Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A Youtube crafter I follow just posted a video where he explains that this update is much later than usual because an "unmentionable virus" took him out of commission for several weeks. He never says the word c*vid out loud but he incorporates parts of old rapid test kits into the project and at one point a graphic of a familiar virion zooms across the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwxHxwDAVao&t=360s

It's genuinely weird how people refuse to say the word c*vid as if it's Lord Voldemort even when they're talking about catching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

why not both?

(they do nothing to filter out viruses and in fact just take your exhalation and power bomb it into everyone else around you)
Their hand dryers (ubiquitous in public bathrooms) are also great plague vectors. The company is trying to cover as many routes of transmission as they can, I guess

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol a perfect product

quote:

I wasn’t keen on wearing the visor indoors away from home. This doesn’t filter viruses, the specter of covid-19 still looms large, and I didn’t want to make anyone uncomfortable by blowing my breath around the office.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zugzwang posted:

The company is trying to cover as many routes of transmission as they can, I guess

they sold 10,000 ventilators to the UK March 2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52043767 posted:

The firm, headed by British inventor Sir James Dyson, said it had designed a new type of ventilator in response to a call on behalf of the NHS.

The order is still subject to the devices passing stringent medical tests but that is expected to happen quickly.

Dyson has had hundreds of engineers working round the clock to design the ventilators from scratch.

the deal was spiked within a month when they realized Dyson had absolutely no experience designing and building ventilators and was highly unlikely to pass any sort of certification to do it

not as funny as Musk shipping in thousands of CPAP machines but lol the billionaires really saw Spring 2020 as their chance to save humanity

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

they sold 10,000 ventilators to the UK March 2020

the deal was spiked within a month when they realized Dyson had absolutely no experience designing and building ventilators and was highly unlikely to pass any sort of certification to do it
Shouldn't the dude have just personally paid for 10,000 ventilators or whatever if he actually wanted to make a difference?

quote:

not as funny as Musk shipping in thousands of CPAP machines
lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

LMAO

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1652423626531151872?s=46&t=O_6ihmc-D7Z9EEE42NYBYQ

theworstpersonyouknow.jpeg

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fosborb posted:

lmao Dyson hit The Verge, GQ, Toms Hardware and CNET last week

what fukkin year is it this thing has already been roundly mocked and dismissed

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
"The reverse bear trap from Saw will protect me from covid" - tech nerds

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dyson has not made a single good invention since getting rid of vacuum bags

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
if you have a sip valve, keep a spare in your pocket

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

nexous posted:

what’s it like being a crazy person

feels a lot more healthy than everyone around me tbh

I'm like the only person at my work who hasn't been out sick since I started working there. Most were only gone for a day or two so decent chances those were common illnesses but more than a handful have been out for 1-3 weeks at one point or another.

But also I stopped giving a poo poo about what other people think of me in like elementary school and never picked that quality back up since so, understandably, ymmv.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Youtube does nearly all of its content moderation via algorithm, and videos about covid could not be monetized, so youtubers specifically avoid saying covid. While it is unclear whether this is still the case, it probably is. I have definitely seen an automated disclaimer about referring to the CDC for accurate Covid information, on youtube, in this, TYOL 2023.

See also the fact that many youtubers avoid saying certain words such as synonyms for children in order to avoid being listed as child content and having their engagement and monetization stripped out, or how many use abstruse synonyms for 'kill' or 'die' or, especially, 'suicide' to avoid having videos mature-content-gated and demonitized. The platform is a hilarious opaque dystopian cybertech minefield, and that's really the only way it ever could be in our current reality where they're trying to balance billions of hours of content against advertiser dollars.

The reality-straining absurdity of this is all heightened that much further in that I still encounter people mentioning that they're currently or recently sick with some unmentioned disease that's kicking their rear end and making them tired, unfocused, and hurting their voices. It never stops. The plan writ large, to the extent that there's anything resembling a 'plan' at a full-society level here, really is just to soldier on this way with everyone getting sick way more often and being afraid to talk about it the same way people don't talk about their salaries at work for Mysterious Reasons Unrelated To The Contradictions of Capital until life expectancy plateaus. Whether that ends up settling on 75 or 0 is yet unknown; normally I'd be cautiously optimistic and say it'd be somewhere in the upper half, but uh you still got climate change and fascism ramping up too soooooo...

