Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
You can also just use some Tupperware with a gas seal and put that in the humidor :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I am a nicotine baby who can only smoke like half a flake of tobacco at a time. I don't exactly want to build up a tolerance, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with too much nicotine aside from going slow, dosing small, and pounding sugar if I go too far? Some of the stronger blends are right up my alley flavour-wise but getting nic-sick suuuuucks

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Only other thing is eat a big meal before hand, and in addition to going slow, try to let up at the first sign of sickness rather than toughing through

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Kenning posted:

Congrats on the job! Hope you get to smoke something nice to celebrate.

The Parsons arrived today, I'm super stoked to bust one out. Gonna see my buddies tomorrow to give them their share. I'll report back.

NewFatMike posted:

Congrats Zuffenphile! I bet it's a load off your shoulders.

Had a LAdC Rothschild from my most recent restock yesterday, and it's certainly not ready. I did find a Tatuaje Verocru Petite Corona knocking around in there from forever ago that was just exquisite.

Real psyched to hear about those Corticos!

Thanks for the well wishes.....plan on breaking out a Cohiba 1966 I have been saving.

coronaball posted:

I've been out of the loop on cigars for a couple years, but I just got back from Mexico and picked up a handful at the (insanely overpriced) LCDH in Playa del Carmen. I've got a desktop humidor that's been sitting there empty and unused for a good 3-4 years. I wiped it down well with distilled water, and put a shot glass of distilled water in, and then put the sticks in still in there ziploc bag. Anything else I should be doing in the short term? I'll go out tomorrow and get one of those small gel humidity packs.

another old trick is to use a carrot or two to provide humidity (just keep them separate from the smokes...

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I am a nicotine baby who can only smoke like half a flake of tobacco at a time. I don't exactly want to build up a tolerance, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with too much nicotine aside from going slow, dosing small, and pounding sugar if I go too far? Some of the stronger blends are right up my alley flavour-wise but getting nic-sick suuuuucks

Also it’s a pipe (guess from mentioning a flake), put it down and finish it later. Unlike cigars, you can do that with a pipe with no ill effect.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

In additioned to what's been mentioned, pay attention to how much your mouth is watering. Excessive saliva / feeling like you need to spit is a sure precursor to the nicotine blues. If you notice this stop, have some sugar and resume or just stop.

Drinking a sugary beverage while smoking helps too, unless like me you're hypoglycemic, which in that case just pay attention to your mouth moisture, haha.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
There are some solid deal on ihavs right now. My cousin and I are splitting two boxes ea of the RG panatelas extra and Partagas petite corona esp.

160 dollars for 50 sticks is A+ rad territory

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hachi machi those are great deals! Atlantic is running a deal - half off on AJ Fernandez boxes:

https://atlanticcigar.com/search-re...ast+Call+Maduro

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A couple nights ago me and the boys smoked the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire robusto, as well as one of the Padron Corticos. The Sapphire was quite good, although it's like 2 years younger than the coronas we got earlier this year. I really liked the format, and I caught a decent amount of the honey-and-cream flavor, but I feel like I should leave these in the box for a few more months to see if they can relax a bit and develop some more.

The Corticos were super weird in a fun way. There was a flash of pepper on spark up, and then there was a really distinctive yeasty note that hung out for the first half inch or so. Like being in a bakery at 4 am, it was this rich bready yeasty flavor. Then some vanilla popped up so it felt like cupcake frosting, then a little bit of the more normal Padron oak and walnuts, then lots of cinnamon, and it finished with a burst of potpourri right before we kicked them. Quite a ride for a little smoke, and easily the weirdest Padron we've had so far.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh that sounds rad as hell!

How long do you let things from Atlantic sit, usually? I find anything that gets to me after a few days in the mail needs a couple three weeks to start smoking right, and maybe a month or two before they really start popping off.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

Oh that sounds rad as hell!

How long do you let things from Atlantic sit, usually? I find anything that gets to me after a few days in the mail needs a couple three weeks to start smoking right, and maybe a month or two before they really start popping off.

