Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I ordered in late December and haven't seen hide nor hair of them. I emailed them again to ask WTF, since my last reply was in March.

I'm planning to go back to SCA for C&T, my local HEMA group is cool but mostly seem interested in German longsword and I'm looking for broadsword and saber work.

I used to fight SCA heavy years ago, but I'm leery about going back to it given that I've had more than enough concussions in my life (and at least a couple from just that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Any of this sword stuff should be posted about, heavily. Preferably with video and pictures.

For reasons. "Me" reasons.

Edit : That linked website was selling a poncho/cloak that was also a grocery tote. I ain't even mad.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I ordered in late December and haven't seen hide nor hair of them. I emailed them again to ask WTF, since my last reply was in March.

I'm planning to go back to SCA for C&T, my local HEMA group is cool but mostly seem interested in German longsword and I'm looking for broadsword and saber work.

I used to fight SCA heavy years ago, but I'm leery about going back to it given that I've had more than enough concussions in my life (and at least a couple from just that).

I managed to get a response from them via facebook messenger, so you might try there. And yeah, my limited experience with HEMA left me with the impression that they're very longsword focused. I'm mostly interested in sword and buckler, I.33 stuff. And I started out fighting heavy before switching to rapier, but I want to get back into it once we can start having practices again. I found that the heavier the helmet is, the better for avoiding those kinds of issues. If you don't mind my asking, what kingdom are you in?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Log posted:

Any of this sword stuff should be posted about, heavily. Preferably with video and pictures.

For reasons. "Me" reasons.

Edit : That linked website was selling a poncho/cloak that was also a grocery tote. I ain't even mad.

I'll get some of my gear out and do an effort post about it later this week, maybe in the knife thread.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

I'll get some of my gear out and do an effort post about it later this week, maybe in the knife thread.

I'm gonna get hyped.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

I managed to get a response from them via facebook messenger, so you might try there. And yeah, my limited experience with HEMA left me with the impression that they're very longsword focused. I'm mostly interested in sword and buckler, I.33 stuff. And I started out fighting heavy before switching to rapier, but I want to get back into it once we can start having practices again. I found that the heavier the helmet is, the better for avoiding those kinds of issues. If you don't mind my asking, what kingdom are you in?

Calontir! I know how to drive a scutum. My worst concussion was in a heavy flat-topped greathelm, just happened to duck wrong in a line fight and took a polearm shaft straight to the top of my head. Woke up on the ground, and still have some hearing loss in one ear from it.

I've posted these elsewhere, but since Log's asking...

My C&T broadsword:

It's a Castille Armory economy, I'm going to replace the blade with a longer one before too long.

With the Rawlings basket hilt I train with:

Also, because it's TFR, a pair of nerf flintlocks I put together this winter.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 25, 2020

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Calontir! I know how to drive a scutum. My worst concussion was in a heavy flat-topped greathelm, just happened to duck wrong in a line fight and took a polearm shaft straight to the top of my head. Woke up on the ground, and still have some hearing loss in one ear from it.

I've posted these elsewhere, but since Log's asking...

My C&T broadsword:

It's a Castille Armory economy, I'm going to replace the blade with a longer one before too long.

With the Rawlings basket hilt I train with:

Also, because it's TFR, a pair of nerf flintlocks I put together this winter.

Stuff like that is part of reason why I don't care for flat top helms. Bascinets for life, glace that poo poo right off. I'm over in the Outlands myself.
That Castille looks nice, a bunch of my friends back in the East swear by their stuff, and I've been eyeing their economy saber.

And are those nerf gun kits from Ben Becker? I used to larp with him back in my larping days, he's a friend of my uncle's. Those pistols are wicked nice, as are the boffers he makes. I got to use a couple of nerf cannon that he made for a pirate-themed game, basically potato guns with a barrel shell of painted foam to look the part.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

I think so, they were kits through B3 Studios. I mostly use 'em to play with my friend's cat.

I'm looking at a burgonet through Tradewinds of the Levant for head protection since Calontir wants solid back of head and I don't like taking longswords to the dome in plastic. They do interchangable faceplates so if I want to go play heavy a little I can just swap the perf plate for a bargrill.

