Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I figured we should have a thread of places for people to go and find stuff they are looking for.

Obviously local flea markets and yard sales are great. I have been mostly unimpressed with facebook marketplace, all of it seems overpriced. Occasionally, i see thinks that might be ok deals.

However, I didn't know if people knew that goodwill does auction online.

also suggest local places to go for stuff.

For instance:

Store:Emporium of Retro and Interesting Collectables
What do they sell?: Retro video games, dvds, action figures, and comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am big on yard sales and rummage sales yeah, that's where I get a lot of stuff, especially church and school rummage sales.

covid has completely obliterated that poo poo though

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Estate sales never stop. I live outside NYC but always go to Northern New Jersey to scrounge around mansions for deals.

https://www.estatesales.net/

Also some are just full of stuff. Like check this one out. If I didn't have plans this weekend I'd be all over that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bo-Pepper posted:

Estate sales never stop. I live outside NYC but always go to Northern New Jersey to scrounge around mansions for deals.

Also some are just full of stuff. Like check this one out. If I didn't have plans this weekend I'd be all over that.

Oh man, I am going to have fun looking at this stuff.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Bo-Pepper posted:

my rule of thumb is if i see wood paneling in the house photos then the sale is gonna have The Good Stuff

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Don't be afraid of pawn shops. Yes, pricing is usually terrible, but if you know what you want, and they don't know what they have, you can get killer deals. Most of them use an online tool for pricing, so if there isn't an exact match they have to come up with their own price. Two weeks back I bought a Jackson Soloist guitar for $90, cleaned it, put on a new set of strings, and sold it for $280 after fees & shipping. BUT the same shop was trying to sell a $800MSRP guitar for $2700, the difference being their computer "new" what the $800 one was and the Jackson wasn't in the list.

I've also always been a visitor to the regular places; Goodwill, Salvation Army, St Vincent De Paul, and any other thrift shop I run across. I don't hit many rummage sales, but my dad will keep an eye out for stuff he thinks I might want.

Growing up my dad would "drag" me to "antique" auctions three times a week at two different places. "Drag" because I loved going, "antique" because it was normally just generic stuff. Might be an estate type one night, actual antiques, the contents of someone's storage shed or attic, etc. Never knew what you would get. I have a pretty nice collection of 50s and 60s Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Mechanics Illustrated as a result. The nights would usually end with the auctioneer selling a full table of stuff for a few bucks. The whole poo poo for one money as one auctioneer put it. Then my dad and I would stuff his van full. The next day or two would be going through everything, saving some, tossing some in the trash, and rearranging the rest for a trip back through the auction. Somehow mom put up with it, but my dad was making a few hundred bucks a month. Too bad all of those auctions are gone now. One auctioneer went back to Sicily to hide from the IRS, his replacement had a heart attack, as did the guy from the other location.

One thing my dad does now is to volunteer to clean out houses. Say someone died, someone got evicted, or even just moved out of a place, he'll go in and remove everything with a few other people. It's kind of scummy when you really think about some of the circumstances, but everything is probably going to go to the landfill otherwise. And if he finds something like a photo album he tries to find a relative to pass it on. He also didn't snitch on the person that went to prison for bank robbery when he found their stash.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://www.collectorsweekly.com has bar none the best catalogue of collectable items I've found. Everything is neatly collated and they even give you a nice selection of eBay listings in the category, organized by the number of people Watching by default and you can change the sorting to your own needs. Found some good stuff for my collection just popping on to the site once in a while.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you're around the DMV area (or, lately, San Diego I guess?) Rasmus Auctions can be a good supply of assorted garbage from estate and business cleanouts. Everything starts as penny auctions and they rarely bother properly ID the stuff, so in the past you could get some truly absurd bargains (~$150 for a $5000 inverter welder, another $50 for a literal truckload of welding rod, $200 for a inlaid 17th-century musket). In the last few months that's dried up significantly as I guess covid drives more people who know what they're looking at to online auctions, but if you're willing to wait it still beats Ebay.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 13, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Oh man, I am going to have fun looking at this stuff.

Just want to report that I got a Secret Wars 8 because of this thread.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you're around the DMV area (or, lately, San Diego I guess?) Rasmus Auctions can be a good supply of assorted garbage from estate and business cleanouts. Everything starts as penny auctions and they rarely bother properly ID the stuff, so in the past you could get some truly absurd bargains (~$150 for a $5000 inverter welder, another $50 for a literal truckload of welding rod, $200 for a inlaid 17th-century musket). In the last few months that's dried up significantly as I guess covid drives more people who know what they're looking at to online auctions, but if you're willing to wait it still beats Ebay.

I’m gonna bid online for some junk at one of these auctions. Does it work like eBay where my max bid is blind and I only pay an increment above the last higher bid? Wondering if I should just bid now even though the auction ends in a few days, or whether I can save money by bidding at the last second. I’ve never actually bid online at an auction that’s also taking place in person.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

kreeningsons posted:

I’m gonna bid online for some junk at one of these auctions. Does it work like eBay where my max bid is blind and I only pay an increment above the last higher bid? Wondering if I should just bid now even though the auction ends in a few days, or whether I can save money by bidding at the last second. I’ve never actually bid online at an auction that’s also taking place in person.

These particular ones aren't in-person, it works like eBay minus shipping. As lots start to close smaller auctions like these get a little nuttier than eBay though; every time lots start closing you'll get people who got way too emotionally invested in some old stage lamp or pile of lumber or whatever when it was $.20 all week and are now bidding many times what it could conceivably be worth, and other legitimately valuable lots that nobody else will even put $ .20 on cause it looks like a pain in the rear end to haul/don't know what it is/it's too unlike the other stuff in the auction for whatever specialty flippers need every penny of their kids' college fund to win that old stage lamp

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

These particular ones aren't in-person, it works like eBay minus shipping. As lots start to close smaller auctions like these get a little nuttier than eBay though; every time lots start closing you'll get people who got way too emotionally invested in some old stage lamp or pile of lumber or whatever when it was $.20 all week and are now bidding many times what it could conceivably be worth, and other legitimately valuable lots that nobody else will even put $ .20 on cause it looks like a pain in the rear end to haul/don't know what it is/it's too unlike the other stuff in the auction for whatever specialty flippers need every penny of their kids' college fund to win that old stage lamp

Ah I see. I’ll still probably try to snipe the auction but won’t worry about getting it down to the last second.

I’ve seen some nutty stuff at smaller auctions like that in the past, like people paying four figures for some unremarkable paperweight.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Check your state/muni surplus auction websites, you can buy anything from firetrucks to filecabinets. Never buy a cheap filecabinet when you can get a steelcase cabinet for $5 and the cost of gas, I think they end up throwing out most of them. I picked up enough 2x'4' light fixtures for a very well lit 2.5 car garage for $12, then a motorized cord reel with 100' of 4c-12 for my welder for the price of the crappy harbor freight 16ga reel.

The estate sale website is much appreciated, most of my good hand tools were picked up at estate sales.

I'm also a fan of https://www.surpluscenter.com for my industrial odds and ends, they have a huge selection of hydraulic components. They have stuff like this show up occasionally https://www.surpluscenter.com/New-Arrivals/Robotic-Arm-Assembly-5-1931.axd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I just got a bunch of stuff off here: https://www.auctionninja.com/ I will report back if its legit.