Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
post your fav pairings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
PLPC with a medium roast coffee before 10am.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Diet Dr Pepper with anything.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Mostly coffee or seltzer water. Sometimes a nice crisp lager/pilsner, bourbon, or with a mild cigar I’ve done gin and tonic without it being weird.

I haven’t smoked enough of any one cigar to really have an optimal pairing for any of them.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Seltzer with a lemon is also a good pairing with almost anything.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I drink a stupid amount of seltzer and usually have flavored stuff. I started to buy unflavored seltzer specifically for smoking cigars but I’ve never tried adding lemon to it. I’ve found that orange seltzer goes okay-ish with most cigars but some of the flavors don’t mesh well. I am actually taking a break from both cigars and seltzer because my tongue has been sort of messed up.

I’ve been mostly drinking unsweetened iced tea which also seems like it would probably go well with cigars.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Black coffee, water, seltzer with lemon/lime, or unsweetened ice tea are my go to beverages.

E: Sparked the el centurion toro. Ok I’m glad all of the talk about it in this thread stuck in my head. It’s a drat good cigar and I’m surprised how much flavor density is there with a bigger ring gauge (46 or less is my go to). Now I need to find a corona size to see if the different wrapper to filler ratio changes this.

I’m not even mad that it was 11$. Well worth it.

Lyon posted:

CDX was his name. I just got passed that segment and you selling off all of your cigars hah.

I try not to think back on that. If I held off a few more years I could have doubled the money I got for a lot of those rare/vintage smokes... or I could have smoked them.

The ones that hurt the most were the original release Trinidad robusto Ts. I smoked one every year on their box date (since it is the same as my clean date, and I only made it through two :(

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 7, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nondescript Van posted:

post your fav pairings

Gonna back up the seltzer water posts in here. A Soda Stream was a good pickup for me.

I find a lot of bourbons and whiskies overpower a lot of cigar flavors, but drat if it isn't a fun one.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah if it was a cigar I hadn’t tried before I don’t think I’d drink booze with it. On the second+ time around I’m less concerned with “judging” the cigar and I don’t mind the interaction of flavors as long as they are complementary.

I typically go through six or more cans of seltzer a day and I was smoking two to three cigars, I think the carbonic acid from the seltzer and all the cigars is doing a number on my tongue. Hopefully if I cut both out for a few days I’ll be back to normal. Slipped up and drank two seltzers today just out of habit and then I had a soda but holding strong on the cigars.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve found that 2 cigars a week is the best if I am trying to pick out every nuance of a cigar but less than 4 a week was always doable for a combo of enjoyment and being able to smoke more.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm gonna be honest, we've only been so-so on the H-2K-CT. I had my second one today (toro), and it was mild, a bit creamy with some cereal flavors, but didn't really grab me at any point. It's really weird, cause I was prepared to be super into it, but I feel like it fell pretty flat relative to my expectations.

This box is from Feb. 2020, so maybe they just need some time in the humidor? I dunno, what sort of flavors do you all pick up from them that I'm missing?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’ll have to smoke another one and do a real review. If I remember correctly it started off with spicy cream which developed a more mellow cereal/grain flavors with some sweetness (caramel maybe?), the spice sort of meanders in and out which was nice. I got a dried bean taste every once and a while in a weirdly pleasant way (like a bag of uncooked Goya beans).

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Does anyone make cigars with perique or is that ridiculous/sacrilegious?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

Does anyone make cigars with perique or is that ridiculous/sacrilegious?

I have no idea on your actual question but I just read through the very pipe heavy part of the old thread where you and all the pipe guys were super active. I need to create some sort of cigar/pipe thread signal to summon everyone back.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was planning on buying a banner ad once Jeffery finally owns the place.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

I’ll have to smoke another one and do a real review. If I remember correctly it started off with spicy cream which developed a more mellow cereal/grain flavors with some sweetness (caramel maybe?), the spice sort of meanders in and out which was nice. I got a dried bean taste every once and a while in a weirdly pleasant way (like a bag of uncooked Goya beans).

This minus the beans for the most part. The best comparison I can make would be a stronger, spicier ERDM choix Supreme

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

I was planning on buying a banner ad once Jeffery finally owns the place.

Ah that makes sense. I will start smoking a pipe if it will help lure more suckers back. My life is empty.

Ophidian posted:

This minus the beans for the most part. The best comparison I can make would be a stronger, spicier ERDM choix Supreme

The bean thing was only on one of the two that I’ve smoked and it would randomly pop in but it never stuck around. It didn’t feel like it was “part” of the cigar but I definitely tasted it.

