Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It seems like a mix of really good actors playing absolutely horrific people, and I'm morbidly interested in how the gently caress they intend to make that premise work. There's "You don't have to like your protagonists to have a good story", and then there is a level beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jacksonchan posted:

The first 3 seasons of Gomorrah are on HBO Max. It's really great and stays strong through all 3 seasons.

Cool thanks.

Still doing my Scrubs rewatch and now on season 2 and I dunno if its nostalgia or its potent mix if comedy, drama and realosm but it is a highlight of my day. Just the easiest thing to watch around.

Also in my rewatch I am convinced that Elliot is the funniest person on this show. No overacting, biting the scenery, over whimsical acting. She's a mess, and a very funny one. The actress just inhabited this character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Get out while you still can.

Haha, that bad?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Haha, that bad?

It gets pretty loving bad.

Which if you're into that thing, then yeah, it's a loving trip. And the acting remains strong throughout, with some ace character actors turning up in very small roles. But it's loving bonkers.

Also the show fully capitalises on the fact that Lily Rabe and Hamish Linklater are married IRL, since it means it gets to push those characters to some really uncomfortable places.

Which is all I'm gonna say, since the twists -- which are insanely frequent, and frequently insane -- are a ride for anyone who wants to get on board.

But it's still bad.

Mulva posted:

It seems like a mix of really good actors playing absolutely horrific people, and I'm morbidly interested in how the gently caress they intend to make that premise work. There's "You don't have to like your protagonists to have a good story", and then there is a level beyond.

I appreciate the choice to make every single character some stripe of murderous insane person who's barely holding on to sanity, which -- combined with the aforementioned acting -- makes the show very, very watchable. But, like, you can see why everyone passed on the show despite a) the cast and b) the fact that the entire first season had already been filmed.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Any good true crime recommendations anybody?

Off the top of my head I've watched:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Mindhunter (ok only kind of true crime)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been watching the John Wayne Gacy doc on Peacock and :stonk:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

Don't gently caress With Cats
The Serpent (dramatised)
Operation Varsity Blues

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i refuse to watch don't gently caress with cats because i love cats and presumably it's about people hurting them :smith:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

Murder at Middle Beach is good. Differentiates itself by the fact it's made by the son of the murder victim.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aardvark! posted:

i refuse to watch don't gently caress with cats because i love cats and presumably it's about people hurting them :smith:

It is and it’s also not particularly good, so you’re not missing out much.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
For youtube TC stuff That Chapter is really great

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The OG true crime doc The Thin Blue Line is famous for a reason. Watch it.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I need some feel good Masterpiece rec’s

My wife just had surgery and we’ve been on a steady diet of Downton Abbey and All Creatures Great and Small. My father in law is a big Poldark-head but haven’t started that one yet

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
First episode of THEM is drat good. Extremely drat good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sumo posted:

My wife just had surgery and we’ve been on a steady diet of Downton Abbey and All Creatures Great and Small. My father in law is a big Poldark-head but haven’t started that one yet

I binged the 2020 All Creatures show and it reminded me a lot of Doc Martin. Both jobs really are about dealing with quirky smalltown folks in impossibly beautiful English towns.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 10, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

The Legend of Cocaine Island
Tread
White Boy

All on Netflix

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Shageletic posted:

The OG true crime doc The Thin Blue Line is famous for a reason. Watch it.

Just watched it, thanks. Super good, also super enraging

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Simone Magus posted:

First episode of THEM is drat good. Extremely drat good.

Seriously, feels like an even better Lovecraft Country. I'm 30 minutes in and this poo poo has me on board for the whole season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

Might depend on your definition of "crime" but the Netflix documentary on the Challenger shuttle was pretty good. The WeWork one on Hulu was fine enough for a watch even though I think they could have gone a bit deeper. Also I still recommend Q: Into the Storm on HBO. Actually, I'd also recommend the HBO Heaven's Gate documentary, though I think the podcast on it a few years ago was better.

In terms of absolutely not crime related, but Netflix has a new documentary on Blockbuster and Prime has a new documentary on Netflix which make for a good pairing. I also just watched the Prime documentary on Galaxy Quest which was fun.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sumo posted:

I, Claudius
Upstairs, Downstairs (original)
Duchess of Duke Street
Brideshead Revisited (miniseries)

Danger UXB is also excellent, but not exactly feel-good.

Not Masterpiece and not a drama, but if you want a 30-minute comedy featuring Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as a committed couple sniping at one another, Vicious.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

Mastermind on netflix

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Toast of London (Netflix)

Not true crime, but I automatically recommend it to everyone anyway.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Wait how is I, Claudius feel-good? It's one of the best tv things ever done but goddamn is it depressing.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

This is a Robbery just dropped on Netflix, a four part series about the Gardner Museum art heist.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

swickles posted:

Just watch all the DS9 episodes with Garak if you are trying to shortcut the series.

