Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That Faux-ty-Five Colt actually looks pretty cool.

I was looking at the Henry rifles, but Rossi's also jumped out at me, mainly because of price. Anyone have experience with them? I don't mind less expensive guns, as long as they run.

All the cool cats with the pumped-up gats are gonna run, gonna run, from my lever-gun.... or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

If you want a fun .22, you could look around and see if you can't find a Marlin 39A for a good deal

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863907539

^^^
Got mine for something like $200 at a pawn shop because it had been treated like poo poo. Replaced the stock, a few screws, and one or two little parts and it was ready to go.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

... and the wife just told me she was thinking about an AR platform rifle. Nothing fancy, but she's been thinking about it.

(sigh)

I get a revolver, she wants a semiautomatic in 9 mm. I talk about getting a lever-action rifle, she wants an AR. What am I going to do with this woman? I mean, can't we agree to meet in the middle, and just travel back in time 150 years or so, so that my choices in firearms are modern enough for her?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

tarlibone posted:

... and the wife just told me she was thinking about an AR platform rifle. Nothing fancy, but she's been thinking about it.

(sigh)

I get a revolver, she wants a semiautomatic in 9 mm. I talk about getting a lever-action rifle, she wants an AR. What am I going to do with this woman? I mean, can't we agree to meet in the middle, and just travel back in time 150 years or so, so that my choices in firearms are modern enough for her?

I just picked up a G20 gen 4, but it was mostly funded by trading in my TC Encore 308 pistol.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

OH... if I had a lead on a 1994 100th anniversary Winchester 30-30 rifle (lever action), is that a good deal at $700? The shop's ad (it's local to me) said that it's new-in-box, basically new old stock. I'm thinking someone bought it and saved it, assuming it'd be worth a billion dollars. Says it's never been shot, which is fascinating to me, but a 25-year-old, quasi-collector's gun?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

tarlibone posted:

OH... if I had a lead on a 1994 100th anniversary Winchester 30-30 rifle (lever action), is that a good deal at $700? The shop's ad (it's local to me) said that it's new-in-box, basically new old stock. I'm thinking someone bought it and saved it, assuming it'd be worth a billion dollars. Says it's never been shot, which is fascinating to me, but a 25-year-old, quasi-collector's gun?

Yeah new Winchesters appear to start at $1k from a quick Google search.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Captain Log posted:

Iím getting myself a Turnbull finished Ruger before long.

Iím trying to decide if I want to add a gaudy Chiappa Rhino to the purchase.

Gold or rainbow?

My Turnbull MarkIV is halfway through the 8 week build time but I'll take pictures of it as soon as I get it. I'm really excited (Target model with the 6" threaded barrel, wood grips). I already have a Form1 silencer ready for it.

Get the Rainbow Rhino too. That would be a head-turner at the range.

I feel like Trump bux should be spent on something gaudy and outrageous. I have half a mind to put it towards a Color Case Hardened Desert Eagle to match the MarkIV.

I dunno, I need to cool off on gun purchases for a little bit after ordering the Ruger and getting a Manuhrin MR73 a couple weeks ago. If they announced those A3 Stribogs though...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Split between a 357 lever gun (maybe the Henry Big Boy) or the 629 I was saving up for back when gigs were a thing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

My Turnbull MarkIV is halfway through the 8 week build time but I'll take pictures of it as soon as I get it. I'm really excited (Target model with the 6" threaded barrel, wood grips). I already have a Form1 silencer ready for it.

Get the Rainbow Rhino too. That would be a head-turner at the range.

I feel like Trump bux should be spent on something gaudy and outrageous. I have half a mind to put it towards a Color Case Hardened Desert Eagle to match the MarkIV.

I dunno, I need to cool off on gun purchases for a little bit after ordering the Ruger and getting a Manuhrin MR73 a couple weeks ago. If they announced those A3 Stribogs though...

My new gun purchasing had been on hold for the last few years. Now I'm going to have a little more capital to put towards new guns, but I need to get back to monthly range trips. I'm loving rusty.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Getting the CETME-L tomorrow!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Getting the CETME-L tomorrow!

It better be silver.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Log posted:

It better be silver.
Doesn't come in that finish unfortunately. I got the original green color.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Better be pics. As someone who wants a CETME, FAL, G3 ( or all of the above ) I will live through your spending.

If I ever get a G3 I'd probably spend a non-zero amount of time trying to hit things with the brass as I shot at targets.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Could always buy an M1 Garand and spend the other 500 on ammo for it. Or an M1 Carbine (if you can find one). Or an FN49 (probably in 8mm).

I think I have an old gun addiction

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Captain Log posted:

My new gun purchasing had been on hold for the last few years. Now I'm going to have a little more capital to put towards new guns, but I need to get back to monthly range trips. I'm loving rusty.

