Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Class3KillStorm posted:

The movie was originally made and released as Killbots, and the rename happened because audiences were confusing it for a kids' movie (somehow?) and Roger Corman thought a goofy horror pun would be an easier sell.

Ha, I knew about the rename (and glad because Chopping Mall is a great name regardless of how appropriate it is) but didn't know it was because of confusing it for a kids film. Kids would've loved it for sure though, it's got everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

3. The Loved Ones (2009)
Amazon Prime

This is an Australian film set in high school on the day of a "End of School" dance (basically Prom). When Lola asks Brent to go to the dance with her, he declines because he is already going with his girlfriend Holly. Lola doesn't take this so well and has her father kidnap Brent so they can throw a dance of their own...

I absolutely loved this! It is extremely violent and graphic, but director Sean Byrne injects just enough dark humor to keep the film from feeling sadistic. Not that it's a comedy - tonally I'd compare it to something like the 2013 Evil Dead remake or maybe Don't Breathe, where the quick pace and constantly evolving stakes keep it thrilling and fun despite the horrifying subject matter. Robin McLeavy is stellar (and hilarious) as the completely unhinged Lola, she's believable as both a spoiled teenager and an insane sadist. She's the highlight of the film, but the whole cast does a great job.

It's also just a really well made film in general. Great use of color and lighting, great music, and some nice cinematography that's better than you might expect from such a gruesome film. I'm really glad I finally got around to checking this out. I had a total blast with it, and if you can stomach the violence I can't recommend it enough.

4.5 prom queens out of 5

Total: 3
Watched: Peeping Tom | Cry of the Banshee | The Loved Ones

SIDE QUESTS:
Edgar Wright's Top 100 Horror: 88/100
Slant Top 100 Horror: 87/100
TSZDT Top 100: 97/100

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wow, HARSH score. Y'know, that's a pretty unusual rating system but I guess we all have our quirks :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like you can argue he's at his most evil in Frankenstein Created Woman, when you consider that he purposely tanks court testimony in order to get a guy executed, specifically for the purpose of trapping his soul, which causes the guy's girlfriend to kill herself out of despair. Frankenstein's response? Oh good, a fresh body!

I didn't really get that inclination.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like you can argue he's at his most evil in Frankenstein Created Woman, when you consider that he purposely tanks court testimony in order to get a guy executed, specifically for the purpose of trapping his soul, which causes the guy's girlfriend to kill herself out of despair. Frankenstein's response? Oh good, a fresh body!

I dunno, I think it's easy to argue that the out-of-nowhere rape scene in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is kind of the most despicable thing that he does over the course of the series, as it's one of the few things he does that's not borne out of either self-preservation or a single-minded pursuit of scientific inquiry. (Which is all still bad, mind you - the ends don't justify the means - but at least those kinds of actions are understandable in a way that rape is not.)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Chopping Mall and the Gobots movie had the same release date, the confusion was warranted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

#6) The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974)

I did enjoy the Manx drawl

Manx is the Isle of Man. :argh:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

25) The Haunted Strangler - 1958 - DVD

This is an interesting for it's time entry. Karloff is a Victorian era novelist and social reformer who takes interest in the case of the Haymarket Strangler. He's convinced the man who was hung at Newgate was innocent and had he been able to afford a proper legal defense, he wouldn't've been convicted. He plans to figure out who the true killer is to make an official argument that there should be good legal aid for everyone.

He does start uncovering his proof, but then the murders start up again.

Overall, this one's pretty tight. It does meander a little in parts but that's a minor nitpick. I still marvel that at the time Karloff was somewhere in his 70s when making this and he was still energetic enough for the amount of activity in the role. I'm just into my 50s and I wouldn't mind that sort of energy at all.

I do recommend this one for it's eventual twist.

