Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I honestly want to get into buying more milsurp semi-autos but also sweat blowing them up with the wrong ammo or losing a part under a couch / heating vent / having it eaten by the dog and lamenting the loss of some bespoke German spring engineered a thousand years ago by Krupp-elves or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo, i wonder if sra counts as a club for cmp purchases. i *need* a garand

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I sincerely doubt it. Just join the Garand Collector's Association its cheap and you get a neat magazine out of it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Better be pics. As someone who wants a CETME, FAL, G3 ( or all of the above ) I will live through your spending.

If I ever get a G3 I'd probably spend a non-zero amount of time trying to hit things with the brass as I shot at targets.
Pics will come this weekend!

(it's in and I'm loving around with it now)

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Action-Bastard posted:

I sincerely doubt it. Just join the Garand Collector's Association its cheap and you get a neat magazine out of it.

Absolutely do this because those magazines have some cool info and a classifieds section. I renewed my membership because I think it's a cool org.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Eat This Glob posted:

Political action organizations don't count, needs to be a marksmanship specific organization.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Looks like some retailers are raising their prices on luxury items and electronics since the stimulus checks hit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

Looks like some retailers are raising their prices on luxury items and electronics since the stimulus checks hit.

Mmhm. If you check Lenovo or Dell outlet, you can usually find a Win 10 PC for sub 200 bucks. Now they're all over 300. Gonna sleep on that. Looks like hard drives are still average on Amazon tho, might pick up a small Samsung Evo SSD for cheap.

I have no idea where all my hard drive space went.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Now that the Trumpbux are there, they're tempting me. Lighting matches and putting them in my pocket. Mocking me for not having a 44. Telling me I need a 357 lever gun. My wife says, "I've been thinking about an AR-15." I look at her, considering it. A little.

All day long with this stuff. I'm at "it'd be neat to have those things," but pretty far from "I have to get one of those things." Then I realized that the Golden Boy, the one my cousin suggested, would let me load 21 of those cute little 22 shorts. It's a neat 22 rifle. Affordable. Old-school. And shooting targets with 22s is fine with me.

So now I just need to not buy a gun for the next few days.

I am going to get some reloading stuff.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Action-Bastard posted:

Parts Kit posted:

Political action organizations don't count, needs to be a marksmanship specific organization.

Thank you both! I'll look into the garand collector's association. I'm also saving a buttload of money not commuting, so I can even afford to feed the thing!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Eat This Glob posted:

Thank you both! I'll look into the garand collector's association. I'm also saving a buttload of money not commuting, so I can even afford to feed the thing!

S&B makes an M1 Garand food for ~.75/round. It might be more right now though.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Got some stimulus money!

Got a nice tax return!

Now getting estimates for a new roof.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Final Blog Entry posted:

Got some stimulus money!

Got a nice tax return!

Now getting estimates for a new roof.

To be fair a new roof is probably the most responsible way to spend that money outside of whatever I buy with mine, of course.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

True that. That's what I got last summer. It's one of those things that you spend a lot of money on, get no particular enjoyment out of, but still really needed to buy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

So this morning, my wife texts me. "MAKE SURE THE AMOUNT IS RIGHT IN OUR ACCOUNT! IS THE BANK MAKING A MISTAKE???"

So I look... and that's a happy number! MUCH happier than I thought it'd be. Our paychecks hit, our Trumpbux are in there too, and even more showed up! And...

... it's about $1000, reimbursement from the airfare for the trip to Florida that was cancelled. My MAJOR AWARD trip, people. The one that some of us thought was silly overreaction. Remember overreactions? Man, those were the days....

So, the extra grand had a place to go, and tempting as it was to just keep it and pay off the credit card like we have been doing, I just paid it all off. This feels like a final nail in the coffin of my award trip. I guess all I got out of it was something for my work email signature, and a Model 63 that I'd love to go and shoot right now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

I bought an SKS with not-government money, I used my government money on new computer bits like a complete nerd. Which is probably a good thing because I had the vague notion to buy the cheapest shittiest Desert Eagle I could find and then mutilating it in an attempt to frankensteinfully figure out and fix the issues caused by it being a garbage tier gun for no other reason than I like feeling like a gunsmith.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

My father just got a bigger return/stimulus than he was expecting. It was almost triple what he was expecting. If his claiming me as a dependent somehow got his return to be that nice, I don't think we will worry about fixing it. We just pool our money, so the net positive is the important part.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have now spent far more than my government funbux on a gun.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

$2k tax refund came today. No funbux and the IRS says they can't determine status so IDK man.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

As soon as the funbux rolled in I got a call from a local gunshop, asking if I was alright, how I was holding up under quarantine, etc. I had just finished a video conference with our area manager about how to delicately handle calling our customers to see if they could make their payments, and it was like the gunshop was reading it word from word. I asked them if they were trying to sell me something, and without missing a beat. "Someone just put their desert eagle on consignment for $1200."

I hate that they know me so well.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Soupisgood posted:

As soon as the funbux rolled in I got a call from a local gunshop, asking if I was alright, how I was holding up under quarantine, etc. I had just finished a video conference with our area manager about how to delicately handle calling our customers to see if they could make their payments, and it was like the gunshop was reading it word from word. I asked them if they were trying to sell me something, and without missing a beat. "Someone just put their desert eagle on consignment for $1200."

