Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
At dawn on June 25th, 1950, North Korean forces opened artillery fire upon South Korea. Shortly thereafter, North Korean troops crossed the 38th parallel, and the Korean War began. The first word the world knew of it was 6 AM, when embattled advisors of the Korean Military Advisory Group called Seoul to report they were under attack. This surprise attack caught both the US and South Korea off guard. Only 300 US servicemen were in the country, spread amongst the deployed SK troops. Few SK troops were in defensive positions, and they were poorly armed besides. Korea is often called "The Forgotten War," but to the men who fought there, nothing could be further from the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

General MacArthur, Supreme Commander, American Forces

Treachery! To arms!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

General, Chung Il-kwon, Training in Hawaii and Destined to Command the Republic of Korea Army

My country calls, and I must answer.

Which is best? A wandering fool or a heart at rest? Let me fly, let me fly, let me fly away

piL fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 24, 2021

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Kim Il-Sung
Premier of the Cabinet, Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Chairman, Worker's Party of Korea
Secretary General, Democratic Front for the Reunification of the Fatherland

Radio Address to All Korean People:
'Go All Out For Victory In The War'

Dear fellow countrymen, dear brothers and sisters, officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of our People's Army, guerrillas operating in the southern half of Korea, I make this appeal to you:

On June 25, the army of the puppet government of the traitor Syngman Rhee launched an all-out offensive along the 38th Parallel against the northern half of Korea. The valiant Security Forces of the Republic, fighting fierce battles to counter the enemy's invasion, have frustrated the advance of the Syngman Rhee army. The Government of the DPRK, having discussed the situation, ordered our People's Army to start decisive counter-offensive action and wipe out the enemy's armed forces. On the orders of the Government of the Republic, the People's Army drove the enemy back from areas north of the 38th Parallel and pushed them back to the south. It has already liberated a number of towns and many villages.

The traitorous Syngman Rhee clique has launched a fratricidal war although all the patriotic people of our country have made every effort to reunify the country by peaceful means. It is universal knowledge that the Syngman Rhee clique is dead set against the country's peaceful reunification and has long since prepared for civil war. It has made a frenzied effort to expand armaments and bleed its people dry. It has used terrorist methods to suppress its people, it has outlawed all democratic political parties and social organizations, it has arrested, imprisoned, and executed patriotic, progressive personalities, and it has ruthlessly suppressed even the slightest manifestation of discontent against its reactionary, fascist regime. Hundreds of thousands of the best sons and daughters of our people who fought for national independence, freedom, and democracy, have been imprisoned and murdered.

To cover up its design for civil war, the Syngman Rhee clique incessantly provoked clashes on the 38th Parallel to keep our people in a state of constant tension, and they sought to shift the responsibility for these onto the DPRK. In preparing for the so-called "push north", the Syngman Rhee clique, on the instructions of US imperialists, did not even hesitate to begin colluding with the Japanese fascists, the sworn enemy of the Korean people. The traitorous Syngman Rhee clique has additionally let themselves become a colony for the United States. They sold out their economy to US monopoly capitalists and imperialists, and let those imperialists plunder rice, tungsten, graphite, and many other natural resources which our country vitally needs.

The government of the DPRK, together with all patriotic, democratic political parties, and together with social organizations and all of the people, has done all it could to avoid a fratricidal war and the horrors of bloodshed by trying to reunify the country by peaceful means. As early as April 1948, the Joint Conference of Representatives of Political Parties and Social Organizations of North and South Korea made the first attempt to peacefully reunify. The traitorous Syngman Rhee clique, however, frustrated this attempt and, on instructions from the US imperialists and their tool for aggression, the so-called "UN Temporary Commission on Korea", staged separate elections in south Korea on May 10, 1948, and stepped up preparations for an armed attack on the northern half of our country.

What is this traitorous clique's objective in the civil war it has ignited? Through fratricidal war, they seek to extend its fascist, reactionary system of rule to the northern half of Korea and rob our people of the achievements they have attained through democratic reforms. They aim to take land away from the peasants in the northern half of Korea who have become the masters of the land as a result of the agrarian reform carried out on the principle of confiscation without compensation, and free redistribution. They want to deprive the people in the northern half of all the democratic liberties and rights they have. The traitorous Syngman Rhee clique seeks to turn our country into a colony of US imperialism and make all the Korean people slaves of American masters.

Dear brothers and sisters, our country and people are in great danger.

In this war against the Syngman Rhee gang the Korean people must defend the DPRK and its Constitution with their lives, wipe out the traitorous bandit regime and liberate the southern half of our country from reactionary, fascist rule. We must restore the people's committees, organs of genuine people's power, in the southern half and win the cause of the country's reunification under the banner of the DPRK. The war we are fighting is a just one -- a war for the country's reunification, independence, freedom, and democracy.