26) The Hideous Sun Demon - 1959 - TubiTV

A pretty standard entry into the dangers of radiation subgenre where a scientist gets injured while experimenting with a new radioactive isotope. During his recovery, it turns out when he's in sunlight, he turns into a reptilian monster.

I didn't think much of it when I was a kid, but especially after having had to work graveyard shifts I can't wrap my mind around someone becoming so desolate about only going out at night. Even taking account not much would be open after a certain time and TV had an end of broadcast day, I'm still not quite seeing it.

The monster makeup's really distinctive and makes this movie worth a watch. The movie does tend to be wordy at times but overall, still a good B-movie for a marathon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Let's do some quick math. M_Sinistari has watched 26 films in three days. That's 8 per day. There are 32 days left of the challenge. At this pace, M_Sinistari will have watched 282 films by the end of October.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Let's do some quick math. M_Sinistari has watched 26 films in three days. That's 8 per day. There are 32 days left of the challenge. At this pace, M_Sinistari will have watched 282 films by the end of October.

God bless. I'm pulling for ya, M_S.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

#2) Tales from the Hood
1995, Dir. Rusty Cundieff

I was let down by this one. I love horror anthologies and am always looking to expose myself to more black horror. I can forgive some of the dodgy acting, but not how rote all four of the segments are. Each individual story goes in the most obvious direction, with not much to speak of in terms of laughs, scares or surprises. I did enjoy how socially conscious it was, but did anyone else feel like the fourth segment and end of the wrap-around bought into the bullshit argument of 'black-on-black violence is a bigger issue than anything else facing the black community right now'? I half-expected Bill Cosby to come on at the end and tell me to pull up my pants.

Ranking of the four segments (best to worst): 1>3>2>4

*.5 (out of *****)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Watching eight films a day I get, having the energy to write so intelligently about each of them is the part I don't get. It takes me as long to do write-ups as it does to watch the films, sometimes longer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jedit posted:

Manx is the Isle of Man. :argh:

You're right!! Mental typo. I meant to say "Mancunian".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

8. Frankenstein Must be Destroyed (1969)

The fifth of Hammer's Frankenstein , this one has a more evil Frankenstein , where through out he's just a evil guy. It's also notorious kind of for a just completely out of place sexual assault scene , that neither actor wanted to do. This is more Frankenstein the mad scientist. There's no more continuity in this with Frankenstein just Frankensteining although it does mention that he was run out of his previous abode. It's also well directed by Terrence Fisher which I believe this is his last Frankenstein movie that he directed. It has a little bit longer run time at a hour and 40 minutes, but its by no means dull. There's some brief sequences of mad scientist mad scientisting. This is really Frankenstein at his most immoral and evil. Anyway I really enjoyed it except for the one scene which I kind of just skipped over.

8/31

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

2. A Chinese Ghost Story
Watched On: Amazon Prime

This is one of those movies that I’ve always wanted to see, but never had access to up until now. It’s a wild blend of genres: simultaneously a Kung-fu movie, a monster movie, a melodrama and a romantic comedy. The ghost fighting scenes are the clear highlight and have the feel of early Sam Raimi, with first person woods chasing and a bunch of good practical effects. There’s a lot of Hong Kong comedy schtick peppered throughout the runtime, but some of the jokes are surprisingly funny.

If you’re going to watch it for anything, watch it for Swordsman Yin, the Taoist monk. He flies around on wires, blows motherfuckers up with his blood and gets a full drunken Kung fu rap song in the middle of the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Night Creatures is some primo Cushing, I'm watching it right now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

drat. This is on my list and I was planning on Tubi. How's the quality of the YouTube copy?
I was actually surprised by how good the YouTube upload quality was. Fairly crisp video and clear audio. First result for "Macabre 1958" when I searched it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

TheKingslayer posted:

9. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1977)

Based on a notorious unsolved series of murders another that's been on my radar but just never had the time until now. I really like the faux documentary style of the film but I'm also a bit struck by how silly this movie is considering the real life subject matter. A woman gets stabbed to death with a knife on a trombone slide and then some Andy Griffith show style poo poo happens in the scenes with the cops. I'm not sure if the cops are supposed to seem competent or like complete buffoons. That nitpick aside I enjoyed The Town That Dreaded Sundown a good bit.

