Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Illuminti posted:

Whilst trying not to anger anyone. Yes the flu is bad. But its become accepted fact that if you weren't fading in and out of consciousness for a week, sweating blood and talking to ghosts of dead relatives then you didn't have flu, you had a cold....you weak bastard, get back to work.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu

It's just the flu is still a dumb argument, mainly because covid is not, but the idea that unless you were totally hosed for a week means you didn't have "actual flu" is wrong.

Sounds like a better way to frame it is that plenty of people have (actual) mild flu symptoms then blow covid off as just the same mild flu.

However, a significant proportion of people get really loving sick from the flu and COVID is actually much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fritz the Horse posted:

Sounds like a better way to frame it is that plenty of people have (actual) mild flu symptoms then blow covid off as just the same mild flu.

However, a significant proportion of people get really loving sick from the flu and COVID is actually much worse.

Yes. I mean I feel like this is one of covid (and the flu's) best tricks. People either catch it or know someone who caught it and got the sniffles, and ergo, because for humans anecdote trumps data and stats, covid is no big deal.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I wasn't able to get online today until after work, and the first thing I saw online today was a cabinet level foreign official give a televised statement debunking claims about Nicki minaj's cousin's friend's balls.

I'm just gonna log back off

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

I wasn't able to get online today until after work, and the first thing I saw online today was a cabinet level foreign official give a televised statement debunking claims about Nicki minaj's cousin's friend's balls.

I'm just gonna log back off

To think that Planned Parenthood could have saved us all by subtweeting her with "that's just chlamydia lol"

Nikki Minaj's Cousin's Friend's Balls is unfortunately too long to be a username.

e: oh huh my joke in the last op about Work In Progress (feat. Comrade Nikki Minaj) sure aged like milk

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 16, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

To think that Planned Parenthood could have saved us all by subtweeting her with "that's just chlamydia lol"

Nikki Minaj's Cousin's Friend's Balls is unfortunately too long to be a username.

e: oh huh my joke in the last op about Work In Progress (feat. Comrade Nikki Minaj) sure aged like milk

Her Cuzs BFFs Nutz would work ;)

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Fighting Trousers posted:

Eh, this spring there were a heck of a lot more people wearing masks here in Oklahoma than there are now, even as our ICUs have been filled to capacity for weeks. Giving people permission to stop wearing masks absolutely had an impact.

Speaking of masks, Petey and other AirPop havers, how do they wear on the ears? In switching to KN95s, I've discovered that I apparently have a long face and a big nose (I never knew!), and the ear loops pull something dreadful.

They wear fine for me. I don't know how to measure head sizes, but I'm a six-foot man and they fit. I've got the spacers on the earloops positioned so they're snug but still have space to adjust.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Eh, this spring there were a heck of a lot more people wearing masks here in Oklahoma than there are now, even as our ICUs have been filled to capacity for weeks. Giving people permission to stop wearing masks absolutely had an impact.

Speaking of masks, Petey and other AirPop havers, how do they wear on the ears? In switching to KN95s, I've discovered that I apparently have a long face and a big nose (I never knew!), and the ear loops pull something dreadful.

I have an exceptionally long face and agree it's hard finding masks that fit

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Fritz the Horse posted:

I have an exceptionally long face and agree it's hard finding masks that fit

I can't let this post\av\name combo pass without posting my chortle.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

One thing about living here in Oklahoma is that whatever is going on in the rest of the world takes a little bit longer to reach us here, on average. We're not doing great with covid but there are plenty of statistics and severity maps that show we're far from the worst. A decent chunk, I don't want to say a lot and certainly not most, of our icu capacity is filled with people ferried in from neighboring states, Tulsa in particular. Then again covid came and spread here a lot more quickly than, say, culture.

