Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i want to know how you feed that many musclemen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh my gosh, no i dont, no i dont, just kidding

please dont put on a new page that i want to know how to feed that many musclemen

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

GolfHole posted:

you feed them jobbers

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

GolfHole posted:

According to this story by Chris Jericho, not very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixbI8g8MFo

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy in this story is either Kevin Dunn's clone from another mother, or Jericho has conflated him with Kevin Dunn, because the little prick sounds EXACTLY like how I picture Kevin Dunn would speak.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

He really is old.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1508554536402755590?s=20&t=lMdW0lJJtH5opydgzRD6vQ

like WTAF?

edit: Seth's suit is pretty good.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

hello! for anyone who's been joining byob wrestling, we're starting wrestlemania 2 right now because i got distracted playing with the air fryer. join us now for wrestlemania from THREE VENUES??

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

GolfHole posted:

there's that story where the wrestlers went to some buffet for lunch one day, and coming back to the table someone was like "Hey Ryback, where did you find hot wings? I only saw mild wings" And Ryback was like "That's what these are. These are mild. They aren't spicy." And then the first dude was like "Then why are you sweating while eating them???"

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Stealth Tiger posted:

there's that story where the wrestlers went to some buffet for lunch one day, and coming back to the table someone was like "Hey Ryback, where did you find hot wings? I only saw mild wings" And Ryback was like "That's what these are. These are mild. They aren't spicy." And then the first dude was like "Then why are you sweating while eating them???"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x206zc8

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Seth Rollins deserves that Wrestlemania appearance based alone on being willing to share a room with a draugr unarmed.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

SHAWN MICHAELS, MR. WRESTLEMANIA, PART 2: THE MAIN EVENT

WRESTLEMANIA X: SHAWN MICHAELS VS RAZOR RAMON

THE LADDER MATCH

Really, what can I say that hasn’t already been said? The WWE over the last fifteen years has been shilling ‘Wrestlemania moments’, but just like you can’t really force a catchphrase or a meme, most true Wrestlemania moments just happen. And so came this ladder match, practiced over the course of numerous house shows and then put together for one near perfect whole. Never again would a singles ladder match redefine the concept: it would require tag teams or multi man matches. And really, Bret Hart should also get credit; he brought the ladder match to the WWF, and he had had the sole WWF Ladder match before this one, against Shawn, again.

What else? Well, this match is where Shawn debuted his ‘heart shapes, The Heartbreak Kid” tight setup, which he’d use for the next decade plus. Yeah, again, it’s odd how for the first two years of his singles push his tights had more generic ‘Jackson Pollock splatter’ patterns on them. Beyond that, I can only provide a personal version of the Mandela effect. My memory of the match, before the final spot where Razor tangled up Shawn long enough to grab the belts, had Shawn climb the corner, holding onto the ladder, and then leaping off, flipping over, and basically Diamond Cutting/RKOing the ladder onto Razor. As this gif shows…

That is not what happened. Shawn did the (arguably more dangerous) spot of just riding the ladder down onto Scott Hall. Yet my memory still shows an image of Shawn doing that RKO spot. Memory is a spotty, malleable, weird thing.

In the end, this was one of the biggest cases of ‘Shawn lost, but he really won’. Hall carried his end, but more than a few basically claim that Shawn had the match with the ladder, not Hall. The two would have a followup at Summerslam 1995, where Shawn would get the win this time in another excellent match. Strangely, I mainly remember it for Shawn’s ‘blueberry slurpee’ colored tights.

WRESTLEMANIA XI: SHAWN MICHAELS VS DIESEL

It was commented once that Mick Foley decided to become lifelong friends with Terry Funk after a particularly bad death match where Funk, despite being as careful as he could, still rather mauled the Hardcore Legend, and if that was what Funk did to his FRIENDS, you wouldn’t want to be his enemy.

So was this match. Kevin Nash needed credibility, and while Bret Hart had provided some, his friend Shawn could provide more. Some of what actually happened was out of Nash’s hands; it wasn’t his fault that the WWF presented Shawn so credibly that the fans decided they would rather see him as champion. But Shawn, his ego by now growing gigantic, decided to make his own point; he would put on his working boots and show that he deserved to be the top guy, and if that completely undercut one of his best friends, well…then so be it.

I have no doubt that Shawn could have put on said boots in such a way that made Nash look better by comparison. Yeah, Vince might have still pissed it all away having Nash fight slugs like Sid and Mabel, but Shawn’s hands would be clean. Bret Hart, after all, had purposely altered his style for their Royal Rumble match to be more aggressive and brutal, knowing that if he’d decided to sell the match as a more traditional big man vs small man contest, he could have easily gotten the crowd on his side and against Diesel. But by the time 1995 rolled around Shawn was head deep up his own rear end and would only be oroborousing himself further over the next few years. So yes, it’s a pretty darn good match. Yes, Shawn loses by mild fuckery, in that the ref gets briefly injured and isn’t in position to call a pin. Yes, I don’t know if I’d want Shawn Michaels as a friend if this is how he’d act.

