Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

And just to cement my shame: I picked a five-round drill to conserve ammo. I then proceeded to fail it over and over. I finally passed it three times after having burned through nearly three boxes of ammo. And then I discovered I had largely been wasting ammo trying to pass the test since I was using targets that were too small.

Silver lining is that I can pass the drill on a smaller target?

There you go!

Thankfully, my range actually had the correct target. Although, when I went there at first, I thought I'd have to get Blue Man Group and actually draw the target on. Or, tape a similarly sized target in the appropriate areas.

I can tell you what... the time limit really is the thing that makes it hard. I could almost bulls-eye this drill with my 686 shooting 38 spl wadcutters in single action it time weren't a factor. And I also went through a bunch of ammo on this... a surprisingly large amount of it being handloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I'll take this opportunity to suggest that if we're going to have monthly matches in TFR, it might be prudent to identify a small number of unique (but widely accessable) targets and try to limit match rules to those.

Also, considering how much variability there is from goon to goon on equipment, range, and time availability, 2-month long matches with different requirements could be neat. (Like: NOV01-DEC31 moose-fucker rifles at 100 yards, DEC01-JAN31 pistols held upside down at 10 yards, JAN01-FEB28 shooting musical greeting cards with shotguns while blindfolded, etc.) If you're able, you've still got a match per month to compete in, but it'd make multiple entries per match and actually making range time to participate easier.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I like the idea of have two-month overlapping shoots. I will write up the November-December shoot unless there are any objections.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The seventh angel poured forth his bowl into the air. A loud voice came forth out of the temple, from the throne, saying It. Is. Done.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

FWIW, if those targets are the ones I'm thinking of, they're significantly smaller than IDPA targets.

Yep as you can see from my Redhawk and the TOZ-35M these are far smaller targets.

infrared35 posted:

I just wanted to give props to this again. Thatís really not bad for a single shot with a reload. On the MDFI qual, youíre shooting a fist-sized target at five yards, and you have to draw-shoot-reload-shoot in less than six seconds.

Thank you not sure my left hand is thanking me but I cannot wait till the next match. I may be a bit late on that since my travel schedule went from covid lockdown to all-out chaos yay FEDRAMP compliance. I should be back by thanksgiving to give the next match a go.