Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I just realized that you can click a splitter and give the exits priority, this turns it into an overflow gate. My oil industry is saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Travic posted:

I'm still fairly early on and just messing around. I just got red cubes automated. I'm loving it so far though.

I'm intrigued by the solar sails. Is that the late game power source? How long do the sails last?

I think it's supposed to be pretty midgame, you get the tech I think with red science. They last a varying amount of time based on how much research you put into them, though a fair while still to start with.

Basically it's just another way to burn resources for power. But given that regular solar panels become easy to mass produce at the same time or even earlier, they don't seem too useful.

I think honestly the game might benefit from more things that need extremely high power draw, to encourage you to really max it out. Possibly some sort of matter-energy conversion option for resources?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 25, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lagidnam posted:

I just realized that you can click a splitter and give the exits priority, this turns it into an overflow gate. My oil industry is saved!

This is how I set up x ray crystallography; there's a sushi belt that I loaded up hydrogen, it goes into a splitter that prioritizes return to the belt. The exit belt goes to general hydrogen supply.

I realize now that I need to have something like this for oil product overflow, just send it immediately into a long row of furnaces for bonus power or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IT BEGUNS!

The Dyson Sphere is starting with a permanent ring around the star's center. One rocket at a time. And yes the thing does fire day and night and doesn't care one bit about which way the planet is facing.

Travic posted:

I'm still fairly early on and just messing around. I just got red cubes automated. I'm loving it so far though.

I'm intrigued by the solar sails. Is that the late game power source? How long do the sails last?

It's your first start on getting the solar power from the Dyson. You launch the raw solar collectors Via Giant Fuckoff Railgun for your special Dyson energy collectors to suck up. Without a structure they break apart, de-orbit etc. after a certain amount of time. You can see how long they last on the upgrade research screen and buy upgrades.

The long term project is building rockets to build a permanent structure for the solar sails to attach to which gives you permanent, lasting power generation.

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's supposed to be pretty midgame, you get the tech I think with red science. They last a varying amount of time based on how much research you put into them, though a fair while still to start with.

Basically it's just another way to burn resources for power. But given that regular solar panels become easy to mass produce at the same time or even earlier, they don't seem too useful.

I think honestly the game might benefit from more things that need extremely high power draw, to encourage you to really max it out. Possibly some sort of matter-energy conversion option for resources?

Solar Panels depend on silicone which, unless you get it on your starting planet (will the generation even let you do that) means you're basically gonna vaporize your stone that you need for glass and sulfuric acid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Solar Panels depend on silicone which, unless you get it on your starting planet (will the generation even let you do that) means you're basically gonna vaporize your stone that you need for glass and sulfuric acid.

I... suppose? But you can just fly to the planet in your starter system that does and start digging it up en masse at that point, that's where I put the solar panel factory, in fact, once you can feed it enough silicon it just shits the things out at a rate of knots. That was the first thing I did, in fact. It's quite fast too if you just have a look at the other planets first. Seems less hassle than opening up a whole new set of production for the solar sails. Which I realise you need later anyway but in terms of things to do first I felt much more directed to go the solar panel route.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 25, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The main drawback of solar panels is you have to place every single one manually with no ability to do it in bulk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Using the camera skip when in god mode building makes it faster but yeah it would be nice if we could just blueprint it.

Volmarias posted:

This is how I set up x ray crystallography; there's a sushi belt that I loaded up hydrogen, it goes into a splitter that prioritizes return to the belt. The exit belt goes to general hydrogen supply.

I realize now that I need to have something like this for oil product overflow, just send it immediately into a long row of furnaces for bonus power or something.

Can I ask how you are doing an overflow with a sushi belt? I tried that but because the belt never stops it wouldn't ever offload on the low priority side.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 25, 2021

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

What do you do with all of the hydrogen? I find that cracking crude oil to make the refined oil for various chemical stuff I want in large quantities leaves me with just absolutely ludicrous quantities of hydrogen, far, far more than I need for anything.

Red cubes take a bunch but yellow cubes are my choke point right now and so that is not too significant, I have a bunch of thermal power plants burning hydrogen, I have just started running it through fractionators to get deuterium but that hardly uses any. I keep having to make stacks of storage towers to pull hydrogen off my belts then just stockpile it it or else my entire conveyor network chokes with the stuff and production of refined oil stalls thus breaking my factory chains.