Something like this:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I think so, they were kits through B3 Studios. I mostly use 'em to play with my friend's cat.

I'm looking at a burgonet through Tradewinds of the Levant for head protection since Calontir wants solid back of head and I don't like taking longswords to the dome in plastic. They do interchangable faceplates so if I want to go play heavy a little I can just swap the perf plate for a bargrill.

Something like this:

Yup, that's him.
And that burgonet looks nice! What thickness are you going to go for? If it were me, and if it were primarily for heavy, I'd be tempted to go 12 or 14 gauge, at least for the top.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

They default to 14ga, but offer 12ga as well if wanted. I think with the ridge, 14ga would be plenty stiff since it's primarily for C&T.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Oooooh I wish I could get back into sword slinging. This stuff is absolutely awesome.

Is there any recent footage of the top folks competing? Or you folk? Back when I was fresher and had recently stopped fencing, I watched a lot of tape. But the bar to entry was too financially high at the time.

Those rapier looking swords are my jam. When I did medieval skirmishing, I always did sword and board.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

None of me, which is thankful as I'm terribly out of shape and having to learn real swordwork as opposed to old style SCA stick beatings.

Here's ~4 hours of footage from Swordfish last year that's high-level competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C-tIlAARNg

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

I’m thinking of selling a gun(s) to buy this...

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Do it, Tod Cutler makes good stuff.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Got my CETME-L out to the range yesterday and today. I had to make two trips to zero it because the windage was off and adjustment was very stiff so I had to adjust it at home. Unfortunately, at about 50 rounds the charging handle snapped off during firing which is odd because it is non-reciprocating and I would have expected it to go when charging. Perhaps it had already cracked and I didn't notice. I sent an email to Marcolmar to see if I can get a replacement.

Other than that issue, I had no malfs and I was able to get it zeroed. It has an odd recoil impulse, soft but very long. The trigger is pretty meh like most military guns and all of the controls seem just out of reach so you have to adjust your grip to reach them. Overall, a fun range gun but inferior to an AR in most ways.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

titties posted:

I should have been clearer, sorry. I was interested in a carbine or rifle, including pistol-caliber carbines.

Regardless, I decided to just save the money instead of spending it on a rifle I will never use for anything. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!
I used my bux on the CMMG AR45. The radial delayed blowback is nice as it doesn't require the 308 spring my blowback AR9 needs.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Instead of anything listed already, I ordered a cz-83 in .32

https://aimsurplus.com/czech-cz83-32-auto-pistol/

I've heard good things! Should be soft shooting, and holds 15 in the magazine. They discontinued (or stopped importing?) back in 2012, so they are rarer these days.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Oh gently caress my rear end I always wanted one of those, the 32 versions are so rad.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

As promised, I have taken pictures of my swords.

Here's my rapier, which I use most often:

It's got a 40 inch blade from Zen Warrior, and the guard was made by a local armorer.

This my arming sword:

I bought it from Purpleheart Armory, and it's based on early 14th century Type XVI swords. Note that when I actually fight with it it had to have a rubber tip on it, like the rapier does, but I took it off to clean up the blade. I use this for sword and buckler play, based on Royal Armouries MS I.33, otherwise known as the Walpurgis Fechtbuch. Dating from around 1300, that's the oldest Western European fighting manual that we know of, and also one of the only ones that depicts a woman fighting.

Here are the two swords side by side, you can really see the difference in length here, as the arming sword only has a 31.5" blade:

That leads me to a point I wanted to make, which is that despite what a lot of people think, rapiers are not particularly lighter than other swords. The rapier is 2 pounds, 9.5 ounces, and the arming sword is 2 pounds, 10.1 ounces. Rapiers aren't lighter, they're just longer than earlier single-handed swords.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

As promised, I have taken pictures of my swords.

Here's my rapier, which I use most often:

It's got a 40 inch blade from Zen Warrior, and the guard was made by a local armorer.

This my arming sword:

I bought it from Purpleheart Armory, and it's based on early 14th century Type XVI swords. Note that when I actually fight with it it had to have a rubber tip on it, like the rapier does, but I took it off to clean up the blade. I use this for sword and buckler play, based on Royal Armouries MS I.33, otherwise known as the Walpurgis Fechtbuch. Dating from around 1300, that's the oldest Western European fighting manual that we know of, and also one of the only ones that depicts a woman fighting.