I watched this for the first time sometime last month and had the same reaction. The scenes with the killer are tense and well done (besides the trombone schtick) and the voiceover was really atmospheric and cool, but then they crank up the banjo music and here comes goofy rear end Sparkplug! Such a weird choice.

dorium posted:

5. Leprechaun - Dir: Mark Jones - 1993 - HBOMax
According to HBO Max there's 7 of these things, so I guess I'm going to watch all of them.

I'm so sorry in advance that you're going to subject yourself to Leprechaun 4.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Watching eight films a day I get, having the energy to write so intelligently about each of them is the part I don't get. It takes me as long to do write-ups as it does to watch the films, sometimes longer.

Yeah it takes me forever, and I barely write anything! And my posts are bad! M_Sinistrari is truly a shining example for us all. I love reading this thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
2. Satanic Panic (2019) -
Some good effects and fun use of Satanism magic, but the rather dull script never sold me on the horror or comedy.

There's an interesting idea about wealth and the powerful selling out the younger generation (including their own kids) to maintain that power. The ending feels very abrupt and convenient.

My favorite scene is the skin sealing. More stuff like that would have really improved the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

3) Dressed to Kill (1980)

I had de Palma's giallo/slasher on my pile and having started with a movie starring Nancy Allen I thought I'd do another. Oof, big mistake. Dressed to Kill wants to be Psycho so badly that it hurts, but goes way too far in every respect. Psycho's shower scene is famous for what it doesn't show; the equivalent scene in de Palma's movie is "We've got a Penthouse Pet of the Year to be Angie Dickinson's body double, let's get our money's worth". And don't get me started on the killer, or the constant level of sexual harassment. It isn't that this movie didn't age well. It was always reprehensible - it just took a while to become obvious.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Never mind, I don't want to wait.

# 1 DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978, U.S. theatrical)

Apparently, the rights-holder flushed $6 million down the toilet with a 3D conversion of this movie - a bad gamble on a passing fad - and he is now folding his arms bitterly. That's partly why I never saw DotD before!

What I liked was just about everything. At first I was caught off guard by the comedy which is more akin to Creepshow than Night of the Living Dead, but the somewhat hopeful ending with the two most level-headed characters getting away helped justify it. The bleak, alternate ending AND the comedic parts would have made the movie too sadistic.

I dig the weirdness of the film - the movie isn't spelling out how to feel about the characters, the music doesn't quite fit at times, the final product comes together feeling independent and experimental. No neck-breathers on George A. Romero who I can almost hear laughing behind the camera at the grossness, the absurdity. One thing I just have to note: the opening shot with the red carpet was fantastic, and the disarray in the newsroom was horrifying.

Where DotD falls short: the color of the zombies and the blood. No longer obscured in B&W, the zombies, caked in what looks like gray clay, were unfortunately a step backward. The blood was too 1970s. While I am perfectly fine using my imagination to iron out these deficiencies in the special effects, I suspect this is an element that makes the movie appear dated to many casual viewers.

GRADE: A-

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
3)#ALIVE netfilx

This is a really solid little zombie flick. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Sort of reminded me a bit of Castaway on the Moon, if that was a zombie flick\ Two people connecting and surviving despite distance. I mean it doesn't reinvent the wheel, but even if you're tired of zombie flicks I'd check out this one. It's got heart.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

3/31haunt, the bridge curse,#alive

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

4. Bones (2001)
Dir: Ernest Dickerson

This film just loving goes for it, man. I love it! Early 2000s horror mixed with Gothic horror, German expressionism, blaxsploitation and Hellraiser. Dickerson clearly has a deep appreciation for the genre which shows itself pretty clearly. One of Bones' biggest strengths is that it's never really afraid to get silly (which it does on several occassions), so that stuff never really detracts from the experience. Gorgeous cinematography an practical effects.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 29, 2020

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Apologies for not posting earlier and for this being a bit of a dump post. I'm working all this week and have been squeezing what free time I have to watch time and typing poo poo on my breaks.