Should I just make SO MANY power plants and power my main planet off burning hydrogen instead of the current solar panels? Or is there something I am going to need tens of thousands of hydrogen for just around the corner?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Patrat posted:

What do you do with all of the hydrogen? I find that cracking crude oil to make the refined oil for various chemical stuff I want in large quantities leaves me with just absolutely ludicrous quantities of hydrogen, far, far more than I need for anything.

Red cubes take a bunch but yellow cubes are my choke point right now and so that is not too significant, I have a bunch of thermal power plants burning hydrogen, I have just started running it through fractionators to get deuterium but that hardly uses any. I keep having to make stacks of storage towers to pull hydrogen off my belts then just stockpile it it or else my entire conveyor network chokes with the stuff and production of refined oil stalls thus breaking my factory chains.

Should I just make SO MANY power plants and power my main planet off burning hydrogen instead of the current solar panels? Or is there something I am going to need tens of thousands of hydrogen for just around the corner?

You'll need a bunch in the future but once you get the ability to suck Gas Giants dry you'll have an unlimited source of it. I've taken to running all my excess hydrogen through a huge S loop of Fractionators and using whatever is left in Particle Colliders to get as much Deuterium as possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oil is unlimited anyway so you always have an unlimited supply, the main issue I'm having is trying to keep the loop balanced so I'm not crashing it by overproducing either refined oil or hydrogen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you have too much Hydrogen, send it to your generators for fuel. I routed my Hydrogen through my generator line because my refined fuel was gone and now I'm also out of Hydrogen. :ohdear:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

explosivo posted:

If you have too much Hydrogen, send it to your generators for fuel. I routed my Hydrogen through my generator line because my refined fuel was gone and now I'm also out of Hydrogen. :ohdear:

You need those gas suckers!

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Youre going to need all that hydrogen and all that oil. I am always out of one or both.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You need those gas suckers!

I absolutely do. I'm kind of in a race against the clock now because I need to get one of these up and running pronto before I run out of ways to power my base. I have a big carbon store that I could send over to my generators but now I need those for diamonds too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't have any generators because I have unlimited solar power :v:

But yes I could build some, the main issue is still balancing the thing, if I had the factorio sensor logic system it would be easier.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I think that is my problem, I deliberately set up my system to poo poo out hydrogen when my bottleneck was Red Cubes, enough to keep sixteen research matrix powered full time. Then I hit the Yellow Cube bottleneck and so that mega furnace of hydrogen consumption is sitting idle most of the time. That means that my refineries fill up with hydrogen and thus stop producing oil, which stops my plastics production, which stops my organic crystals production, which stops the Yellow Block production and thus means I burn less hydrogen. Etc.

At least unless I stockpile insane quantities of hydrogen. I should probably just set up a mega fractionator cycle.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Any plans for a coop mode?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I kinda would like to see the planets actually getting hollowed or even fully consumed to build the sphere, but that's probably something that would have to be built into the engine from the start.

Some asteroids/comets to harvest would also be nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol I built generators but because I make so much solar power they aren't actually burning the hydrogen it's just sitting there lmao

I just need to get rid of the loving stuff so I can make petrol god drat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
From their Facebook:

quote:

Hi engineers,
Our journey across the universe has just begun – but it couldn’t have had a better start: Dyson Sphere Program has sold over 200,000 copies in just 4 days! We are incredibly thankful for the wonderful reception our game has had so far. As we said on release day, this is just the beginning of the road for us, but this gives us the energy to keep working harder and harder. We promise we will do everything to meet your expectations and make Dyson Sphere Program the great game you all deserve.

We invite you to join our wonderful community of engineers on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and Discord, as well as in the Steam Forums, so you can send us your feedback and be up to date with everything about the Dyson Sphere Program.

Thanks a lot, engineers, and good luck out there!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 25, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Philthy posted:

From their Facebook:

I'm really happy they're doing well. It's been at the top of Steam's Top Sellers list since it came out.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Uhh so I think I started in a really lovely solar system. There is one mercury-like planet with iron, copper and titanium and one gas giant pretty far out with two moons - my starting planet and one with iron and silicon. That's it. I've just manually delivered enough titanium to tech up into yellow and am currently unlocking interstellar logistics to get more titanium. None of the planets have custom/unusual deposits.

Is this really where I want to make my dyson swarm / sphere?

