Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

First episode of Megalobox 2 was pretty good! It didn't give me chills quite like the first episode of the first season did and starts in a pretty miserable place for our protagonist but I'm interested! Great soundtrack and sound design too, almost distractingly so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also letty the dragon walks like the guy in the malt-o-meal commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWNBqKpKHU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never would have guessed that Sentouin and Mashiro no Ota have the same director. Different production teams other than that though.

edit: God I love Megalobox. Nomad looks and sounds just as good as the first season.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 4, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Farewell my Cramer while it doesn't feel like a production mess like Cinderella Nine or Tamayomi per say I'm not sure I dig the designs for anime and the shot framing felt off in places. Funny thing is the ending is actually really nicely done both visually and framing wise too

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Farewell, My Dear Cramer - 01

Animation wise, it is fairly standard sports anime animation like Ace of the Diamond and others. Not great but passable enough. Story wise, it pretty much follows the manga with some changes here and there. It is a football sports anime about women's high school football.

The art is much better in the manga than the anime.

One annoying thing is how the layer the characters faces over fences.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

psyer posted:

If you've seen enough sports anime to call something average sports anime animation, you should know this is incredibly common.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you say it's about football, yet they're using haikyuu powers???

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

psyer posted:

Animation wise, it is fairly standard sports anime animation like Ace of the Diamond and others. Not great but passable enough. Story wise, it pretty much follows the manga with some changes here and there. It is a football sports anime about women's high school football.

wow they learned how to mask in Premiere

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

If you've seen enough sports anime to call something average sports anime animation, you should know this is incredibly common.

I know its common in sports anime. For some reason, in this one, it seems more jarring to me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The 7th Guest posted:

i have no idea how the dragon house hunting show can sustain itself over a full season (maybe it'd be better as an 11 minute series), but letty is a sweet boy that deserves to be protected

i guess house hunting shows in general sustain themselves just by showing off neat houses. i'd be fine with seeing every jrpg monster's ideal living space

If nothing else it is a little bit interesting for me to see the way that the needle has moved on the intentionally generic fantasy anime setting. For the longest time the baseline point of reference was always Dragon Quest, but Dragon Goes Househunting has a good amount of Monster Hunter in its DNA. I'm not sure if this is a broader trend or just a one-off occurrence for the sake of some gags, I still thought about it while I was watching the episode.

And Letty is indeed a very sweet boy who definitely deserves to be protected.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

i have no idea how the dragon house hunting show can sustain itself over a full season (maybe it'd be better as an 11 minute series), but letty is a sweet boy that deserves to be protected

He's our precious, fire-breathing, cinnamon roll. Sweetest dragon we ever met. I can see a possibility of it running out of steam at the end, but so far I'm enjoying the travails of poor Letty.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

psyer posted:

I know its common in sports anime. For some reason, in this one, it seems more jarring to me.

I've reviewed the evidence and now agree with your conclusions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dragon house hunting anime seems very wholesome and good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Doodles posted:

He's our precious, fire-breathing, cinnamon roll. Sweetest dragon we ever met. I can see a possibility of it running out of steam at the end, but so far I'm enjoying the travails of poor Letty.

Are we sure he can actually breathe fire?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vivy seems interesting IMO. Still waiting to see the writing tip its hand a bit more (and I thought killing the girl with the obvious death flags the way it did was a bit of an eye-roller) but I'm mostly picking up what it's putting down, I think. The production is pretty shiny in much the way I've come to expect from WIT, too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Are we sure he can actually breathe fire?

I don't think he can. There's a skill list that's shown as part of his sheet and idk if fire breathing is on it as compared to his dad's sheet shown in the eyecatch.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
First episode of Megolobox 2 was awesome.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Chas McGill posted:

Not an empty quote. gently caress....:smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watched the first episode of The Lost Tomb and it seems pretty cool. The animation and backgrounds looked really nice, especially the bit when they were in the actual tomb. Also it has a neat stop motion ending animation. I was concerned that since it's based on a novel that's further into the series that it would be relying on familiarity with the source material but it wasn't too hard to pick up on what was going on. Just hoping there's eventually a better way to watch it than some sketchy streaming site.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

"La Ola Vaja" bothered me more than it should have in the first episode of Megalo Box.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The 7th Guest posted:

wow not a single likeable character in combatants. they threaded the needle
everyone sucks in combatants and it's mostly about laughing at their misfortune. it's more about making them being shitheads funny, which hopefully they get better at adapting with the anime.

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i guess so!!

it's also taking place on a fantasy planet like some kinda star ocean so they can just do konosuba with different idiots
the concept is they're literally sentai villains who are invading other worlds by sending in scouting parties to investigate the local civilizations/fauna and possibly sow discord to make it easier to invade. but they're all bumbling dipshits so you get Combatant Number 6 and his deadpan android helper instead.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Vivy seems interesting IMO. Still waiting to see the writing tip its hand a bit more (and I thought killing the girl with the obvious death flags the way it did was a bit of an eye-roller) but I'm mostly picking up what it's putting down, I think. The production is pretty shiny in much the way I've come to expect from WIT, too.