Here are the two swords side by side, you can really see the difference in length here, as the arming sword only has a 31.5" blade:

That leads me to a point I wanted to make, which is that despite what a lot of people think, rapiers are not particularly lighter than other swords. The rapier is 2 pounds, 9.5 ounces, and the arming sword is 2 pounds, 10.1 ounces. Rapiers aren't lighter, they're just longer than earlier single-handed swords.

Quick question - in the combat you do, are attacks to the head allowed?

When I did some medieval poo poo, head shots were verboten. Which totally hosed up the rational way you attack someone holding something in each hand.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Quick question - in the combat you do, are attacks to the head allowed?

When I did some medieval poo poo, head shots were verboten. Which totally hosed up the rational way you attack someone holding something in each hand.

Head shots are absolutely allowed, and in fact encouraged. With rapier, typically only thrusts are allowed, so most people wear normal fencing masks with a cloth hood covering the back of the head. With Cut and Thrust (C&T), which is what I use the arming sword for, cuts are obviously allowed as well, so additional back of the head protection is required. I have a plastic "shell" that fits over the back of the mask, somewhat like this though it's not this exact one:

Other people just wear lightweight steel helmets:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Head shots are absolutely allowed, and in fact encouraged. With rapier, typically only thrusts are allowed, so most people wear normal fencing masks with a cloth hood covering the back of the head. With Cut and Thrust (C&T), which is what I use the arming sword for, cuts are obviously allowed as well, so additional back of the head protection is required. I have a plastic "shell" that fits over the back of the mask, somewhat like this though it's not this exact one:

Other people just wear lightweight steel helmets:

That's loving awesome! Absolutely awesome. Now I want to participate.

Back in the day, like over twenty years ago, the no head shots stuff is what drove me to épée. There were people who constantly won fighting with two swords and their head just hanging out in the open.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Captain Log posted:

That's loving awesome! Absolutely awesome. Now I want to participate.

Back in the day, like over twenty years ago, the no head shots stuff is what drove me to épée. There were people who constantly won fighting with two swords and their head just hanging out in the open.

Honestly, once poo poo is over, go to an SCA event or practice, explain that you have limited leg mobility but you'd like to give fencing a try (and mention your previous epee experience, that will definitely help), and I'm sure someone would oblige you with some bouts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Honestly, once poo poo is over, go to an SCA event or practice, explain that you have limited leg mobility but you'd like to give fencing a try (and mention your previous epee experience, that will definitely help), and I'm sure someone would oblige you with some bouts.

Hell, I might have to just go watch.

I'm pretty sure my lunging days are done.

What does your whole outfit look like?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

I'm really enjoying the swordchat itt

Dingleberry posted:

I’m thinking of selling a gun(s) to buy this...

Is this for the fighting competitions, decoration, or do you beat hog carcasses with it like the coldsteel videos?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Hell, I might have to just go watch.

I'm pretty sure my lunging days are done.

Honestly if you're down with not fighting yourself, but keeping a watchful and somewhat experienced eye on thingss, you'd be an ideal candidate for a marshal. Basically you'd make sure that all parties were fighting safely and not getting too close to any bystanders. They're explicitly not referees though, they don't call shots.

quote:

What does your whole outfit look like?

This is the best picture I could get of my current kit:

I'll take you through the individual components as well.

From left to right there's my gorget, a throat/neck protector (which has seen better days and really needs to be replaced), the plastic back-of-the-head piece that I mentioned earlier, which attaches to the mask with velcro, and my mask and hood itself.

Our rules state that the torso, groin and armpits need additional protection in case of broken and thus actually pointy blades. This can be done with layered cloth (or a modern fencing jacket in a pinch), but many people prefer this mesh chainmail. It's really quite light, very breathable, and you can just wear a shirt or tunic over it.

Here are, from left to right, the gauntlets I got that kicked off this whole discussion, which are in the process of being modified to fit better, the padded gloves that are the minimum level of protection for single-handed Cut & Thrust, my buckler (one of them at least), and my regular rapier fencing gloves. Since normal Rapier combat is thrust only, you don't need the heavier gloves.