For those who are farther than I am, should I be looking to relocate or make the sphere in a better star system? Would it make it easier to do the rest of the game because the jumpdrive tech make it impractical to drag in all materials to my home system, or would re-creating everything be too much of a pita to relocate and the interstellar logistics makes it fire and forget so it doesn't matter? I've just got a basic factory; I haven't started doing the logistic hub in/out cells, I don't even have a real mall beyond conveyors.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 25, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OwlFancier posted:

I don't have any generators because I have unlimited solar power :v:

But yes I could build some, the main issue is still balancing the thing, if I had the factorio sensor logic system it would be easier.

Factorio's logic system drove me to distraction.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Bhodi posted:

Uhh so I think I started in a really lovely solar system. There is one mercury-like planet with iron, copper and titanium and one gas giant pretty far out with two moons - my starting planet and one with iron and silicon. That's it. I've just manually delivered enough titanium to tech up into yellow and am currently unlocking interstellar logistics to get more titanium. None of the planets have custom/unusual deposits.

Is this really where I want to make my dyson swarm / sphere?

For those who are farther than I am, should I be looking to relocate or make the sphere in a better star system? Would it make it easier to do the rest of the game because the jumpdrive tech make it impractical to drag in all materials to my home system, or would re-creating everything be too much of a pita to relocate and the interstellar logistics makes it fire and forget so it doesn't matter? I've just got a basic factory; I haven't started doing the logistic hub in/out cells, I don't even have a real mall beyond conveyors.

Just unlocked T5 science but not at the sphere itself, so take with a little bit of a grain of salt: Interstellar logistics, when set up well, makes thing pretty fire and forget. You set up big loads of hundreds of product to be moved at a time from a single interstellar hub on one planet to your main base. If you want to be really efficient/high volume you might need to set up multiple hubs per planet, but if you've made it up to T3 already, you might as well stay put.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 25, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Game is fun so far. Mostly have UI gripes, but it's not that bad. Please tell me I can change the color of my mech eventually lol.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LifeSunDeath posted:

Game is fun so far. Mostly have UI gripes, but it's not that bad. Please tell me I can change the color of my mech eventually lol.

Not yet but customization is on their roadmap

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope they allow modding and full customization so I can be running around as mega maid eventually

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

I hope they allow modding and full customization so I can be running around as mega maid eventually

OH YES!!!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Also, someone posted the build chain for cubez on reddit

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Philthy posted:

Also, someone posted the build chain for cubez on reddit

I am here:

LOL!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orbital Potato did a few long streams of this over the weekend and the episodes are just now going up on Youtube if you're looking for something to watch, he seems very very keen on the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I could seriously watch and take pictures like this all day :allears:

Have any smart people taken a look at best placement for ray receivers especially, and also the EM guns? All the orbital properties come together into a confusing mess in my head. My first attempt - which seems to be working okayish, so far - is receivers on the north and south poles, with guns in a circle around them, all shooting at a 90deg inclination ("polar") Dyson orbit.

(I also have a couple equatorial receivers and guns; while these get a much more direct view of the swarm and sun, at night it loses the entire Continuous Receiving bonus, which can't be helpful. Not sure the equator is the right play.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

By the way how are people using planetary logistics? I have a very obvious need for interplanetary (titanium and silicon on one planet with no oil :argh:), but I'm a little unsure what problems planetary might solve that aren't solved more cheaply with belts.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Can you select which star to build the sphere on, or does it have to be the starting one?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can select, it's whatever system you build the railguns in, hence my question about the "best" system to do it in earlier. I don't think you can stream power interstellar distances, can you? I'm guessing you need a power swarm at each star.

That build chart is pretty but doesn't have numbers on it!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Ciaphas posted:

By the way how are people using planetary logistics? I have a very obvious need for interplanetary (titanium and silicon on one planet with no oil :argh:), but I'm a little unsure what problems planetary might solve that aren't solved more cheaply with belts.

Honestly, it's easier to use the stations and plop one down where I need basic stuff like iron plates or titanium. Also my massive factory that exists only to crank out engines to fuel my engine empire because holy poo poo does everything need a lot of drat engines.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. I've officially succumbed to DSP madness. I spent the last umpteen hours just working on infrastructure for 1 accumulator a second (~63/min burst). Haven't made a single yellow science yet, but behold!

Ore usage per second: 144 iron, 24 copper, 12 coal, 8 silicon

Gonna be hard to top this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I tried with infinite resources but may restart later without it. How much of an issue is running out?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Pretty much nonextant, so far. I think i've seen a couple of mines decrease in efficiency but nothing's run out as of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
In 30 hours Ive had one mine deplete on me.