Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

docbeard posted:

Hi, Thomas the Fact Checker here, and we give this claim of a Risen Christ five Doubting Me's until such time as we are able to personally examine the wounds in this so-called risen...hang on, someone wants to show me something.

(Happy Easter)

This is personally moving, thank you.

I like to imagine Peter as pretty freaked out, ashamed and desperate post-betrayal, so John letting him get the first peep is kind of touching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I like to imagine Peter as pretty freaked out, ashamed and desperate post-betrayal, so John letting him get the first peep is kind of touching.

Peter's portrayal in the Gospels as sort of an overenthusiastic puppy-man who completely fell apart at the crucifixion and had a (completely understandable but personally horrifying) moment of weakness while in fear for his life, and the risen Christ's subsequent lifting him back up in the kindest and gentlest way possible is just so, so wonderful.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

docbeard posted:

Peter's portrayal in the Gospels as sort of an overenthusiastic puppy-man who completely fell apart at the crucifixion and had a (completely understandable but personally horrifying) moment of weakness while in fear for his life, and the risen Christ's subsequent lifting him back up in the kindest and gentlest way possible is just so, so wonderful.

Truly. Jesus laying out a coal fire gets me every time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Happy easter everyone, our church celebrated by having two women lead the services since women were the first witnesses to the resurrection

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it, belated Passover greetings to those who celebrate that. The Baptist church across the street kicked off their weekly (recorded) bell concert for the neighbourhood with Blessed Redeemer. Its scary how quickly these hymns come back to me despite rarely entering a church since I was like 17.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nth Doctor posted:

Christ is risen indeed!

I can never get over how many times John repeats that he won the footrace to the tomb.

This was all I could think of during the Gospel reading today...

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Happy Easter. I got my second vaccine dosage at a health clinic in a Muslim community center today.

HopperUK posted:

Happy Easter! He is risen wheeee

Saw 'Mary Magdalene' trending on twitter and had a sensible chuckle.

I was seeing "Pagan" trend, and it was interesting to read people explain why Easter isn't just a repurposed pagan holiday Christianity stole.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

White Coke posted:

L

I was seeing "Pagan" trend, and it was interesting to read people explain why Easter isn't just a repurposed pagan holiday Christianity stole.

Really just wish christians would embrace skillful means like buddhists do when this topic comes up

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Here is my favourite Easter Poem. Some of you will NOT like it, but I absolutely love it:

It was on a Friday morning that they took me from the cell
and I saw they had a carpenter to crucify as well.
You can blame it on to Pilate, you can blame it on the Jews,
You can blame it on the Devil, it’s God I accuse.

You can blame it on to Adam, you can blame it on to Eve,
You can blame it on the apple, but that I can’t believe
It was God that made the Devil and the woman and the man,
And there wouldn’t be an apple if it wasn’t in the plan.

Now Barabbas was a killer and they let Barabbas go.
But you are being crucified for nothing that I know
But your God is up in heaven and He doesn’t do a thing
With a million angels watching, and they never move a wing.

It’s God they ought to crucify instead of you and me
I said to the carpenter, a-hanging on the tree.

To hell with Jehovah, to the carpenter I said.
I wish that a carpenter had made the world instead.
Goodbye and good luck to you, our ways will soon divide,
Remember me in heaven, as the man you hung beside

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

BattyKiara posted:

Here is my favourite Easter Poem. Some of you will NOT like it, but I absolutely love it:

It was on a Friday morning that they took me from the cell
and I saw they had a carpenter to crucify as well.
You can blame it on to Pilate, you can blame it on the Jews,
You can blame it on the Devil, it’s God I accuse.

You can blame it on to Adam, you can blame it on to Eve,
You can blame it on the apple, but that I can’t believe
It was God that made the Devil and the woman and the man,
And there wouldn’t be an apple if it wasn’t in the plan.

Now Barabbas was a killer and they let Barabbas go.
But you are being crucified for nothing that I know
But your God is up in heaven and He doesn’t do a thing
With a million angels watching, and they never move a wing.

It’s God they ought to crucify instead of you and me
I said to the carpenter, a-hanging on the tree.

To hell with Jehovah, to the carpenter I said.
I wish that a carpenter had made the world instead.
Goodbye and good luck to you, our ways will soon divide,
Remember me in heaven, as the man you hung beside
Beautiful and haunting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Mine is by Madeleine L'Engle.

quote:

Mary Speaks:

O you who bear the pain of the whole earth,
I bore you.
O you whose tears give human tears their worth,
I laughed with you.
You, who, when your hem is touched, give power,
I nourished you.
Who turn the day to night in this dark hour,
light comes from you.
O you who hold the world in your embrace,
I carried you.
Whose arms encircled the world with your grace,
I once held you.
O you who laughed and ate and walked the shore,
I played with you.
And I, who with all others, you died for,
now I hold you.