Not pictured but equally important is my cup.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Honestly if you're down with not fighting yourself, but keeping a watchful and somewhat experienced eye on thingss, you'd be an ideal candidate for a marshal. Basically you'd make sure that all parties were fighting safely and not getting too close to any bystanders. They're explicitly not referees though, they don't call shots.

This is the best picture I could get of my current kit:

I'll take you through the individual components as well.

From left to right there's my gorget, a throat/neck protector (which has seen better days and really needs to be replaced), the plastic back-of-the-head piece that I mentioned earlier, which attaches to the mask with velcro, and my mask and hood itself.

Our rules state that the torso, groin and armpits need additional protection in case of broken and thus actually pointy blades. This can be done with layered cloth (or a modern fencing jacket in a pinch), but many people prefer this mesh chainmail. It's really quite light, very breathable, and you can just wear a shirt or tunic over it.

Here are, from left to right, the gauntlets I got that kicked off this whole discussion, which are in the process of being modified to fit better, the padded gloves that are the minimum level of protection for single-handed Cut & Thrust, my buckler (one of them at least), and my regular rapier fencing gloves. Since normal Rapier combat is thrust only, you don't need the heavier gloves.

Not pictured but equally important is my cup.

God drat, stuff has come a long way. SCA used to get made fun of pretty hard in Nashville, but that had more to do with one of the main dude being known as a raging rear end in a top hat citywide who probably said, "M'Lady" twice an hour. Everything you are posting is extremely my poo poo. I really appreciate your sharing.

That stuff is just plain legit. I don't know how else to put it. That's probably about as historically accurate as you can get without killing people.

QUESTIONS!!!

- What are the biggest skirmishes that involve actual sword fighting?
- Are there archers?
- Are there any analogues for flails and maces?
- Polearms?
- Is it full contact? Can you kick over a person with a shield if they are planting too hard? poo poo like that?
- How often are the meets? When I did it back in the day it was every Sunday until it got way cold.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Captain Log posted:

God drat, stuff has come a long way. SCA used to get made fun of pretty hard in Nashville, but that had more to do with one of the main dude being known as a raging rear end in a top hat citywide who probably said, "M'Lady" twice an hour. Everything you are posting is extremely my poo poo. I really appreciate your sharing.

That stuff is just plain legit. I don't know how else to put it. That's probably about as historically accurate as you can get without killing people.

Yeah, as with any big group sooner or later you're going to run into an rear end in a top hat. But most of us aren't.

quote:

- What are the biggest skirmishes that involve actual sword fighting?
For rapier, there are melees that involve as many as fifty or a hundred on a side at the big wars. Here's the uncropped vrsion of the picture from my last post, which shows part of one side:

For heavy combat (the stuff with full armor and rattan weapons)? Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqSl3ei6rrM
This was my first SCA war, I'm somewhere on the upper left in that overhead shot that starts about 43 seconds in. There's a few hundred people on the field at this war.

And then there's the biggest SCA event of the year, Pennsic, where literally thousands of people take up arms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jqI6GmFP4Y

quote:

- Are there archers?

Yes, both in Heavy and in Rapier! We have normal target archery, as well as combat archers who use padded arrowheads (or crossbow bolts). Rapier also sometimes has rubberband guns, which use surgical-tube projectiles. You also sometimes see ballistas on the heavy field. Getting hit by a ballista bolt sucks.

quote:

- Are there any analogues for flails and maces?
Not on the rapier field, but maces are a thing in Heavy fighting. They hurt like a bitch. Flails are just too unsafe.

quote:

- Polearms?
Some scenarios allow spears in Rapier, we have recently changed the rules to allow rubber spearheads. In Heavy, they use spears, glaives, billhooks, poleaxes, Dane axes, any kind of blade on a stick you can imagine. But especially spears.

quote:

- Is it full contact? Can you kick over a person with a shield if they are planting too hard? poo poo like that?
Rapier is not full contact. Heavy, however, is, mostly. You can't strike another person directly with your shield or body, but it's perfectly legal to bowl them over by running into their shield with your shield, for instance. Or to do what amounts toa stick check with a polearm. That happened to me at my first war, I got knocked rear end over teakettle by a dude with a glaive. Luckily, a friend of mine was behind me and "killed" him.