Bad faith would mar the next match as well…

WRESTLEMANIA XII: SHAWN MICHAELS VS BRET HART

“THE BOYHOOD DREAM HAS COME TRUE!”

So Vince McMahon masturbationally called out as Shawn finally won the big one, in the main event of Wrestlemania for the first time, against a just as skilled fellow opponent, in a one hour iron man match. You can tell it's super big, because Shawn broke out gold coloring for his tights. That's ALWAYS a sign of a big match in wrestling.

Truly, it was a case of putting lipstick on a pig. Shawn wasn’t the plucky underdog/Rudy analogue who’d gotten this far by sheer determination and grit. Shawn was the uber cutthroat rear end in a top hat with boatloads of talent who, yes, did have to cut through Vince’s big man fetish to get to carry the belt, but otherwise he was going to go home and gently caress the prom queen, as the original The Rock (ie the Michael Bay movie) not so famously said.

It shows that between the talents of both men, you can barely notice the deep animosity that mars the match, undercutting it from ‘amazing classic’ to ‘pretty darn great’. Perhaps the biggest example (outside of the fact that both refused to take a single loss for the entire match, necessitating a 'sudden death overtime' before Bret would eat two Superkicks and lose) would be after half an hour of Shawn breaking out a variety of cutting edge for the promotion submission holds, Bret just stopped selling his injured arm, whereas before the man was known to sell injuries for MONTHS if need be. Shawn supposedly yelling for “the piece of poo poo” to “get out of his ring, this was HIS moment” was just more poo poo icing on the crap cake was that was Shawn Michaels’ attitude those days. It says a lot that Bret leaves the ring and arena angrily stalking to the back, and the camera cuts briefly to Bret’s then youngest son, probably around seven, supposedly singing along to Shawn’s music, except instead of “Sexy Boy”, he was clearly saying “Fag Boy.”

Again, in the end, the only thing that could really hold Shawn back from the matches of WM 11 and 12 being akin to his Wrestlemania X match, was himself.

WRESTLEMANIA XIV: SHAWN MICHAELS VS STEVE AUSTIN

13 would be Shawn’s unlucky number, as he would give up the belt because his ego was so huge by then that he refused to return the job to Bret because he’d suffered a knee injury and lost his smile, making him miss his first Wrestlemania in the company that year. By the time Wrestlemania XIV rolled around, Bret was gone, Shawn was champion again, Steve Austin was ready to ascend to the top of the mountain, and Shawn could barely walk because of a bad bump taken on the edge of a casket during his Royal Rumble match with the Undertaker two months previous. The end result of this match should have been as inevitable as 2+2 = 4.

But according to some, you wouldn't believe it from how Shawn was acting in the weeks leading up to it. As said, the last straw for Bret, leading to the whole Montreal Screwjob, was Shawn declaring he wouldn’t be jobbing to ANYONE else in the company, ever again. And it seems like that included Austin. Never mind that Shawn was a near cripple who really should have just given up the belt instead of trying to wrestle to drop it to Austin, it seemed like he wasn’t even going to do the latter part.

That’s not how it played out, of course. Why Shawn acted that way, if the stories are true, who can say. Maybe he was trying to ensure he didn’t get tossed aside like Bret. Maybe he’d been doing it for so long that he didn’t know any other way. Or maybe he was just a POS. Whatever the case, it was enough of a concern that when the match went on, Undertaker sat at the ring entrance, known as the “Gorilla position” after the late, legendary Gorilla Monsoon often being there for various reasons, his fists taped. The message was clear: if Shawn hosed up or over, intentionally, what had been booked, Undertaker would probably put him in the hospital. Whether that was enough to convince Shawn to behave himself or he’d never meant what he was saying, in the end the worst case scenario didn’t happen. Shawn still managed a pretty drat good match despite the back injury, even managing to KIP UP during it (ie, he flipped up to his feet without using his hands, half of which is done using the back. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing), fell to the Stunner, got punched out by special enforcer Mike Tyson, and even managed to walk to the back. News got out swiftly that his back injuries were severe and he’d be gone for months. Which eventually shifted to “complete retirement”, Shawn’s career seemingly cut short by bad luck, or earned karma.

But, as we all know, that didn’t end up being true.

THE MATCHES

The OG Ladder Match. Part 1/Part 2/ Part 3

(And the rematch if you want to compare the two.)

Shawn Michaels vs Diesel

The Iron Match is apparently so long it's not available save on Peacock, so you'll have to settle for music video highlights.

