Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

CountryMatters posted:

Maybe we could have a rule where CSPAM can keep their weird hyperbolic posting but it has to stay within CSPAM. You can post in there about how your toxic PMC girlboss mom is gaslighting you by buying the wrong kind of hot pockets, but outside the containment zone you have to post like a n*rmal person

iirc, g*rlboss will get you probated in regular DnD. don't let a "heated posting moment" ruin your day

Koos Group posted:

Never been a fan of helldumping, even back when I joined and it was quite a bit more common. By helldumping I mean bringing up an embarrassing incident from someone's past without any relevance to what's currently happening. It's better to make fun of people for things they're currently doing, and bring up their past when it has to do with the present, such as showing hypocrisy, or that they've been doing these things for a very long time.

something that took me time to internalize was that people making fun of you on the internet was just that, people making fun of you on the internet. Getting bent out of shape IRL because of a post isn't going to do you any good. If you feel the heart start to race because of an opinion about star trek, try to learn, love, and laugh your way back to a more healthy frame of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

crane fist if your opinions were better it'd be easier for you to have faith in them. good luck in therapy this week.

Telling the dumb guy to shut up gets a probation but posts like these are okay? What a joke lol

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

apropos to nothing posted:

its almost as if the forums function like something resembling a forum, where people go to various sub section of the forums to post about various different things but are all actually members of the same community and not in fact feuding tribes that must destroy one another in a highlander-esque battle for what topic gets to be the sole remaining point of discussion for everyone on the website

that can't be right, next thing people will be telling me this is a forum for jokes

EDIT: I mean I know it's a forum for jokes like, punching liberals "in Minecraft" and guillotines for landlords, or whatever is deemed funny in CSPAM, but not jokes like a banme posted by someone who's not actually banned and never really left

Tokyo Sexwale fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 7, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So for clarification, we are allowed to make fun of users who hilariously make posts about quitting somethingawful forums forever, returns while trying to act like nothing happen, and begin to then post aggressively to fit into back into their posting clique to prove that they are hard enough to post on somethingawful forums(TM)(R)?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I mean, it is a comedy website.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a Loving Dog posted:

Telling the dumb guy to shut up gets a probation but posts like these are okay? What a joke lol

mods are the cool type of nerd where being civil is infinitely more important than the actual content of your post

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bundy posted:

That the users are probated for anything more than 6 hours or at all is ridiculous still, given the context.

A pretty simple question for the staff: Why is it permissible to continue to label "fyad" as bigots or synonyms thereof, yet punishable to respond to said labels with such benign things as "hey remember this incredibly embarrassing and hilarious thing you did"?

Because the current chain of events even with the ban reversal still puts credence to the moronic posts that were claiming smarxist to be a "victim" of "harrassment" and being "followed around the forums" all of which are patently untrue. smarxist gets reminded of that embarrassing screed whenever they start acting like they're better than the people they're posting at and rightly so.

I think what it comes down to is that being accused of being a nazi or a stalker kinda requires a response more than "no I'm not" or ignoring the post. If I were to get a reputation on these forums for being either of those, it'd be hard to post at all. I know enough goons in real life that it would stand a very real possibility of becoming an irl problem. So if someone accuses me of being either of those things and I know my accuser has posted really dumb poo poo that calls their judgement into question, I'm gonna post it. Given this dynamic, it seems understandable to be on a bit of a hair trigger any time someone who's leveled those accusations mentions fyad.

If anyone is actually following a poster around and replying to posts about, idk, puppies with irrelevant posts from the past that can be dealt with on a case by case basis, but is still different from malicious helldumping when the issue is something this inherently charged rather than just a really embarrassing opinion about fanfiction or baking. Basically, context matters.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm a dumb piece of poo poo and nothing anyone could say to me on the internet is as mean as the things i say about me when i'm lying in bed at night

checkmate, fyad

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

i'm a dumb piece of poo poo and nothing anyone could say to me on the internet is as mean as the things i say about me when i'm lying in bed at night

checkmate, fyad

holy gently caress. this guys untouchable :worship:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
A Funny Thing Happened When I Posted poo poo In The Subforums

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

a Loving Dog posted:

:shrug: maybe if the dude was less openly hostile such a response wouldn't have been warranted.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

:shrug: maybe if the dude was less openly hostile such a response wouldn't have been warranted.

So you’re saying as long as we’re passive aggressive turds, we can insult you freely?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

tao of lmao posted:

So you’re saying as long as we’re passive aggressive turds, we can insult you freely?

you already do.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

BigFactory posted:

Me too. I just really love prog rock.
:same:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you already do.
I'll take that as a yes and suggest your next front page article apologizes to the prog rock community for your treatment of furries.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you already do.

How dare you

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

Koos Group posted:

Never been a fan of helldumping, even back when I joined and it was quite a bit more common. By helldumping I mean bringing up an embarrassing incident from someone's past without any relevance to what's currently happening. It's better to make fun of people for things they're currently doing, and bring up their past when it has to do with the present, such as showing hypocrisy, or that they've been doing these things for a very long time.

Agreed to a point, as I'm also not a huge fan but some of the stupid poo poo people write on this website means I can also see it merits.

Merits being that the person themselves isn't the one being attacked, it's the username they chose. Nobody's raking up IRL things, just reminding people of their stances on subjects being discussed at the time on a public forum that doesn't use their real life details.

Downsides are it can be a :regd08: which in Smarxist's case it can be well argued that it's becoming. Although there's nothing stopping them from re-regging a new account which wouldn't tie them to that post.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Barry White posted:

Downsides are it can be a :regd08: which in Smarxist's case it can be well argued that it's becoming. Although there's nothing stopping them from re-regging a new account which wouldn't tie them to that post.

Their massive ego is stopping them.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Heck, I'm a non-permabanned rereg. You might very well look at my post history and think, holy hell, what was so shameful about the previous account that this is better. All I can say is sometimes it feels good to shed your old online skin.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

Clawtopsy posted:

Their massive ego is stopping them.

In which case, that's on them. Not on any other posters or mods.. from what little I know about Smarxist I'm sure they could afford $10 if they were able to pay to start their own forum. If not then there's always kickstarter etc..

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Barry White posted:

In which case, that's on them. Not on any other posters or mods.. from what little I know about Smarxist I'm sure they could afford $10 if they were able to pay to start their own forum. If not then there's always kickstarter etc..

The thing is that no one in CSPAM actually cares about smarxist being 'harassed'. They just don't like being made fun of.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean someone whos alt is presumably named "smarx" does not strike me as being willing to shed that skin

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

a Loving Dog posted:

I missed that post, but you are right.

Edit - That it should be probed, I mean.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
actually if you check the qcs constitution you'll find that

Crane Fist posted:

If you post sufficiently embarrassing poo poo you become immune to probation

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

God, stop putting your foot down your throat and straight into your stomach for once

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
an apology to the auto-pedal-cannibalistic fetish community

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Perfect