Everything Gramps and I have pulled out of Atlantic mail has been killer day of, but we're also in the next state over from where they ship basically. Also most stuff doesn't last "months" here soooooo

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lmao I mean same, the stuff I pull that's been around months usually got under something and escaped notice :v:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Whatcha smoking this weekend my dudes? I pulled this one out of m humidor after a few months rest - it violates my ring gauge preferences at a massive 6x60, but apparently punch cuts help. Pretty delicious so far!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m leaning towards a 2015 Ramon Allones RE or a mag 46. UFC 263 tonight after the kids go to bed is the plan.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Just finished a Padron 1926 No 47 Maduro, now smoking a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. Really branching out here.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for the nicotine tips, I think the main thing is yeah don't be a dumbass and try and push through when I can always return to the pipe hours later.

Trying C&D Gentleman Caller tonight for the first time and goddamn it's the poo poo, I quite like deer tongue and this is the best application I've found of it so far. Even lightly used it dominates the flavour of the blend but it's such a nice natural herb-y way to make a tobacco turn aromatic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ThatOneGuy posted:

Just finished a Padron 1926 No 47 Maduro, now smoking a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. Really branching out here.

Now that is a day of smokes.

I had a La Aurora Preferidos Ruby corona and it smoked real nice. Big clouds of smoke, delicate chocolate and perfume flavor. Love those Preferidos.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I ought to pick more up myself!

Finally cracked into the San Cristobal Revelations we ordered from Atlantic a few weeks ago. They certainly came together much faster than from other online stores.

Fabulous smoke - chocolate, clove, cinnamon. They're so some of our favorites and it's so nice to be reminded why!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

A couple nights ago me and the boys smoked the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire robusto, as well as one of the Padron Corticos. The Sapphire was quite good, although it's like 2 years younger than the coronas we got earlier this year. I really liked the format, and I caught a decent amount of the honey-and-cream flavor, but I feel like I should leave these in the box for a few more months to see if they can relax a bit and develop some more.

I forgot to mention that this cigar had the most beautiful burn line and ash I've had in a while. I took a picture!

Great stuff, I love a nice dense, white ash.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I forgot to mention that this cigar had the most beautiful burn line and ash I've had in a while. I took a picture!

Great stuff, I love a nice dense, white ash.

The LA Diamond and Sapphire always have killer ash. The only cigars I've had that have anything comparable are the Cohiba Red Dots, which basically look like they have chalk coming out of em pretty much every time.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Smoking a Leaf by Oscar Connecticut at (apparently) their flagship cigar lounge in Pittsburgh. Was a little worried at first that this was going to be too intense, but smoking it gently I'm in heaven.

I started smoking a pipe occasionally, mostly Virginia, and found I much preferred it to cigars, which were too intense. But recently I've smoked a few Connecticuts that I've really really enjoyed. The mild flavors nicely temper the fact that I'm sucking on a giant wad of tobacco.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
Checking back in….

Smoking an Montecristo 80 Anivesario for my Sunday afternoon. 55 x 6.5 double robusto. Dark brown oily wrapper and perfumed aroma before lighting

So far amazing, light to medium light draw - this was rolled right! Very balanced and smooth in flavor, almost creamy in smoke and taste, little sweet and earthy for the first third…

Second third gets a bit stronger with some leather and earth, however, not bitter nor spicy definitely not a one note cigar, …the smoke is very sweet.

Third third - has a definite shift, flavor, Earthiness is getting stronger but not bitter the smoke is deeper but still creamy and sweet.

An amazing stick, great depth and flavor, for me a 9 out of 10…..

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Today:
La Colmena 44 by Warped
Padron 1964 Monarcha Maduro
Bowl of Esoterica Pembroke

The La Colmena and Padron are great as usual, stark constants to each other.

Getting some ghosting out of the Pembroke as I’m using a pipe I haven’t smoke for years and I don’t remember what I had out of it. Tastes a bit like Cardiff, which checks out.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man. Oh man, the L'Atelier LAT38 Selection Speciale is extremely tight. It's real sweet - the super good Sancti Spiritus wrapper really stands out here. It's a different priming than the regular L'Atelier LAT line, and it is bananas.

It reminds me most of the Travailleurs, and I'm warming up to having another LAT56 after preparing my body properly.

Side note: had some Black Studio Works Rohrschachs last night and they were great - I'm seriously considering picking up a 50 cab.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok, here's a basic version of the basics of pipes and tobacco. We can add on to this later.

