Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Did anyone watch the new episodes of Evil? Spoilers for episode 7.

I thought it was unbelievably dumb that Kristen spoke in episode 7. After everything that's happened in the series, was it really necessary to gently caress with the monks and their ancient vow of silence for some idiot mockery with a bit of statuary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, I fall in that age bracket but never saw Rocketeer (came out the same year as Terminator 2 and that essentially rewired what movies I wanted to watch, ask how I've still not seen pretty much any of the big 90s Disney movies). Big fan of Connelly though, and will always heartily recommend everyone watches Phenomena because of her and that ending.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat, I fall in that age bracket but never saw Rocketeer (came out the same year as Terminator 2 and that essentially rewired what movies I wanted to watch, ask how I've still not seen pretty much any of the big 90s Disney movies). Big fan of Connelly though, and will always heartily recommend everyone watches Phenomena because of her and that ending.

:hmmyes:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

I thought it was unbelievably dumb that Kristen spoke in episode 7. After everything that's happened in the series, was it really necessary to gently caress with the monks and their ancient vow of silence for some idiot mockery with a bit of statuary?

Yeah, she a idiot for that one

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

43, and I concur. Between The Rocketeer, Career Opportunities, and Dark City a few years later (where she is arguably even MORE beautiful), she was one of my two '90s celebrity crushes. And she's still glorious on Snowpiercer today, even when she isn't all glammed up.
Agreed, especially on the Snowpiercer part. Sometimes I like to think she would've been the best Trinity for The Matrix.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tosk posted:

She's pushing back against it all -- the ingrained sexism and racism, and the stupid poo poo that she doesn't believe in but is still loving with her head. Plus she's literally just gotten away with murder so she probably felt pretty invincible.

Sidebar: I wasn't the only one getting strong sapphic vibes during the episode, yeah?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Enjoying Only Murders In The Building. It's not going to set your world on fire, but it's super charming and likeable with some fine performances.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The art deco poster for The Rocketeer was so awesome that when I saw the actual movie it was a huge bland disappointment. Even the animated nazi propaganda film within the movie was way more interesting. The only memorable things about The Rocketeer was the posters and Jennifer Connoly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Enjoying Only Murders In The Building. It's not going to set your world on fire, but it's super charming and likeable with some fine performances.

I ignored it so many times before I found out that Steve Martin and Martin Short were in it. The true crime podcast premise made my brain slide off when I would see it in the Hulu listing but having them in it got my attention and now that I’ve watched it, I really like it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Slice of Life montage from The Americans is the best montage ever broadcasted

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I started watching The Good Fight and made it into season 2. S1 was good and all but definitely ‘a spin-off of a different lawyer show’ (Alicia gets mentioned frequently, and it’s obvious a lot of the funnier guest lawyers or judges are from the previous show and they’re expecting viewers to already be familiar with their quirks etc), I am excited to get into the ridiculous angry lib nonsense.

On the Rose Leslie debate, I don’t think she’s that good in it. Also I watch this show the same way Boyle from B99 watches The Godfather except instead of Diane Keaton I remember each character by their relationship to Cush Jumbo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maia is just a bad character on the show, Marissa on the other hand is the best.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I suggest you let that marinate. :v:

That’s a Texas size 10-4!
Reserve Dogs first ep was just ok but every one since has me loving it. Last weeks made me die laughing so hard as well as slightly paranoid they were following some of my family. Also didn’t even think Oklahoma would have legal weed. Loved the soundtrack with Sleep and Om. This weeks was just kinda surreal in a Good Fargo season way. Hoping this show stays this strong and keeps on with the great soundtrack.

To the goon asking about Motherland: Fort Salem - first season intrigued me and ended decently (nothing mind blowing) but the second season I really enjoyed. Interesting world and I like the setup for the big conflict coming. I’d put the second season above CW fare but the first season is still good and provides the setup. Hoping it gets a third.

Debris chat: just don’t. Good atmosphere but it plods along till right at the loving end when you get a really good hook for a second season that will never be. Really liked the synth score with its almost retro futuristic quality. Felt different than most of what I heard on US tv lately and gave the bleak scenery some more weight. If you have to start watching try and make it to the time travel episodes as those were actually fun and decently done. Felt like they wanted a slow burn show and bet too hard on that second season. It might have gotten good but… that cameo in the end was such a cruel tease.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the synth work on Debris really reminded me of Mark Snow's incidental score for The X-Files, in a good way. It didn't have the sad plinky plinky piano refrains though, sadface.

