Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I just want my triple take back, what happened to it???

I loved that awkward Sniper and feel like poo poo just want it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Cerepol posted:

It wasn't awkward at all, I loved and miss it greatly. I don't mind the longbow but it not as good in the mid-range.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Cerepol posted:

it's no longer a sniper weapon, and it'll be in the care packages until its replaced by the bocek

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

egg tats posted:

in the care packages until its replaced by the bocek

cant happen fast enough imho

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fragment_east.mp4

https://www.twitch.tv/aceu/clip/SuperTameDillWoofer-2gqHiFS_VSHPP0_A?=

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My mind automatically added the JoJo theme to that clip in real time while I was watching it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

valk's missiles take entirely too long to come out, and its too easy to hit yourself on geometry while they do their stupid two-stage launch

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Chard posted:

valk's missiles take entirely too long to come out, and its too easy to hit yourself on geometry while they do their stupid two-stage launch

Agreed

I played Wraith all night last night and got to 9 in a row in Arenas finally. I'm not convinced the two are connected but unsurprisingly her abilities are in fact great in Arenas. Round 1 using phase to go grab a canister and maybe ambush someone trying to do the same is decent tech

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Agreed that they're a little too slow on the draw most of the time to hit anything but incredibly trapped enemies or people who are just so caught up in the moment that they ignore one of the loudest ways to announce you're entering a fight.

Keep the high angle though because most pubbies don't seem to understand how that works and immediately slam a bunch of their own rockets into their face if you spook 'em indoors.

Other news I am extremely upset with how easily a lot of players effortlessly flick to Wattson's pylons when I've tried picking her up again now her abilities actually, y'know work. No matter what patterns I've tried, what chokepoints I've trapped and what blind angles I've tried to hide the pillars at, the only person I've managed to actually shock with them was an aimbotter who just rammed through and melted us with R-99 headshots anyway.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Valk's tactical is kind of like Bangalore's ult though - you might occasionally catch someone trapped in a fight, but it's more about forcing players to reposition. I've found it's really good for forcing people out of cover, especially in Arenas.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, its not a guarantee, its a confirm. You can either make people move for easier shots or if they don't move and your friend is moving on them as you fire it, they're a sitting duck.

On its own it sucks, combo'd with literally anything its real good.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's a nice Bangalore counter since you can target a whole smoke bomb with it

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I hope the next Arena flash event is not 5000 points to complete.

I think the first time with 3000 points was a nice milestone.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Arenas should have been an LTM. The fact that we’ve had two unannounced “uhhh play Arenas” events, where the first one didn’t even have skins just packs and stars, suggests they’re not getting as many arenas players as they expected.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Bangalore with digi-threats is currently my preferred way to rack up Arena wins in a hurry. it feels like cheating atm, but I figure people in Ranked Arena will figure out counters easily enough

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Arenas should have been an LTM. The fact that we’ve had two unannounced “uhhh play Arenas” events, where the first one didn’t even have skins just packs and stars, suggests they’re not getting as many arenas players as they expected.

these flash events and rewards were datamined weeks ago

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

catgirlgenius posted:

Bangalore with digi-threats is currently my preferred way to rack up Arena wins in a hurry. it feels like cheating atm, but I figure people in Ranked Arena will figure out counters easily enough

The counter seems to be to get a digi-threat of my own, which works well when my preferred gun is the Volt.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

these flash events and rewards were datamined weeks ago

They were in right from the start of the season

https://twitter.com/shrugtal/status/1389867270416084994

Legacy launched on the 4th

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oh. Well at any rate these “events” blow.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Are people really that burnt out on Arenas? I really like it. It could definitely use more maps, and some way to force you out of your weapon loadout comfort zone, but I do find it really satisfying still.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

more maps would be nice but in the short term it would help if the third map slot (the BR segments) rotated more often than every two weeks

just change it every day, or after every partycrasher/phaserunner loop

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just get rid of thermal whatever, I hate that place.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It just feels samey to me. Min/max your loadout, you have what you want. It’s fine, I just don’t want to play it even 50/50 with the BR mode and events that are just “play a bunch” are meh.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

The Grumbles posted:

Are people really that burnt out on Arenas? I really like it. It could definitely use more maps, and some way to force you out of your weapon loadout comfort zone, but I do find it really satisfying still.