Anyways, here we go again with the horror challenge we all do every October. As I said before I plan on doing an even 50 movies this year (breaking my personal best of 45 from last year).

1. Alien (1979)

I really do love this film and am one of the few that likes it better than Aliens (both are iconic, don’t get me wrong). It’s just the raw horror of the film where it sets an amazing aesthetic through usage of claustrophobic sets, killer lighting and sci-fi tech that’s more beaten down than sleak. That final part is critical to the feel of the film where the science fiction technology and settings are like being in a decaying oil derrick. Everything feels rough, unrefined and about to break down at any moment and the candid “working class” characters sell it even just by their interactions alone.

This is a great film. One thing I appreciated about it is it really does have a sense of “what the gently caress IS THAT?!” that it shares with the audience. Everything rotates and revolves around this mystery of what the gently caress exactly this “xenomorph” is and every time I watch it I do so with that in mind. It’s difficult with the xenomorph being in pop culture and everyone knowing what it looks like. But, for me, I try to be like an audience member in 1979.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/4

2. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

This film has always had a polarized response over if it’s scary or annoying. For me, I saw this for the first time when I was ~13 years old and grew up camping a lot in the summer. I remember the sounds of the forest when you are trying to sleep in a tent. The imagination tends to wander if you are young enough and this film really freaked me out because it reminded me of those times.

It’s a spooky film and really goes with “less is more” in extreme ways. It famously never shows the “blair witch” instead the supernatural poo poo it does and lets the protagonists react to it. It all works so well and, yeah, it holds up well by being so simple. One personal opinion I will add is I miss found footage movies where people actually were “lost”, filmed everything guerrilla style and was all edited together on a shoestring budget. It’s something Hollywood found footage movies never got where everything is all scripted, professionally shot and choreographed. Blair Witch’s power is in how authentic it feels by telling its actors to literally get lost in the woods and we’ll do stuff just react and keep filming. It allows for perfect immersion that modern found footage never nail which is why people probably hate them today.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/4

3. Zombieland (2009)

I haven’t seen this one in a while and have the sequel in my iTunes library. I figure I’ll watch the original first because, like I said, it’s been a while.

It’s interesting how this movie was a launching point for so many careers looking back. Woody Harrellson was a big star in the 90s, then hit a lull then after this film he started getting major roles again. Emma Stone and Jesse Eisenberg shot up to stardom after this (well, not this film but it did get their names out there) and Abigail Breslin has been in a few films I recognized since then.

Anyways, this is still a solid horror-comedy with fun characters and a surprising amount of emotional depth (granted gets a little intentionally corny at times, but it still runs with it). It’s all a fun ride and I can’t wait to watch the sequel.

Bill Murray getting shot is literally one of the hardest laughs I got in the theatre in 2009

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/4

Total: 1. Alien (1979), 2. The Blair Witch Project (1999), 3. Zombieland (2009)

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 29, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

27) Curse of the Crimson Altar - 1968 - Dailymotion

I freely admit that I've wanted that horned hat Barbara Steele wears ever since I first saw a still from this movie, and I would find a way to be able to wear that hat every day for the rest of my life. Forget the Red Hat Society, I'll start the Horned Hat Society and we'll buy so much from the Spirit Halloween store that they decide to go year 'round stores.

Apparently this one is supposed to be an adaptation of Lovecraft's Dreams of the Witch House. Maybe it is if you're going by the most literal interpretation of the title and slap on some psychedelia since every Lovecraft style film had to have some.

