Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TV Zombie posted:

How?

I hope everyone laughed at them for this.

Sharing is communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

How?

I hope everyone laughed at them for this.

Would YOU want an unstable Vietnam veteran mentoring your children?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Because I want them to get picked up by another network for a 2nd season:

Everybody watch Jett. Then tell everyone you know who likes excellent crime/heist shows to also watch Jett. Then everyone they know will tell... etc.

Everybody watch Jett.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is anyone watching the Golden Globes? Looks like they’re copying the Emmy model.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone watching the Golden Globes? Looks like they’re copying the Emmy model.

First winner's mic was off. It's going well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I watched the first episode of Superman and Lois and it seems to be legit good? Not even "Good for the CW" but actually good?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Golden Globes are bought and sold, so the only reason to watch the show is seeing everyone getting progressively more hammered at the open bar. I can't imagine how boring a virtual GG ceremony is.

Croatoan posted:

I watched the first episode of Superman and Lois and it seems to be legit good? Not even "Good for the CW" but actually good?

I was very, very pleasantly surprised by the pilot but I'm kind of expecting it to revert to the standard Arrowverse budget look and feel sooner rather than later.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Getting hammered at home has also been quite popular lately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Award shows are useful if they can boost a lesser known quality show. I remember I only started watching Breaking Bad when Bryan Cranston won his first golden globe out of nowhere.

edit: it was an Emmy in 2008

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
What I've learned tonight is that I haven't seen or even heard of most of these movies.

Saul :lol: Good job Tracy.

https://twitter.com/ashleyksmalls/status/1366213464054788100?s=21

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 1, 2021

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The Golden Globes are bought and sold

I would love to see literally any evidence for this.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Idk, maybe you're right and they just love poo poo movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm sure Emily In Paris got nominated because it's a good show and not because of the paid vacation the members of the HFPA got.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the integrity of award shows

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

sticklefifer posted:

I think the only "problem" I have with Watchmen is that it's really hard to recommend to someone who hasn't read the source material. It does its own thing, but large swaths of it just wouldn't make sense otherwise. They'd either have to invest the time to read 12 issues of a 1986 comic book series, or watch a just-OK movie adaptation with a really truncated version of events and a different ending. A catch-up special or "episode zero" airing before the show would've been a good idea. I even had to look up a refresher because it had been years since I'd read it.

You sound like my friend who won't watch Doctor Who because he would "have to" start at the beginning and watch every episode starting with the 1950s or whatever... :rolleye:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Does he play video games? Did he have to start with the original Mario or Final Fantasy too?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda heartbreaking to see Laurence Fishburne narrating ufo programs on the history channel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda heartbreaking to see Laurence Fishburne narrating ufo programs on the history channel.

Let a man buy a boat.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

maybe its charlie brooker

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There was a massive article in one of the bigger entertainment magazines maybe, oh, fifteen years or so ago that did an exhaustive deep dive into what a joke the "Hollywood Foreign Press Association" is. It's a group of 90-some people, largely French, none of whom are Black, and they make no bones about nominations largely being determined by which studios send the biggest gift baskets and throw the best parties, essentially. They've been so blatant about it in the past that NBC refused to air the awards for a good long time, even.

At its core, the HFPA is a bunch of groupies.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm sure all awards are buyable. It's just cheaper to target those 90 people, versus the 10,000 voters in the Academy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know the specifics about what it means but Harvey Weinstein was known for spending a fortune on "Oscar campaigning". Could be thousands of free lobster dinners and open bars with private film screenings.

e: nuke pedo island

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably a free trip to Pedo Island.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Probably a free trip to Pedo Island.

Please do not besmirch the good name of press junkets aboard the Lolita Express. It was clearly named out of a deep love and respect for Kubrick's film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, Debris, the new show from Fringe showrunner JH Wyman, is starting tonight on NBC.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Head's up, Debris, the new show from Fringe showrunner JH Wyman, is starting tonight on NBC.

drat thanks! I hadn't heard of this but Fringe + interesting sounding premise has me on board immediately

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Man I've heard absolutely nothing about this show. Zero talk plus a genre show. Probably good but not long term prospects.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Having just played through Control I guess I could have a little more federal agents digging into mysterious possessed objects

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Man I've heard absolutely nothing about this show. Zero talk plus a genre show. Probably good but not long term prospects.

I've heard about it, but I have no interest in a genre show on network tv.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But Fringe

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

But Fringe

N
B
C

If the thing was taking any risks at all, it would be on Peacock. For a scifi show to land on network tv, especially in a media conglomerate that has an actual scifi channel, means it's a police procedural with some science fiction set dressing.

Not falling for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is Comedy Central's Upright Citizen's Brigade on streaming anywhere? Such an amazing show chock full of talent that never gets talked about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1j1YoXltA

Timby posted:

There was a massive article in one of the bigger entertainment magazines maybe, oh, fifteen years or so ago that did an exhaustive deep dive into what a joke the "Hollywood Foreign Press Association" is. It's a group of 90-some people, largely French, none of whom are Black, and they make no bones about nominations largely being determined by which studios send the biggest gift baskets and throw the best parties, essentially. They've been so blatant about it in the past that NBC refused to air the awards for a good long time, even.

At its core, the HFPA is a bunch of groupies.

Yeah, it's been known. I remember the Drew Carey show even had a joke in the episode where the show keeps trying to win an Emmy and failing, where Drew gives up and goes to buy a bunch of Golden Globes. That was like 20 years ago.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

N
B
C

If the thing was taking any risks at all, it would be on Peacock. For a scifi show to land on network tv, especially in a media conglomerate that has an actual scifi channel, means it's a police procedural with some science fiction set dressing.

Not falling for it.

I mean, that was literally Fringe.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Is Comedy Central's Upright Citizen's Brigade on streaming anywhere? Such an amazing show chock full of talent that never gets talked about.

I wanna say it used to be on hulu. I know I rewatched it all at some point and it still held up

Now let's talk about putting The State somewhere drat it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Any thoughts on Debris?

It didn't really grab me and I kept getting bored and distracted. I'm trying to decide if I was just in an off mood and should give it a rewatch later, since new Fringe has been on my wishlist for awhile.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was alright. Not the most interesting starting story but the premise is pretty cool and it could get good. I'll give it a chance, not really watching much tv these days anyway.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Let's see how Discovery+ exclusives are doing:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RobertIrvine/status/1366436301814321153

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Disney Plus
Apple TV Plus
Paramount Plus
Discovery Plus
Me Nonplussed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Disney Plus
Apple TV Plus
Paramount Plus
Discovery Plus
Me Nonplussed

the last 5-10 years of tech have been like them trying to speed run all the mistakes and gently caress-ups of the past ~80 years of traditional media.

30 years of cable packages and cost bloat all getting compressed down into a few years of every network trying to make its own streaming service and expecting people to be willing to pay $12 for 15 different apps.