permission for that particular trip without breaking any rules? (Assuming all other rules were followed) Is that what trusts are for?
What state do you live in?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Parts Kit posted:

What state do you live in?

Washington

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Yes you can use each others' guns.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Are we talking title 1 guns? Or NFA toys? Because NFA weapons registered to an individual always (very few exceptions) require that individual to be present when in use. NFA weapons belonging to a trust or Corp can be used by anyone listed as a responsible person.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

JRay88 posted:

Are we talking title 1 guns? Or NFA toys? Because NFA weapons registered to an individual always (very few exceptions) require that individual to be present when in use. NFA weapons belonging to a trust or Corp can be used by anyone listed as a responsible person.

Well it's the newbie thread so we can more than likely assume title 1.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Don't all 50 states assume that a legally married couple are a single entity for legal purposes, unless/until that marriage is dissolved? If one partner in the marriage is a Prohibited Possessor, obviously neither can have firearms in the house, but otherwise don't they automatically have Power Of Attorney for each other?

I admit I have no honest idea about any adversarial aspect of it on account of being Actually Happily Marriedô.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Don't all 50 states assume that a legally married couple are a single entity for legal purposes, unless/until that marriage is dissolved? If one partner in the marriage is a Prohibited Possessor, obviously neither can have firearms in the house, but otherwise don't they automatically have Power Of Attorney for each other?

I admit I have no honest idea about any adversarial aspect of it on account of being Actually Happily Married™.

Not sure how the above works here, but Hawaii specifically forbids loaning handguns unless the registered owner is physically present. The only around this is joint registration which requires both spouses to be physically present during the process. Longguns currently have no such restriction.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Proper Kerni ng posted:

If one partner in the marriage is a Prohibited Possessor, obviously neither can have firearms in the house
Are you sure about this? I could see it being a condition of probation that a felon not reside in the same house where a legally held firearm is kept, but I don't see how it would be legal otherwise.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Craptacular posted:

Are you sure about this? I could see it being a condition of probation that a felon not reside in the same house where a legally held firearm is kept, but I don't see how it would be legal otherwise.
I've always based that belief entirely on a friend of the family ages ago getting rounded up by sheriff's deputies for "felon in possession of a firearm" because he moved back in with his wife after he got out on felony drug charges, and they found out she kept a .38 and a shotgun at home; the text of Chapter 46 of the Texas Penal Code doesn't make any kind of statement about spouses, but apparently the local constabulary creatively interpreted the fact that Texas is a community property state to mean that anything his wife owned, he must have owned as well. It was decades ago, I don't remember if they'd owned the firearms before he went away or if she bought them while he was inside, but they did stay married during his incarceration.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Craptacular posted:

If the felon knows the firearm is in the house and has the means to access to it, doesn't that constitute constructive possession? I Am Not A Lawyer but that's what I'd be afraid of.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I think it is a good 'Ask a Lawyer's question.

The anecdotal thing I've heard is that you should keep your NFA firearms in a safe that the spouse doesn't have access to because they aren't included on the stamp (unless it's a trust and they're included).

Obviously no one's ever heard of that being relevant.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

I think it is a good 'Ask a Lawyer's question.

The anecdotal thing I've heard is that you should keep your NFA firearms in a safe that the spouse doesn't have access to because they aren't included on the stamp (unless it's a trust and they're included).

Obviously no one's ever heard of that being relevant.

This is what I heard (on NFA items), from the lawyer in my CCW permit class as well. From the Q&A this stuff can get tricky. Like if you keep a pistol in you car, under the passenger seat. If you are the driver, and you have a passenger, who's in possession? Does it matter if the passenger is aware or not?

The basics I got from all that was - good luck in court if they decide to prosecute. If you are barred from possessing a gun, and you live in a place where you actively know where and can access a gun, you likely could get hosed in court. There was an example of being in someone's living room and a gun being on the coffee table vs stashed under the couch cushion. On the table it was clear anyone in the room is in 'possession'. In the couch, it's obviously still available, but came down to knowledge of it being there. It was pretty drilled in that all of these types of things are grey areas and if you get in a situation with police over it, they will likely arrest first and let the jury decide if they were right or wrong. The advice at that point was to hire an expert witness in addition to your lawyer.

So yeah, ask a lawyer that specializes in things like gun trusts and has experience with gun law and cases.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

It really does make a big difference where someone is asking the question from; even if you're chased 20+ miles at high speed by armed and drugged-up members of a violent biker gang, malicious prosecution can still cost you your job and all your money no matter how clearly justified a defensive shooting might be.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Iím thinking, if I can shoot my wifeís pistol, it would make sense for a noob like me to take the money I would spend on my own pistol, and spend it on ammo and a defensive pistol training course with her g19. After that I could worry about what gat I would want with a smidge of taught experience.

How do you go about finding a holster with zero experience Are there a few g19 holsters that are goon approved and not budget breaking? Iím thinking outside the pants on the hip.