To me, it's a standard secret cult in the UK film in Tigon Studios style. On that alone, it's a perfectly comfortable entry in any Hammer/Tigon/Amicus marathon. What bumps it up that skosh more as a watch this is it's one of the few Christopher Lee and Karloff films. This was also Karloff's last major studio film. After this it was the films in Mexico.

As far as I'm concerned, it's worth a watch.

28) Frankenstein's Bloody Terror - 1968 - DVD

I admit, there's a not zero chance that I've probably bought this movie multiple times under each of the titles its been released under over the years. Equally, I've never seen this one in its original 3D.

Despite the title, there's no Frankenstein. Instead we have Paul Naschy's first Waldemar Daninsky film and it's such a packed roller coaster, you don't miss the lack of Frankenstein. There's werewolves fighting humans, vampires fighting humans, werewolves fighting werewolves and werewolves fighting vampires. Prior to this film, Spain didn't have much of a presence in the genre. This film's success is what got the ball rolling.

I highly recommend giving this a watch along with the rest of Paul Naschy/Jacinto Molina's films and I'm not just saying that as a fangirl.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
M_Sinistrari, every year you amaze me with your commitment to this challenge. I have no idea how you do it. 28 films already? That's incredible and I'm not being sarcastic.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

M_Sinistrari, every year you amaze me with your commitment to this challenge. I have no idea how you do it. 28 films already? That's incredible and I'm not being sarcastic.

I love horror movies and I love talking about horror movies. I watch a ton of horror movies and shows throughout the year. It's just during the challenges that I'm able to combine it all and be open about it.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

1. Dave Made a Maze 4/5
I waffled on counting this as a horror, but there was some talk about it over in the horror thread and it does have a couple of genuinely creepy moments. Outside of those moments, it's a twee fantasy black comedy about a woman comes home to her boyfriend who has, as the title states, made a maze in their living room. It's entirely out of cardboard and much bigger on the inside than the out. I'll leave it at that, as it's a truly charming film worth going into mostly blind and enjoying the ride.

2. The Abominable Dr. Phibes 3.5/5
Rounding out as much of my Vincent Price backlog as I can and I've never actually seen this one, despite seeing the title around for decades. This movie is a beautiful, strange ride. Price as Anton Phibes plays organ in his art deco music hall while coming up with some of the most insane kill plots I've seen in a long time to take revenge on the doctors that he blames for the death of his wife. I do wish Price has more to do as far as performance went, but he manages to do a lot and have fun with it despite the limitations of the character.

3. The Devil Rides Out 4/5
Along with Price, I'm always up for fleshing out my Christopher Lee and Hammer Horror gaps in my film knowledge. I hate that I missed this one for so long - it was terrific. I love me some good occultism, satanic panic and good versus evil horror. Christopher Lee and Leon Greene team up to rescue their from suspected (who is suspect for about 9 seconds) cult leader Mocata, played by Charles Gray. Charles Gray is a menacing presence as Mocata and is a great foe for Christopher Lee's Duc de Richleau. Greene's Rex Van Ryn is a hilariously bumbling co-protagonist who manages to spend half of the movie falling asleep.

4. The Lost Boys (Rewatch) 3.5/5
Re-watched this because I found out that my wife had never seen it. My only new commentary after seeing for the first time in 12+ years is that Corey Feldman's fake gruff voice he's doing is still hilarious.

5. The Babysitter: Killer Queen 3/5
The Babysitter was one of my favorites from the 2017 Horror Marathon. I had a lot of fun with this one too, but it's certainly not as good. It hinges harder on cringe-worthy humor and a harder emphasis on the pseudo Scott Pilgrim visual stylings than the original, but when it did hit, it hit. There are genuinely funny moments sprinkled throughout, some decent gore, and it's just dumb enough to still be a good time.