May I be faithful to this final test:
in this last time I hold my child, my son,
his body close enfolded to my breast,
the holder held: the bearer borne.
Mourning to joy: darkness to morn.
Open, my arms: your work is done.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I always liked Lord of the Dance better, but Friday Morning is definitely more complex in its themes, if nothing else.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A good choral performance of a family favorite Easter hymn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2ddaFsEv8

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Christ is risen indeed!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Bilirubin posted:

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it, belated Passover greetings to those who celebrate that. The Baptist church across the street kicked off their weekly (recorded) bell concert for the neighbourhood with Blessed Redeemer. Its scary how quickly these hymns come back to me despite rarely entering a church since I was like 17.

Oh, I love that one. I think "Low in the Grave He Lay" is probably the definitive classic Baptist Easter hymn, and I love it too:

quote:

Low in the grave He lay,
Jesus, my Savior,
Waiting the coming day,
Jesus, my Lord!

Refrain:
Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o’er His foes,
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever, with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!

Vainly they watch His bed,
Jesus, my Savior;
Vainly they seal the dead,
Jesus, my Lord!

Death cannot keep his Prey,
Jesus, my Savior;
He tore the bars away,
Jesus, my Lord!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Captain von Trapp posted:

Oh, I love that one. I think "Low in the Grave He Lay" is probably the definitive classic Baptist Easter hymn, and I love it too:

Any Hymn with harmony that allows me to Bass the heck out of it is a Good Hymn.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Don't make me post the Orthodox hymn trap remixes again!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

My Grandfather left this life behind this morning. Ever the gentleman, he waited until my mother had left the room to go get coffee.

His last words were his musical cadence of "and I love you" in response to my mom. His pain is over and while I'll miss him, I'm glad he is at rest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

My Grandfather left this life behind this morning. Ever the gentleman, he waited until my mother had left the room to go get coffee.

His last words were his musical cadence of "and I love you" in response to my mom. His pain is over and while I'll miss him, I'm glad he is at rest.

Light eternal. I'm glad he was able to say goodbye. Make sure to take a bit of time for yourself if you need to.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Nth Doctor posted:

Requiescat in pace.

While those may be his last words, I hope they may also be his first words of a new life.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Really just wish christians would embrace skillful means like buddhists do when this topic comes up

I keep forgetting to ask: what does that sentence mean? I know all the words in it, but not what it means put together. (Much like I understood the words in the Protestant phrase "stand upon the word" but not what it meant.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

zonohedron posted:

I keep forgetting to ask: what does that sentence mean? I know all the words in it, but not what it means put together. (Much like I understood the words in the Protestant phrase "stand upon the word" but not what it meant.)

Yeah, I was confused too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Christians imo are overly-obssesed with purity. Many christian rituals have pagan origins and nowadays Christians freak out about it instead of realizing that this was an intentional choice missionaries did. Similarly many people will say this thing or that possesses impure origins that it was devised as an evil thing and because of this it is impossible for it to be used for good. This is a rhetorical technique I see a lot in leftist spaces especially.

Skillful means has several meanings but one is basically recognizing that the world is impure and using that impurity against itself in order to bring about purity.

When the christian missionaries came to pagan europe they believed that the rituals possesed no meaning in of themselves and simply repurposed them to remind the converts of christian ideas.

The buddha did something similar when he encountered a man at a crossroads who worshipped the 6 directions for no other reason that everyone in his family had done so. Rather than telling him to abandon his ancestors and traditions the buddha instead told him to meditate on an aspect of a buddhist society when worshipping a particular direction and the obligations and respect he must afford that person regardless of whether they're high status or low status.

I know that isn't clear but skillful means is one of those things which is best described by showing it in action, that trump buddha statue was also skillful means because while shocking and seemingly blasphemous it did actually point to important buddhist ideas when you contemplated it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 12, 2021

zhar
May 3, 2019

I am a buddhist and recently the Christian practice of hesychasm has interested me but I realise I'm ignorant of much of the basics of Catholic/Eastern Christianity. Does anyone know of a good resource for learning about Catholic or Orthodox beliefs to the point it would contextualise that practice? I'm not looking for something about hesychasm to be clear but a broader overview of the faith.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Christians imo are overly-obssesed with purity.

Not necessarily, I mean to get a bit scatological is the divine in poo poo?

Look at it this way in its context who was Jesus to the Romans ? This was a nobody. Worse this was a criminal nobody, the worst of the worst and an enemy of the state. This is a scandalous assertion, that this nobody was God. It’s also an inversion, an assertion that the very highest is in the very lowest. The Word was Flesh is a scandalous assertion.

This idea is really embedded in our culture too that saviors reach down into the muck and poo poo to invert the location of the divine to pull us up. Just of the top of my head one can see it in the last Nolan Batman movie.

I mean the example of Jesus and the assertion the Jesus is the Christ is in conflict with the elements of Christianity that are more obsessed with purity.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Christians imo are overly-obssesed with purity. Many christian rituals have pagan origins and nowadays Christians freak out about it instead of realizing that this was an intentional choice missionaries did. Similarly many people will say this thing or that possesses impure origins that it was devised as an evil thing and because of this it is impossible for it to be used for good. This is a rhetorical technique I see a lot in leftist spaces especially.