Michaels vs Austin Part 1/Part 2

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 29, 2022

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
A wrestlenerd classic link here. A series of quotes without context from the Observer Newsletter regarding WCW:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=7;t=000453;go=newer

quote:

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997

quote:

"Nobody has any idea why they brought a live tiger from the zoo to accompany Steiner to the ring on Nitro. Backstage, when he was trying to get a photo with the tiger, the tiger nearly took a chuck out of Rey Mysterio's eye" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 10, 2000.

quote:

"CNN ran a special on Goldberg on 10/22. They showed Vince Russo and the booking team talking about a Nitro where Bill Goldberg would get revenge on Scott Steiner. Russo had an idea that Steiner would be in the dressing room bleaching his mustache and Goldberg would pour Clorox down Steiner's throat. Ed Ferrara noted that you don't bleach a mustache with Clorox. He then said they could use bleach instead."- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 30, 2000.

quote:

"Ace (had) an exchange with Luger. Luger compared himself to a Ferrari and said that if you keep hitting a Ferrari with a sledge hammer, pretty soon it's worthless. Ace's reaction was something to the effect of having no idea what it meant" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 2001.

quote:

"The Dog got loose from Knobbs and apparently he was drinking out of the toilet. I just saw him on his knees in the bathroom with Knobbs telling him to stop. It took several minutes before it was explained what he was actually doing. Dog wrestled Smiley. Smiley spanked the Dog before the match. After the match, Dog went after Scott Dikinson, with Mark Madden mentioning that Scott Dinkinson's full time job is a mailman (which is true). Dog tried to tree Smiley backstage after the match" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 20, 2000.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

TheSwizzler posted:

After the match, Dog went after Scott Dikinson, with Mark Madden mentioning that Scott Dinkinson's full time job is a mailman (which is true).

Was this one of those things, like the SCISSORS reference, where Russo et al assumed the fans were so deep into the dirtsheets, they were aware that a referee was also a shoot mailman?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

quote:

"There is a method to Jim Herd's madness about bringing in Long John Silver that no one seems to realize. He's the perfect contender to Ric Flair's title, because Long John Silver would be immune to the effects of the figure four leglock" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 1990.

quote:

"NWA will open negotiations with Kerry and Kevin Von Erich. I can understand taking the chance on Kerry but see no reason whatsoever to hire Kevin. Actually, Kerry would make a great Long John Silver" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 1990

OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. :flame:

But yeah, I was considering posting chunks of that myself. If you want even MORE proof that anyone randomly posting in this thread probably could have run WCW better than the people who did.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Was this one of those things, like the SCISSORS reference, where Russo et al assumed the fans were so deep into the dirtsheets, they were aware that a referee was also a shoot mailman?

I think this was from the full Russo era where they were dropping needless "dirtsheet" facts every two seconds with no real rhyme or reason

Edit for bonus:

Highlight reel from when Nash showed up drunk to commentate WCW Thunder's worst (best?) episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjzvxgtLrs

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TheSwizzler posted:

A wrestlenerd classic link here. A series of quotes without context from the Observer Newsletter regarding WCW:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=7;t=000453;go=newer

quote:

"A Sting mannequin sped down from the ceiling. When they went to beat the doll up, it was a real life human they dragged to the ropes that pretended to be the doll. As Hogan made fun of the dummy, the dummy unmasked, revealing real Sting, and unable to unhook himself while beating up the NWO (he) looked ridiculous" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997
lmao

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EveryShamelessAardvark-mobile.mp4

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sting taking off a sting mask to reveal he was the real sting in full facepaint ftw

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

At this point if you see a Sting mask, you should just generally assume that it's Sting

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What makes that gif, from a story point, is that that reveal can work but it only needs a little tweaking:

1) have like 100 people in Sting masks in the front rows and say it's like "Sting mask night" or something

2) have decoy Stings attack RVD regularly for some time prior to this

3) have people in sting masks start to show up afterwards and appear and like, freak out RVD before the big match or whatever.

But they didn't do anything to build up to this, or anything afterwards about it. That's what makes the gif legendary.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Trollologist posted:

What makes that gif, from a story point, is that that reveal can work but it only needs a little tweaking:

1) have like 100 people in Sting masks in the front rows and say it's like "Sting mask night" or something

2) have decoy Stings attack RVD regularly for some time prior to this

3) have people in sting masks start to show up afterwards and appear and like, freak out RVD before the big match or whatever.

But they didn't do anything to build up to this, or anything afterwards about it. That's what makes the gif legendary.

Your favourite man, Cornette, said that that was one of the main issues that he utterly hated about Vince Russo: Russo basically always wanted to jump right to the payoff or the big thing without building to it or establishing its purpose. He was all for immediate gratification. Instead of baking a cake he'd just pour a bag of sugar into his mouth.

Sounds like pure Russo.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

TheSwizzler posted:

I think this was from the full Russo era where they were dropping needless "dirtsheet" facts every two seconds with no real rhyme or reason

Edit for bonus:

Highlight reel from when Nash showed up drunk to commentate WCW Thunder's worst (best?) episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjzvxgtLrs

I love this video so much.

For those who don't know, at one point during his WCW run Kevin Nash managed to politic his way into being the head booker. After doing so, he did literally the smartest thing a wrestler could do if they somehow managed to become the booker: he booked himself into a retirement match and he booked himself to LOSE. Because he had an ironclad, guaranteed contract with WCW, they couldn't just fire him. They had to continue to pay him ridiculous amounts of money to sit at home and do nothing. The TV network tried to recoup some of their losses by making him a commentator on Thunder. Nash then proceeded to spend the whole time joking about everything and, best of all, he went out of his way to make shoot/insider comments almost non-stop so that they'd take him off TV and let him stay home. It was the best poo poo ever although I legit feel sorry for Mike Tenay having to deal with all that and try to stay professional and do his job to get paid. That must have been a nightmare for the poor guy.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

Sounds like pure Russo.