Personally I find Arenas incredibly boring and the only reason I play it is for the BP levels from the event.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Arenas is even better than BR if you have a trio, and worse if you're solo.

I also think they did a disservice by not launching with a ranked mode.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Grumbles posted:

Well I'm not sure I'm burnt out as I wasn't ever really into arenas, but yeah I'm not a big fan. The things I like about BRs aren't present and it reduces it to merely another fps for me. I have plenty of those I could play, the BR experience is what I like about Apex, so losing that is a bummer. Multiple teams, bigger maps, working out when to push or disengage etc.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i've played basically nothing but solo arenas since it dropped and it whips rear end, incredibly fun even when we lose

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BR becoming the default FPS mode for a little while was an aberration and we would do well to remember that

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

triple post to say that a lot of the newer voice quips are too fuckin long and have desperate esprit de escalier energy that make them less punchy

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Arenas is great as a warm up before I jump into BR. I find it helps me refresh my muscle memory with things like aiming, positioning, movement, etc

Also nobody's really figured out how OP Bangalore's passive is in Arenas yet, you can pull off some wicked flanks with that speed burst you get if anyone so much as sneezes in your general direction

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I like BR because I like positioning and rotation and variety and surprises.

Arenas is fast food Apex while BR is table d'hôte Apex.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I like Arena but the buy timer is about 10 seconds too long and I really wanted multi-team deathmatch.

Also apparently only like 5% of the playerbase have figured out that getting the mats on the outside of the first ring is better instead of squabbling with the other team for the goodies inside the ring and giving up a lot of positional flexibility.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think that’s only true on wrecked ship? On phase runner/thermal station you at least then need to also get 1 of the mats from the side the enemy team rushed. Otherwise you both got the same amount of mats & a bin except they have the circle/height

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like Arenas. It gives you the opportunity to warm up before playing some BR, you have the same team members for a few rounds so you can learn to play around their abject cowardice, you can practice with certain weapons.

It doesn't have the chaos of the BR mode or the variety, which is ok, as the BR mode is still there

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I don't know if I like arenas per-se, but I'm certainly much better at it. Consistently dropping max damage of my pub-squads, a pretty good win rate. I'm usually trash at positioning and play too aggressively for my skill in BR but Arenas slows down enough for me to play smart and well.

Why the hell won't that skillset transfer over to BR!?

Orv
May 4, 2011
(Provided you're not just being silly which you might be and I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat :v:) Pretty much only the shooting and movement transfer over.

Which at least is better than learning most BRs, where you get snippets of time, often just seconds at a time, having to learn guns over the course of dozens if not hundreds of drops. God I hated that so much in the early games of the genre.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arenas as a game mode is certainly easier when all you need to worry about is a single enemy squad and can take a round or so to notice their personal quirks and learn to play off that. In BR if you aren't finished fighting an enemy squad within about the first 45 seconds to a minute of encountering them, you're very quickly going to run into third, fourth, and fifth parties dogpiling you while you're still fighting/recovering.

Each mode is stressful in certain ways and there are def people that are going to handle each differently.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Personally my big problem with arenas is that the waterfall on Party Crasher just utterly dunks my FPS into the toilet so rounds centred on the boat become a reelshow hell, and god help my team if we end up fighting actually in the fountain.

Would also like to see more variety in ring closing patterns. Obviously there's only so many patterns they can do without inherently giving one team the advantage, but something like having increasing amounts of ring-flares open might be a fun alternative to force people into parts of the maps that never get touched.

Also fill the central room on thermal full of lava, it's such an idiot trap and it's boring to squabble over.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Grumbles posted:

I'm not remotely burnt on it, it's still insanely fun. Now granted I'm decent and don't mind losing when I do. I guess it would be a frustrating mode for newer players who just get stomped constantly.

It only takes like 1 second to get into a match though so I'm not sure the mode is unpopular at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Chard posted:

i've played basically nothing but solo arenas since it dropped and it whips rear end, incredibly fun even when we lose

Yeah I mean it's just really fun. I haven't played BR in 2 weeks at least