I've been distancing and masking something fierce since the beginning, been unemployed since the around the beginning of this summer and almost only leave the house to go grocery shopping once every two or three weeks for me and my grandma since around april of last year. I can definitely back you up on the mask thing though. There was a period of maybe a month where lots of people in grocery stores were wearing masks and we've never got back to that frequency, since around the time the cdc made their statement about vaccinated people not having to wear masks. I worked at a grocery store at the time and that employer immediately started relaxing plague time protections as soon as possible, we went from a store customer capacity of 60 to 250 in like three weeks. Felt like every time there was a line outside the door we upped our capacity limits. At the same time that store loosened all vaccine verification requirements before simply doing away with them entirely. Now those checks simply don't exist, the biggest measure any store has is a hand santizer dispenser at the entry point. I've been doing some lawn care for the past several months and the few times I've gone to a lawn/garden store there wasn't even that precaution and literally no one was wearing a mask. I still see masks in walmart but it's at best like 40% of people no matter what time of day.

Everyone heard the cdc and the feds say that masks were no longer required and rushed out to act like absolutely everything was 2019 levels of normal.

As for mask fittings Im pretty happy with the n95/kn95 behind the head straps. They're snug and cheap. You might want to fork over ~20 dollars for two different sized bags of those and see whichever fits you better. The cspam thread also has regular mentions of more hardcore options and it sounds like the only complaints around those are how well glasses fit on top of them.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Did we ever bring the light into the body?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It doesn't really matter because kids aren't even getting 1' of space in most classrooms. They're hoping that covid moves in straight lines and only when students are at desks so the plastic barriers can stop it.

A theory on why 6' and 3' or whatever might not matter is because when in a room with someone for a protracted length of time COVID's transmission is more aerosol/airborne than large droplet, i.e. the whole idiocy that led off with people focusing on those potentially worse plastic barriers and whatnot. At the same time, there's probably more viral particles in those larger bits, which is possibly why 3' looks to be worse (yet lmao conclusions in research papers again, this is why every single one should be torn apart and made fun of) when looking at the numbers and not relying on stats to fudge numbers.

The comparison to ivermectin is actually a bit interesting in this regard. The original in vitro study used amounts of ivermectin that would have needed doses in the tens to hundreds of milligrams range (as opposed to the high dose being hundreds of micrograms) which anyone that isn't just throwing whatever into a well would understand.

If you take the general understanding of COVID transmission currently as, "large droplet but also aerosol/airborne" then in hindsight the 6'/3' is similarly dumb.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Corporates America update:

Hybrid model. We are going to require vaccines at my medium sized (over 1000 employees) business for in-office work, but:

1) We allow medical and humanitarian exemptions

2) No proof required, it's via attestation only.

If you think this raises a lot of questions....congratulations, you must have been at our office meeting.

And for those wondering how much federal state and local rules matter, we operate in 30+ countries and the official corporate line is that we go by whatever the public health rules are where we are.

Which means that countries with a fraction of the US infection rate have closed offices but the US is "open 'er up"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
"Hooray" my super anti-vaxx/"COVID is fake/the flu" Aunt and Uncle are now both extremely ill with COVID symptoms. :(

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Nonsense posted:

Was the Spanish Flu epidemic essentially COVID or really different? I wonder how horrific the death toll would have been if COVID was pre world wars, as the Spanish Flu period killed like 20 million people? I know there was even basic mitigation for it even back then, but more than a million people dying to this now in our own period is still very terrible.

Spanish flu went in week long waves that would devastate a city and then move on to another, so it wasn't as much as a perpetual pandemic, more an occasional megadeath

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

enki42 posted:

This is highly dependent on how old your kids are. High school aged, sure (but then again, those ages are more likely to be vaccinated and thus less of a concern). I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old, and I can't think of many places in the world where leaving them at home for a full day wouldn't be considered reckless (it's flat out illegal where I live).

