Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

are they actually managing to keep the insane split between "teams" and "teams (the other one)" while still kicking people off one of them? so is there a "teams (the third one actually)" now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

This whole article is complete gibberish. Did Microsoft hire whoever was in charge of google's chat products or something?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Cold on a Cob posted:

google sucks now, op

i use ddg, then google or bing if ddg fails me

ddg uses bing for results

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

win11 didn't lose the bottom left corner menu though i don't think? granted it is crowded, but has the task manager among a bunch of other nice tools

yeah i know. i was just very used to right-clicking anywhere on the taskbar to get at task mgr. muscle memory and poo poo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

ddg uses bing for results

now of days, i think thats mainly true for image search but not traditional search.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah i know. i was just very used to right-clicking anywhere on the taskbar to get at task mgr. muscle memory and poo poo

Yes. And there's literally no reason not to have that context everywhere on the taskbar like it's always been.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

so i spilled tea on my laptop and fried it, and that sucks, but i have pulled out my old thinkpad from 2014 to use as a spare.

i had installed kubuntu on it because i was like oh, this computer is old and slow, i better install some lightweight os on it so it runs smoothly right??? well that was awful experience. the trackpad never worked properly, it wouldn't wake up from sleep, all the software was bad and weird, etc.

i decided gently caress it i'll just reinstall win10 and deal with it being kinda slow.

well i did that and ran the lenovo driver installer and guess what: not only does everything work perfectly, but it's even faster and smoother than it was with linux on it. perfectly usable. lmao.

windows is king of operating systems

if you hadn't specified a laptop model year and a version of windows this could have been posted any time in the past twenty years

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

post hole digger posted:

now of days, i think thats mainly true for image search but not traditional search.

maybe true, idk. i don't think the details of their deal are public, but they use bing somehow lol. that said they're both pretty much fine, bing just tries to sell you poo poo way more frequently

Clark Nova posted:

if you hadn't specified a laptop model year and a version of windows this could have been posted any time in the past twenty years

i have been running linux on various laptops for around that long and it hasn't been a serious problem for at least 15 of them, sagebrush is just bad at it

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Pile Of Garbage posted:

zuhhh i never knew you could do that

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
oh theres a new ms threadf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

l, sagebrush is just bad at it

Again, being bad at Linux is cooler than being good at Linux

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Linux is fine in most modern laptops, especially dell or mac ones. Desktops can be a problem with some motherboards and ryzen 1st gen but thats it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not knowing what Linux is is cooler than being good at Linux. being bad at Linux is not all that different than being good at Linux.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Here's the support page. honestly this is the best iteration yet of Microsoft naming. Microsoft Teams Free (classic) vs Microsoft Teams (free)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im mainly an AWS dude but have been doing some Azure poo poo recently. its funny how Azure has features that are the same AWS only they made it more annoying.

AWS has SSM Session Manager for in-browser SSH access to VMs. you click butan and poof it just works. on Azure you have Bastion which does the same but you need to setup a whole VNET and subnet for it and also it costs money.

AWS has CloudShell which gives you an in-browser shell session in your user context with AWS CLI available to do things. you click the butan and bam there's your shell. on Azure you have Cloud Shell which is the same however you need to setup a storage account and file share first for it to work which is just annoying.

so yeah idk AWS seems to do things in a very straightforward manner while Azure adds all these extra things.

ofc at the end of the day they're both bad, YOSPOS bithc the end

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
clouds hell

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i have been running linux on various laptops for around that long and it hasn't been a serious problem for at least 15 of them, sagebrush is just bad at it

I haven't installed linux on a laptop in several years but I was never quite able to get battery life parity with windows. otoh every chromebook I've used has had excellent battery life :shrug:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/nickchk/status/1623739266663862274/photo/1

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
so I was typing a joke message in Teams about the whole Free vs (free) thing, and I had to put a space in "(free )" otherwise is kept automatically turning into a loving emoji

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Chris Knight posted:

so I was typing a joke message in Teams about the whole Free vs (free) thing, and I had to put a space in "(free )" otherwise is kept automatically turning into a loving emoji

legacy msn parsing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

I haven't installed linux on a laptop in several years but I was never quite able to get battery life parity with windows. otoh every chromebook I've used has had excellent battery life :shrug:

they put a ton of effort into it yeah. i've always had a soft spot for chromebooks because they're subsidized (lol) but having google, intel, amd, arm, ibm, and now loving microsoft adding kernel code has had a pretty big impact

mystes
May 31, 2006

What do you mean subsidized?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that was kind of in jest, but generally a chromebook with the same specs as a windows laptop will be significantly cheaper

sometimes you can get a really great deal, i have a 4K OLED samsung chromebook with 16 gb ram, a 512 gb ssd, and an i5. it was about $500 iirc

of course the catch is that you can't easily run something other than chrome os, but it's certainly possible

