Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Finally started Shadow and Bone and lmao the baddie literally has a twirly moustache. I've a feeling this is going to be one of those ones that I enjoy, but I'm never going to be sure if that enjoyment is ironic or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

brad davis or jay leno?

Jay Leno, vague memories of him being wrapped in that poo poo that got Lady Osbourne kicked off her show.

Or could have been some equally awful TV related imbroglio somewhere else, it all blurs together

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Jay Leno, vague memories of him being wrapped in that poo poo that got Lady Osbourne kicked off her show.

Or could have been some equally awful TV related imbroglio somewhere else, it all blurs together

Sharon Osbourne defended Piers Morgan saying something dumb about Meagan Markle and Prince Harry, like "What color is your baby going to be?" and got into an argument with a The View co-host over it that brought her to tears and might've ended a ten-year friendship, then the network "investigated" for like a month and decided to fire her

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 6, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Noted bastion of sanity, Sharon Osborne

Holy poo poo, do you guys remember that The Osbornes was an actual thing that existed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish I didn't.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

this is what i was talking about

The most recent incident occurred in 2019 when Leno served as a guest judge on NBC’s America’s Got Talent and made a racist joke regarding Koreans eating dog meat. While the joke was cut from the variety show’s broadcast, it was included in a report examining Gabrielle Union’s complaints that the show fostered a toxic workplace culture during production of season 14 (The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the joke was uttered). Union was dismissed after one season on the competition series alongside fellow freshman judge Julianne Hough.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jay-leno-apologizes-for-past-racist-asian-jokes-in-my-heart-i-knew-it-was-wrong-4155454/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah mainstream American comics have been making racist Asian jokes for decades and nobody cared. Chris Rock did one in the Oscars in 2016.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I think he shot himself in the foot by going to a new network and making the same show. Like, he could drop the baggage of Late Night but... kept the terrible monologues and stiff canned interviews? He mixed it up a bit with pre-taped segments, but overall it felt more tired than innovative.

The best stuff he ever did was just goofing around during the writers strike. It showed how great he can be at controlled chaos and improvising. Going back to a stale format when he had the chance to play to his strengths was a bad move.

Stuff like that was where he shined and its a shame he stuck with the talk show format for so long. His side content, like the office skits, and the world tour travelogues, became the most entertaining things he did by far. The rest was just a lot of standard late night fare you can see from anyone, he didn't really bring anything exciting to the table.

When he scaled down his show majorly in the last year or show, the leather jacket era, that seemed like more then anything a sign it was either gut his budget or get cancelled, and he's probably retiring now because he's tired of fighting the network for money.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

Finally started Shadow and Bone and lmao the baddie literally has a twirly moustache. I've a feeling this is going to be one of those ones that I enjoy, but I'm never going to be sure if that enjoyment is ironic or not.

I think it's mainly nostalgia for me? Like it's so very One of These that it reminds me of a bunch of trash fantasy novels I read when I was younger. Like I'm positive I read the heartbender lady and barbarian witch hunter dude's arc before almost exactly.

Also it really does look pretty and that goat was cute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok so Prime has a series called Underground Railroad but it's not related to the WGN series of the same name? (also remember when WGN tried to get into original programming lol)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah it’s based on an excellent book and is directed by Barry Jenkins. I can’t wait

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if there's any consolation to be had, nobody has been able to make you bet your life work since groucho -- buddy hackett and bill cosby only got one season, richard dawson's never made it past the pilot.

Shageletic posted:

The most recent incident occurred in 2019 when Leno served as a guest judge on NBC’s America’s Got Talent and made a racist joke regarding Koreans eating dog meat. While the joke was cut from the variety show’s broadcast, it was included in a report examining Gabrielle Union’s complaints that the show fostered a toxic workplace culture during production of season 14 (The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the joke was uttered). Union was dismissed after one season on the competition series alongside fellow freshman judge Julianne Hough.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jay-leno-apologizes-for-past-racist-asian-jokes-in-my-heart-i-knew-it-was-wrong-4155454/

oh yeah. the before-times. i have to say the idea of jay leno of all people putting out an I aM bEiNg CeNsOrEd FoR mY cOmEdY comedy special isn't something i had ever considered, but if that wouldn't be evidence that camus was right and existence is absurd i'd like to see a better example.

boomers would be just as loving stubborn enough to make it work that jay leno gets dredged along into the cultural cachet right into the very collapse of civilization as one last gently caress you from the dying lips of the remaining koch brother. alien archaeologists excavate some backwater planet in a distant arm of the galaxy and the conclusion they reach is that some dumpy loving denim-clad milquetoast dipshit car nut who was past his prime the first time he retired from tv was seen as some sort of demigod.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Ok so Prime has a series called Underground Railroad but it's not related to the WGN series of the same name? (also remember when WGN tried to get into original programming lol)

I'm guessing you never watched Manhattan, or Underground, or their version of Roots.

Their shows were pretty drat good, sadly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't WGN only in Chicago or something. I don't know anyone that even heard of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't WGN only in Chicago or something. I don't know anyone that even heard of it.

WGN's biggest show was Salem, which wasn't very big (or very good). It did have Lucy Lawless though -- first as a magic spewing witch, and eventually as a magic spewing puppet.

So yeah, not good. But fun.

The entire channel shuttered its original content after about four years, sadly. I think only Salem had any closure.