Even if you are working from home, it's impractical to assume that especially with younger children that you'll be able to work effectively and they'll just do remote learning all day. There's real impacts, and needing to care for your kids even 50% of the time (if you're able to split with a partner) will definitely impact your job, both in terms of your actual productivity and your reputation. I've heard many, many stories from fairly horrible managers about how irresponsible X employee is because they're always taking care of their kid and not doing work, and virtually every office environment's remote policy takes great efforts to stress that spending any work time on childcare is strictly prohibited.

Parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Supports just don't exist - while here in Canada there are benefits you can take related to COVID if you're laid off, needing to take time off to care for children isn't a permitted way to get them (unless your child's in-person school was closed). Even assuming you could weasel your way in, you're potentially trading a steady job and your professional reputation for $2000 a month in support.

Yeah, it differs from person to person obviously but even the idea of "well the government should just pay everyone enough to stay home and take care of kids!" is poorly thought out and would put a huge hardship on parents. For one, lots of people can't just pause their jobs, or don't WANT to pause their jobs. Unless the government could literally tell every business and institution in the country to halt everything their doing and not let any of their workers work, then you end up disadvantaging people who have to stop working to care for their kids. Even if there's some law that their jobs have to be waiting for them, how many people do you think are gonna get hosed over when they go back to their job and have lost responsibility and promotion possibilities (this is not new at all, it happens to women all the time when they have kids!)
On top of that, staying home with your kids isn't some fun vacation time, it can extremely difficult day in and day out especially during a pandemic. Kids aren't easy, it isn't a "well you just don't love your kids and don't want to spend time with them" thing, it is just an exhausting tiring thing to do sometimes even with the best behaved kids.

There really aren't any great or easy solutions to the kids and school problem...there are 100% things that could have been done better, maybe there could have been more pressure to get vaccination trials started sooner, push back school openings, more effort to make classrooms safer, less emphasis on "well kids are a low risk group so let's not worry about it too hard" which in retrospect was bad messaging that's causing problems now with people saying "well kids don't get covid!", but ultimately there was no easy fix to this either and that's probably partly why we have the muddled response that we got...no one really knew how to do this poo poo.

Re: removing the mask mandates/recommendations, it's pretty obvious they were hoping to incentivize more people getting the vaccines with the carrot of "then you'll be able to go back to normal!" but it was poorly thought out and then they got caught with their pants down with delta.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Levitate posted:

Yeah, it differs from person to person obviously but even the idea of "well the government should just pay everyone enough to stay home and take care of kids!" is poorly thought out and would put a huge hardship on parents. For one, lots of people can't just pause their jobs, or don't WANT to pause their jobs. Unless the government could literally tell every business and institution in the country to halt everything their doing and not let any of their workers work, then you end up disadvantaging people who have to stop working to care for their kids. Even if there's some law that their jobs have to be waiting for them, how many people do you think are gonna get hosed over when they go back to their job and have lost responsibility and promotion possibilities (this is not new at all, it happens to women all the time when they have kids!)
On top of that, staying home with your kids isn't some fun vacation time, it can extremely difficult day in and day out especially during a pandemic. Kids aren't easy, it isn't a "well you just don't love your kids and don't want to spend time with them" thing, it is just an exhausting tiring thing to do sometimes even with the best behaved kids.

Nobody said it was easy, but the government could very much do this and other governments have done this.

quote:

There really aren't any great or easy solutions to the kids and school problem...there are 100% things that could have been done better, maybe there could have been more pressure to get vaccination trials started sooner, push back school openings, more effort to make classrooms safer, less emphasis on "well kids are a low risk group so let's not worry about it too hard" which in retrospect was bad messaging that's causing problems now with people saying "well kids don't get covid!", but ultimately there was no easy fix to this either and that's probably partly why we have the muddled response that we got...no one really knew how to do this poo poo.

Governments already did know how to do this that's why governments in some places did do things.

Test, trace, isolate is a well known tactic in response to a pandemic as are quarantine lockdowns.

We had entire huge guides on how to handle pandemics.