Iím far from getting a ccw or anything, but I would want to get comfortable wearing the pistol in my house before going to an appropriate training course.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

rump buttman posted:

Iím thinking, if I can shoot my wifeís pistol, it would make sense for a noob like me to take the money I would spend on my own pistol, and spend it on ammo and a defensive pistol training course with her g19. After that I could worry about what gat I would want with a smidge of taught experience.

That's a pretty good idea.

quote:

How do you go about finding a holster with zero experience Are there a few g19 holsters that are goon approved and not budget breaking? Iím thinking outside the pants on the hip.

Depends on whether you want an OWB carry holster, an open carry holster w/ active retention (don't open carry though), or a range/competition holster.

Safariland OWB holsters are reliably pretty good, and many of them are pretty good values. The Safariland 5198 is roughly $30 and it's a good range/competition holster. The Safariland 7377 is a good retention holster but it's a little bulky to conceal; they seem to run about $40.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Holsters are a lot like guns in that a little bit extra money goes a long way.

Some general concepts to consider:
  • The purpose of the holster is to secure the firearm and to protect the trigger. Rigid material such as kydex usually works better in this regard. Good leather is also acceptable but is usually more expensive. Hybrid (kydex and leather combo) holsters tend to be not great as the different materials wear down at differently speeds. Soft fabric holsters are straight up a bad idea do to the flexibility of the material and the risk of said material getting into the trigger guard.
  • A holster optimized for a single firearm will generally be better then a multipurpose holster.
  • Choose a level of retention that is suitable for your purpose. Retention is measured by how many different steps is needed to remove the pistol; An open topped holster that relies on friction is considered Level I passive retention. A duty level holster such as a Safariland with an ALS button, and SLS hood that must be disengaged before the draw is considered active Level III retention. A good way to test your retention methods is to put your unloaded gun into the holster, turn the holster upside down, shake it, and see if the gun falls out. If it stays put, you should be good. We want the gun to stay in the holster until WE decide otherwise. The more exposed the gun is to the general public the more retention you should seek. A CCW holster are typically Level 1 as their primary protection is concealment. Duty holsters have higher retentions as LEO/mil types are typically performing for physical tasks and stopping people from taking your gun is a real concern. If you open carry for whatever reason, STRONGLY consider some level of active retention (It's still stupid). A Level I holster is perfectly acceptable for most entry level defensive shooting classes or general range use.
  • The holster should be secure enough that you can draw and re-holster with only one hand. Requiring multiple hands increases the chance of flagging yourself during an already risky task and is usually caused by the holster not interfacing well with the belt. A sturdy belt is also a good idea as a belt that flexes on you during the draw can cause issues. A holster that does not have belt cuts or loops can have issues being yanked out of your pants still attached to the gun. If it takes effort to put the holster on or off, then it probably isn't going anywhere.

If you're looking for an intro holster, BladeTech is decent and you can always upgrade once you know what you're looking for

poopgiggle posted:

That's a pretty good idea.

Depends on whether you want an OWB carry holster, an open carry holster w/ active retention (don't open carry though), or a range/competition holster.

Safariland OWB holsters are reliably pretty good, and many of them are pretty good values. The Safariland 5198 is roughly $30 and it's a good range/competition holster. The Safariland 7377 is a good retention holster but it's a little bulky to conceal; they seem to run about $40.

Seconding Safariland as another good option.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Safariland's great, but the Raven Perun is a good choice for OWB too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XN9DSN

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Craptacular posted:

Safariland's great, but the Raven Perun is a good choice for OWB too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XN9DSN

I didn't mention any Kydex concealment OWB holsters due to lack of personal experience. This one looks like a winner though!

E: Looking at Raven's website, it strikes me as funny that the hucksters who ripped off Raven's old Kydex sandwich holsters from 2010 (*COUGH* BRAVO CONCEALMENT *COUGH*) are still making that style, but Raven themselves no longer are.

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 27, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The one holster that TFR (and most serious shooters) condemn is the Blackhawk! SERPA. Two major issues:
-The release button can allow dirt/debris to get inside, jamming the whole system up. That's not good if you're on the range doing competition; even worse if you're using your pistol to defend yourself.
-The placement of the release button is problematic. In a high-stress situation where you're pressing the release button while pulling the pistol out of the holster, it is possible for your finger to drift inside the trigger guard & depress the trigger, causing a negligent discharge.

If you're looking for a holster that provides retention beyond level 1, look for something that releases the pistol by using your thumb like Safariland or G-Code.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am thinking about putting together a backpacking/squirrel hunting rifle out of a Crickett and one of two aftermarket takedown stocks. Does anyone have any experience with either the Pack Rifle Kit (cheaper, lighter, looks less comfortable) or the Backcountry 22 Conversion Kit (more expensive, nicer looking, has a forend, looks more stable when taken down)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lumbermouth posted:

I am thinking about putting together a backpacking/squirrel hunting rifle out of a Crickett and one of two aftermarket takedown stocks. Does anyone have any experience with either the Pack Rifle Kit (cheaper, lighter, looks less comfortable) or the Backcountry 22 Conversion Kit (more expensive, nicer looking, has a forend, looks more stable when taken down)?

I have no useful info but am requesting photos and a trip report when you get it all together.