Real shame; they were doing an adaptation of Roadside Picnic with Tom Noonan and Mathew Goode, but it never got past pilot stage. It's still out there, somewhere, I think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WGN was supposed to be making a TV version of Roadside Picnic (the Russian novel that inspired the Stalker series) but nothing ever came of it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

WGN used to be a superstation that was carried by cable networks, just like TBS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Manhattan was great. I think I had WGN at the time on my mom's directv 1 billion channel package i was streaming from her house.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

oh yeah. the before-times. i have to say the idea of jay leno of all people putting out an I aM bEiNg CeNsOrEd FoR mY cOmEdY comedy special isn't something i had ever considered, but if that wouldn't be evidence that camus was right and existence is absurd i'd like to see a better example.

boomers would be just as loving stubborn enough to make it work that jay leno gets dredged along into the cultural cachet right into the very collapse of civilization as one last gently caress you from the dying lips of the remaining koch brother. alien archaeologists excavate some backwater planet in a distant arm of the galaxy and the conclusion they reach is that some dumpy loving denim-clad milquetoast dipshit car nut who was past his prime the first time he retired from tv was seen as some sort of demigod.

Republicans have tried to claim Leno for a while. It was a big talking point for Ted Cruz back when he ran for president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil6L3OqBKk

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

Republicans have tried to claim Leno for a while. It was a big talking point for Ted Cruz back when he ran for president.

you can't make me click that. however i'll take your word for it though; like cruz being the zodiac killer, it lines up exactly with what i've already concluded.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 7, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

Leno is a racist, sexist rear end in a top hat who was still making Monica Lewinski jokes in like 2012.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone hasn't been following the MST3K thread, the Kickstarter for season 13 ends tomorrow night and it is a couple hundred thousand dollars away from getting all 12 episodes funded. There have been a bunch of stretch goals added and met, including one that will get Joel back into the theater for at least one episode (most likely two with the way things are going.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

WGN as a broadcaster is based in Chicago.

WGN Superstation / WGN America was a cable channel that was available to something like 70 percent of U.S. households, and until 2014 carried a lot of Cubs games with its sister channel WGN-TV (the Chicago-based TV station). This is how the Cubs got so popular in the '80s and '90s, especially with Harry Caray calling games. Anyway, they had a run of maybe five or six years of pursuing original programming, I think?

It's all moot, anyway, since WGN America doesn't exist anymore, it converted to a conservative-leaning news channel called NewsNation a few months ago. :smith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm more surprised that Leno was not considered one of them all this time?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching The Mosquito Coast. I was pretty leery to start it, as a) it's written by Neil Cross, who isn't great, and b) the novel is about counterculturalists.

The series is pretty good (which is basically what I expected from Apple TV), though I'm wondering how it'll fair as an adaptation given that it's currently not even set in the same country.

I assume it's a Preacher situation, and the show's using its first season to establish a baseline that later seasons will disrupt. But the series has drawn a considerably long bow, trying to connect its FBI manhunt operations in Arizona (material newly invented for the show) to missionary work in Honduras (what the novel's actually about).

They've also aged up the kids and moved their roles around a bit, which I'm fine with, though this increased level of confidence and independence means they're going to have to get creative when adapting the later parts of the book.

Michael D Fuller worked on the show, and he was a big part of Quarry, Damnation and Rectify. So I'm more willing to give the show a chance, even if Cross makes me leery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cactus posted:

I just started it and this show looks expensive as hell. Makes His Dark Materials look like a PBS show. Every single actor is too pretty. You'd think with the entire British cast they'd find some uggos for some roles.

Heartrender
Squaller
Tracker
Pekka
kruge
grisha

What the gently caress are these things.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 7, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I just started it and this show looks expensive as hell. Makes His Dark Materials look like a PBS show. Every single actor is too pretty. You'd think with the entire British cast they'd find some uggos for some roles.

Heartrender
Squaller
Tracker
Pekka
kruge
grisha

Heartrenders seem to be like blood manipulators
Squallers are the wind mages
Tracker is a person what tracks things
Pekka is someone's first name
Kruge is the name of the currency
Grisha are the magic (sorry, science) users. A heartrender is a type of grisha.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think they introduce too much new vocab in the first 10 minutes. Though I appreciate that they don't have those awkward expositional dialogue about what these things are.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think they introduce too much new vocab in the first 10 minutes. Though I appreciate that they don't have those awkward expositional dialogue about what these things are.

Yeah, I really liked how the show mostly avoided "as you know" dialogue to explain things. You eventually figure out what all those terms mean because people keep using them in conversations. It's nice for a YA show to give the viewer some credit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Yeah, I really liked how the show mostly avoided "as you know" dialogue to explain things. You eventually figure out what all those terms mean because people keep using them in conversations. It's nice for a YA show to give the viewer some credit.

Yeah. It's the only thing I thought was stand out about the show.

Well, that and casting Zoe Wannamaker and wasting her.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Starting to think this show needs its own thread!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Heartrender
Squaller
Tracker
Pekka
kruge
grisha

Bloodbender
Airbender
Literally exactly what it says
Wasnt that the rival mob boss?
Money
Benders

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When it comes to sci-fi and fantasy I never bother learning names or words and it generally works out okay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to try on a different TV tonight just in case it's a weird glitch on my bedroom set, but holy crap is the stream they feed for That drat Michael Che on HBO Max utter garbage. So much digital noise for reasons I don't understand. It should not be hard to make a sketch show not look like complete poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1390688413167329291?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love Jean Smart, this looks like it might be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE51pzVpwBg

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Solid concept, looks fun. Like a less self-indulgent Funny People.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Heard really positive things about Hacks already

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just now got the joke behind the name the Android's Dungeon. I am 32 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Girls5eva is funny as poo poo