We have legions of experts.

"Nobody knew" isn't a really good take.

quote:

Re: removing the mask mandates/recommendations, it's pretty obvious they were hoping to incentivize more people getting the vaccines with the carrot of "then you'll be able to go back to normal!" but it was poorly thought out and then they got caught with their pants down with delta.

They weren't caught with their pants down it was already known months in advance of removing mask mandates.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Professor Beetus posted:

I really liked this article by VideoGameVet, written as an open letter to Bill Maher's dumb rear end, on why covid-19 isn't just an issue of kicking the obese to the curb, and how obesity is an epidemic created by our lovely capitalist forces in the US, lobbying for their special treats to remain unregulated. (Also they got a 3 day for posting it in YLLS, f )

Now I get the rules (no linking to stuff in YLLS you wrote elsewhere) I should be ok and clearly the Bill Maher rant didn't belong there.

I'm just amazed that Maher is apparently ignorant of what the food/ag industry did to the '78 McGovern thing. There's NO WAY an admin or congressperson is going to incur their wrath.

And contrary to the Keto-Klub, McGovern's committee original report was not "fats bad, eat sugar."

See the pic in my article:

https://medium.com/weight-loss-truths/covid-and-obesity-an-open-letter-to-bill-maher-2bbf72df8102

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jaxyon posted:

Nobody said it was easy, but the government could very much do this and other governments have done this.

Done what? Send kids back to school safely?

quote:

Governments already did know how to do this that's why governments in some places did do things.

Test, trace, isolate is a well known tactic in response to a pandemic as are quarantine lockdowns.

We had entire huge guides on how to handle pandemics.

We have legions of experts.

"Nobody knew" isn't a really good take.

I think there is another context/argument that you really are ultimately making and that's about how the US government and US people have basically failed at this pandemic and I feel the "other countries have done this" argument is more appropriate as a critique of the overall US culture, form of government, and people itself. When I talk about the stuff I talk about it's in the context of knowing our country is hosed and we can't go back in time and magically find a way to fix it before this. I don't think the people in the US, the state and local governments, etc, are willing and able to carry out the things you talk about. The federal government would have to be willing to use military force all over the nation to enforce quarantines and lockdowns and mandates and we know they won't do that, but you can't rely on local authorities to do it either.
Basically, I wish the US had the ability to confront this thing better than it did but honestly I don't think it was ever a possibility no matter who was president at any tiem during the pandemic. This country just doesn't work that way to its obvious detriment in this instance. That is a valid critique of the US and its response but I just don't really feel like it's a winning comeback to these type of conversations either. "Well the US should have just done what we know it's incapable of doing!". At the very least dig into why.

"nobody knew" what to do about kids and schools because they hosed up thinking ahead about their "kids don't get sick" messaging and honestly I don't think they really prioritized a good solution, but I still don't think there was or is a good clean solution within the context of what we have to work with in the United States.

quote:

They weren't caught with their pants down it was already known months in advance of removing mask mandates.

Caught with their pants down can also mean they disregarded what was happening in India (thinking "well it's India that's basically a third world country right??) when tehy should have been paying attention. It doesn't mean there was nothing they could have done to foresee this, it means they were unprepared for a variety of reasons and it's on them for loving up the response

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Levitate posted:

Done what? Send kids back to school safely?

No. Sending kids to in-person schooling is a mistake, without vastly lower rates.

