Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If all the goons who thought they weren't good enough to play with other goons would just play with each other, they'd do just fine.

But there are plenty of "good" players that aren't bothered at all by playing with "bad" players.

It'll be fine. I promise.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure I like the tempo hopup on sentinel, by the time you get out 3 sentinel shots you have 4 left with a max extended mags for maximum fire rate and you sorta need someone to actually shoot at that point without them already hiding behind cover.

The bow doesn't have the reload issue the sentinel does.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mangoose posted:

I think a lot of people, including myself, "avoid" playing with goons because we don't want to ruin games by being lovely noobs. My aim is mediocre, awareness of my surroundings in a firefight is dumpster tier and decision-making is laughable.

It's gotten better over time, I watch a lot of videos and read about tactics and stuff. I think I'm shooting for a skill level where I can join a goon game and not feel like I have to apologise for every idiot move I make. Pubbies are even more terrible than I am, most of the time, so I get away with stupid poo poo there.

I guess you could argue that I would improve faster in goon groups, but the above still stands :v:

I can't speak for every goon, but honestly as much as I like playing with the murdergods I usually party with, i really do not mind playing with people who are learning. My only requirement for for people playing with me is that you talk. What you're doing, if you see someone, etc. Make a dumb bad push? Tell me before you make it and i'll do the dumb bad push with you. I love dumb bad pushes. Want feedback on why it was dumb? I'll give you it. Don't want feedback? Yeah works for me, i'll just grab a cider and chill.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I play mainly solos and it never annoys me when people miss their shots or get ganked or whatever. What does annoy me is when they miss their shots and get ganked or whatever 300m away from the rest of the squad.

If someone is bad near me and gets downed, then that's 150+ damage that I didn't take. I had a game where we had a Fuse that I reckon I picked up over 5 times and he clutched the last kill to give us the win. He did about 80 damage total.

I reckon if you just stick near your team and only start shooting when they start shooting then you're good enough.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The most common advice I hear from pros about "how to get good" is to play exactly like that, run towards every gunshot and hold your w key.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty much, you gunfight as much as possible. Same reason people used to recommend dropping skulltown. Guaranteed way to get into gunfights, very quickly with a variety of weapons in an environment with open ground, high ground and CQB.

I miss skulltown man.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mangoose posted:

I think a lot of people, including myself, "avoid" playing with goons because we don't want to ruin games by being lovely noobs. My aim is mediocre, awareness of my surroundings in a firefight is dumpster tier and decision-making is laughable.

It's gotten better over time, I watch a lot of videos and read about tactics and stuff. I think I'm shooting for a skill level where I can join a goon game and not feel like I have to apologise for every idiot move I make. Pubbies are even more terrible than I am, most of the time, so I get away with stupid poo poo there.

I guess you could argue that I would improve faster in goon groups, but the above still stands :v:
this is me. Any time I play with goons, they always find something else (drop to another channel) after 3 games or so.

At least pubs and I will ruin each other's games equally.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Rubellavator posted:

The most common advice I hear from pros about "how to get good" is to play exactly like that, run towards every gunshot and hold your w key.

I think that's good if you do it with your whole team. I hate playing passively but I'll stick with my team if they are.

Octanes are the worst for it. Those dudes are always just hooning off into the distance

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Valkyrie is of dubious value except for her incredible ult but holy drat if she isn't fun as heck to play.

I was incredibly "meh" about her ult when I heard about it and now I love it. It's a Bullshit Cutter

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Valk is going to absolutely murder anyone who's trying to just heal behind a rock too. Throw her missiles and a nade, you have almost a guaranteed knock

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Is there a reliable way to set a frame cap? Apparently the fps_max command line isn't working anymore.