I'm actually glad it got it out of the way now and doesn't insult our intelligence by playing coy over whether the obvious Kyubey expy is an rear end in a top hat for 10 episodes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1378908843032244225

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Combatants is if you find terrible people funny and also love jokes aimed at teenagers such as Agent six changing the password of the rain making box to “Dick Festival” it’s extremely juvenile humour but it got a laugh out of me.

It’s definitely not in the same league as Konosuba in how it’s directed. I’d say how much you’d enjoy it would also depend on if you thought Kemono Michi was okay. If you didn’t like it, you can probably avoid, if you liked it or thought it was okay, Combatants might do something for you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

psyer posted:

I'm a big football manga fan and it seemed...ok. The in-play animation is kinda rudimentary at times and the idea of "never play alone" is well-worn. I'll probably give it another couple episodes.

The most unusual thing about it is the title.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the manga art looks a lot better than the anime so i feel like that's probably the better way to go about it whenever you can read it in english

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I'm a big football manga fan and it seemed...ok. The in-play animation is kinda rudimentary at times and the idea of "never play alone" is well-worn. I'll probably give it another couple episodes.

The most unusual thing about it is the title.

The title was to honor Dettmar Cramer, the father of modern football in Japan, who passed away in 2015. The manga came out in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettmar_Cramer

And I agree with the previous comment that the art is much better in the manga than the anime. The manga is licensed and all the chapters are translated in English. You can read ch. 1, 16-end on Crunchyroll. Also most of it seems to be available on Comixology Unlimited

As for the manga, I think it is one of the better football manga. There are not that many. Another thing is that it tries to promote the women's game well. Only thing is that the manga had an abrupt ending. The author seemed to just want to work on something else as I do not think it was cancelled since it was selling fairly well.

The other good football manga are Ao Ashi, Giant Killing, and Be Blues. Try those if you have not. All the rest of the football manga are pretty poor. Do not read Blue Lock, that is just terrible.

psyer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 5, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
the only football manga i've ever read was 1/11 and that was v. good

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation (The World Ends with You The Animation) premieres this weekend and I'm pretty drat hype for it. I've played the DS game to death and was blown away last year when they actually announced a sequel. The DS game came out in 2007 (with various ports sprinkled throughout the last decade) so this has been a very slow burn.

Oh poo poo. I gotta finish watching Part 5 already.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 5, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

blue lock is probably due an anime given how successful the manga is :v:

does look goofy from out of context pages though

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

psyer posted:

At least it made me pick up and read the manga.

Don't think I could watch the anime after comparing it to the original art.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The new pot(tery) anime is cute and wholesome. Maybe learn some neat pottery facts in-between the obligatory local tourism segments

The title of the anime is "Yakunara Mug Cup mo" or "Let's Make a Mug too"

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Vivy feels kinda iffy at this point, even if the kyuby expy is a jerk I'm not certain the main story will go somewhere interesting with that or if it'll settle on the standard scientific progress is bad me am play gods type of story

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Odd Taxi is pretty neat. The contrast between the weird and gritty dialog and the cute art style is delightful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
First episode of Higehiro was pretty cute dad older brother anime, though it felt like a slow start - hopefully the next few episodes introduce more people for everyone to bounce off of.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

very happy with what odd taxi turned out to be

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

It's also showing better boxing than the first season, looking at the footwork. Haven't seen enough boxing shows to see how to rate it, but it definitely seems like an improvement.

(Which fits with Ashita No Joe, where the boxing got more realistic as it went.)

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I'm happy with the first episode of "Odd Taxi." It looks like it will be an intriguing little mystery.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
As somebody about to hit 40 and a huge loser, a few characters in a taxi show are very relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

galagazombie posted:

I'm actually glad it got it out of the way now and doesn't insult our intelligence by playing coy over whether the obvious Kyubey expy is an rear end in a top hat for 10 episodes.

Vivy really is an interesting piece of hard science fiction. The central conflict of the show seems to be between Vivy's idealistic "make everyone happy" directive versus Matsumoto's utterly cynical "let's sabotage future AI development" at all costs directive. An edgier show would have Vivy's idealism accidentally trigger her fan's death; instead Matsumoto actively prevents Vivy from saving her. This show seems to be building up that this cynical ends-justify-the-means attitude is the very thing that will in the future trigger an AI uprising. Because there are zero indications that the AIs are actively working towards the goal of genocide using the AI naming laws in the early eras, there is no signs of ulterior motives. But Matsumoto is too direct and blinkered to see this, while Vivy's idealism will hopefully find a life-affirming solution that doesn't require the sabotage of AI development (and if anything, in this universe, AI is inevitable).