However many countries have successfully managed to safely and ecnomically lockdown large parts of the population for long periods.

quote:

I think there is another context/argument that you really are ultimately making and that's about how the US government and US people have basically failed at this pandemic and I feel the "other countries have done this" argument is more appropriate as a critique of the overall US culture, form of government, and people itself. When I talk about the stuff I talk about it's in the context of knowing our country is hosed and we can't go back in time and magically find a way to fix it before this. I don't think the people in the US, the state and local governments, etc, are willing and able to carry out the things you talk about. The federal government would have to be willing to use military force all over the nation to enforce quarantines and lockdowns and mandates and we know they won't do that, but you can't rely on local authorities to do it either.
Basically, I wish the US had the ability to confront this thing better than it did but honestly I don't think it was ever a possibility no matter who was president at any tiem during the pandemic. This country just doesn't work that way to its obvious detriment in this instance. That is a valid critique of the US and its response but I just don't really feel like it's a winning comeback to these type of conversations either. "Well the US should have just done what we know it's incapable of doing!". At the very least dig into why.

"nobody knew" what to do about kids and schools because they hosed up thinking ahead about their "kids don't get sick" messaging and honestly I don't think they really prioritized a good solution, but I still don't think there was or is a good clean solution within the context of what we have to work with in the United States.

The issue is you're applying a lack of information or ignorance to the bad decisions it has made, which isn't the case. The government has had information indicating what is a good or bad decision, and it has made a number of bad decisions.

Pretending it's an honest accident does not create a culture of accountability or a nation where things can get better.

quote:

Caught with their pants down can also mean they disregarded what was happening in India (thinking "well it's India that's basically a third world country right??) when tehy should have been paying attention. It doesn't mean there was nothing they could have done to foresee this, it means they were unprepared for a variety of reasons and it's on them for loving up the response

Caught with their pants down implies it was a surprise or accident, to me.

It was neither.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was talking to a friend of mine from my hometown, and found out she was unvaxxed. This girl took my virginity eons ago in 2005 and we've fallen in and out of touch several times over the years. Now we're back in touch and I was able to convince her to get vaccinated! She was surrounded by so much fear and disinformation that she was more scared of getting sick from the vaccine than she was of getting covid, and she doesn't have the science literacy to understand good information from bad information, not to mention being surrounded by chuds 24/7 being in West Georgia.

I was able to get her to agree by listening to her fears instead of trying to shame her, and I was able to gently persuade her into it by telling her that I had gotten the shots and was totally fine, and I wouldn't ask her to do anything unsafe or anything that I wasn't also willing to do myself. I also made the point that her young children (she's a single mom, our area was extremely working class) aren't old enough to get the shots yet so the best protection she could give them was to get herself protected too so she had a better chance of not bringing it home to her babies.

Personal connections matter, they really do. I am really beginning to believe the only way we can convince some of the vaccine hesitant people (the ones who aren't hardliners and who are just unable to tell good info from bad) is to use those connections and leverage them into persuasion. Literally the only reason my friend agreed is because I told her it was safe, and she trusts my judgment. She even made the appointment and provided me all the screenshots of the details, without being asked.

These people can be reasoned with and won over. Not all of them and not all of the time, but some of them, and every little bit helps.

This gives me hope today, after a really rough week.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 16, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Levitate posted:

The solution to this is the same solution Scandinavian countries have to the maternity leave problem: apply it to both parents and make it mandatory.

Also do zero covid policies so you have to lock down for a week or two when there's a quarantine escape, like New Zealand or China does. A month at most at first maybe since we negligently let covid rage out of control.

I think part of the failure of imagination here is that as Americans we had to live under a government that just doesn't give a poo poo, so we had to isolate ourselves from friends and family and events for over a year while pestilence ravaged the land, so when we hear about closing down businesses we think "but that's unsustainable, you can't shut everything down for a whole year", but of course if you do it right you don't need to lock down indefinitely. You crush community spread, build out the ability to test and trace quarantine escapes, then open back up.

The reason we're all trapped in open-ended indefinite covid hell is because our leaders decided to prioritize quarterly number-go-up over public health

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quoting this for the OP and going to throw a pet tax up. Horse we have a firm pet tax in this thread and your av does not count.