DogsInSpace! posted:

To the goon asking about Motherland: Fort Salem - first season intrigued me and ended decently (nothing mind blowing) but the second season I really enjoyed. Interesting world and I like the setup for the big conflict coming. I’d put the second season above CW fare but the first season is still good and provides the setup. Hoping it gets a third.

Yeah, it's been renewed for a final "season 3", though going from episode titles it seems like they're just rebranded the back half of the second season as a separate third season. We'll see.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so im watching the good fight

and im not american

and this is probably going to sound racist but its really just curiosity...

virtually all media that comes out of America has a plotline where an organization gets done for not having "diversity"

so I am really just interested if IRL there are "black" law firms.

hypothetically I would think they would have to work a lot harder than old white guys have to work to make their firm mostly white and "get away with it" (because I would presume a black law firm would be under a lot of scrutiny from well... cunts) and how aren't they constantly being nuiscanced by mischievous diversity stuff from "that" side ?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That poster will be just as cool 50 years from now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The art deco poster for The Rocketeer was so awesome that when I saw the actual movie it was a huge bland disappointment.

BOOOOOOO

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Qmass posted:

so im watching the good fight

and im not american

and this is probably going to sound racist but its really just curiosity...

virtually all media that comes out of America has a plotline where an organization gets done for not having "diversity"

hypothetically I would think they would have to work a lot harder than old white guys have to work to make their firm mostly white and "get away with it" (because I would presume a black law firm would be under a lot of scrutiny from well... cunts) and how aren't they constantly being nuiscanced by mischievous diversity stuff from "that" side ?

Yes, black-owned businesses as a response to racism are very much a staple of American society.

And the old whites actually love when people self-segregate because it makes it much easier to destroy all of their stuff without damaging property they actually care about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

But in a nutshell, yes. People who are excluded from the job market by the ~old boys clubs~ tend to start their own thing, which is perfectly fine with the old whites until they start doing a better job at which point things get gross, as you see in the wiki article...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I really wish we would have got a third season of Patriot. For those who haven't checked it out yet, there is a great scene on how to fight a dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjMstR7wbU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the most impressive thing about patriot is the ro sham bo scene.. they did that for real dude

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1429866239329984519?s=20

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because what the world needs now are witches. fascist witches

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I really like Steve Martin, but I don't like Martin Short in most things. Thankfully, even as an eccentric theatre manager/playwright/whatever he is, he's very grounded, and his wacky SNL persona isn't there. I know nothing about Selena Gomez but she's good here. Yeah, it's charming but not amazing.

Tosk posted:

She's pushing back against it all -- the ingrained sexism and racism, and the stupid poo poo that she doesn't believe in but is still loving with her head. Plus she's literally just gotten away with murder so she probably felt pretty invincible.

Sidebar: I wasn't the only one getting strong sapphic vibes during the episode, yeah?

The monks were super inviting towards people who they don't know 100%. Even on Official Church Business, someone who hasn't been training their entire life can't be trusted not to momentarily forget themselves. Definitely appreciated the standalone Monster of the Week episode after the hiatus, but now I'm definitely hooked and wanting more. I described this show to my friend as "just as good as you remember The X-Files being, but with demons instead of aliens".

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

because what the world needs now are witches. fascist witches

That's actually brought up some in late season 1 and season 2 as well as probably a focus of season 3

To try and make a super vague non spoilery summary (nothing you won't find out in the first episode): When America decided to revolt against the big mean and superior Brits they needed a big gun. In this world that was the formerly hated Witches. Due to their service in the American rebellion as well as throughout the history of America they are the big gun branch of the military. Headed by the literal (possibly immortal?) Witch that offered the founding fathers of America her kind's magic the Witches at Fort Salem protect American from enemies foreign and domestic. Any girl (and rarely boy) with magical potential is recruited at an early age and offered the chance to serve. Our three protagonists are a trio of young everyday American women finding themselves recruited and learning about the joys and burdens of a life of service. One big happy family. SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP!

more spoilery
They don't parody it quite as deeply as that line stolen from Starship Troopers implies but they do address those concerns; especially in season 2. I wish they'd go more into the history of what actually happened but they do address that things weren't quite as cut and dry as the official propaganda makes it. You've got the official Branch of the Witches whose founder did some hosed up things, witches who hide out to not get recruited, a terrorist organization that comes about due to both the Military and the civilian Governments want to toss them in the grinder as well as the men who kinda wish that witches would just go back to the kitchen. That last group uses "family values" and "not my daughter" sentiments to try and sway the populace so they can go back to holding power. It really has some good themes to it, even if I wish it went a bit further at times.