Mr. Wiggles’ Pipe Primer

The story runs that when the tomb of the half-divine Callisto was removed to Paris, the immortal nymph wandered nightly through the gay quarters of the city seeking diversion. Chancing to enter the flat of a fashionable young Parisian, she lamented to him that in all the centuries that had elapsed since her former life mankind had devised not one new pleasure. Sighing assent, the young man idly handed her a cigarette, only find, when he had shown her the use of the dainty tube of white and gold, that, quite inadvertently, he had given her what she craved, a new, and indeed, exquisite pleasure.
-Alfred Dunhill, The Pipe Book

Smoking tobacco in a pipe is a practice that goes back before recorded history. Many Native American groups had been smoking pipes for thousands of years, as best we can tell, before contact with Europeans. This smoking was often ceremonial, and frankly I’m not enough of an expert in this aspect (nor am I Native American) to be able to speak with authority on the subject. So we’ll concentrate on the smoking of tobacco through pipes as it developed post European contact with North America.
In the five hundred years or so since Europeans ran in to North American and discovered such things as tomatoes, corn, chili peppers, and tobacco, the spread of these crops has happened faster than any other blossoming of produce since the beginning of time. And why not? In addition to the foodstuffs, the non-American world quickly found that tobacco was a remarkable plant, capable of providing stimulation, concentration, and pleasure in ways never thought of before. Smoking the leaves of this plant rolled together as a cigar (and later a cigarette) certainly was fantastic, but the purest form of enjoyment came then as now by smoking from a pipe, just as the Native Americans did. As the Europeans colonized the Americas, the tobacco plant was developed into further variety than it had known, pipe styles developed in all parts of the world, and the simple pleasures of smoking were found in all corners of the globe.
Tobacco use grew and grew, and up until the 1950s smoking a pipe was one of the most normal yet sophisticated thing any man (and in those more sexist times, it was almost always men who smoked pipes, John D. Rockefeller’s mother and other rural women excepted in the popular consciousness) could do. From the 1960s on, pipe smoking waned faster than cigarette smoking, being seen as “old fashioned” or even worse, “something for olds”. And even though cigars have never lost their cachet as a high class past time, pipes have still not quite seen the renaissance that they’re due. But this could change with you! Following is a brief bit of knowledge about pipes, pipe tobacco, and the smoking of pipes that perhaps I can share with you if you decide to take up this lovey habit. If you’re already a pipe smoker, then perhaps this can answer questions that you have had in the back of your head for some time. In any case, happy smoking!
Types of Pipe Tobacco
Pipe tobacco is typically blended by mast blenders from multiple varieties in order to achieve various flavor profiles. Tobaccos flavored with adjuncts or other flavorings are called “aromatic” tobaccos, while non-flavored tobaccos are typically referred to either by the blender’s proprietary name or by the name of the varietal itself.
Virginia – Virginia tobaccos are the ur-tobacco. High in sugar content, these tobaccos develop very interesting but intense flavors during the tobacco leave fermentation process. Often this leads to a vinegary or “ketchup-y” aroma for pure Virginia tobacco blends that some folks love (I’m one of those). Virginia tobaccos burn hot, but have a sweet, complex taste. Virginias are a common base tobacco in better blends.
Burley – A nutty, neutral tobacco, this is the most important varietal for “American” style blends (think Prince Albert), and is also used as the basis for most aromatics.
Maryland – Maryland tobacco is the basic American cigarette tobacco. Often used in Danish blends, it doesn’t show up in many other pipe tobaccos. It’s fairly mild and neutral.
Oriental – Also called “Turkish”, these are the fragrant tobaccos from Anatolia and the near east. Delicious, complex, and very important in blending.
Latakia – Not a varietal so much as a process, Latakia tobacco is smoked during the curing process, leading to a deep, somewhat bitter smokehouse flavor. A little goes a long way, and is mostly used in Balkan and some English style blends.
Perique – Tobacco from St. James Parish in Louisiana, this spicy tobacco is the king of nicotine. It provides an interesting accent in some blends, but can overpower if not used judiciously.
Cavendish – This is a name for a process, really, in which the tobacco is steamed and then placed under pressure. This produces a very sweet end product.