If we do not want to become the slaves of foreign imperialists again, all the Korean people must rise as one in the national-salvation struggle to overthrow and smash the traitorous Syngman Rhee "regime" and its army. We must, at all costs, win ultimate victory.

Officers and men of the "National Defense Army" of the puppet south Korean government, your enemy is none other than the traitorous Syngman Rhee clique. In the interests of the country and the people, you must lose no chance to turn your guns upon this gang of traitors. You should come over to the side of the People's Army and the guerrillas and join in the nationwide struggle for reunification and freedom of the country.

The time has come to reunify our country. Let us march forward valiantly with firm confidence in victory!
Go all out to assist our People's Army!
Go all out to defeat and wipe out the enemy!
Long live the Korean people who have risen in a just People's War!
Long live the Democratic People's Republic of Korea!

Let us march forward to victory!

Takanago fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 24, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Syngman Rhee leader of REAL KOREA

gently caress the DPRK, they're all homos!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
From The Korean War by Max Hastings:

The initial week of hostilities saw ferocious fighting between North and South Korean forces. Over radio telephone, General Chung Il-Kwon sent orders from Hawaii before departing on a DC3 to Japan, then to the frontline. South Korean forces, ill-equipped and ill-led, tried in vain to prevent North Korean advances. Still, some success was had. The immediate evacuation of Seoul and Inchon went well, and most bridges were blown, though a shortage of explosives meant some were only partially destroyed.

7 ROK held position, defending a river line for several days before being pushed back, but not before allowing 5 ROK to retreat in good order. Following 5 ROK retreat, 2 ROK routed and a hole was opened in ROK lines, though it was difficult to exploit due to lack of bridging equipment. Still, by the end of the week, NK T-34s were in the suburbs of Seoul and occupying Incheon. 6 and 8 ROK, dispersed into mountain passes to block transit of T-34s, were quickly surrounded and destroyed piecemeal, their lack of training and leadership showing, as when flanked, they often routed.

Some SK units fought hard, with men showing the sort of insane self-destruction typified by the Japanese in WWII, attaching explosives to themselves and diving bodily under T-34s. Others routed or surrendered almost immediately.

The Americans, under General McArthur, saw little action by infantry, with McArthur merely requesting reinforcements and beginning to strip some units to bring at least one infantry division up to full strength. No troops were sent to SK in the first week, however, both the Navy and the Air Force struck out with ferocity. Upon obtaining permission from Congress, the President authorized military action in support of SK, leading to heavy action by the Air Force. Fighters forces roamed freely, and by the first week, NKs meager air force was destroyed.

Unfortunately, little coordination existed between ROK troops and USAF CAS. This meant close air support was of little use to ROK troops. Still, with no friendly tanks in the peninsula, NK T-34s took a beating. Strategic airpower was also used, with B-26s and B-29s bombing targets in NK, primarily marshaling yards and air bases.

On 25 June 1950, the ships in the Naval Forces Far East (NAVFE) consisted of "one cruiser, four destroyers, four amphibious ships, one submarine, ten minesweepers, and a frigate attached from the Australian navy." The Navy, starved of funds and subject to demobilization due to Truman's defense plans, spent the first week of the war summoning reinforcements and conducting convoy defence.

Politically, the invasion was a disaster for NK. Despite an impressive propaganda campaign highlighting the excesses and cruelty of Syngman Rhee, most countries were focused on the parallels to Nazi Germanys invasion of Czechoslovakia. “Never another Chamberlain” was the watchword in the West. In addition, their requests for vetos in the UN was denied, as the Soviets were set in their boycott of the body. Further aid was sent, however, with small arms, artillery, and T-34s sent to China, which sent them over the Yalu. Diplomatic communiques between the PRC and NK contain messages of “eternal friendship” and “fraternal bonds,” most likely to keep the supplies flowing and the possibility of Chinese intervention open.

Syngman Rhee, on the other hand, continued his pre-war actions: rounding up dissidents and executing them, and forcibly conscripting more people into the army. He fled Seoul in the first days of the war, and spent most of that time haranguing his commanders for “cowardice and incompetence.” Visitors to his office found him often in a stupor, which he only seemed to rouse from for another rant. The US Ambassador likened it to “those last days in the bunker in Berlin.”