Also, I wanted to say, I like the Work Stoppage podcast, I'm glad for the thread recommendation there, but please God someone let them know audio balancing is a field that exists. I know this is a common problem. I know audio is a mysterious topic, and I personally know very little about it. But please, I only have half a working ear and I'd like to preserve it's limited function in spite of their intro/outro volume. :v: (Normally, I know that even complaining about such a thing half-jokingly would prompt an immediate response of even louder music drops and quieter vocals out of spite, but these gits do seem to actually, like, care about things and stuff, so I will toss my small gripe to the void to be mercifully ignored)

Shady Amish Terror has issued a correction as of 04:53 on May 1, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Steve Yun posted:

if you have a sip valve, keep a spare in your pocket

of all the covid rules, the residual scorn/fear over exhaust valves is the funniest to me

like do they think that the valves turn fresh breath into covid

"no valves" was an approach that made sense for approximately five minutes in mid-2020

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

of all the covid rules, the residual scorn/fear over exhaust valves is the funniest to me

like do they think that the valves turn fresh breath into covid

"no valves" was an approach that made sense for approximately five minutes in mid-2020

I too remember the brief period of time liberals were criticizing valved masks

I also remember them calling respirators "privileged" as if a $40 mask you never replace is a ridiculous expense but buying hundreds of disposable masks is working class, I guess

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My favorite early pandemic mask bullshit was "If you buy n95s you are taking them from healthcare workers!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The initial messaging on masks was incredibly confused and it produced a lot of really hilarious examples of liberals angrily yelling about completely nonsensical bullshit. Twitter slapfights over "medical masks" (ie, N95s that were well stocked at Home loving Depot at every point before 2020) were just... so loving dumb.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
oops turns out healthcare organizations won't supply n95s and the healthcare workers don't want to wear them anyway!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Drake no: Valved N95s
Drake yes: Cloth masks

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There were like a solid 6 months where I had to be like "Im using these masks THAT I ALREADY OWNED BECAUSE IM AN ARTIST WHO NEEDS RESPIRATORS ANYWAY" just so i wouldn't get any weird flack

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

and speaking of masks, not a one to be seen!

https://twitter.com/jimmyoutsold/status/1652737696450609154?s=20

concerts AND public transit! a superspreader combo for the ages!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Youtube does nearly all of its content moderation via algorithm, and videos about covid could not be monetized,

this is the first I’ve heard of this!

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the transformation from Fuddruckers to Buttfuckers has begun.

[COVID] the transformation from Fuddruckers to Buttfuckers has begun.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

this is the first I’ve heard of this!

Sources just to make sure I'm not misremembering.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/4/21164553/youtube-coronavirus-demonetization-sensitive-subjects-advertising-guidelines-revenue

The Verge, Mar 4, 2020 posted:

YouTube has demonetized videos about sensitive subjects in the past. The company’s advertising guidelines state that sensitive topics — usually a recent event with a “loss of life, typically as a result of a pre-planned malicious attack” — are normally not suitable for advertising. These videos are allowed to stay on the platform; they just can’t make money from YouTube’s built-in ad service.

YouTube said that the coronavirus outbreak is now being considered a sensitive topic. “As such, all videos focused on this topic will be demonetized until further notice,” Tom Leung, product officer at YouTube, said in a recent video. The policy exists to protect advertisers.

And on algorithmic moderation:

https://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-moderators-sent-home-pandemic-uptick-2020-2020-8

Business Insider, Aug 26, 2020 posted:

YouTube on Tuesday said it took down a record 11 million videos from the start of April to the end of June, almost twice as many as in the previous quarter.

It said this was because it decided to rely more heavily on its algorithms to remove content during the pandemic, rather than human moderators.

The shift meant more videos were removed erroneously, with YouTube saying it got twice as many appeals about removed videos as usual.

Very recently, they've supposedly brought more human content moderators back, but this is also somewhat at odds with how creators have stated they interact with youtube and its content moderation, ie, the changes to youtube rules about swearing that mass-demonetized videos retroactively.