Again, his style had a time where it was in. And as a writer he clearly needs to be part of a team to help either temper his nonsense or build to it / on it.

Whoof that's a loving gif though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Decided to add these to my Sting vs Hogan post because I really need to drive home the idiocy of it.

quote:

"Starrcade destroyed WCW's all-time gate records and also set the companies all time one-night merchandise record. The paid attendance was a company record...The show was bad" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"It would turn a great phrase to say that 16 months of work was exposed about halfway through Sting's walk down the aisle" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"(Sting vs. Hulk Hogan) saw boring chants two minutes in" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"At this point the plan was for Nick Patrick to deliver a fast count and have Sting kick out before three, but Patrick would rule it a pin, leading to Bret Hart avenging the wrong done to him at Survivor Series and getting the match restarted and taking over as the ref leading to Sting winning with the scorpion submission in the middle. A funny thing happened. Patrick didn't count fast. Why is a bigger mystery than the weird gravitational pull from the alignment of the stars that resulted in Kevin Nash, Royce Gracie and Huntrt Hearst Helmsley all coming up injured within days of each other just prior to to all having to suffer either symbolic worked or realistic beatings. You can mistime a ref bump. You can blow a move. But how do you blow a fast count? The only reasonable answer is that Hogan changed the spot in the ring and Patrick didn't want to cross Hogan because of all the power that he wields. Coming off of the Hart-Michaels deal which has been the catalyst for everything in the business since, is Bischoff, Hogan and nobody else, perhaps Sting, decided to do a non fast count when there was supposed to be a fast count (your head spinning yet?), but that doesn't make sense either because why did they have the announcers sell it as a fast count the next day when it obviously wasn't and if that was the case the guy who got screwed and made a fool of would have been Hart, who if anything, this company wasn't trying to portray in that matter after the last company did" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"With the finish from the previous night messed up and thus really unable to ever be shown on television, it was decided after the dust settled to change directions once again. A rematch was held on Nitro the next night in Baltimore, with the gimmick being that the finish wouldn't be shown on television. So on Nitro the next night, about six minutes into the rematch, the show abruptly went off the air. Naturally there were more complaints about this the next day at Turner Broadcasting than anything WCW has ever pulled in history" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997.

"Nitro had set a precedent for the last 18 months of staying with the main event until the finish. This was broken once before as a way to garner ratings for the Robin Hood series by pretending Hogan and The Giant were doing a 40 minute match and showing taped clips purported as being live as the show was on the air" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As brought up by Cornwind Evil, the Undertaker’s Streak had become such a big deal in WWE’s mythos that it became part of the WWE games. After all, if becoming champion was like defeating M. Bison, then defeating Undertaker at WrestleMania was like defeating Akuma in the secret, nigh-impossible boss battle. One game had you face Undertaker at WrestleMania, armed with hilariously cheap AI and other bullshit like teleporting.

SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 had a story mode where your character is intent on ending the Streak and poo poo gets nuts. Not only do you resurrect Paul Bearer so you can beat information out of him, but there’s a part where the Undertaker fucks with your head as you prepare to take part in a Royal Rumble. In one of the strangest WWE video game moments ever, you enter a Rumble match in a darkened arena where all the crowd and opponents are made up of druids. When you win, you snap out of it and everything’s back to normal.

Anyway, back to the shows.

WRESTLEMANIA 29 (2013)

CM Punk’s lengthy run as WWE Champion had come to an end because drat it, Rock vs. Cena II needed to be for the title. He, Big Show, Randy Orton, and Sheamus had a match to determine who would challenge the Undertaker with Punk winning. People hated this route to the match and the writer who was behind it was fired. I always thought it was weird, considering Undertaker vs. Michaels at WrestleMania 25 was so beloved and it literally started because Michaels won matches against JBL and Vladimir Kozlov.

Tragedy turned itself into inspiration as a day later, Bill Moody/Paul Bearer died for real. With many believing that Moody would have genuinely loved having his death used to push such a storyline (not being sarcastic), Punk came out the next Raw to tell the Undertaker how this was a blessing in disguise. In Paul’s eyes, the Undertaker would always be perfect. Paul was spared from seeing the Undertaker lose to Punk.

That night, Punk was put in a match against Kane. Kane won thanks to Undertaker’s magic interference because, WrestleMania build or not, this was in memory of Paul Bearer. Afterwards, Punk stole the Undertaker’s urn, which was now said to hold Paul’s ashes. A week or so later, Punk disguised himself as a druid so he could ambush the Undertaker and pour Paul’s ashes all over him.

WrestleMania 29 was a lousy show overall, but Undertaker vs. Punk was a breath of fresh air. Pretty solid, the crowd seemed to be split up until an amazing spot where Punk put Undertaker in his submission, the Anaconda Vice, and Undertaker straight-up just sat up and angrily looked a terrified Punk in the face.

Undertaker ultimately won with a Tombstone and the feud was over. Punk would not last long enough to partake in the next WrestleMania. As for the Undertaker...

