Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Not to talk you out of that conversion in any way, but there's also this path: https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product.php?id=181

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Hi, I live in Australia which has fairly strict requirements for gun ownership and I was wondering what a good single shot 22lr gallery gun would be on a budget

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Rifle? I don't have experience with them but maybe the Savage Rascal or a Keystone Crickett?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Define ďsingle shotĒ. Are you allowed bolt actions?

Because iirc you guys get the Tula TOZ rifles down there and theyíre great little target rifles for the price. Iíve got one of the few Iíve ever seen in the US and itís a joy.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Another stupid question. Are you suppose to shoot pistols with both eyes open? I was taught to keep both eyes open shooting shotguns and itís what Iíve been doing while dry firing. The Glock sights are hard for me to pick up when focusing down range (wall 20 feet away), so Iím not sure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Focus on the front sight. Your target will be slightly blurry but thatís fine.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

big dong wanter posted:

Hi, I live in Australia which has fairly strict requirements for gun ownership and I was wondering what a good single shot 22lr gallery gun would be on a budget

I'd look for something used. Are there any gun auction sites down under? I wonder how much a 70s or 80s vintage ss rifle like a Walther or Anschütz would cost, they go pretty cheap up here.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

rump buttman posted:

Another stupid question. Are you suppose to shoot pistols with both eyes open? I was taught to keep both eyes open shooting shotguns and it’s what I’ve been doing while dry firing. The Glock sights are hard for me to pick up when focusing down range (wall 20 feet away), so I’m not sure.

I would recommend keeping a hard front sight focus at this stage in your shooting path. The front sight should be crystal clear and the target slightly fuzzy. By doing so, you're paying attention to the most critical part of the sights allowing you to make unconscious micro corrections without thinking about it. The brain is pretty good at lining up blocky things without direct input. Your primary goal should be making sure that the sights are not moving during the trigger press. You'll have a bit of a wobble zone and that's normal but a bunch of movement at the end of the trigger press can be an sign of misapplied fundamentals.

Check your PMs.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

So, like many Americans, the current situation has me taking a much closer look at personal security and I'm looking into a gun for personal defense. In the medium term I think I want an AR platform and a pistol, but I think I want to start with the pistol. I want the option to concealed carry but don't intend on applying for it immediately or on making a habit of it, and I have small Asian hands, so it seems the lead options are a G43/P320 compact/similar models thereof, within a $400-$500 price range. Does that sound about right?

Additionally, is there a safe storage thread? In an apartment where I don't think I can drill anything.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Flappy Bert posted:

Additionally, is there a safe storage thread? In an apartment where I don't think I can drill anything.

Yeah. It's on page 5, don't worry about necro-ing, it is an important subject.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Flappy Bert posted:

So, like many Americans, the current situation has me taking a much closer look at personal security and I'm looking into a gun for personal defense. In the medium term I think I want an AR platform and a pistol, but I think I want to start with the pistol. I want the option to concealed carry but don't intend on applying for it immediately or on making a habit of it, and I have small Asian hands, so it seems the lead options are a G43/P320 compact/similar models thereof, within a $400-$500 price range. Does that sound about right?

G43 is nice but you may want a compact and not a pocket-sized gun for your first gun, it'll be easier to learn on. Like a G19. The 320c is a comparable size. Buy used and you can swing a better deal.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Also the Sig P365 (G43 sized) and P365 XL (little smaller than a G19 and a lot thinner) that you could look at. I just bought a new P365 today (picking it up tomorrow after the background check finishes). Normally we recommend a more medium sized pistol (small pistols can be snappier) but if you're buying specifically to CCW and plan on an AR later, nothing wrong with that. Here's a pic of my the G43 and P365 from a while back.

Pic for scale:

G43 with 7 round mag, P365 with 12rd mag.

Also ask your apartment complex if you're allowed to mount a small safe for valuables - a lot of times they won't mind if the hole(s) is smaller than a quarter for wall mount stuff, easy to patch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Tiny pocket guns can be difficult to shoot. Having shot small guns for a long while now, I'd not rank the G43 as having pocket gun shooting difficulty. But comparing it to a G19, it's a lot less forgiving.

If this is a first gun or a beginner's gun, think about going with a more full sized pistol to learn the fundamentals. Don't worry about having a "one gun fits all" sized solution if it's one of your first.

But a G19 can absolutely be carried, as mine can attest.

Glock Model Reference for 9mm

G17 - Full sized
G19 - Compact, holds two less rounds. Not much smaller than the G17
G26 - Sub Compact. Used to be the smallest 9mm Glock but still has a double stack magazine
G43 - The real sub compact 9mm Glock. Has a single stack magazine that holds less than ten rounds even with most magazine extensions. Technically can be pocket carried, but most people keep it on their belt.