In unrelated news all of my international orders have shipped and now I play the waiting game. I ordered from four vendors to see what shipping time and customer service look like. I’m tracking order, ship, and delivery dates since Covid seems to be severely impacting the timing.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m close to ordering a cab of 2016 RASS. God help me.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
He’s baaaaaaaaaaaack. I kid, I kid. Cigars seem like any hobby where interest goes in and out, if you’ll enjoy it then why not? I feel like you took cigars to it’s outer edges before and probably won’t need to get as deep into it this time around.

I ordered a ten box each of Montecristo 2 and 4, a box of Bolivar Petit Corona, a box of RASS, a box of HdM Petite Corona, 12 Trinidad Reyes, 12 PLPC, and 10 RA Superiores. This is getting split up but in for a penny in for a pound I guess.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That last run of cigars taught me what I like and what I don’t. As well as what the best bang for the buck was/is.

The one lovely thing is all my favorite smoked have been discontinued save for maybe three (RASS, r&j short Churchill, hup mag 46)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ophidian posted:

I’m close to ordering a cab of 2016 RASS. God help me.

That sounds beautiful.

I'm pretty excited to get these Verocru and La Aurora Sapphires in. Definitely going to be trying more of those Preferido blends because they're comically cheap on CA.

Any other good under the radar finds for y'all?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If your CA order hasn't consolidated yet, here are a couple things I've been looking at but probably won't be able to pick up this round:

DPG Original Exquisitos
La Aurora 107 Lancero
ROMEO 505 robustos
San Cristobal Revelation Mystics

On CI the Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds are back in stock. Thinking about grabbing a couple bundles of the petite corona 1990.

I've been waiting for the Flor de las Antillas toro and robusto boxes to come up for auction, but they keep getting pushed back. Lots of places are out of FdlA right now, so I assume they're basically just delaying them indefinitely. I'm hoping they are restocked again soon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh those are some great picks! We're tapped for budget, but I'm gonna be sailing the seven seas of CA for cheap and cheerful gets for quite a while. Maaaybe we'll splurge on another interesting box for the courthouse wedding next month.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I got a 20 pack of those Olivia Proteges for like nothing on Cigar Bid a week or so ago. Got into them yesterday and today. A plain but solid smoke that I could see being a daily stick. Im sure the “protege” thing is just a marketing gimmick, but I won’t complain about cheap Olivias.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What are some good entry lines for RyJ cubans?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I got a 20 pack of those Olivia Proteges for like nothing on Cigar Bid a week or so ago. Got into them yesterday and today. A plain but solid smoke that I could see being a daily stick. Im sure the “protege” thing is just a marketing gimmick, but I won’t complain about cheap Olivias.

I got these a few months ago and they are good knock around cigars. Like you said plain but solid. A lot of the time I don’t end up finishing the entire cigar because I’m out of the house or if I’m drunk and don’t want to risk wasting a better cigar which these are great for. Honestly I’d probably look for something a bit nicer for a daily at home relaxing cigar but I like these for when I don’t want to care about finishing, losing, or damaging the cigar.

You can get some solid $3 cigars if you are patient on the auction sites. As a recent example, NFM and Kenning both just got a 50 box of Tatuaje Verocu No. 5s for $2.70/per. They are tiny little guys but great flavor and perfect for a quick daily smoke. If you’re patient you can find good deals on some nicer stuff, you can score a box of La Aroma de Cuba for $3.50/per (which I’ve personally been eyeing so I’m using it as my example).

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

Lyon posted:

What are some good entry lines for RyJ cubans?

I got these a few months ago and they are good knock around cigars. Like you said plain but solid. A lot of the time I don’t end up finishing the entire cigar because I’m out of the house or if I’m drunk and don’t want to risk wasting a better cigar which these are great for. Honestly I’d probably look for something a bit nicer for a daily at home relaxing cigar but I like these for when I don’t want to care about finishing, losing, or damaging the cigar.

You can get some solid $3 cigars if you are patient on the auction sites. As a recent example, NFM and Kenning both just got a 50 box of Tatuaje Verocu No. 5s for $2.70/per. They are tiny little guys but great flavor and perfect for a quick daily smoke. If you’re patient you can find good deals on some nicer stuff, you can score a box of La Aroma de Cuba for $3.50/per (which I’ve personally been eyeing so I’m using it as my example).

I don't think you can go wrong with the short churchill's from RyJ.

goblox fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 8, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Short Churchill’s are my favorite. Second favorite: cazzadores.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Got myself a Nording bent dublin from smokingpipes.com. I'm digging it, it looks great and is not too heavy...the bowl is pretty big so you can fill 'er up for long walks and such.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I just smoked a Leaf by Oscar Corojo and thought it was just okay. A lot of wood and some nuts. I’m still debating that LAdC box to get the sweet camo hat and ashtray...