There has been an overall mantra of "all the ways of the previous generation suck so maybe we should learn from their mistakes and create something new and hopefully better" which I appreciate. Not a perfect show but more engaging that I figured it would be when I decided to check it out. First half of season 1 does feel very CW though... but more like early the 100 and not Riverdale post season 2.

Yeah, the synth work on Debris really reminded me of Mark Snow's incidental score for The X-Files, in a good way. It didn't have the sad plinky plinky piano refrains though, sadface.

Agreed. I felt like the lovechild of X-Files and Fringe but still retained its own bleak signature. Hope it shows up in another show.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 1, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

plus its a horny show and that counts for something

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

The monks were super inviting towards people who they don't know 100%. Even on Official Church Business, someone who hasn't been training their entire life can't be trusted not to momentarily forget themselves. Definitely appreciated the standalone Monster of the Week episode after the hiatus, but now I'm definitely hooked and wanting more. I described this show to my friend as "just as good as you remember The X-Files being, but with demons instead of aliens".

I thought they were pretty good about the dudes, but Kristen was consistently pushed out, goggled at, watched, etc. You can see why she'd rebel when the monks put her in a room where even the statuary is watching her. ~*metaphors

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

LifeLynx posted:

I mean, that would make sense to me if her character were a teenager and not a respected and well-trained psychologist consistently characterized as acting very professional under most circumstances.

I really enjoy the series though, I hope it runs for at least a few more seasons

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tosk posted:

I mean, that would make sense to me if her character were a teenager and not a respected and well-trained psychologist consistently characterized as acting very professional under most circumstances.

I think that's really gone out the window at this point -- the bit where she gets drunk and starts mucking about in the wine barrels? She's breaking bad.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

I'm not American either, but yeah there is. The second lead in Insecure works at one of these for a time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Trailer for Taylor Sheridan's new show dropped yesterday.

Mayor of Kingstown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhmIVF2dTbI

Directed by Antoine Fuquar starring Jeremy Renner and Kyle Chandler

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

... Looking forward to a third drama about an ailing community called ... Mire of Jonestown?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

Trailer for Taylor Sheridan's new show dropped yesterday.

Mayor of Kingstown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhmIVF2dTbI

Directed by Antoine Fuquar starring Jeremy Renner and Kyle Chandler

Taylor Sheridan doing something that doesn't include an Indian reservation or isn't out west is like Shane Black doing a movie that takes place during Easter. The last Sheridan and Renner collaboration, Wind River, was 100% my jam, but Yellowstone, while my favorite guilty please show right now, is not that good. Still the cast looks good and trailer has my interest. I already have Paramount+ for Desus & Mero and Yellowstone is coming back too, so I will be watching.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Taylor Sheridan doing something that doesn't include an Indian reservation or isn't out west is like Shane Black doing a movie that takes place during Easter. The last Sheridan and Renner collaboration, Wind River, was 100% my jam, but Yellowstone, while my favorite guilty please show right now, is not that good. Still the cast looks good and trailer has my interest. I already have Paramount+ for Desus & Mero and Yellowstone is coming back too, so I will be watching.

Watch Evil aaysyayayayayaehrhf it's good.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Desus and Mero is on Paramount+?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gaunab posted:

Desus and Mero is on Paramount+?

Showtime comes with Paramount+ (at least on AppleTV).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nate fisher posted:

Showtime comes with Paramount+ (at least on AppleTV).

That bundle was discontinued.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nate fisher posted:

Why you flanking me?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mainly watched Scrubs in PAL-land and I noticed it sounding particularly fast when I watched the clip, so syndication nonsense is my guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/tbs-speeds-up-seinfeld/amp/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yes, black-owned businesses as a response to racism are very much a staple of American society.

And the old whites actually love when people self-segregate because it makes it much easier to destroy all of their stuff without damaging property they actually care about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

But in a nutshell, yes. People who are excluded from the job market by the ~old boys clubs~ tend to start their own thing, which is perfectly fine with the old whites until they start doing a better job at which point things get gross, as you see in the wiki article...

Thats true to an extent but law is built on prestige and connections and even if you joined a black club in law school, the only way to really get a good job is to subsume yourself in an established, white shoes, almost entirely white managerial firm.

E: even if you branch out and go in house or work in a boutique place, the percentage doesnt really change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Feels weird a show about the prison system is only starring white guys. I mean hopefully tgats the point?