I went to the range last weekend for the first time since before quarantine and man my shooting skills deteriorate fast. Humbling to have to go back to fundamentals. It's changed the way I approach dry fire, I'm a lot more concerned deliberate and focused on trigger pull.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Garand is the correct choice. I'm spending $150 on a replacement muffler install and putting the rest aside into savings.

Unless I get real drunk this week then its WINCH TIME

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Now that I've got my funbux I can't find a Rimfire LRT in stock anywhere.

Do local gun shops typically do internet special orders? I've never bought a gun that wasn't either on the rack in the shop or a transfer from the internet.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Went surfing some sites to see if anything interesting was cheap and out, saw a polish military trainer in .22 and the only reason I didn't order it is because they didn't have anymore.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Fifty Three posted:

Now that I've got my funbux I can't find a Rimfire LRT in stock anywhere.

Do local gun shops typically do internet special orders? I've never bought a gun that wasn't either on the rack in the shop or a transfer from the internet.

I've checked pricing on special orders with local shops plenty of times. Usually it's been something in stock online though and I just straight up tell them that I'm looking at buying online for $x, and can they get close to that as I'd rather give them the business. They've usually been able to go right on their computer and check price and availability from their distributors they use.

Edit- also, take the part number of the gun you want and plug it into gun.deals search function if you haven't already tried that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Could always buy an M1 Garand and spend the other 500 on ammo for it. Or an M1 Carbine (if you can find one). Or an FN49 (probably in 8mm).

I think I have an old gun addiction

Nothing wrong with liking early autoloaders. And you can get FN49s in .30-06. My Luxembourg FN shoots great with the same M2 ball I feed my Garand.

I found out my fun bux hit the bank account today.

We're using it to rebuild our emergency fund

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Rebuilding funds... yeah, I hear that.

While it'd be neat to blow all that dough on a 44 magnum or a lever gun, honestly... I don't even have a place to shoot anything that's not an air rifle. Meanwhile, I do have a lack of exercise equipment, and with this looking like it's going to drag on for a while, I might want to prioritize dealing with that first. If I do actually get a gun, I'll fill an actual need I have, like a smaller carry pistol. Something I can pocket fairly easily.

Anyone have a suggestion on that front? I hear the Airweight 38's are pocketable, but it needn't be a wheelgun.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I have $2k coming back on my tax refund, plus the $1200 it looks like. Tempted to go buy an MP5 clone but I just ordered 1k rds of 7.62x39 and I'm leaning towards using the rest of that money to pay off my Tacoma.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

I went to the range last weekend for the first time since before quarantine and man my shooting skills deteriorate fast. Humbling to have to go back to fundamentals. It's changed the way I approach dry fire, I'm a lot more concerned deliberate and focused on trigger pull.

This is going to sound silly -

My British side of the family plays proper darts. Cricket, to be exact. When I was four, they set up a little dart board for me leaned back into a chair, so I could reach it. I'd throw real steel darts with my father and uncles before I was five years old. Never hurt myself and loving loved it.

Because of playing darts and shooting from a really young age (seven), I've always had good hand/eye coordination for hitting targets. When I took my father to the range for the first time a year ago, he was hitting bullseyes with the Wrangler. His explanation for doing well? "It was like throwing darts."

But the one thing that is hard to de-program is the little adrenaline burst you get from firing a gun. Especially in a loud as gently caress indoor range. I've also never taken a class outside of the basic CCW needed for a permit.

Yeah, I've got some guns to buy. But I owe it to myself to take some classes and actually develop skills outside of hitting clay and paper.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Final Blog Entry posted:

Edit- also, take the part number of the gun you want and plug it into gun.deals search function if you haven't already tried that.
This is a good tip, thanks. Yielded more places it's out of stock, but it helps.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Mine hit today. I want to save it because I'm taking nothing for granted in the economic black hole the world is facing but I'm going to spend part of it to help the economy.

I'll probably get some reloading components and another drat chronograph.

My kid's credit will go into her 529.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Kinda liked the exhaust sound when the muffler was fucky, but the truck runs noticeably better now and I guess quiet is good for the neighbors. That's my helping the economy today.

E: also bought a daiwa minispin fishing rod and real. Denver's lakes in the highlands are pretty empty so gonna get my fish on, and fly fishing a lake is just sad

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 15, 2020

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah mine hit today the same time as my paycheck that had a little OT on it so

Bought some fancier than usual groceries via Amazon and may go find some new items for the kitchen but otherwise I'm keeping it in the bank. Since I'm being furloughed 15 days I need to make sure unemployment is gonna take care of me before I start spending all of it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah mine hit today the same time as my paycheck that had a little OT on it so

Bought some fancier than usual groceries via Amazon and may go find some new items for the kitchen but otherwise I'm keeping it in the bank. Since I'm being furloughed 15 days I need to make sure unemployment is gonna take care of me before I start spending all of it.