There are a lot more models, but that gives you the basic view of their 9mm offering. For a lot of years the choices were only the first three.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

What are the go to G19 sight upgrades (irons)? Can I do it myself if I'm "fumble through brake pad changing" mechanically inclined?

Edit: I was re-reading this article and he's fond of those ameriglo pro i dot sights:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/no-three-dot-pistol-sights/

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 30, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the go to G19 sight upgrades (irons)? Can I do it myself if I'm "fumble through brake pad changing" mechanically inclined?

Edit: I was re-reading this article and he's fond of those ameriglo pro i dot sights:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/no-three-dot-pistol-sights/

Most modern gun modifications are about that difficulty or easier yeah. You might need a special sight pusher tool and/or some punches.

I recommend a set of punches and a gunsmithing hammer for anyone getting into firearms as a hobby. I waited way too long to pick those up and they're invaluable.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thanks, I see now the glock thread OP details the two tools needed. Together they cost as much as my sights so of course I'll buy them for the one Glock I own.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Flappy Bert posted:

I'll piggy back off the other people that said to take a look at the Glock 19. By all accounts I've seen the p320 is also a great firearm but my experience with them is limited so I'll pitch for Glock.

Take a look at the Gen 5 19 with Ameriglo agent sights. If you feel your hand size is truly an issue, I think thy gen 5 is going to be the best fit for you. This eliminates the finger grooves of the earlier generations but still gives you the different back straps to play with. Additionally, the gen 5 has the option to come right out of the box with the ameriglo sights. These are high contrast night sights. The front sight is going to be a lot easier for you to pick up and focus on. If you decide to take your shooting further you'll end up appreciating what a difference they make. I also happen to like the trigger more on the gen 5 but that is a personal preference.

The 19 is a very good balance of concealable and shootable. A p320 compact is going to be about the same size but I don't believe they offer a sight option similar to the agent sights unless you go aftermarket, which is a totally viable option. You're just going to pay a little more to get the sights since they aren't part of the package.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks, I see now the glock thread OP details the two tools needed. Together they cost as much as my sights so of course I'll buy them for the one Glock I own.

Also look into Dawson precision. I ran them on my G34 before I put a RDS on it and much prefer them to the amerigo hi vis unless you REALLY want tritium. They also come with sight tools. Not amazing ones but they work. Remember that blue loctite is your friend for the front sight.

If you're running an older gen glock that's not listed on their website, you can shoot them an email and they're pretty quick at responding.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thanks for the recommendation. I notice that the Dawson Precision sights are three dot but with high contrast on the front sight whereas the Ameriglo idots are "two dot" style. So, you feel the contrast is more important than abandoning three dots altogether?

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

I prefer a red fiber optic front with black rears so you have something visually interesting to draw your attention up front and nothing to distract you in the back. I find that setup naturally aids finding the front sight and letting the brain automatically process alignment with the rear sight. Note that this is for primarily for running the gun at speed but I've had good success then shooting at 25 yds mainly due to the width of the front sight.

So I guess single dot?

You see something similar with the Frank Proctor Y sights

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

The Ameriglo Hackathorn sights are another option I would throw out there for high contrast front/black rear with the front also having a tritium lamp.

If you want high contrast night sights, I will always recommend the Trijicon HD over the Ameriglo for the reason that the HD has a slightly bigger contrast area. I've found it's easier to pick up under stress or on the clock than the Ameriglo agents. This also comes from a place of thinking of it as a duty gun though. If this is for range/competition use then a fiber front is probably going to serve you better. The HD XR sights have a slightly thinner front if you're looking to extend your range a little bit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I did it with a $25 sight pusher. You can sure as hell do it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MantisClaw posted:

I prefer a red fiber optic front with black rears so you have something visually interesting to draw your attention up front and nothing to distract you in the back. I find that setup naturally aids finding the front sight and letting the brain automatically process alignment with the rear sight. Note that this is for primarily for running the gun at speed but I've had good success then shooting at 25 yds mainly due to the width of the front sight.

So I guess single dot?

You see something similar with the Frank Proctor Y sights

Itís not fiber-optic, but my VP9 came stock with a similar arrangement with a blacked out rear sight and a hi-viz dot for the front.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Is it common to have to shim a picatinny attachment to prevent back-and-forth wobble?

I got my AR Upper today from DSArms. When I tried to mount my Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger I found it had some back-and-forth wobble. I was able to shim it with a piece of metal and it's good and steady now, but is this something that happens often? Ever?