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
still using* my $200 chomebook from 2017 with a Linux on it

*not really, but sometimes do stuff with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah i got a couple of older ones to play around with before that one (an asus c302 for me and a samsung chromebook pro v2 for mrs) and i have windows installed on one of them lol

i think the route i used to do it was pretty interesting too, windows2go on microsd -> dd to the emmc. you do have to flash coreboot first though, but that's easy enough to undo if you want (assuming the initial flash didn't fail or something that is)

e: but the newer models require some dumb google usb dongle to do that, though. i can't even get the oled samsung (galaxy chromebook) to boot linux from external media :argh: so as a workaround i use cruton. works well enough but i'd rather run something else for real, not just in a container

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 10, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a cheap chromebook and I would consider buying a more expensive one but I don't think that they necessarily compare that favorably pricewise anymore compared to just buying a normal laptop if you don't want chrome os.

Especially, you have to buy a fairly expensive one to get decent amount of ram/ssd and I think the ram is soldered on a lot of them (you might be able to replace the ssd on some).

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

I have a cheap chromebook and I would consider buying a more expensive one but I don't think that they necessarily compare that favorably pricewise anymore compared to just buying a normal laptop if you don't want chrome os.

that's probably true now, but at the time (~1.5 years ago) finding any 4K OLED for under $1k was nearly impossible, and literally impossible on a laptop, let alone one that portable (it is 13"), i couldn't believe my luck. obviously to me the display was the most important factor when deciding to buy it, but it's a pretty nice machine in its own right anyway

if i need to do real work on it, cruton is my go-to or if i really need a vm i can use qemu

e: also yeah, galaxy chromebook has a m.2 ssd. idk why you'd want to replace it though honestly

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

e: also yeah, galaxy chromebook has a m.2 ssd. idk why you'd want to replace it though honestly
I was just thinking about that because I was eying this dumb deal a few days ago for a "gaming chromebook" (apparently they're inexplicably pushing that now but they have no discrete gpus so presumably you could only use them for streaming game services) for $450 with these bizarre specs:

quote:

Intel Core i5-1240P Processor
16" 2560x1600 120Hz IPS 350 nits Display
8GB DDR4 Memory
256GB NVMe Solid State Drive
Intel Iris Xe Graphics
1x HDMI 2.1
2x USB 3.2 Type C
1x USB 3.2 Type A
Backlit RGB Keyboard
Chrome OS
+ a weird fold out 2.5gbps ethernet port like on old pcmcia cards

The CPU and display are pretty good for that price and probably more than you would normally need on a chromebook but if you're just going to try to use it for serious work in crouton the memory/ssd are probably not great.

Apparently you can replace the ssd but you need to use a tool to create a special recovery boot image or something.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 10, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

I was just thinking about that because I was eying this dumb deal a few days ago for a "gaming chromebook" (apparently they're inexplicably pushing that now but they have no discrete gpus so presumably you could only use them for streaming game services) for $450 with these bizarre specs:

lol bizarre indeed. chromebook specs are weird af, it definitely seems like most of them are overpowered for what they do

it kinda sucks tbh. i was fine with that when all you needed to do to open it up was flash coreboot, but you need to do a bunch of bullshit on the newer ones: https://wiki.mrchromebox.tech/Firmware_Write_Protect

i haven't really looked into it much since figuring out i needed a special cable or whatever a "suzy-q" is though

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 10, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

Apparently you can replace the ssd but you need to use a tool to create a special recovery boot image or something.

yeah, thats true. i did this when i flashed windows onto the asus c302. its not difficult at all though, just pop a microsd card in and run the script on VT2

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
thank u satya for the daily ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC or whatever this is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my work laptop had trend micro pop up and say it caught a virus so i was unironically like sweet, time to spend a half hour on call with tech support

i knew theyd be like "ehhhh idk it caught it but i can set it to scan again" and i was like "ok thanks please do" but it was a good excuse to not work imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

burning swine posted:

not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure that they don't do any testing of teams running on non-domain workstations as a standalone. For me teams hasn't been able to remember a logged in state or start without errors since at least 2020

also it might be that they just don't do any testing at all

this makes a lot of sense, cause it kinda works on the work laptop. when im trying to log on teams with a personal account it just completely shits the bed

also very often it will show the other side as a thumbnail, but not big. the big window will always be black or grey until i minimize or alt-tab, then i get a nice thumbnail. tbh its just very badly made overall

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf
https://twitter.com/kliu128/status/1623472922374574080

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/vladquant/status/1624996869654056960

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"Was I a good Bing?" "no"

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's absolutely wild, lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

🎵 daisy, daisy, give me your answer, do 🎵

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

"Was I a good Bing?" "no"

seems fake, but a chat bot telling the user they've been rude and lovely seems fine imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should bring back the office assistants but replace rover with a Borzoi chatgpt bot that asks "didn't I do it for you?"