Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while true it is hard to deny that ibm is the real open source powerhouse, no one does more.

what does ibm even do anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

what does ibm even do anymore?

they own redhat

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

they own redhat

I did not know that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

I did not know that.

gnome getting renamed Lotus Visual Desktop next release fyi

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

you can't like own linux man

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they sold everything lotus to hcl

and most of the rational stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kernel Sanders posted:

it’s coke for european cto’s

even more so than cocaine?

while true it is hard to deny that ibm is the real open source powerhouse, no one does more.

i have been legit surprised by how much crap intel has released lately actually

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i have been legit surprised by how much crap intel has released lately actually

intel has always been genuinely great on open standards and open source. look back to usb for a lot of really heavy lifting from intel, both in open specifications, hardware implementations released for free, and support for the linux implementation. and that was at a time where they were extremely dominant, and smaller competitors pushed weird proprietary stuff.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they really should do this lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

make the default gnome password control show hieroglyphics

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

intel has always been genuinely great on open standards and open source. look back to usb for a lot of really heavy lifting from intel, both in open specifications, hardware implementations released for free, and support for the linux implementation. and that was at a time where they were extremely dominant, and smaller competitors pushed weird proprietary stuff.

makes perfect sense if they're a hardware monopoly that doesn't want to divide a lucrative pie with a software monopoly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they even have a full distro, clear linux, which is actually pretty good? i found out about it when i was compiling a newer mesa for my chromebook like a year ago (and was surprised to find the iris driver was donated)

only thing preventing me from using it really was because i'm a baby that needs apt

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/jsnover/status/1523010444570419200

Unfortunately they somehow ended up changing their minds.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol quoting Peter Thiel
https://twitter.com/jsnover/status/1522931856009687041

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mystes posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jsnover/status/1523010444570419200

Unfortunately they somehow ended up changing their minds.

he voluntarily took a demotion because he didn’t want to work on what he was assigned to work on. instead making objectively the worst scripting language the world has ever seen

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

akadajet posted:

he voluntarily took a demotion because he didn’t want to work on what he was assigned to work on. instead making objectively the worst scripting language the world has ever seen

javascript was made by brendan eich, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

what does that even mean anyway lmao

"future leaders" are almost invariably the ones insufferable enough to fire people for being genuinely courageous because they always think they're right. he just sounds butthurt about being insubordinate

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

javascript was made by brendan eich, op

a javascript repl with .net interop would have been better than powershell

mystes
May 31, 2006

PowerShell is kind of "Awful Taste But Great Execution" of a .net unix shell

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mystes posted:

powershell: the language of choice for those who eat rear end

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

it’s pronounced powers hell

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
powershell should just have been the immediate window from visual studio

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

powershell: the language of choice for those who eat rear end

🤔

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echi pondering a change in career to windows sysadmin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m hungry for a career change

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

make the default gnome password control show hieroglyphics

lmfao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

yeah. i have never enjoyed using it but still think it is a real good take on this stuff. i can specifically imagine that it is extremely well suited to one of its purposes, being the platform for little commandline dsl's for like exchange and azure,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

using WSL + mingw i compiled busybox for windows and lol holy moly this blurs the line between using the two even more

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

using WSL + mingw i compiled busybox for windows and lol holy moly this blurs the line between using the two even more

why do you need mingw with wsl?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

akadajet posted:

why do you need mingw with wsl?

:shrug:

same reason i use wine on wsl, because it's neat to try

also it helps to have a fully posix-ish toolchain instead of visual studio

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Beeftweeter posted:

:shrug:

same reason i use wine on wsl, because it's neat to try

also it helps to have a fully posix-ish toolchain instead of visual studio

that is what I use Cygwin in path for

Mingw is better though if you want something redistributable, even if you need a ton of dlls if you're using Cairo or whatever

e: it's fun to run cmd and start typing in posix commands and running linux-native things

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Private Speech posted:

that is what I use Cygwin in path for

Mingw is better though if you want something redistributable, even if you need a ton of dlls if you're using Cairo or whatever

e: it's fun to run cmd and start typing in posix commands and running linux-native things

cygwin requires the same thing (external libraries) though? and cygwin sucks rear end compared to wsl?

i tried using winelib and winegcc too but i couldn't ever figure out how to get them to work properly

agreed on that last point though. that's why i tried busybox

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Beeftweeter posted:

i tried using winelib and winegcc too but i couldn't ever figure out how to get them to work properly

agreed on that last point though. that's why i tried busybox

oh yeah that's obviously alongside wsl/vms, cygwin's just for the windows command line bit

quote:

cygwin requires the same thing (external libraries) though? and cygwin sucks rear end compared to wsl?

I didn't mean Cygwin is better, I meant Cygwin is worse for redistribution/as a compilation environment, might be talking a bit past each other

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 9, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I read this as some kind of wonderful, terrifying DEC/Microsoft hybrid monstrosity and now I want it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I read this as some kind of wonderful, terrifying DEC/Microsoft hybrid monstrosity and now I want it

windows nt already is that dec/microsoft hybrid

e: also everyone admitting to using non-wsl gcc on windows in 2022 is a disgusting deviant

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

windows nt already is that dec/microsoft hybrid

e: also everyone admitting to using non-wsl gcc on windows in 2022 is a disgusting deviant

xenix literally ran on VAX

also what about the version of clang that comes with VS :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Private Speech posted:

oh yeah that's obviously alongside wsl/vms, cygwin's just for the windows command line bit

I didn't mean Cygwin is better, I meant Cygwin is worse for redistribution/as a compilation environment, might be talking a bit past each other

lol, use busybox as your cmd interpreter and just call gcc directly or just use wsl + mingw or some clangy equivalent

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, use busybox as your cmd interpreter and just call gcc directly or just use wsl + mingw or some clangy equivalent

cygwin has a bunch of precompiled packages and it's quick and easy

YMMV that's just what I've been doing since before WSL became a public thing

again it's for messing about in windows using linux/posix utils, not as a compilation env, I do use WSL or VMs or docker for that

e: busybox is fine and all but it's a bit finnicky and doesn't integrate as well with windows FS, it's fine for compiling things I guess

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 10, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

that's just me though, everyone has their preferences, it works well enough for my needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Didn't realize that the Skype for Business nonsense was still going on
https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1523679587888025604?t=sxW2V1vHTTiMy7pxPSRV6g&s=19