I hate that they know me so well.

lol, dooo it

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

lol, dooo it

If it was a chrome and .44 would have done it so fast and hard, but it was gold and in .50 AE. I have a big stupid .454 revolver so I don't need another $2 a round handgun for now.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Soupisgood posted:

If it was a chrome and .44 would have done it so fast and hard, but it was gold and in .50 AE. I have a big stupid .454 revolver so I don't need another $2 a round handgun for now.

There is no world in which .50AE and gold is the wrong DE choice, unless gold tiger striping is available.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

On my Gun buying list, a semi 22 is next. Iím going to order a Turnbull finished Ruger, probably a Mk IV because it has that Luger aesthetic.

Iím just trying to weigh if I want a PC Carbine (my range is pistol caliber only) or a Chiappa Rhino.

Decisions are hard.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

On my Gun buying list, a semi 22 is next. I’m going to order a Turnbull finished Ruger, probably a Mk IV because it has that Luger aesthetic.

I’m just trying to weigh if I want a PC Carbine (my range is pistol caliber only) or a Chiappa Rhino.

Decisions are hard.

What caliber would that Rhino be in? Just asking because if you do get it I know I'm getting a turn with it eventually

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Log posted:

On my Gun buying list, a semi 22 is next. Iím going to order a Turnbull finished Ruger, probably a Mk IV because it has that Luger aesthetic.

Iím just trying to weigh if I want a PC Carbine (my range is pistol caliber only) or a Chiappa Rhino.

Decisions are hard.

You want a PC Carbine, they're wicked fun.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Decisions are hard.

I had a Chiappa Rhino, wasn't wild about the trigger. I could have gotten a lemon, but it was just awkward and sliding back the hammer felt super stiff.

They do have a rainbow nitride option though, so if you want something to compliment your Turnbull Ruger that's definitely a good option.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

What caliber would that Rhino be in? Just asking because if you do get it I know I'm getting a turn with it eventually

.357 so I could shoot .38 for less newbie (my Dad) scaring recoil.

Beardless posted:

You want a PC Carbine, they're wicked fun.

I must get a way to practice rifle platform shooting. Itís a woefully underdeveloped skill for me - a guy with three ARs.

Soupisgood posted:

I had a Chiappa Rhino, wasn't wild about the trigger. I could have gotten a lemon, but it was just awkward and sliding back the hammer felt super stiff.

They do have a rainbow nitride option though, so if you want something to compliment your Turnbull Ruger that's definitely a good option.

Which model? They have some different set ups.

Also, Gold or Rainbow? Thatís difficult.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Rossi 357 carbine has a loading gate, but I hear you have to work on them to get them running reliably. The Henry has no loading gate, but ejects out the side, and is better out of the box.

Decisions are hard. I could also just go crazy with my 10/22, or get a 22 lever gun, or a bolt-action rifle in a proper rifle caliber (whatever that means), or that 45 LC/ACP SA Ruger......

Rationale
May 17, 2005
I am absolutely worthless

I think Iíll get a cva hunter in 45-70 with some kind of fancy optic and all the doodads to reload with.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

tarlibone posted:

The Rossi 357 carbine has a loading gate, but I hear you have to work on them to get them running reliably. The Henry has no loading gate, but ejects out the side, and is better out of the box.

Decisions are hard. I could also just go crazy with my 10/22, or get a 22 lever gun, or a bolt-action rifle in a proper rifle caliber (whatever that means), or that 45 LC/ACP SA Ruger......

The biggest problems with Rossis is sometimes they get feeding issues, as the magazine follower is made out of nylon. Swap it with an aluminum one, big improvements ahead

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Captain Log posted:

.357 so I could shoot .38 for less newbie (my Dad) scaring recoil.

I must get a way to practice rifle platform shooting. Itís a woefully underdeveloped skill for me - a guy with three ARs.

Which model? They have some different set ups.

Also, Gold or Rainbow? Thatís difficult.

I had a 50DS, I may be spoiled because the two revolvers I shoot most often have been slicked up, but the Rhino didn't shoot as well as either. It did look cool as hell and was very nice and light, but I found someone who wanted one and was willing to trade Norinco Type 84 mags for it, so I had to let it go.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Soupisgood posted:

As a friend I have to say this:

You sir, are an idiot.

DeesGrandpa posted:

There is no world in which .50AE and gold is the wrong DE choice, unless gold tiger striping is available.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Basically any DE purchase needs to match best with a track suit and Russian accent.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Looks like I'm stuck waiting for a paper check, because the IRS somehow doesn't understand that people that don't get refunds exist.

The form for entering direct deposit information requires you to enter the amount you owed or received as a refund on your last tax return. Neither apply to me. Entering "0" makes the site break. Awesome.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I think that tomorrow, I'm going to make a horrible decision that will make me happy and ashamed.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

Looks like I'm stuck waiting for a paper check, because the IRS somehow doesn't understand that people that don't get refunds exist.

The form for entering direct deposit information requires you to enter the amount you owed or received as a refund on your last tax return. Neither apply to me. Entering "0" makes the site break. Awesome.

At least you can get in to the site. It keeps telling me that my info doesn't match their records. And neither my address from my 2018 or 2019 filing are current now, so if they mail a paper check it's gonna be a clusterfuck tracking it down.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I regret not buying a 357 Ranch Hand to SBR when they were available and cheap.

tarlibone posted:

Also this guy named Steve has a website all about the Rossis and sells a DVD explaining how to do an action job as well as lots of spare parts and doodads if you go that route.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Basically any DE purchase needs to match best with a track suit and Russian accent.

Now I want a Deagle with an Adidas paint job. A Adideagle, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

CETME-L thread is up!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3920475

«8 »