Servers held up long enough to play a handful of games last night: The bow is wild as gently caress, not as broken as the charge rifle was on-launch but it's definitely going to eat a nerf. In the meantime, I'm always grabbing the bow if I get a chance :unsmigghh:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Arena is SO GOOD when everyone is about the same skill level and decent. It gets so sweaty in the best ways. Had a round last night where we lost the first two rounds BADLY, round 3 I 1v3'd and we got a Flawless, next round my Octane buddy did the 1v3 honors, round 3 I had bought Gibby's ultimate which is VERY GOOD IN ARENA, but we just barely lost to a Valk who wouldn't sit still. Final round we barely got it and it felt amazing.

I might not play the regular mode much anymore tbh

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Started playing recently and loving the game but would also love a frame cap, especially as the recent blog post about netcode has this interesting little tidbit:

quote:

In many games, if a server runs at 60Hz, it means the client can only send 60Hz inputs. If you run at 60fps itís fine, but if your client runs at 120fps, you would lose half of your inputs. This is not the case in Apex Legends. We process variable rate of inputs fine. (As a side note, the higher your FPS is in Apex, the higher your bandwidth usage is as a result.)
Which has me wondering if setting a 60fps cap would allow me to get a little more juice out of the truly awful internet I'm working with. Fascinating blog post if you're into that kind of thing...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia has a perfectly good frame limiter built into their control panel now, just use that

Not sure about AMD

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

repiv posted:

Nvidia has a perfectly good frame limiter built into their control panel now, just use that

Not sure about AMD

Thank you! That's awesome. This is the first time I've ever had a proper graphics card and I'm still mystified by all that. Found the setting already and in for some good experimentation tonight

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Nvm then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Am I just getting an unlucky run of teammates or are there more ragers with this season's release? I've had multiple incidents of people completely flying off the handle and screaming and swearing in voice after I type something in chat during a match. In the prior two seasons I could probably count on my fingers how many times that's happened.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

To the arena team that I quit after the first round in:

I'm sorry, I saw the squad eliminated screen and my muscle memory kicked in. I had hit escape and clicked leave match before my brain caught up with me.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

Rubellavator posted:

This used to be the only real way to practice engagements. Generally, this is a bad strategy for winning though (though if you're good enough, it can net you a lot of kills before you die to a 4th or 5th party)

But now I'd say if you want to get good, you should be practicing in Arenas instead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

"How to get good" and "best way to win this particular game right now" aren't the same thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's no one way to get good. Watching pros might be helpful but remember that they are all well within the top 5% of natural ability at this game and you probably aren't, so take their advice with a grain of salt.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Overminty posted:

To the arena team that I quit after the first round in:

I'm sorry, I saw the squad eliminated screen and my muscle memory kicked in. I had hit escape and clicked leave match before my brain caught up with me.
You're not alone, I've inevitably had one or two teammates quit after the other team's third win when it was match point.

It's not best of 5, everyone! You gotta win by 2!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

this is me. Any time I play with goons, they always find something else (drop to another channel) after 3 games or so.

At least pubs and I will ruin each other's games equally.

I've definitely had this happen to me a few times, and I'm not all that bad! People def have their favourite Apex pals in there, and I can't really fault them for that. Still kinda sucks tho when they move to play with the cool kids :/

On the other hand, the more goons I play with the more likely it is that someone jumps in with me from out of the blue! I learned a lot from goons who were better than me, some of whom are more inclined to give advice than others.

Another thing that has helped me a lot is keeping notes on my games. I kept making the same mistakes (over-looting, reckless engagements, using the drone too much etc) and taking a moment to jot them down made it easier for me to recognize them in subsequent games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no one way to get good. Watching pros might be helpful but remember that they are all well within the top 5% of natural ability at this game and you probably aren't, so take their advice with a grain of salt.

You might not get to top 5% of natural ability but my aim was dogshit two years ago and now i'm pretty good, so improvement helps a lot.

You wanna compare clips?