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/tech/news/youtube-brings-back-human-moderators-after-ai-algorithms-fail-to-deliver-71600749070541.html

I have also heard interviews with former Google and Youtube tech personnel lamenting the companies' over-reliance on algorithmic content moderation and machine learning, especially in the context of how youtube's algorithm keeps promoting hate speech, but for those I'd have to dig up old half-remembered podcasts so I hope you'll understand I'm not as readily able to pull up links lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

blatman posted:

if the choice is to die of plague, or die of embarassment for wearing a helmet from a straight-to-vhs sci fi idk what i'd pick
Reminds me of this:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Also just to be clear for full disclosure, I think most of the sources I used are poo poo, but only in the ineffectual neoliberal sense in which fact-checker orgs argue against their own userbase by trying to claim national rags are vaguely left-leaning instead of vaguely right-leaning (this is an actual thing that came up in google results when I checked the Hindustan Times just because I wasn't familiar with them lol)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Status update: Nobody visibly or audibly ill at the stupid game night, so if any Covid there it was asymptomatic. I might get lucky and not get got. I'll find out in a couple days.

Still feel like a dumbass for caving in the first place.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

hey how’s that schnoz vaxxx coming along? i want it. i need it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/themckenziest/status/1652849354993192960?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maybe she fancies herself as Samson.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

She should go imo

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

toggle posted:

hey how’s that schnoz vaxxx coming along? i want it. i need it.
There was a very good summary of the nasal vaccine research situation on the "Absolutely Maybe" blog. IMO overall it doesn't look promising. For example the recent "Pneucolin" viral vector nasal vaccine trial recently posted efficacy results and the protection from infection as a booster for mRNA vaccinated people was ~10%. At first glance this doesn't seem substantially better from just a standard mRNA booster. I'd take it though.

Maybe there are secondary benefits to mucosal vaccines that aren't obvious just looking at protection against infection, for example improved durability or reduced severity. However they appear to have the same basic problem as the current generation of normal vaccines, where COVID is too infectious and too adept at evolving around immunity for vaccines to reliably prevent infection.

edit: the writer of this blog just posted today that they intend to continue monitoring and summarizing nasal and next-generation/pan-coronavirus vaccine development so it could be a good one to watch.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 11:36 on May 1, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah my elderly friend who caught covid at a local nerd convention recently is still not 100% (he's reportedly "coughing up a lung") but he's testing negative and he immediately started posting photos from out and about. His wife is now showing symptoms but still testing negative (they didn't isolate from each other at all and slept in the same bed every night) but she's at least staying home

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I was basically living in an ICU/cancer ward for 3 months last summer and never caught COVID, your kids are getting infected on purpose

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nominally cases in India have been dropping for the past week.

https://www.bqprime.com/coronavirus-outbreak/covid-cases-12 posted:

Covid-19 Updates: India Reports 4,282 New Coronavirus Cases
The death toll has increased to 5,31,547 with 14 more fatalities, which includes six reconciled by Kerala, the data updated at 8 am showed.

India on Monday reported 4,282 coronavirus infections, while the number of active cases dropped by over 1,750 to stand at 47,246, according to the latest Health Ministry data.

The death toll has increased to 5,31,547 with 14 more fatalities, which includes six reconciled by Kerala, the data updated at 8 am showed.

On Sunday, India had reported 5,874 coronavirus cases, while the number of active cases was 49,015.

The daily positivity rate recorded on Monday was 4.92% while the weekly positivity was pegged at 4.00%.
(..)

These numbers cannot be true, as it cannot be down due to having gone through everyone susceptible, unless the numbers are off by a factor of 10k. I tried to see if testing was still free in India and couldn't find any thing saying "yes it is", so I think the data here are for an extremely narrow (and well off) cohort.

Essentially we are flying blind :shrug:

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

what is the difference between flying and falling

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

what is the difference between flying and falling

Z component of the vector.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Speaking of flying blind. Nominally this article is about the need to build data gathering capabilities, but I found the current status of tracking overview much more interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/30/opinion/pandemic-virus-response.html posted:

Our Covid Data Project Is Over, but the Need for Timely Data Is Not

The four of us spent the last three years immersed in collecting and reporting data on Covid-19 from every corner of the world, building one of the most trusted sources of information on cases and deaths available anywhere. But we stopped in March, not because the pandemic is over (it isn’t), but because much of the vital public health information we need is no longer available.