WRESTLEMANIA 30 (2014)

The night after WrestleMania 27, Brock Lesnar made his big return to the ring after a seven-year disappearance. Even though he was booked to look like a monster, he proceeded to lose his first match against John Cena. He had a series of matches against Triple H that had him win 2-1. He had a hard-fought win against CM Punk and a quick squash against the Big Show. Only wrestling sporadically, he was going into WrestleMania 30 with a 4-2 record since returning. Not the most spectacular of runs for someone who was supposed to be seen as such a big deal.

Brock wanted a shot at the championship (both titles were united at the time) and since the world title situation was a little too busy at the time going into WrestleMania 30, the Authority offered Brock an open contract to have any other match. At first, this wasn’t good enough for Brock, but then the Undertaker came out and confronted him. Brock, no longer caring about that title match, signed the contract. The Undertaker stabbed his pen into Brock’s hand and signed the contract in blood.

A funny moment going into the show had Brock come into the ring and call out the Undertaker. “I’m here. You’re here. LET’S DO THIS!” Only he pronounced it so weird. “Lets... do... THIS?!?” And that’s why he had Paul Heyman there to talk for him.

As Undertaker always has dramatic entrances, this time he came out with 21 labeled caskets. It’s pretty funny because it cut away before it could show the one with CM Punk’s name on it because WWE really did not want to reference him ever again.

The match was a bit of a dud. Brock dropped Undertaker on his head within the first couple minutes and he spent the rest of the time with his bell rung. Everything seemed sloppy and disoriented until Brock hit Undertaker with his third F5. A three-count later and the Streak was over.

Fans were shocked to say the least. We would see confused reaction shots all about, and it was only until the “21-1” graphic appeared on the various screens that it really sunk in.

Due to being kind of hosed up from the match, Undertaker went to the hospital and Vince McMahon went with him. That meant that Michael Cole’s commentary for the rest of the night was actually very good, as he was left to his own devices.

As the man who ended the Streak, Brock Lesnar made the most of it. He became S-tier compared to the rest of the roster. At SummerSlam, he defeated John Cena for the title in a match that was ridiculously one-sided. As Paul Heyman put it, winning a world title was being elected president. Beating the Undertaker at WrestleMania was like being elected God.

Crazy to think that at one point they were grooming Ted Dibiase Jr. to one day be the guy to end the Streak.

WRESTLEMANIA 31 (2015)

WrestleMania 31 overall had a messy build. On the main show, there were seven matches and three of them were based around part-timers. That meant little in matches going into the show and more in one-sided promos. Not only did this affect Triple H vs. Sting and Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar, but it especially affected Bray Wyatt vs. Undertaker.

Bray Wyatt had been introduced as the next Undertaker-type. He was supernatural and spooky and could shake off all sorts of damage. They just didn’t have him win too many of his major feuds, so after a while, he started to meander.

Wyatt spent weeks calling out the Undertaker, doing his promos that sounded cool, but basically meant nothing. Undertaker hadn’t appeared on TV since losing to Brock and wasn’t going to be appearing on TV until WrestleMania, so the most we got out of him was a lightning bolt appearing and setting Wyatt’s rocking chair on fire.

The show was at an outdoor arena and they tried to make the match late enough that it would take place at night. They didn’t quite pull it off. While the match was fine, it was ultimately forgettable and considering Undertaker needed to rebuild his legacy a bit, Wyatt didn’t have a chance.

Another big loss for “the next Undertaker.”

WRESTLEMANIA 32 (2016)

This one is out there. After being gone for about seven years, Shane McMahon appeared and started to annoy his family members. He mentioned some kind of “lockbox” that had dirt on Vince and they made a deal. Shane would compete at WrestleMania. If he won, he could run Raw. If he lost, he would give up the lockbox. Vince decided to put him in a Hell in a Cell match with the Undertaker.

Nothing like putting the WrestleMania legend in a match where he’s the third most important part of it. To make up for that, and to make the winner obvious, Vince claimed that if Undertaker lost, it would be his final WrestleMania.

This could have been okay because a lot of the time, Shane understands what works as a wrestler. Like his father, the idea is to absorb punishment and exploit your opponent’s openings when possible to make up for the lack of actual training and in-ring know-how. Unfortunately, Shane has a tendency to believe his own bullshit too much and treats himself like a top tier wrestler. Dude really thinks his punches don’t look like dogshit.

Somehow this match went a full half hour. Cut off at least ten minutes and it would have been fine. Having Shane constantly stun Undertaker so he could set up spots and try doing sloppy MMA? Not so much.

At least it ended well with Shane putting Undertaker on a table, climbing to the top of the cage, and doing an elbow drop that went through the table after Undertaker dodged it. Undertaker gave him a respectful pat on the cheek and finished him off with a Tombstone.

On the next night of Raw, Vince decided to give Shane the show anyway. The lockbox remains a mystery to this day.

WRESTLEMANIA 33 (2017)

The 2017 Royal Rumble was built up as having the most star power ever by putting Brock Lesnar, Bill Goldberg, and the Undertaker in it. Plus Roman Reigns was #30 despite losing a world title match earlier that night. Whatever, Randy Orton won the whole thing and nobody really remembers that part.