American Blend – Mostly based on burley, American blends are more “cigarette” like. Rather thin, dry, and neutral, but often very inexpensive and good in its own way. I like American style blends when I’m fishing or doing other outdoorsy stuff.
English Blend – Typically a blend of Virginia, Oriental, and Latakia tobaccos. Smoky and complex.
Scottish Blend – Typically a blend of Cavendish processed Virginias and Latakia, sweet and smoky. Good examples are from Rattray and MacBaren.
Balkan Blend – A blend of Virginia, Oriental, and Latakia tobaccos typical of the Balkan region, and was typified by the Balkan Sobranie blend.
Aromatic blends – this can be really anything in the lines of “flavored pipe tobacco.” This is where you’ll find your vanillas, cherries, and plums. Aromatic blends get a bad rap among pipe enthusiasts, being considered of generally lower quality. However, good aromatic blends are good, and can be enjoyed even by the well seasoned pipe smoker. They also typically leave the room smelling really, really good after smoking. When people think of “pipe tobacco smell” it’s usually aromatic blends they’re thinking of.
Ribbon cut – Pipe tobacco comes in all sorts of cuts, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Ribbon cut is just what is sounds like – the tobacco is cut into fine ribbons. This allows it to be packed and lit easily, but can sometimes burn to hot for enjoyment.
Flake – This is tobacco leaves pressed into larger flakes, which must be “rubbed out” between the thumb and forefinger while loading. Usually burns cooler.
Broken Flake – Flake tobacco, but smaller flakes. Easier to work with than regular flake.
Plug – A solid brick of tobacco that you have to chip pieces off of and work to get in to your pipe. Very uncommon.
Rope – Like plug, except in a dense rope configuration. Famous, and good for packaging efficiency, but also very rare.
Shag – This is what most of the Danish tobaccos come in. Think Bugler cigarette tobacco – very finely shredded. Very easy to load in the pipe, stays lit well, but burns hot like ribbon cut. Tends to be of lower quality, but not necessarily.
How to store pipe tobacco
Unlike cigars, pipe tobacco likes a little abuse. Typically, it will smoke better when a little dryer than the 70% rh that we keep cigars at. But don’t let it dry too much – this will make it burn very wrong, and you’ll miss a lot of aroma. Generally, you’ll want the tobacco to be “spongey” to the touch. If it’s brittle it’s too dry, if it’s tacky it’s too wet. Most pipe smokers keep their tobacco in tobacco jars, which have a rubber sealing ring. Mason jars are also common. You can also keep pipe tobacco in the tin it comes in (if it’s tinned tobacco), but this will dry out quicker than other methods. If your tobacco is too wet, just take the lid off and let it sit for a while. If it’s too dry, sprinkle a few drops of water in the jar and shake it around. Don’t worry about your tobacco too much – it can always be brought back to life.
Types of Pipes
Tobacco pipes are generally categorized by their shape. There are all sorts of shapes and sizes, with different bowl geometries, different stem shapes, etc. I cannot begin to cover all of the possible types, as pipe carving is as much sculpture as it is function, and thus the shapes reflect the individual artist’s expression. I will cover some of the general pipe shapes, though. For this guide, assume that most pipes are made of briar – a hard, dense root of a Mediterranean bush that’s perfect for carving in to pipes. I’ll give some definitions of other materials as well.
Billiard – This is the basic “straight” pipe. The bowl will join to the stem at a 90 degree angle. Typically, these have a bowl that is taller than it is wide (the obverse is called a pot). Billiard style pipes are easy to hold in the mouth without a hand, are stylish, and provide a lovely smoking experience. Most of my pipes are billiard types.
Bent – These pipes are, well, bent. Instead of a straight stem, the stem curves up from the bowl and to the mouthpiece. These pipes tend to cool the tobacco smoke more than a billiard, and thus can provide a more flavorful smoke. They are more difficult to hold in the mouth unaided, though, and are somewhat “old fashioned.”
Calabash – A variation of the bent pipe, these are the canonical “Sherlock Holmes” pipe. In the old times these were made from calabash gourds, but today are usually briar. The top of the bowl is flared dramatically, rather like a trumpet.
Bulldog – A pipe, either bent or straight, with a squat tapered bowl. Usually fit in the pocket easier, and are more streamlined.
Sitter – A pipe with a flat bottom to the bowl section which can sit on a flat surface unaided.
Churchwarden – These pipes have very long stems, and really smoke very well even though they went out of style sometime in the 1700s I think. The long stem cools the smoke, making for a pleasant experience. Best enjoyed sitting down – you won’t be driving racecars or chopping down trees with a churchwarden in your mouth.