I doubt it. Someone must be out of spec here. I'll get my rear sight this weekend so it'll be interesting to see if it's in spec or not.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's difficult to articulate just how insanely awful that product name is

Also no the whole point of the standard is to provide a repeatable solid mount, shims shouldn't be needed

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Just what I thought. I'm going to go stew in some frustration.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Shouldn't be, but unfortunately not every rail is created equal.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

If you have another rail accessory try mounting it on the same place and see if it has the same problem. If not it's probably your accessory. Or mount the accessory to a different rail and see if it's fine on there.

I'd guess it's probably the accessory but the rail might be out of spec instead, anything is possible!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In either case the manuf should give you another or get shamed for their crappyness

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Yeah, could be your accessory or the rail.

Time to break out the calipers!

Edit:. Also you did put the cross bolt through the picatinny rail and tighten it down etc? Is the movement side to side or butt to muzzle in the rail when looking down the sights.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 30, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

When I get cheap Airsoft stuff it's not uncommon for the rails & mounts to be out of spec, but if it's loose a little electrical tape shim does the trick.

If your Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger is bothering you enough you should definitely request a replacement.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

you can't charge hard with a weak devil dog

e: oops newbie thread, apologies

taqueso fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 1, 2020

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I've got a fixed rear sight coming in this weekend, I'll let you know what I learn.

I still don't have a bcg so I can't test the charging handle proper. However it's snug for now with a makeshift shim in place. It was sliding back and forth, no side-to-side movement.

I don't want to start bad-mouthing either of the manufacturers yet, so keep that shaming in check.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That name absolutely deserves all of the shame we can give it

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

JukeboxHerostratus posted:

I've got a fixed rear sight coming in this weekend, I'll let you know what I learn.

I still don't have a bcg so I can't test the charging handle proper. However it's snug for now with a makeshift shim in place. It was sliding back and forth, no side-to-side movement.

I don't want to start bad-mouthing either of the manufacturers yet, so keep that shaming in check.

A bit of play forward and backward is pretty normal in my experience. Not a lot but there's a reason you're supposed to press optics forward on the rail when you tighten them down. You should be able to tighten it down enough that it won't move though and if your rail and accessory are in spec and tight then there should be no yaw or left-right play.

edit: \/\/\/ what he said!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 1, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Push it all the way forward, since that's where the recoil will push it anyway. If it won't secure side to side, or stay securely forward, something is wrong.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

If you email customer service about it, be sure to refer to it as the Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger at every opportunity.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Update: I'm a doofus

I didn't tighten the attachment tight enough. I was afraid to go full gorilla on it because I've stripped out hex heads before, but decided to give it a shot. I went back and tightened the poo poo out of it, and it is now firmly in place. It was within spec the whole time.

Diagnosis: operator error

Unfortunately UPS dropped the ball today. I am still without a rear sight. drat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So what's the go-to site for ordering stuff online? Pretty much all of my local gun stores are on lockdown and the ones that do have online ordering and curbside pickup don't have a great selection in their own online selection.

In my state any gun would have to still have me pick them up and do the background check through my local store, but presumably any online store can ship it to them to handle the last steps right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It depends on your state, and it depends on the online merchant. It also depends on the store. I think my experience is pretty standard, though. Illinois has some medium-high restrictions. The website almost always has a page dedicated to walking you through the process of ordering a gun online. Here's what it generally entails.

Basically, I go to the website. Personally, I've had excellent luck with GrabAGun, but Bud's Gun Shop is also good (loads of people swear by them), and I've also ordered from AIM surplus. Anyway, I pick my gun--usually a revolver because those are the best--and I do the standard stuff: add it to the cart, go to checkout, create an account (I would not skip this step), pay, and get the confirmation email.

Now, in Illinois, there is a 72 hour waiting period. The clock starts when you fill out paperwork. If you buy from the FFL directly, then you fill the paperwork out right then. Otherwise, you can fill it out whenever, but that clock starts when you hand in the paperwork. So, I'll usually go directly to the store and fill out the paperwork as soon as the payment is accepted. That's when the clock starts, and that's cool, because best case scenario, it's going to take at least 3 or 4 days for the gun to arrive anyway. I'm not losing any time.

When the gun arrives at the FFL, they call me, and I head down to take possession. At this point, I pay the $20 FFL fee, and I walk out with my latest, greatest chunk of freedom.

Some of those steps will be different for you. Some places will make you pay the transfer fee up-front, for example. And I think my place has one hell of a great price for the transfer. But that's generally how it works. But, as with all things, Your State May Vary.