Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

God when if first watched Sherlock i really liked it, but then i rewatched it last summer because I had not watched the last season, and yea, the first season has some pretty great stuff going on, but poo poo like that is just wacky and totally out of character for any version of Holmes. It's very much in the autism is magic kind of filming that I'm sure people on the spectrum find insulting.

absolutely it's awful for holmes

but just imagine that scene, except instead of "LIBERTY" it's poo poo like "GOA'ULD" "ANCIENT ALIENS" "PYRAMIDS" etc. with daniel cumberbatch doing the walk like an egyptian pose while king tut's burial mask is superimposed over his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
What's your netflix greenlight date

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

karl urban is a recurring guest star on the show trhat plays a character we all like very much who does cool things, also there is a mirror versino of him that is very different but we also like that character a lot too

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

also in teh first episode they mention macguyver

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Sg1 back on netflix :stare:

Aqua
Mar 24, 2004
NukeZone Mod
Wish it was in the UK. Sadly we only have Atlantis to stream. Really jonesing for an SG1 fix.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Amazon has had SG1 here for a long time now, but I don’t use prime video for anything else ever so its kinda whatever

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
There was just this brief period of time in the early 2000's where, if you wanted your villain to have an intimidating voice, you got Christopher Judge to voice them. Like Magneto, in the best X-Men cartoon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fivemarks posted:

There was just this brief period of time in the early 2000's where, if you wanted your villain to have an intimidating voice, you got Christopher Judge to voice them. Like Magneto, in the best X-Men cartoon.

I was just talking about this on the Talking Simpsons discord. He really should be the go to voice of any intimidating character.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqvzDjy3d4

I mean

He can just stare menacingly

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I watched that sg1 ep with odo from ds9 and at the beginning he and general hammond were talking to each other through the stargate and tbh, that was a pretty hard moment

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
My god the episode where Claudia Black shows up is so loving cringy, she's been on camera for all of five minutes and she's literally begging to jump Daniel Jackson's bone. I had to check if Michael Shanks wrote the episode (he did not).

Edit: Fuckin lol when he picks her up and carries her for all of ten feet to the bridge, the place they were walking to already

OutsideAngel fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 18, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if amazon buys MGM like theyre trying to does that mean i might get new stargate on prime some day lol

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
What if Amazon canceled Grand Tour, and used up the remaining cast contract for the SG1 reboot?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Can you people think of any good episodes to show somebody as like a preview of this show?

I have a friend who is working through the next generation and deep space nine shortly and so obviously they are enjoying it very much and thus my recommendations will never carry more weight than now

I feel like the pilot just has too much gratuitous things that are not really excusable and they don't represent the show

Conversely tealc joining the fellowship is still one of my all time favorite moments in sci Fi

Way cooler than Darth Vader turning sides yet again

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Statutory Ape posted:

Can you people think of any good episodes to show somebody as like a preview of this show?

I have a friend who is working through the next generation and deep space nine shortly and so obviously they are enjoying it very much and thus my recommendations will never carry more weight than now

I feel like the pilot just has too much gratuitous things that are not really excusable and they don't represent the show

Conversely tealc joining the fellowship is still one of my all time favorite moments in sci Fi

Tough to use anything from season 1, maybe the nox? honestly i'd probably start with Matter of Time from s2. I really don't think you need a ton of backstory for this show, i'm doing a blind watch of it right now and my spouse will randomly watch episodes with me and the 6 or so 'main' characters are strong enough you get what they're about immediately.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Statutory Ape posted:

Definitely "Window of Opportunity". It's a real out of context episode that is just fun and shows chemistry in the team. No major arc or other stuff.
I am biased though, as it's the one that I saw first

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If this is the one where they go golfing into the Stargate that's an automatic yes

Thank you both for your perspective I genuinely value and appreciate your contributions it was very good to recommend staying away from season 1 and I think my friend would appreciate the nox, I do like how impressively self-contained window of opportunity is too

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Thor's Hammer & it's followup a year later Thor's Chariot might be a good intro
Hammer is season 1 episode 10
Chariot is season2 episode 6

Then there's the time-travel episode to 1969 episode but that episode has lots of stuff that really won't sense to a first time viewer.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
If the concerns with Children of the Gods are the gratuitous nudity and reproductive organs on the inside, then why not try the re-edit of the story which cut them out?

The only issue is that it cuts the cliffhanger into episode 2, but it should be enough to entice someone...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/06/jessica-steen-finally-reveals-why-stargate-recast-dr-weir/

The true reason why Jessica Steen was recast as Elizabeth Weir has finally been revealed!