Truman acted swiftly upon hearing of the NK invasion, summoning Congress for a declaration of war and a defense appropriation. He followed that with authorizations for air strikes and other military actions. A meeting of the UN security council saw a first, a multinational coalition authorized by international law to restore order. Immediately, a number of countries pledged troops to the initiative, but the war would remain primarily a US endeavour.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Syngman Rhee leader of REAL KOREA

Busan. poo poo. I'm still only in Busan. Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in Seoul. I wake up and there's nothing. I hardly say a word to my wife, until I say "yes" to a dinner invitation. When I'm here, I want to be there; when I was there in the invasion, all I could think of was running into the jungle. I'm here a week now, waiting for room service, getting soft serve ice cream. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Kimmy squats on MY TOILET, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Harry S. Truman
POTUS

quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JUNE 27, 1950
STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

In Korea the Government forces, which were armed to prevent border raids and to
preserve internal security, were attacked by invading forces from North Korea. The Security
Council of the United Nations called upon the invading troops to cease hostilities and to withdraw to
the 38th parallel. This they have not done, but on the contrary have pressed the attack. The
Security Council called upon all members of the United Nations to render every assistance to the
United Nations in the execution of this resolution. In these circumstances I have ordered United
States air and sea forces to give the Korean Government troops cover and support.

The attack upon Korea makes it plain beyond all doubt that communism has passed
beyond the use of subversion to conquer independent nations and will now use armed invasion and
war. It has defied the orders of the Security Council of the United Nations issued to preserve
international peace and security. In these circumstances the occupation of Formosa by Communist
forces would be a direct threat to the security of the Pacific area and to United States forces
performing their lawful and necessary functions in that area.

Accordingly I have ordered the 7th Fleet to prevent any attack on Formosa. As a corollary
of this action I am calling upon the Chinese Government on Formosa to cease all air and sea
operations against the mainland. The 7th Fleet will see that this is done. The determination of the
future status of Formosa must await the restoration of security in the Pacific, a peace settlement
with Japan, or consideration by the United Nations.

I have also directed that United States Forces in the Philippines be strengthened and that
military assistance to the Philippine Government be accelerated.

I have similarly directed acceleration in the furnishing of military assistance to the forces of
France and the Associated States in Indochina and the dispatch of a military mission to provide
close working relations with those forces.

I know that all members of the United Nations will consider carefully the consequences of
this latest aggression in Korea in defiance of the Charter of the United Nations. A return to the rule
of force in international affairs would have far-reaching effects. The United States will continue to
uphold the rule of law.

I have instructed Ambassador Austin, as the representative of the United States to the
Security Council, to report these steps to the Council.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

General, Chung Il-kwon, Training in Hawaii and Destined to Command the Republic of Korea Army

Chung Il-kwon arrives in theater and immediately makes for the front. Travel takes a few days, so he takes the opportunities to pen a few messages.

To members of the ROK Army: I have returned to theatre and assumed responsibilities from Chae Byeong Deok. Your efforts to hold the line are shining examples to all citizens of our fledgling democracy and men and women will soon be volunteering in droves to share in the burdens of democracy. The international community rallies to our cause. Help is on the way, but you must slow the advance of the this communist scourge driven mad with bloodlust. Trust in one another and fight for one another.
Respectfully, -Gen Il-Kwon

Letters go out to UN allies and the president of the ROK.

How could I help if tears were starting. Goodbye to tender nights beside the silv'ry sea.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Over there! Over there! Send the word, send the word, over there!

We're coming, friends of freedom, don't you worry.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

The peaceful reunification of the Fatherland should not be interrupted by any nation. We salute any kind of negotiations to discuss the issue of the cessation of contacts between the population in South and North Korea, the issue of the peaceful reunification of the Fatherland

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

gay for gacha posted:

The peaceful reunification of the Fatherland should not be interrupted by any nation. We salute any kind of negotiations to discuss the issue of the cessation of contacts between the population in South and North Korea, the issue of the peaceful reunification of the Fatherland

Withdraw your forces back north of the line, and perhaps we can talk.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

sniper4625 posted:

Withdraw your forces back north of the line, and perhaps we can talk.

Marshal Choe Yong-gon (Supreme Command Korean People’s Army (KPA))​
In South Korea, despite the objections of the Syngman Rhee clique, despite the terror directed against the people, the population reads and warmly supports the call. ‘The Korean people are united, Korea belongs to the Korean people.’ ‘American imperialists, get out of Korea!’ These slogans can be heard in every corner of Korea. These are the united voice and demands of the Korean people, who warmly want the unification of their Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Syngman Rhee
leader of REAL KOREA

I'm just not feeling it today, all the drink and drugs and ladies just taste like ashes in my mouth.
The cancerous growth of communism must be cut out and burned off for Korea to live, and the head of Kim put on a spike. Maybe after being severed from his grotesque body first, maybe not.

I urge everyone to make today the 'kick a commie in the bollacks day' as my friend and mentor Winston Churchill would have said.