That’s a pretty dope looking pipe.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Which leaf?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

Got myself a Nording bent dublin from smokingpipes.com. I'm digging it, it looks great and is not too heavy...the bowl is pretty big so you can fill 'er up for long walks and such.

That pipe is super cool.

Lyon posted:

I just smoked a Leaf by Oscar Corojo and thought it was just okay. A lot of wood and some nuts. I’m still debating that LAdC box to get the sweet camo hat and ashtray...

What was the vitola? The Leaf by Oscar Corojo lancero is one of my favorite smokes at this point. I've been smoking them down to the absolute nub.

Had the Ave Maria Reconquista torpedo last night. This was the regular release, rather than the perfecto from the sampler. Heavy pepper and chocolate, smoked extremely well for the first half, then by the second have I was having a few combustion issues. It wasn't enough to ruin the cigar, just reduced the smoke output somewhat. Quite pleasant for a sometimes smoke when I want some peppery intensity.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seventh Arrow posted:

That rules! I was thinking about picking up another pipe I can actually put down.

E: I'm actually pretty interested in some pipe tobacco that has some good spice to it like allspice and cardamom if anyone knows any.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 9, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

What was the vitola? The Leaf by Oscar Corojo lancero is one of my favorite smokes at this point. I've been smoking them down to the absolute nub.

Had the Ave Maria Reconquista torpedo last night. This was the regular release, rather than the perfecto from the sampler. Heavy pepper and chocolate, smoked extremely well for the first half, then by the second have I was having a few combustion issues. It wasn't enough to ruin the cigar, just reduced the smoke output somewhat. Quite pleasant for a sometimes smoke when I want some peppery intensity.

Had to be the Toro but they only have the one vitola so I didn't even look. It was fine just not exactly my cup of tea. Lot of wood and nuts, maybe some leather or earth. I loved the Leaf by Oscar Connecticut. I'll check out the Maduro next I think. Even though I no longer dislike Sumatra it still isn't my favorite wrapper. If I ever see the Corojo in the lancero I'll check it out.

I sort of want to smoke something else but i'm trying to cut down to four cigars a week.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

That rules! I was thinking about picking up another pipe I can actually put down.

E: I'm actually pretty interested in some pipe tobacco that has some good spice to it like allspice and cardamom if anyone knows any.

Three Nuns is pretty spicy. As an added bonus, it's one of the tobaccos CS Lewis used to smoke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lyon posted:

Had to be the Toro but they only have the one vitola so I didn't even look. It was fine just not exactly my cup of tea. Lot of wood and nuts, maybe some leather or earth. I loved the Leaf by Oscar Connecticut. I'll check out the Maduro next I think. Even though I no longer dislike Sumatra it still isn't my favorite wrapper. If I ever see the Corojo in the lancero I'll check it out.

I sort of want to smoke something else but i'm trying to cut down to four cigars a week.

Yeah, I've got a 20 pack of the Leaf Maduro coming in next week. Your description certainly sounds basically like what the lancero was like, so it might just not be your flavor profile. I'm looking forward to trying the Sumatra soon myself, since I really enjoyed the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 perfecto, which is a Sumatra wrapper. If nothing else, unwrapping a Leaf feels very cool, people like the raw tobacco leaf look.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I've got a 20 pack of the Leaf Maduro coming in next week. Your description certainly sounds basically like what the lancero was like, so it might just not be your flavor profile. I'm looking forward to trying the Sumatra soon myself, since I really enjoyed the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 perfecto, which is a Sumatra wrapper. If nothing else, unwrapping a Leaf feels very cool, people like the raw tobacco leaf look.

It is definitely the best gimmick in the industry, apparently you can smoke through the band too but I have always taken it off (on all two that I’ve smoked). Have you had the maduro or is this a leap of faith?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Leap of faith! I've got several people in my cigar-buying syndicate at this point so I can afford to take some risks. So far I haven't utterly struck out so people still have faith in me.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Shaggy feet and pig tails are my favorite cigar gimmick. I think that’s part of the draw of the monsdales for me.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

Shaggy feet and pig tails are my favorite cigar gimmick. I think that’s part of the draw of the monsdales for me.

Both of those sort of make me nervous that I’m going to gently caress the cigar up either cutting or lighting it. I haven’t actually had any problems but I definitely am a little apprehensive of them hah.

Did you smoke the Leaf Connecticut? The Corojo didn’t do much for me but I loved the Connecticut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Did anyone link this yet?

https://twitter.com/OriginalYoni/status/1301185618194685952