This is me when the game first came out. If it wasn't such a good measure of improvement i'd delete it: https://twitch.tv/videos/379425346

Compared to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyfVsDtRuCM

Massive improvement, just from W'ing at fights (mostly in solo's, too).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I liked the part where you block the shots on the revive so it could finish.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
had a pubbie get really mad after hot dropping and immediately dying to a 3 man that I did not rambo charge them and punch everybody to death with no weapon

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I donít voice chat with pubs. seems like a waste of my energy.

Someone mentioned a retreat ping thought, that would rock so hard...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo gently caress the Bochek. It's utterly miserable to fight against and I hate it.

Nearly silent. Two hits take you out of a fight on purple armour, three will kill you, forget about it if it's a headshot. Model shows it's fed by a magazine but you can fire it infinitely as long as you have ammo. You can hold the bowstring for as long as you like.

It's annoying as sin and utterly unrewarding to play against. Most pro-guns will wear me down to exasperation like the classic S1 - S3 Peacekeeper and skully Wingman, but I've never had this sense of utter revulsion that the Bochek brings to the table. For an average player going up against a good one, it's just loving rotten.

I like how they tried to buff the Sentinel by giving it the tempo hopup when the Bochek does everything it does with half the effort and twice the punishment. gently caress this weapon.

E: I spelt the name wrong but I have so little respect for it I'm not gonna fix it. Baeuhgchehcktugh.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 6, 2021

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Mangoose posted:

I remember being in this position, I kinda avoided some ppl on my friends list (from battlefield who switched to Apex way before I did) because I was trash initially. It was also less demoralizing to go into games with ppl my rank and actually get some kills etc. Once you get the hang of the game a little more (firing range is super helpful) you'll feel more confident joining with more experienced players and be fine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

bows are cool

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Counterpoint: Bows are cool but being shot with arrows isn't

Now have a game which is all about being shot with arrows

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

this is why you don't let developers name weapons after themselves, of course they'll make them really strong

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Erik R. Kraber was the audio editor director on Titanfall

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0469105/

Rodney The Yam II fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 6, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If the bow were also a care package weapon it'd probably be OK.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Erik R. Kraber was the audio editor director on Titanfall

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0469105/

It's the Apex version of when the WoW quest designer made a character based on himself who hosed the banshee queen

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got back into this after not playing since like Season 3. Ended up winning the very first game with seven kills due to some unlucky enemies and a couple of really solid (random) squadmates. The charge rifle turned out to be an absolute thing of beauty. I picked it up as my first gun not even really knowing what it does and it carried me all the way to the endgame, responsible for five out of those seven kills.

Now I almost don't wanna play again cause I don't know if I'll manage to ever top that high again. :v:

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Just got back into this after not playing since like Season 3. Ended up winning the very first game with seven kills due to some unlucky enemies and a couple of really solid (random) squadmates. The charge rifle turned out to be an absolute thing of beauty. I picked it up as my first gun not even really knowing what it does and it carried me all the way to the endgame, responsible for five out of those seven kills.

Now I almost don't wanna play again cause I don't know if I'll manage to ever top that high again. :v:

Charge rifle with 2-4x or 4-10x digi is amazing. That said, in a decent lobby it is extremely visible and loud and will attract enemies to you. Itís also a cheesy hitscan sniper which will, I am not exaggerating at all, enrage good players and cause them to make murdering you their mission in (this) life.

So use it for awhile, enjoy the attention, and my tip is to swap it out for a good kitted close/medium range wep from a box when you hit top 3-5 squads because you canít afford to only have one good close quarters wep when the final squad octane pad sends on you with 99s and EVAs.

E: unless that one CQC wep is a prowler, you can wipe a squad with that bitch without reloading

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 6, 2021

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

As someone who is bad at counter-sniping, I dislike the bow.
Also I dislike that there's a gun called a Longbow, very annoying imo

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Hold up.

Reddit is in denial about Valk being a big muff diver when one of her quips is literally "I like my women like I like my sake - strong, unfiltered, and on someone else's tab"

That's... that's the literal exact opposite of "ambiguous".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

never go on reddit