6. Verotika 0.5/5
I knew what this was. I knew what I was doing. I wish I hadn't. Did you know that Glenn Danzig wrote and directed a horror anthology? I did. I watched it anyway. I haven't seen anything this inept and baffling in a long time, and I make a habit of watching bad films. Danzig has created a three story anthology with a wraparound....narrator, I guess, there's no wraparound story to speak off. The acting is abysmal across the board, the effects are hilariously terrible (and not in a fun way), and the stories for each segment range from incomprehensible to unmercifully dull. The movie is a bad attempt at trashy bad horror, but he never fully commits and leans into either. It's not funny bad enough to carry it, and he plasters the movie with excess sexuality and nudity, but less than your average grindhouse sex flick. There's no audience for this. And now he's apparently working on a spaghetti western. Great.

7. Antebellum 1/5
A sad attempt at a Jordan Peele styled horror film that tries to combine a message about racism with brutal horror without empathy, tact or even managing to touch on it's premise with any emotional depth. At best, it's tasteless and tired. At worst, it's dull and gratuitous with the nuance of a sledgehammer. Someone on Letterboxd described it as a "gratuitously cruel Shyamalan/Ari Aster ripoff aspiring to have Get Out's relevancy," and that is more accurate than anything I could say about it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Get used to it, this is what 80% of the film looks like.

5. 247F (2011)

The only reason to watch this is that it's the first horror film produced by native Georgians, other than that, it's eminently skippable. The performances, writing and direction hover somewhere around the SyFy-original level. It's not bad enough to be actively offensive or hilarious, it's just incredibly bland.

The plot follows two college-aged couples, who go on vacation to an isolated cabin during midsummer. Once there they strip to their underwear and relax in a sauna, a spooky sauna. Then they sit around in the sauna, and you guessed it, talk to each other like unfunny middleaged writers.

Then they eventually become trapped, and it becomes quickly obvious that neither the talent of the actors nor the writers was up to the challenge. A lot of the plot seems to be based around the premise of "Women are weak and panicky, thank goodness there's a man to take control".

I actually found myself drifting off to sleep at several points. It's not truly awful, it's just a whole bunch of uninspiring nothing. You know what it reminds me of? Lifepod, but with none of the cool sci-fi nonsense.

1.5/5

Total: 5
Queer Interest: 2
Countries visited: 5
USA, Hungary, Portugal, Vietnam, Georgia

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

I love horror movies and I love talking about horror movies. I watch a ton of horror movies and shows throughout the year. It's just during the challenges that I'm able to combine it all and be open about it.

Come back to Disssscoooooooorrrd

Actually everyone should come to discord

https://discord.gg/CBXXq4

Come to talk to use about horror movies :)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 30, 2020

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Friends Are Evil posted:

4. Bones (2001)
Dir: Ernest Dickerson

This film just loving goes for it, man. I love it! Early 2000s horror mixed with Gothic horror, German expressionism, blaxsploitation and Hellraiser. Dickerson clearly has a deep appreciation for the genre which shows itself pretty clearly. One of Bones' biggest strengths is that it's never really afraid to get silly (which it does on several occassions), so that stuff never really detracts from the experience. Gorgeous cinematography an practical effects.

Saw it opening night on my 18th birthday. Wasn’t a fan, but I was still a burgeoning horror nerd, so I should give it another shot

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Justin Godscock posted:

1. Alien (1979)

I really do love this film and am one of the few that likes it better than Aliens (both are iconic, don’t get me wrong).

Does the consensus really lean in favor of Aliens? I very much prefer the original over the sequel. Although admittedly, if I’m in the mood for Platoon in space, give me Aliens.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Personally I prefer Aliens because it is so wildly entertaining, but I know in my heart that Alien is the better movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it's a tough one because they're such wildly different movies and practically different genres

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Does the consensus really lean in favor of Aliens? I very much prefer the original over the sequel. Although admittedly, if I’m in the mood for Platoon in space, give me Aliens.