quote:

- How often are the meets? When I did it back in the day it was every Sunday until it got way cold.
We typically have practices every week, and then larger events of some kind at least once a month. My local group, which covers Albuquerque and the surrounding area, has two major weekend-long camping events, one over memorial day weekend, and one in late September. Then there are three or four single-day events which don't involve camping, such as Arts and Sciences events, where people enter stuff they've made into competitions and/or attend classes, or our Midwinter Feast. And that's just the local group. If you're willing to travel, you could probably go to an actual event, not just a practice, if not every weekend then certainly every month.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

I've heard good things! Should be soft shooting, and holds 15 in the magazine. They discontinued (or stopped importing?) back in 2012, so they are rarer these days.

They are good as hell. I miss my CZ-82 in 9 Makarov.

Beardless posted:

Absolutely the case.

Some fun video from the An Tir rapier championships this spring, to give you an idea how this looks in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlm_yAqS2_4

IMHO fighting in period dress is a lot more fun than modern HEMA gear for me, and I really like the SCA's system of calling hits on the honor system over the usual HEMA tournament referee setup that leads to a lot of unnecessary afterblows and hard feelings.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 30, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

God drat, this all looks like so much fun. I wish they had this twenty years ago. Pre-internet, it was loving hard to source foam weapons, let alone full steel sets.

Whenever the apocalypse ends, I might have to go check this out. I really, really doubt I'd be able to do anything outside of getting wailed on. But God dang it would be fun to watch.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm really enjoying the swordchat itt

Is this for the fighting competitions, decoration, or do you beat hog carcasses with it like the coldsteel videos?

Id hang it on the wall over the fireplace for emergency use.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Vim Fuego posted:

I bet that will be awesome.

That said, oh snap AIM has Bulgarian Makarovs in stock. Spent too much money already this month on computer stuff or I'd probably be ordering one already.
https://aimsurplus.com/bulgarian-makarov-9x18-pistol/

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Got me a handy little Kel-Tec space bullpup. Slapped a Lucky Irishman Firearms rail on it which takes a little dremel-fu for the -C model (although their Rhino forend can come compatible). It also got some baptism in blood in the process as the ejection chute rails are apparently scalpel sharp and bit my thumb without me noticing. When work reopens planning to Cerakote it with some Burnt Bronze.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Not a cool sword, but here's what the government bought me:

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

darnon posted:

Got me a handy little Kel-Tec space bullpup. Slapped a Lucky Irishman Firearms rail on it which takes a little dremel-fu for the -C model (although their Rhino forend can come compatible). It also got some baptism in blood in the process as the ejection chute rails are apparently scalpel sharp and bit my thumb without me noticing. When work reopens planning to Cerakote it with some Burnt Bronze.

Just ordered one of these with my check. My first gun ever.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

How do you grip that? Can you get your thumb over the top?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, although you need to be a little mindful of rear occular diameter and ring height. I might do more of a proper display of its internals as I put it back together. I presently have it near totally disassembled to do the cerakoting and chopped the barrel.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I watched a review of that gun that said it felt better to shoot than the original design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

BadgerMan45 posted:

Got my CETME-L out to the range yesterday and today. I had to make two trips to zero it because the windage was off and adjustment was very stiff so I had to adjust it at home. Unfortunately, at about 50 rounds the charging handle snapped off during firing which is odd because it is non-reciprocating and I would have expected it to go when charging. Perhaps it had already cracked and I didn't notice. I sent an email to Marcolmar to see if I can get a replacement.

Other than that issue, I had no malfs and I was able to get it zeroed. It has an odd recoil impulse, soft but very long. The trigger is pretty meh like most military guns and all of the controls seem just out of reach so you have to adjust your grip to reach them. Overall, a fun range gun but inferior to an AR in most ways.

Followup on this, I got in touch with Marcolmar since they don't sell individual small parts on their web page. Long story short, they quickly sent out a free replacement and I swapped it out myself. They also offered to replace it for me if I sent it in but it's pretty easy so I opted to do it myself.

«8 »