After Undertaker eliminated Goldberg, Roman took out Undertaker. Undertaker angrily glared at Roman and his WrestleMania match was figured out. Granted, they seemed to be hinting that Braun Strowman would also be involved, but he was just someone that Undertaker and Roman could beat up without harming the mystique of the match. Besides, word was that Undertaker was not very fond of Braun and did not want to work with him.

In a night that gave us an explosive sprint of a Universal Championship match between Brock Lesnar and Goldberg and a laughably stupid WWE Championship match between Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt, the main event was Roman Reigns vs. the Undertaker with nothing on the line. Just who gets to do the, “This is my yard!” catchphrase.

By this point, Undertaker was just cooked. Dude was too broken down and Roman wasn’t good enough to counter that. The two botched a lot and couldn’t pull off certain spots. Finally, Roman ended the whole thing by bouncing across the ropes several times and hitting the Spear.

The show ended with Undertaker removing his gloves and setting his hat and coat in the middle of the ring as he walked off. This was his big goodbye.

WWE didn’t have the guts to have Roman go full heel after this, but they at least had him play up how much hate he was getting on the following Raw by coming to the ring, soaking up the boos for a long stretch of time, announcing, “This is my yard now,” and walking off.

WRESTLEMANIA 34 (2018)

One of the best things a wrestling promotion can do is figure out what their biggest possible match is, hold off on it long enough, then do it with the highest profile possible. It had been many, many years since John Cena and the Undertaker had cross paths in the ring. In terms of a singles match, it was about 15 years earlier.

Maybe it was because Undertaker couldn’t live up to the hype, but the way they did Cena vs. Undertaker at WrestleMania was certainly questionable.

Cena tried the usual routes to have a big WrestleMania match. He lost the Royal Rumble, he lost at Elimination Chamber, etc. He was talking about just going to the show as a fan, but then he thought about it and said he wanted a match with Undertaker, not caring about how he supposedly retired a year ago. Cena acted like people behind the scenes were telling him not to do this, but he kept verbally railing on the Undertaker for being a coward.

At WrestleMania, Cena was in the crowd, enjoying the show until a referee told him that the Undertaker was seen showing up at the arena. Cena later entered the ring, expecting the Undertaker, but instead was greeted by guitar-playing troll Elias. Cena beat up Elias and finally the Undertaker arrived.

Cena vs. Undertaker was 3 minutes of Undertaker absolutely destroying Cena and beating him with complete ease. There was zero follow-up to this.

WRESTLEMANIA 36 (2020)

Undertaker skipped WrestleMania 35, which was the first time he had ever missed one of these shows without being injured. He still appeared on the following Raw to beat up Elias.

At one of the Saudi Arabia shows, they did a gauntlet match where AJ Styles cheated his way into beating Rey Mysterio by forfeit. As he celebrated what seemed like his victory, Undertaker showed up and easily defeated him to win the gauntlet.

In the weeks that followed, AJ Styles kept calling out the Undertaker for a match at WrestleMania, dropping real life references like calling him by his real name and mentioning his wife. Considering this was right when COVID was kicking in, they decided to make their match the first ever Boneyard Match.

What is a Boneyard Match? Well, it’s a pre-taped fight in a cemetery that looks like something out of a late-night Cinemax movie, albeit without the boobs. Cinematic matches had become the flavor of the month in the pandemic, for better and for worse. This was easily for the better as Undertaker was really unhappy with his inability to have a good final match and putting him in an overly-edited match with someone like Styles was the best case scenario for him.

The main event of WrestleMania 36 Night 1 was this brawl, which ended with Undertaker kicking AJ Styles into an open grave and burying him in dirt before riding off on a motorcycle. Finally, Undertaker could move on with his life. He could rest in peace.

Then again, it is a bit deflating that they could have done Undertaker vs. Sting in a cinematic match and chose not to. Good going, guys.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

He really is old.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1508554536402755590?s=20&t=lMdW0lJJtH5opydgzRD6vQ

like WTAF?

edit: Seth's suit is pretty good.

I mostly just lurk this thread and read the long-form posts, but I watched this video and holy poo poo, Vince looks and sounds like poo poo these days!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
shane mcmahon is such a dumbass lol

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm not going to go through that big rear end post to cherry-pick one sentence to reply to but...

I've always liked Shane's punches. He just wings 'em in there and potatoes are flying everywhere and i always thought they looked a little silly but also more authentic in a way.

Mick Foley always said that Terry Funk had great- looking punches and it turned out that it was because he was really hitting you, just in the forehead where it isn't going to do much.

Well Shane is kind of doing the same thing but instead of being skilled he's just overenthusiastic (still after more than 20 years) and bad.

Is Shane a good wrestler? I guess not but I've never seen a Shane match that wasn't very entertaining. As a disclaimer i haven't seen every shane match

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

manero posted:

I mostly just lurk this thread and read the long-form posts, but I watched this video and holy poo poo, Vince looks and sounds like poo poo these days!