:colbert:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 16, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

I was able to get her to agree by listening to her fears instead of trying to shame her, and I was able to gently persuade her into it by telling her that I had gotten the shots and was totally fine, and I wouldn't ask her to do anything unsafe or anything that I wasn't also willing to do myself. I also made the point that her young children (she's a single mom, our area was extremely working class) aren't old enough to get the shots yet so the best protection she could give them was to get herself protected too so she had a better chance of not bringing it home to her babies.

Personal connections matter, they really do. I am really beginning to believe the only way we can convince some of the vaccine hesitant people (the ones who aren't hardliners and who are just unable to tell good info from bad) is to use those connections and leverage them into persuasion. Literally the only reason my friend agreed is because I told her it was safe, and she trusts my judgment. She even made the appointment and provided me all the screenshots of the details, without being asked.

Thank you for doing good work. This kind of stuff isn't easy but it does work better than most anything else.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

SubG posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but the general problem is:
  • N95s/KN95s are good at source control
  • Surgical masks are not good at source control
  • There's a single paper that suggests that an unfiltered exhalation valve on an FFR is about as good for source control as a surgical mask
  • The paper explicitly does not include EHMRs in their conclusions
So there's no data suggesting unfiltered exhalation on EHMRs is equivalent to FFRs. But even if there was, then you still wouldn't want to rely on it for source control. Despite this, people keep extolling the virtues of EHMRs, and offer that NIOSH paper as a defence of using one despite it having an unfiltered exhalation valve (unless you're using a 3M 6000 series with a 604 filter, or one of the small number of similar setups).

I'm perfectly happy to to wear an N95 in a situation where masks are required for everyone. However, if I'm in a store where nobody's required to be masked, and maybe 5-10% of people actually are, and I choose to switch to an EHMR with better filters, the fact that I'm wearing a mask with an unfiltered exhalation valve is really not the problem in that scenario.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Medullah posted:

"Hooray" my super anti-vaxx/"COVID is fake/the flu" Aunt and Uncle are now both extremely ill with COVID symptoms. :(

I'm sorry

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HonorableTB posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine from my hometown, and found out she was unvaxxed. This girl took my virginity eons ago in 2005 and we've fallen in and out of touch several times over the years. Now we're back in touch and I was able to convince her to get vaccinated! ...

These people can be reasoned with and won over. Not all of them and not all of the time, but some of them, and every little bit helps.

This is a great story, I'm happy for both of you.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 16, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thank you all for the kind words! I accidentally left a url in the screenshot and edited it out, so please use the updated screenshots if my post will be in the OP :)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Well I found out that my wife is going on immune suppressors for a recently diagnosed issue.

She's going to qualify for a booster as soon as she starts, but now I really need to make sure she's as protected as possible. I really worry about the kids bringing stuff home now.

Time to buy more N95s.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HonorableTB posted:

Thank you all for the kind words! I accidentally left a url in the screenshot and edited it out, so please use the updated screenshots if my post will be in the OP :)

I made it so it links to your post in order to keep OP size a little more under control. :unsmith:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well I found out that my wife is going on immune suppressors for a recently diagnosed issue.

She's going to qualify for a booster as soon as she starts, but now I really need to make sure she's as protected as possible. I really worry about the kids bringing stuff home now.

Time to buy more N95s.

can she not "Yes this is my first vaccine" it asap?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jaxyon posted:

Corporates America update:

Hybrid model. We are going to require vaccines at my medium sized (over 1000 employees) business for in-office work, but:

1) We allow medical and humanitarian exemptions

2) No proof required, it's via attestation only.

If you think this raises a lot of questions....congratulations, you must have been at our office meeting.

And for those wondering how much federal state and local rules matter, we operate in 30+ countries and the official corporate line is that we go by whatever the public health rules are where we are.

Which means that countries with a fraction of the US infection rate have closed offices but the US is "open 'er up"

It's unlikely attestation will be sufficient under the OSHA rule.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Time to buy more N95s.