She was too much of a hardcore Burning Man fan for the producers to handle.

""He said, ‘They felt [that] you were more committed to naked drugging in the desert than you would be committed to doing the show the way they needed you to.”

She told Smith at the time that the irony of the decision was that, had she been hired for Stargate Atlantis, she would have given that job her same level of commitment."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkqOKD1uFU

lmao tealc "do i????????????????????" like he definitely also realized the trillion times jack said indeed back and it being a joke

i always assumed atlantis sucked for basically no reason i guess and so i didnt watch it until about 2012. man, that show rules i love the cast so much mostly

Is that baby jason mamoa or just potato quality playing tricks on me? I was re-watching SG1 recently, kind of weird rough start that I don't remember at all seeing it as a kid. There was a lot of open-mouth shocked when people realized they had to work with a g-g-g-g-irl!?!

Guess I always saw em out of order though, didn't even know or see the movie until later and I was so annoyed how they changed all the actors from the show and it seemed so wrong. I've seen the movie again since then and it's definitely a good movie, I was just shocked as a kid. I maintain Kurt Russell still looks wrong for the macguyver role, look like jean claude van dam movie miniboss.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

indeed

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

When Teal'c's hair is longer than Ronon Dex's, it's the sg-1 sg-a crossover ep

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I like how mirror/alternate tealc is always a gigantic beastly worst possible outcome of tealc

Christopher Judge was such a perfect cast for that role, there's so few people who have the physicality and demeanor to pull off being massive and convincingly able to rip people literally apart while also basically being a teddy bear

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Khanstant posted:

Is that baby jason mamoa or just potato quality playing tricks on me? I was re-watching SG1 recently, kind of weird rough start that I don't remember at all seeing it as a kid. There was a lot of open-mouth shocked when people realized they had to work with a g-g-g-g-irl!?!

Guess I always saw em out of order though, didn't even know or see the movie until later and I was so annoyed how they changed all the actors from the show and it seemed so wrong. I've seen the movie again since then and it's definitely a good movie, I was just shocked as a kid. I maintain Kurt Russell still looks wrong for the macguyver role, look like jean claude van dam movie miniboss.

That's interesting, because I saw the original movie long before the series, and when I first saw it I couldnt' believe they cast Richard Dean Anderson as Snake Pliskin. I quickly grew to love him though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I need to rewatch it again apparently because I was about to say I appreciated they kept the nerd scientist guy the same between show and movie but holy poo poo, no, that's the loving lizard king in the movie version.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
My girlfriend watched the first season without having seen the movie and then mentioned that she thought James Spader had done a good job.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Khanstant posted:

I need to rewatch it again apparently because I was about to say I appreciated they kept the nerd scientist guy the same between show and movie but holy poo poo, no, that's the loving lizard king in the movie version.

I think you're confused, the Lizard King flew jets with Maverick, the nerdy scientist guy was Robert California.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/06/jessica-steen-finally-reveals-why-stargate-recast-dr-weir/

The true reason why Jessica Steen was recast as Elizabeth Weir has finally been revealed!

She was too much of a hardcore Burning Man fan for the producers to handle.

""He said, ‘They felt [that] you were more committed to naked drugging in the desert than you would be committed to doing the show the way they needed you to.”

She told Smith at the time that the irony of the decision was that, had she been hired for Stargate Atlantis, she would have given that job her same level of commitment."

That incredible feeling when you discover one of your favorite Canadian character actors actually kicks loads of rear end in real life

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

This show had really neat music too. I loved the various themes they used for different places and contexts within a place. The little "we're at SG Command jus chillin nothin to see here while we relax" music that would turn into a cool military cadence when stuff ramped up or whatever.

Its nice that they didnt do what TNG decided to do and minimize the impactfulness of the music intentionally, RIP ron jones TNG career

E: also when they all accomplished a cool deed together how it pretty much sounded like the textbook definition of "yay mission complete, team" music

those scores probably have names and whatnot but lol if i can wade thru the internet to figure out which pieces of what they decided to use for leitmotif

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 24, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sort of re-watched stargate last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71OU0NpcwM

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Did anyone actually watch Stargate: Origins? Apparently all the eps cut together movie-wise are about 100 mins, worth it?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Grandma Panic! posted:

Did anyone actually watch Stargate: Origins? Apparently all the eps cut together movie-wise are about 100 mins, worth it?

Put it on while you're doing other stuff, it's not great, but it's at least got some moving images and fun noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I do love me some Connor Trinneer, don't @ me.