System pipes – These are made by Peterson, and involve a little drain area for moisture to collect. These smoke very well.
Filter pipes – These are pipes which include an integral filter. Sometimes the filter is just a small piece of metal which tar clings to, sometimes it’s a whole contrived cotton filter setup. Either way, filter pipes filter the smoke, reducing tar and particulate matter at the cost of some flavor.
Clay – Clay pipes were once ubiquitous in taverns and pubs. They were owned by the pub, and rented out to those who wanted to smoke. When the smoker was done, a portion of the long, clay stem would simply be broken off. These pipes smoke pretty good, but they get too hot to touch. Be careful!
Metal – Like clay pipes, these get too hot to handle. Really, stay away from metal pipes for tobacco.
Hardwood – Cherry, maple, ash, etc. all make fine pipes. Not quite as good as briar, but they can have a certain visual appeal.
Brylon/Other synthetics – Some pipes are made from artificial materials. Popular in the 60s and 70s, these have fallen out of fashion and for good reason. Cheap garbage for the most part.
Meerschaum – A maritime mineral deposit that is carved into beautiful shapes. Not only does meerschaum smoke beautifully, the material will slowly take on the color of the tobacco. What starts as bone white will change to a beautiful golden brown the more the pipe is smoked. Fragle.
Corncob – The most American way to smoke tobacco. Literally a hollowed out corn cob with a stem attached, these smoke better than they have any right to. You’ll look like a hick, but you’ll be enjoying yourself. Very cheap and replaceable – these are what I smoke when I’m camping/canoeing/doing anything where I might lose the entire pipe.
How to load and smoke a pipe
To load your pipe, fill it loosely with tobacco. Then, compress this with your finger until the pipe is about 1/3 full. Do it again, compressing to about 2/3 full. Top it off one more time and lightly tamp down the top of the tobacco. Now, light your pipe (I use a bic, some people only use matches – use whatever you like) by placing fire against the tobacco and drawing some smoke in to your mouth with easy puffs. The tobacco will flare a bit and go out – that’s ok. Tamp down the somewhat burnt tobacco and light again. Puff away – it should stay lit pretty well now. Occasionally, tamp down the ash in your pipe and re-light it. When the tobacco is all done, dig the ash out with a pipe tool or whatever – what’s left in the pipe is called the “dottle”, but that’s really unimportant to note. Depending on the bowl size and the type of tobacco you chose, a pipe will last anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours.
How to care for your pipe
Pipes need to be cared for just like any other tool. Every couple of smokes, be sure to swab out the inside of the stem and bowl with a pipe cleaner. Don’t let too much carbon build up in the bowl either – you can scrape this away a bit. Every few years, sweeten your pipe by pouring some bourbon or something in to the bowl and letting it sit for a few hours. Dump out the liquor and scrub the inside with a pipe tool to remove carbon, then clean it up with a pipe cleaner. This general practice will keep your pipes good smelling and well smoking for years and decades to come.
Where to buy pipes and tobacco
The best online source, in my opinion, is smokingpipes.com. This is the best place to find all types of tobacco, and they have a great if somewhat expensive pipe selection. For tobacco, you can also check out your local tobacconist (if you’re lucky enough to have one) for your favorite blends, or they may even have propriety blends (the Tinder Box is good for this). Cigar retailers will often carry a little bit of pipe tobacco, so that’s fine as well. Gas stations and discount tobacco shops will carry only the worst brands of pipe tobacco – stay clear. For pipes, aside from online sources, one of the best places to find pipes is antique shops and garage sales. Everyone’s grandfather had a pipe collection, it seems, and while you’ll have to winnow the wheat from the chaff, there’s a lot of good vintage pipes to be found out there.
Above all, remember that pipe smoking is supposed to be enjoyable. If you’re unsure about something, if you’re stressed about if you’re smoking right, just relax. Make a pipe, sit down and think about it. Everything is probably going to be ok.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 14, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah Wiggles that's a fuckin' pipe primer. Thanks for doing the work! Now I need to finish the cigar post re-work and we're in business.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I stopped by the local B&M to pick up some sticks for Fathers Day, and grabbed a Padron 1926 Natural for myself to celebrate a random Sunday, haha. First stick I've had in about a month and it was wonderful.