There’s a difference between saying that Easter has clearly pagan elements as practiced, and claiming that the entire holiday is derived from Germanic paganism, when most Christians don’t even call it Easter but Pascha or some kind of variation. Anyone trying to de-emphasize something that clearly draws on Christianity’s origins in Judaism should be challenged, especially when they’re trying to impugn Nordic-Aryan characteristics on the religion where there aren’t.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

White Coke posted:

There’s a difference between saying that Easter has clearly pagan elements as practiced, and claiming that the entire holiday is derived from Germanic paganism, when most Christians don’t even call it Easter but Pascha or some kind of variation. Anyone trying to de-emphasize something that clearly draws on Christianity’s origins in Judaism should be challenged, especially when they’re trying to impugn Nordic-Aryan characteristics on the religion where there aren’t.

That, and sometimes what's "obviously" pagan origins isn't. Catholics use candles! Sure, and before electric or gas lighting how would you illuminate a building? And incense! Sure, and so did the Jews. And they celebrate the spring equinox! Except Eostre was almost-certainly not honored at the equinox, because as far as we can tell from the Venerable Bede, the people who would have honored Eostre celebrated full moons, not equinoxes or even the solstice. Well well well what about the Easter Bunny???? Eostre was even more certainly not associated with hares or rabbits, for the very good reason that neither were wild on the island of Great Britain until the 12th century. Okay fine but Easter comes from Eostre! Sure does, and while we're at it I have a funny story to tell you about Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...

So, like, I get the idea of saying "sure, fine, keep lighting a bonfire, but now when you do it think about Christ, our Light", that makes sense, and I guess "skillful means" could cover "oh, that story you have about that one god is actually about St. Such-and-such, who really liked Jesus, did you know that?" but when we're looking back at the past, saying "wow our ancestors were smart to co-opt that" (or wow, those Christians were evil to co-opt that, whatever) when that thing didn't actually get 'borrowed' by Christians at all just makes the person saying that look foolish at best. (At worst, it strengthens the argument of the specific sort of Protestant who thinks Catholicism comes from Babylon and devil worship.)

And, for the record, all of what I know about Eostre comes from someone who is personally interested in reconstructing paganism as it was practiced on the island of Great Britain; the reason he cares whether or not hiding colored eggs was a pagan practice is because he cares about what pagan practices were, not what the Victorians thought they were, and definitely not what anyone interested in "pure Aryan religion" thinks they were.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How much human sacrifice were pagans doing before their holidays were co-opted? Accusing your enemies of human sacrifice predates Christianity, but to say that it never happened seems like an over correction.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This is totally beside the point but we have had wild hares for a very long time. Rabbits were much more recent though. Lagomorph history is very important to me!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

White Coke posted:

How much human sacrifice were pagans doing before their holidays were co-opted? Accusing your enemies of human sacrifice predates Christianity, but to say that it never happened seems like an over correction.

I suppose it depends on which pagans you're talking about. Certainly it was present in the New World when the Catholics landed, if you want an example with surviving contemporary documentation.

jonboy8871
Sep 25, 2003
What the deuce?

Happy Eastertide from a Methodist>Episcopalian>sort of Gnostic sort of Christian here. Ask me about Sophia/the feminine aspects of the Divine/the Word.

...doesn’t mean I know anything, but it’s fun to talk.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Tell us about Sophia.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

zhar posted:

I am a buddhist and recently the Christian practice of hesychasm has interested me but I realise I'm ignorant of much of the basics of Catholic/Eastern Christianity. Does anyone know of a good resource for learning about Catholic or Orthodox beliefs to the point it would contextualise that practice? I'm not looking for something about hesychasm to be clear but a broader overview of the faith.

It's been a while since I've read them, but I recall The Orthodox Faith by Hopko being a good primer and I remember reading The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware when I first was interested in the faith.

Or you could go wild and read the The Ladder of Divine Ascent then come back and tell me if that was a bad idea or not.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Thanks a lot, just what I was looking for!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Worthleast posted:

Tell us about Sophia.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If one is into feminist theology, She Who Is, is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/She-Who-Feminist-Theological-Discourse/dp/0824519256

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oooooo! Thanks, this looks up my alley.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

While I agree, I think being exposed to this before more... traditional theology, would give the wrong impression of the faith community. It’s valid, but not normative.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

While I agree, I think being exposed to this before more... traditional theology, would give the wrong impression of the faith community. It’s valid, but not normative.

nope nope nope nope nope. we're gonna stop this right now. forums user thirteen orphans does not speak for all of christianity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nope nope nope nope nope. we're gonna stop this right now. forums user thirteen orphans does not speak for all of christianity

If you want a basic overview of Christianity especially how it’s practiced overall then eco-theology or liberation theology, what have you, shouldn’t be the first thing you jump into. That’s all I meant.

Edit: It’s a pedagogical opinion, not an opinion on orthodoxy.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 14, 2021