This is a dangerous turn for public health. The data on cases and deaths is critical for tracking and fighting the coronavirus, which has killed more than 1.1 million people in the United States and nearly 6.9 million worldwide. For the week of April 13 to April 19, 1,160 people were reported to have died from the virus in the United States. This is, in all likelihood, an underestimate.

Unfortunately, nearly all states have stopped frequent public reporting of new cases and deaths, making it difficult to enable us to see how the virus is trending. And the widespread use of at-home tests has meant that most positive results almost never get recorded in public health databases, making it virtually impossible to detect and monitor outbreaks in a timely way.

Three years ago the country’s public health establishment was caught flat-footed by the pandemic, and many lives were lost. There was no national system to monitor the spread of the coronavirus, which is essential to coordinate an effective response. Amazingly, many localities were faxing notifications to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; many still are. And the lack of uniform standards for reporting data prevented accurate and timely tracking of the virus. We were blind.
(..)
But almost as soon as local and state governments amassed the capacities to keep the public informed, we began to see across-the-board declines in the quality and availability of the information they were sharing.
(..)
As of this spring, only seven states continued to publish data on cases and deaths more than once a week.
(..)
As testing data has declined and the public health emergency is about to end, hospitalization data collected and reported by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is the best information available, but it is insufficient to fully track and understand the pandemic because hospitalizations lag several weeks beyond infections.
(..)

Archive link: https://archive.md/nn0ge

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This is an interesting article to me, because I have no doubt that Dr. Nuzzo believes that masks work, but as a lib cannot help herself both-sides'ing the issue and not questioning the motivations of an authority she trusts (e.g. Cochrane). It is sad to see, because she believes this is doing good, but it is actually actively harmful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/30/opinion/masks-pandemic.html posted:

How Well Does Masking Work? And Other Pandemic Questions We Need to Answer.
By Jennifer B. Nuzzo
Dr. Nuzzo is the director of the Pandemic Center at Brown University School of Public Health.

When the coronavirus took off in 2020, the unknowns were immense, as was the urgency. It was clear that the virus was novel, that it was spreading widely and that it was killing many of the people it infected. And there was no vaccine or proven drug treatment. This was the context in which states first mandated masks, issued stay-at-home orders and closed schools, among other measures — an emergency.

But now we should have more data from this pandemic to guide our decisions.

(..)
We should be systematically studying pandemic mitigation efforts in order to ‌learn which interventions are effective and how best to employ them. ‌Just as important: We should ‌‌do so with the understanding that the absence of evidence of effectiveness is not the same as having evidence of ineffectiveness.

Questions about masking‌‌, for example, were recently revived by a Cochrane ‌study reporting that masking (with surgical ones or respirators like N95) makes “little or no difference” in reducing infection at the population level, such as among health care workers or in communities. ‌Some mask opponents‌‌ claim this validates their assertions that masks don’t work. ‌‌Some mask supporters‌ are raising questions about the study’s authors and attempting to discredit their conclusions. Which side is right? ‌

As with most things about th‌e Covid pandemic, the answer is most likely somewhere in between. ‌

(..)
In early 2020, when we knew little about the virus but saw its toll, masks were a reasonable step because they had few harms. Considering the rapid spread of the virus and its deadly impact, we could not wait until we had all the data to understand how best to use them. And if a new, deadly respiratory disease emerged tomorrow, we’d have few tools besides masks to prevent spread and protect ourselves.

But we should have put into place efforts to rapidly collect and assess high-quality data to understand whether masks were having optimal effectiveness and, if not, how to increase that effectiveness. We should have done this for other mitigations, too, like school and business closings and policies that required exposed contacts of cases to quarantine. ‌Pandemic measures like masking and vaccination have been challenged by political leaders and in the courts. Without clear evidence at the population level that mitigation measures meaningfully change transmission rates, it will be harder to meet challenges that could block effective, life‌saving interventions.
(..)
We can and must identify the highest-priority research questions and the funding to systematically and rigorously investigate them.

Consider that the piece is nominally on the side of masking and pandemic control, consider the way this is argued and that her final conclusion is that rigorous study should be conducted. How would you communicate that?

Then consider that the following is all anyone not reading the piece will see:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Graph I stumbled over on Imgur:

Well that explains a few things
:thunk: