Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Google Butt posted:

if i watched dbz and gundam wing on cartoon network as a literal child, what should i try watching now?

Well, asking that question will get a couple recommendations from everyone who likes anime regardless if your tastes:

Fullmetal Alchemist/ Brotherhood
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Personally, I'd also recommend Castlevania and One Punch Man. Every one has nothing but good things about ONE'S other good show Mob Psycho 100 so maybe check that out too. The new Digimon series on Hulu has been pretty great so far as well, but it doesn't have a dub yet if that's a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Google Butt posted:

if i watched dbz and gundam wing on cartoon network as a literal child, what should i try watching now?

what kind of shows do you like to watch outside of anime? if you're looking for something cool and actiony feeling like those shows, check out gurren lagann, megalo box, and definitely check out one punch man.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dragon Ball Super owns so watch that tbqh

But also:

ninjewtsu posted:

what kind of shows do you like to watch outside of anime?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't finished the season yet so I don't know if this is something they specifically are building to but every single place the main character goes to in Dragon's Dogma he leaves it or the people he encounters worse off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For anyone else wanting more Rilakkuma, there's a new stop-motion series announced called "Rilakkuma's Theme Park Adventure" :peanut:. I honestly thought any chance of more of this in any form would be dead, considering stop-motion and social-distancing don't really mix.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Never watched an anime before, but I started Naruto and it’s pretty decent. Filling the void petty nicely. I think I’m almost halfway through season 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For anyone else wanting more Rilakkuma, there's a new stop-motion series announced called "Rilakkuma's Theme Park Adventure" :peanut:. I honestly thought any chance of more of this in any form would be dead, considering stop-motion and social-distancing don't really mix.

That's awesome, my girlfriend absolutely loved the show and it seemed like it was dead.

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006
Blood of Zeus was f good poo poo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Went looking for this thread just to find someone to talk about Blood of Zeus with. It's another 'love letter to x genre' one but for the operatic melodramas of the 90's like Berserk and Escaflowne. If you want to see a bunch of cool monster design, limbs being chopped off, and someone screaming their rage to the heavens at least once an episode, check it out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Blood of Zeus. It's another 'love letter to x genre' one but for... Berserk

:stare:

ok I gotta see this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that Netflix is getting those Kishibe Rohan OVAs when they haven't put up the season he's from.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

:stare:

ok I gotta see this

It's not as dark, more drama than horror. Also it could have used some more monster-an-episode showdowns to draw some stuff out and let the plot breath more. You know that part in Berserk where they have to fight that one big demon in the castle and Guts manages to cut it's arm off, and it's like 'finally a worthy opponent, we'll fight again some other time." They really needed something like that to give you a good boss fight that doesn't impact the main story while also setting up some other players in this universe. A lesser giant or one of Gaia's other children that doesn't like the Olympians would be a good addition early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Minor pacing spoilers for BoZ: much like the longer seasons of Castlevania, it's pretty clear that they saved up their animation budget by limiting the action early on so that they could make the big final showdowns that much more spectacular, and hoooly poo poo does it pay off.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 5, 2020