Oh I'm not trying to cut out any of these episodes, I'm gonna watch each and every one of these motherfuckers over the next 4 to 6 months or so.

I did Garaks introductory episode the other day, where he "befriends" Bashir. The whole thing played off like he was trying to physically seduce the guy. Nothing wrong with that of course, and I would entertain the notion that this was intended except for the fact that TV in the early 90s wasn't quite there yet. So I dunno what to make of that.

Then there's the scenes with Keiko and the kids in her school. Like seriously was this poo poo written and directed by interns?

Anyway whatever I'm aware that there is a thread for this, but I don't really want to go there and poo poo that up I just wanted to vent my random thoughts to anyone that can be bothered to read them. I'm still enjoying deep space 9 despite everything! And in my life I'll take that as a good thing 🙂. Can't wait for more Orville though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cactus posted:

I did Garaks introductory episode the other day, where he "befriends" Bashir. The whole thing played off like he was trying to physically seduce the guy. Nothing wrong with that of course, and I would entertain the notion that this was intended except for the fact that TV in the early 90s wasn't quite there yet. So I dunno what to make of that.

After you watch all of DS9 you should watch the documentary on it that's on Amazon Prime, Garak being intended to seduce Bashir is one of the things they talk about, IIRC. As well as how they viewed DS9 as a "Black show" despite the fact that it never got widely viewed as such.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah garik's actor was totally playing him as interested in bashir, letting the subtext do all the talking since the context got nixxed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cactus posted:

Andy Robinson spent a large chunk of his career in typecasting hell after playing the Scorpio Killer in Dirty Harry, so when the role of Garak came along, he read for it and he saw an opportunity to insert a lot of what he called omnisexual subtext into the character, especially after they started bringing him back and he was able to explore new areas with the character (it's easy to forget, and it's a testament to how skilled Robinson is as an actor, that Garak only had four appearances, one of them rather small, in the first two seasons).

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

The Jinx
Manhunt (both seasons)
Murder Among The Mormons
Tiger King
Unsolved Mysteries
The Staircase
Escape at Dannemora

Evil Genius is decent. It's about that bank robbery where they strapped a bomb to the guy neck's. It goes on for too many episodes, and the last episode is based way too much on prison snitch gossip, but it's a good ride up until then.

Murder Mountain is also good, even though it's a split doc. It's about the Humbolt County weed growers and is divided between giving a history of the region and their struggle during legalization while also covering a muder case and its fallout. It's a nice mix of history and drama with some comedy mixed in from the modern day growers. There's a dude who tries to act like he's Walter White when he's obviously some nobody and his story ends up being interesting.

Both on Netflix.

I'm hoping that This is a Robbery is good but I'm a little worried that they're going to stretch it too much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heads up, AMC has started airing Gangs of London. The British crime drama from the guy behind the Raid movies

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait how is I, Claudius feel-good? It's one of the best tv things ever done but goddamn is it depressing.

Brian Blessed and John Hurt are not feel good?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Watching the first few episodes of Last Man on Earth. Holy poo poo, I can't remember laughing so hard as when Todd tells Phil he's having sex. Phil's slow descent in to madness in that scene was fantastic..

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
New episode of City on a Hill was loving wild

Haven’t screamed “what the gently caress” at my TV in years

:feelsgood:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

After you watch all of DS9 you should watch the documentary on it that's on Amazon Prime, Garak being intended to seduce Bashir is one of the things they talk about, IIRC. As well as how they viewed DS9 as a "Black show" despite the fact that it never got widely viewed as such.

There was a fanfic about Garak and Bashir set 20 years later where they’re married. Robinson and Siddig performed it on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/3Tq8zaSObWU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is certainly a Joss Whedon show.

Tbh in really enjoying it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What show?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Nevers, I assume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Never gonna watch it!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MorrisBae posted:

New episode of City on a Hill was loving wild

Haven’t screamed “what the gently caress” at my TV in years

:feelsgood:

Last time I yelled "what the gently caress" at my TV was the Hannibal season 2 finale. I might have to check out this 'City on a Hill'

Rhyno posted:

Never gonna watch it!

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

Never gonna watch it!
:stat: :wal:

To anyone who is interested (I'm honestly not, but I think my wife would like the show): they broke the season up into two 6 episode blocks. In this first one Whedon directed three episodes before they eventually ditched him as showrunner. So maybe the second part will be more free of his influence.