Amazon is STILL not doing their FRESH delivery service in my area. Except they are listing it as, "Windows are being released as they come available." I've checked every day for over a month and not seen a single delivery window.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Amazon is STILL not doing their FRESH delivery service in my area. Except they are listing it as, "Windows are being released as they come available." I've checked every day for over a month and not seen a single delivery window.

Oh God yeah all the usual stuff I order from them is sold out or unavailable. Even vitamins/supplements.

Now I'm wondering if I should get one of those fancy rice cookers...

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nothing wrong with liking early autoloaders. And you can get FN49s in .30-06. My Luxembourg FN shoots great with the same M2 ball I feed my Garand.

I found out my fun bux hit the bank account today.

We're using it to rebuild our emergency fund

I had no idea you had a Luxembourg, that's awesome. I've considered investing more as well, since I've already hit 3 guns so far this year counting the boxes of parts I'm buying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

Oh God yeah all the usual stuff I order from them is sold out or unavailable. Even vitamins/supplements.

Now I'm wondering if I should get one of those fancy rice cookers...

You have a pot, right?

You just need a pot.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

You have a pot, right?

You just need a pot.

This is a post I would have made before I had a rice cooker. My ex was a first generation American and had had rice with pretty much every meal growing up. I did the cooking when we lived together, and as such had to start making a lot more rice than I normally did. Even the cheap $13 rice cooker I have is so much easier and more pleasant than making rice without one. No brainer if you're making rice often.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

This is a post I would have made before I had a rice cooker. My ex was a first generation American and had had rice with pretty much every meal growing up. I did the cooking when we lived together, and as such had to start making a lot more rice than I normally did. Even the cheap $13 rice cooker I have is so much easier and more pleasant than making rice without one. No brainer if you're making rice often.

If I had a big family...maybe.

But when I'm cooking one cup at a time and prefer it done precisely how I like it, my pot works just fine.

I'm cranky about food gadgets.

My Log Approved Rice Method -

Get a pot. Get a lid. A plate works too.

Two cups chicken stock, boil that poo poo till it's nice and hot.
One cup rice
Curry powder, turmeric powder, cracked black pepper, salt, and one bay leaf

Make that poo poo till it's delicious and finish with butter if eating it alone.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Help me out here, I'm a dumb idiot gun owner newbie who wants a decent rifle with some pew-pew that isn't point-and-click.

I've used guns as a kid but I have never had to care for my own gun.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Smegma Princess X posted:

Help me out here, I'm a dumb idiot gun owner newbie who wants a decent rifle with some pew-pew that isn't point-and-click.

Any preferences on caliber, type, age, etc will give people a better idea of what to suggest.

Also buy a Garand once the CMP reopens.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

What will the firearm be used for?

Target practice? Home Defense? Hunting? Dressing up like a Barbie?

Also, where are you located? Local laws can have a big impact on what you can and cannot buy.

(If you'd like to check it out, we have a stacked newbie thread at the top of the forum loaded with information.)

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

DeesGrandpa posted:

Any preferences on caliber, type, age, etc will give people a better idea of what to suggest.

Also buy a Garand once the CMP reopens.

Buy a Garand, got it.

That aside, the best shooting experience I ever had was with my Dad's M1 Carbine. It was a lot of fun to shoot, but these seem a little on the pricey side these days. Not unaffordable, just, I'd have to be careful with my purchases afterwards.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Be less vague.

Someone will inevitably say SKS; as someone who owns an SKS, I'll say buy something less annoying. Not a bad gun but the default trigger on a Yugo is mushy and each trigger pull is a journey. Also getting the bolt carrier apart is an absolute pain in the loving. rear end. And if the gas system is wonky, you'll have to buy a valve to replace the one on your gun ( which is easy but yet another annoying thing ).

On the other hand, the prices of SKSs only continue to go up? I bought mine for less than 200 dollars and now they're pushing 400 a few years later.

Considering how a lot of ammo has dried up atm, I'd probably fish around for a 9mm carbine or a lever action in .44 or .357. Plenty of options at 500 and below.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Buy a Garand, got it.

That aside, the best shooting experience I ever had was with my Dad's M1 Carbine. It was a lot of fun to shoot, but these seem a little on the pricey side these days. Not unaffordable, just, I'd have to be careful with my purchases afterwards.

M1 carbines are rad too. Mine's so fun it's what I based my pelican case around (foam was already pre-cut so had to make some cuts based on that). Only issue is the CMP still provides a cheap reliable source for good condition, shootable Garands, while on a carbine you'll be gambling a bit as a newbie until you really know what to look for. That said, you can still find some carbine deals on GB so if that's what your heart desires don't let anybody talk you out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Did my part by buying some plated 32 bullets for loading 32acp, some .311 rifle bullets for 7.62x54r and a chronograph which will be the 3rd brand I've tried from Midway as they had some good prices on everything I wanted

«8 »