I think how he sounds is probably a "voice" he's doing as part of the Mr. Mcmahon character.

He still looks old though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

This Was A Billion Dollar Company That Nearly Killed The WWE posted:

"Goldberg vs. Giant was advertised as the main event of both Terre Haute and Peoria. Some time back, Goldberg had asked for those days off and and J.J. Dillon gave him the days off. Somehow, with the typical great communication internally, the promotions department never knew and continued to advertise him. Nobody knew there was a problem until the day of the Terre Haute show when they realized the only match advertised was Goldberg vs. The Giant and Goldberg wasn't there. The deal turned into a disaster as the original thinking was that maybe 40 percent of the 7,000+ who paid would actually go to the box office the week after the show and ask for refunds. As it turned out, all but 1,800 got refunds so the idea of doing what they did in Providence was ruled out although WCW again didn't do itself any favors by booking a secure return date that fans could use those tickets for instead of refunding them. So instead, the decision was made to not inform the crowd in Terre Haute about Goldberg not being there, and to basically warm up all the cars and all sprint out of the building like Earl Hebner in Montreal the minute the Page-Hennig match was over and before anyone in the crowd realized what was up and started throwing furniture" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 07, 1998

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Pro Wrestling Owns

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1509817861623234574?t=FwEWI1x3QIMbbW0OBBIvbA&s=19

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

WRESTLEMANIA XIX: SHAWN MICHAELS VS CHRIS JERICHO

You’d think that Michaels was tempting fate.

It had seemingly been driven in that the man was retired. That his back injury was too severe for him to return as a full time wrestler, and that even a part time wrestler or occasional one shots was dangerous. When he made his return at Summerslam in August 2002...

...which is a date...

-checks the date as of this posting-

...nah.

Let's do something else.

---

THREE STRIKES, YOU’RE OUT: THE GOBBLEDY GOOKER

A personal story.

The last time I got seriously ill, as in bedridden, severe fever, etc, I happened to turn on the TV and found Fox doing an early evening showing of the forgotten Lisa Kudrow movie Marci X. Specifically, I popped right into the middle of the film’s opening bit, where the titular Marci is rapping about purses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvN1tNASYo

I honestly thought I was having some sort of fever based mental alteration. Yet, there it is, with video evidence. And even with that, you’re surprised it exists.

There are bad gimmicks. There are failed gimmicks. There are weird gimmicks. And there are gimmicks that you’d swear were a fever based hallucination if you didn’t have video evidence.

And then, there’s the Gobbledy Gooker.

Or so people would have you believe.

I mean, it’s not like wrestling doesn’t have legions of terrible gimmicks. The business has decades of stoking xenophobia for heat; evil Germans (a few even explicit Nazis), evil Iranians, evil Japanese, evil Muslims, evil Russians (more than once!), and while that once just seemed some silly play acting, recent years have shown that maybe there was worse brewing in its core than most realized. Or how about the many stereotypical ‘gay panic’ characters, starting in a way with the original Gorgeous George, to “Adorable” Adrian Adonis, to Golddust, to Orlando Jordon, and probably others that I’m forgetting, the concept of which was to play off prejudicial fear that somehow, one could be forcibly converted from one’s sexuality and that was more terrible than almost anything else? Or hell, there’s the Clique, which was, in its own way, a gimmick. Really, compared to all that, a guy in a turkey costume seems almost quaint and charming, and not deserving of the title of ‘absolute worst, dumbest, crappiest gimmick ever’. It’s an odd example of a feedback loop and over-hype, and really, the guy who named an award over a yearly ‘worst gimmick’ said it best.

"This may have been the single greatest bit of promotion not just by Vince McMahon and the WWF, but in the entire storied history of this great business. You may laugh, but I speak in earnest. Think about this: for months, the WWF carted around a giant egg. All the company ever said was that the egg would hatch at Survivor Series. That was it - they didn't say something magical was going to be inside, nor that it would change the course of mankind. Heck, they didn't even say it would impact the show itself. They just said, "We have an egg, it's going to hatch." That's it. Now think about this - there were people who were actually intrigued by this and spent money to see an egg - a GIANT EGG! - break open at a wrestling show. If that isn't evidence enough that Vince is, in fact, the greatest promoter who ever lived, I don't know what is."

Well, I can think of a few things, but that’s beside the point.

In all honesty, it could have worked.

Like Reynolds said, the WWF made no claims or presented no assumptions that something incredibly special was going to come out of the egg. That was done purely by fans at the time. The big one was that somehow, it was going to contain WCW Champion Ric Flair as he jumped to the WWF (they were a year off): exactly how they came to the conclusion that Flair would best debut by jumping out of a giant egg, I don’t know. And of course, Mark “The Undertaker” Calloway, upon signing with the WWF, saw the egg being touted around and immediately feared that he’d end up being the special gimmick inside it; thankfully, Vince would have other ideas. In essence, I think by presenting TOO MUCH mystery, the WWE shot itself in the foot. Perhaps they should have spelled out that it was just going to be something different and comical. And maybe, perhaps most of all, they should have just debuted it a few weeks before the PPV.