If it does, it's probably because action in general is really popular. They're both excellent movies and which I happen to watch will just depend what I'm in the mood for.

(5) The Phantom Carriage (Swedish/Silent) (1921)
Dir. Victor Sjöström

The last person to die in a year is given the job of Death’s coachman. When David Holm gets a glass bottle to the head he receives a visit from the current coachman, an old friend of his. He proceeds to Jacob Marley about what an rear end in a top hat David is. As a sign of how nothing ever changes, one of his faults is he coughs in people’s faces despite having TB. A really great movie even with it being a silent film.

(6) Dracula 2000 (2000)
Dir. Patrick Lussier

An extremely young Gerard Butler is Dracula in an extremely year 2000 movie. Van Helsing is using Dracula’s blood to keep himself alive until he can find a way to kill him for good. Unfortunately Dracula’s coffin is stolen by a gang of thieves that can’t stop bleeding all over it. This brings him back to life where he proceeds to take an interest in nu-metal and the local Virgin Megastore that Vitamin C is working at. This movie feels tied to the year so much, but I don’t think it harms it because it’s just not very good. Even with the twist about who Dracula actually is.

Totals:
(1) Tombs of the Blind Dead (Spanish) (1972) (2) Child’s Play 3 (1991) (3) The City of the Dead (1960) (4) Count Dracula’s Great Love (Spanish) (1973) (5) The Phantom Carriage (Swedish/Silent) (1921) (6) Dracula 2000 (2000)

Death: 1, Serial Killers: 1, Vampires: 2, Witches: 1, Zombies: 1

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dracula 2000 truly is one of the most exact time and place dated films around. Like the entire cast, soundtrack, and everything to Virgin Record Store is a whole lot of "Oh... I kinda remember that." Gerard Butler and I guess Johnny Lee Miller and maybe Omar Epps managed to escape it but if you told me everyone and every thing else in the film was just forever trapped in limbo of 2000 making this movie forever I'd be tempted to believe you.

It would also probably be a better horror movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

duz posted:

(5) The Phantom Carriage (Swedish/Silent) (1921)

A really great movie
:haw:

duz posted:

even with it being a silent film.
:smith:

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

#3) Martin
1977, Dir. George A. Romero

Slow but engaging. This is the perfect embodiment of the '70s film aesthetic. Romero makes his serial killing protagonist sympathetic somehow. I loved the ambiguity surrounding Martin's vampiric status. Is he crazy or is the grandfather? Probably both. I did not recognize Tom Savini at all without his normal facial hair.

****.5 (out of *****)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just one more day.

I kept myself distracted all day with baseball. I'll do it again tomorrow. Clean up and unpack the Halloween decorations. One day.

But I'm awake. Baseball is over. Too late to vacuum. I want to start...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

2. Verotika

What Several Goblins said. Three stories that are just incredibly dull. I didn't find the acting routinely terrible, but there are some hilarious attempts at accents. It has a Heavy Metal magazine aesthetic that I'd like to like, but it's not happening. Here, I'll save you 90 minutes:

Jack the Ripper but supernatural for the millionth time. The Only Skin Deep episode of Tales from the Crypt, but far worse. Countess Bathory for the billionth time.

1/5

3. The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

I opened up Tubi and resisted the urge to click on anything with "(Predatory animal) (Weather formation)" as the title. And anything with Tara Reid on the cover. After scrolling down for several minutes, I got the treasure trove of classics.

Everyone knows the story here, but I don't think I've seen this version before. Incredibly well paced and acted.

5/5

4. White Zombie (1932)

Lesser regarded Universal horror and deservedly so. Despite barely making it over the hour mark, it feels plodding. It's in that era of the transition from stage/silent, but it in particular feels much more artificial than the former film.

3/5

5. Witchcraft (1964)

Get off Lon Chaney's lawn. Mostly because of the 300 year old witch buried there.

Folk horror piece that's incredibly well acted, well paced, and well designed.

5/5