Edit: Sweet pipe write up. Could use a shape chart.jpg, but otherwise :chefkiss:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 14, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking my second to last boli China RE.

12 years clean today so I figured it was a good day for the cigar. Just as good as the last one I had… 7 years ago? It’s been a while.

This was always my number 1 of all time so I’m curious to see how it holds up.

E: the mdo2 are better IMO. But this would be second best to date.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Congrats! Not a bad eat to celebrate.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a My Father La Antiguedad corona grande last night with the boys. loving excellent smoke, really perfumey and well-constructed. My buddy got a bit of nicotine hit and had to kill it a bit early, but I was chilling the whole time. Really good smoke.

:siren: BOX PASS CALL :siren:

Alright y'all, I wanna get one more box pass out before the really high summer temps hit. If you want to be in, send me a PM or post in this thread about it. If you need to give me your address, I recommend PM. I haven't built the initial box yet, but it will include:

My Father La Antiguedad corona grande
My Father La Opulencia toro
Rocky Patel Vintage 1979 robusto
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 perfecto
Padron Panatela
Padron Cortico
Some La Aurora Preferidos

Along with some other stuff probably idk. I'd really like to mail it by this weekend or early next week. Hit me up!

Also, if people liked the whole "add an extra stick or two to cover shipping" system I'm happy to do that again. Otherwise I can have people paypal or Venmo me for shipping.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

YOOOOOO!

I'm down for the extra stick or two for shipping. I gotta place an order for some good sticks before it hits.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Three Nuns is 15% off at smokingpipes.com if you're itching to smoke the same stuff (sort of) as C.S. Lewis.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would be in for this box pass, and am happy to leave more sticks than I find.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seventh Arrow posted:

Three Nuns is 15% off at smokingpipes.com if you're itching to smoke the same stuff (sort of) as C.S. Lewis.

The real tragedy is that I just ordered from there the other day and didn't get more Three Nuns because I thought I had a few more tins :negative:

I've got a mess of Boswell tobaccos coming in - Northwoods is hands down my favorite blend, and alternating between that and Three Nuns all day is just fabulous.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

:siren: BOX PASS CALL :siren:

Nexein and myself are in for a 2 for 1. You can just send it to one of us and we'll get together and attack it at the same time. Sounds fun!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Got a new pipe in today:

I got it because of its massive bowl size, I haven't found one I would actually smoke that'll fit a 9mm filter:

quote:

Chamber Depth: 1.41 in./35.81 mm.
Chamber Diameter: 0.90 in./22.86 mm.

It's a super dry smoke on this freshly opened Boswell Northwoods, which I'm loving! I swear I enjoy pipe smoking on its own merits, but it's nice to have one smoking like a cigar.

I was going to pull the trigger on some LAT56s on CA today, but I saw that a 10 x 5 of L'Atelier Travailleurs is going on tomorrow, so I'm saving my money for those instead since I love the poo poo out of them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's a really nice Savinelli. Such good smoking pipes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm gonna smoke it a couple more weeks before I decide, but I'm tempted to put in for a couple three more of this one because those bowls last night were perfect.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gramps posted:

Nexein and myself are in for a 2 for 1. You can just send it to one of us and we'll get together and attack it at the same time. Sounds fun!

Cool! Send me a PM with your address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Ophidian posted:

You can also just use some Tupperware with a gas seal and put that in the humidor :v:

I hosed around with that old humidor for 4 days, wiping it down with distilled water twice a day, put a Boveda pack and shot glass of distilled water, and I couldn't get it over 60%. Then I threw the pack and the sticks in some Tupperware and it's sat at 69% ever since. Hope to enjoy one this weekend.