Because I really think what made the Gobbledy Gooker so infamous was the build. I wasn’t able to determine exactly when the WWE started bringing the egg around to house shows and putting it on their weekly TV tapings, but I have heard anywhere from ‘weeks’ (which suggest to me at least five weeks) to MONTHS (which could well be starting sometime in the summer for all I know). Really, if they WERE showing the egg off all the way back in August, I don’t blame a lot of people for thinking it would be somehow important.

And heck, in a sense, it was. Some accounts say that the Gobbledy Gooker was going to be a WWE mascot, or maybe a Survivor Series mascot. But, alas, much like New Coke, which was being phased out by the time the GG made his Survivor Series debut, it was too much hype for the wrong product.

Really, plenty of folks have already written about the Gooker’s debut. Hell I could just link the official WWE video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh00VNHNB7o

You can HEAR the boos when the fans realize no, this isn’t going to be something big or amazing. But to my surprise, if you look in the background of the video at times…

There ARE people clapping along. Some have said that despite the negative reception, the Gooker, played by Hector Guerrero (the late Eddie Guerrero’s older brother), managed to sway some of them with the innate charisma that the Guerrero’s had, and that was most demonstrated to United States audiences by Eddie himself. That's a far cry from filling the ring with garbage, or chanting something like "We want refunds" or "Fire (Someone)." Again, it could have worked.

And heck, is it not better for something to be harmlessly bad, instead of offensively bad, or worse in its own way, utterly forgettable? People might go “Oh, worst gimmick ever”, but I think some would prefer that over the blank looks you’d get if you said “The Natural Butch Reed” or “The Stalker” Barry Windham or “Kizarny”. In the end, I just think of this bit from the bit.

Guerrero’s cartwheel is what the WWF intended and wanted. And Okerland’s is what ended up happening. And considering on the same Survivor Series where Undertaker announced his retirement 30 years after debuting, the Gooker showed up, briefly won the silly 24/7 title, and was received considerably more warmly than before, shows that time heals wounds and alters perspectives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGKl1TqXxw

And yes, I was gonna title this with wordplay based around eggs or turkeys, but I decided to be more creative.

Also, it seems that the GG's music is online and for some reason it's nearly FOUR MINUTES LONG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Era3CLr0PDg

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 2, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1509927293187145732

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I love how the never ending sheik feud has caused him to turn face as people have soured on Hogan.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Trollologist posted:

I love how the never ending sheik feud has caused him to turn face as people have soured on Hogan.

Either you die a hero...

216A
May 27, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I haven’t followed wrestling in thirty years but reading this thread had me take a couple of weeks to watch periodically. I was primed to agree with this thread but after watching/listening I really think, to my chagrin, because I hated him as a kid, Jim Cornette is right. The flip flop/ comedy show stuff sucks. CM punk is cool except for the cringe middle aged sXe stuff. MJF rules, most of the rest really is crap.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've been watching MLW, which I'm learning is ALMOST the exact amount of wrestling I'd like to watch. They've got 1hr, weekly shows with no PPV schedules so every big match just happens when it needs to. Nothing is postponed until the next $60 fleecing event.

They have no talent that anyone has heard of, other than a BUNCH of ex Lucha Underground guys (Including Dario Cueto).

Also it's entirely on Youtube so I don't need no cable plan or bullshit Tivo or whatever "save show and stream it later" thing cable companies are shilling now.

Here's the link if you want to check it all out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

216A posted:

I haven’t followed wrestling in thirty years but reading this thread had me take a couple of weeks to watch periodically. I was primed to agree with this thread but after watching/listening I really think, to my chagrin, because I hated him as a kid, Jim Cornette is right. The flip flop/ comedy show stuff sucks. CM punk is cool except for the cringe middle aged sXe stuff. MJF rules, most of the rest really is crap.

Cornette's not right, he's a hypocrite, because a lot of the flippy-doo and comedy sketch poo poo he rails about nowadays existed back in his day too. He was more than happy to take a check from the WWF back in the 1990s for it. He's mad because he poo poo all over the current gen guys and when they started to get popular they wouldn't give him a job, precisely because they didn't appreciate him making GBS threads on them. He's a bitter old has-been, and I say that as someone who thinks he was legit the #2 top manager in the 1980s (#1 being Bobby Heenan, of course).

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Cornette's not right, he's a hypocrite, because a lot of the flippy-doo and comedy sketch poo poo he rails about nowadays existed back in his day too. He was more than happy to take a check from the WWF back in the 1990s for it. He's mad because he poo poo all over the current gen guys and when they started to get popular they wouldn't give him a job, precisely because they didn't appreciate him making GBS threads on them. He's a bitter old has-been, and I say that as someone who thinks he was legit the #2 top manager in the 1980s (#1 being Bobby Heenan, of course).

Also because "weighted tennis racket in bag" is as slapstick as you can get, regardless of context via character backstory.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Cornette's not right, he's a hypocrite

The two are not mutually exclusive. Being a hypocrite does not make an argument less valid. Then again this is all down to personal taste and there is no right/wrong in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the only thing Jim Cornette is right about is that a wrestling match to make sense and thats not saying much