Those kinds of booster appointments tend to be walk-ins (at least, mine was) so I'd honestly say this is a time you'd be in the clear to talk in, put down 'I'm on X', and get it done early. I mean, it's not like she's not going to be on X, just a little later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want to avoid a technical lie, say “I have been put on the immunosuppressive drug <whatever> for <issue>. Therefore my doctor recommended I receive a third dose of the coronavirus vaccine.”

The pharmacist gets the narrative they want and isn’t going to grill you on whether that drug is in your system at that very moment.

I’m not an immunologist, but my understanding is that for it’s better to get the shot while not actively immunosuppressed. People in this very topic have had doctors take them off certain drugs for a week or two to give the immune system a chance to train up before medication tamps it down again. The point is, talk to your doctor about it, don’t be content to wait till you feel like you check the boxes just right.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 16, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I’m not an immunologist, but my understanding is that for it’s better to get the shot while not actively immunosuppressed. People in this very topic have had doctors take them off certain drugs for a week or two to give the immune system a chance to train up before medication tamps it down again. The point is, talk to your doctor about it, don’t be content to wait till you feel like you check the boxes just right.

This is what they were recommending in the first round so it seems like there's a decent chance that the doctor might prescribe a pre-immunosuppressant booster if asked.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine from my hometown, and found out she was unvaxxed. This girl took my virginity eons ago in 2005 and we've fallen in and out of touch several times over the years. Now we're back in touch and I was able to convince her to get vaccinated! She was surrounded by so much fear and disinformation that she was more scared of getting sick from the vaccine than she was of getting covid, and she doesn't have the science literacy to understand good information from bad information, not to mention being surrounded by chuds 24/7 being in West Georgia.

This owns

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Thanks everyone.

The Doctor says she should get it before starting her new meds. We can get it from the local Safeway pending her approval getting to the pharmacy.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Stickman posted:

This is what they were recommending in the first round so it seems like there's a decent chance that the doctor might prescribe a pre-immunosuppressant booster if asked.

Yeah, I would ask about this for sure. Depending on the immunosuppressant in question and the dose, boosters might be completely ineffective if her immune system is totally trashed (I know I wasn't able to get my 3rd dose until my prednisone dose was under 15mg, but for us 3rd doses are a public health thing so it's not like walking into a pharmacy).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

enki42 posted:

Yeah, I would ask about this for sure. Depending on the immunosuppressant in question and the dose, boosters might be completely ineffective if her immune system is totally trashed (I know I wasn't able to get my 3rd dose until my prednisone dose was under 15mg, but for us 3rd doses are a public health thing so it's not like walking into a pharmacy).

Its pretty much this exact situation. She has to complete a taper on her prednisone and then in between that and the new meds get a shot.

At least she's getting off the prednisone.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 17, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tagesschau posted:

I'm perfectly happy to to wear an N95 in a situation where masks are required for everyone. However, if I'm in a store where nobody's required to be masked, and maybe 5-10% of people actually are, and I choose to switch to an EHMR with better filters, the fact that I'm wearing a mask with an unfiltered exhalation valve is really not the problem in that scenario.
That's your prerogative, but I think source control is good, even when it's protecting people I disagree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

SubG posted:

That's your prerogative, but I think source control is good, even when it's protecting people I disagree with.

Did you N95s during flu season before COVID? Cause the breath of a vaccinated person who wears a respirator whenever they go outside their home has to be less of a risk to other people than the average person during flu season. Probably even outside of flu season. A half-mask respirator is source control through not becoming a source. They're cheaper, more comfortable (may vary person to person), better for the environment (probably), and provide more protection for the wearer. In the scenario you quoted I'd say the higher protection is more relevant than 1 person having their breath filtered. In that kind of environment it's like pissing in the ocean; might as well maximally protect yourself cause you aren't affecting the environment. That N95s filter your breath more is a benefit, but acting like that makes it strictly superior and implying that the half-mask is an immoral choice is wrong IMO.