Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sniep posted:

i have so much loving TV to rip. like a medium sized amazon box full of full serieses ive got over time and its just

such. a. pain. in. the. rear end. to. rip. tv. episodes. one. by. one.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

i have so much loving TV to rip. like a medium sized amazon box full of full serieses ive got over time and its just

such. a. pain. in. the. rear end. to. rip. tv. episodes. one. by. one.
why not do the same and just rip the whole disc to a VIDEO_TS folder?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i thought i'd had it all figured out and then i found out apple tv 4 supports base hevc and i went through and started all over again

Chris Knight posted:

that's sensible and doesn't satisfy my incredible urge to find the best optimized quality move for my entire library

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The last piece of physical media I owned was a dvd of Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 that I found on the sidewalk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Chris Knight posted:

it's not easily consumable that way.

the filenames need to be structured to be both human and computer readable, with E01S01 type poo poo on tv episodes, and series of movies in order of release by filename etc. it's entirely bespoke hand done

i can't imagine even what would digest just a bulk dump of every title on the discs nonetheless how i'd manually use those files and know what they were, since most of the time there's no indication of which title is even an episode or not other than just intuiting it based on patterns in the file sizes off the disc

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 26, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sniep posted:

the filenames need to be structured to be both human and computer readable, with E01S01 type poo poo on tv episodes, and movies in order of release by filename etc. it's entirely bespoke hand done

i can't imagine even what would digest just a bulk dump of every title on the discs nonetheless how i'd manually use those files and know what they were, since most of the time there's no indication of which title is even an episode or not other than just intuiting it based on patterns in the file sizes off the disc

in a better world this is the sort of problem ml would help with instead of recommending white supremacist videos on youtube.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Don't ask me about my extremely goony teens ripping 100s of CDs without an internet connection and hand entering all the titles and metadata.

Or my current job digitising old city records and doing the same thing...

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXh3modgX8

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's me, I'm the guy buying physical disks in tyool 2022.

not many but a few, because my connection sucks poo poo. I've got to say, they're getting a lot better at using HDR to good effect, Dune is really good even if I don't have "Dolby vision"

my connection is trash and physical media will always have a place because of that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Improbable Lobster posted:

my connection is trash and physical media will always have a place because of that
Can I interest you in a  dvd of Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP
ive seen the big robot changers from aliexpress but i really think you could get work done with a modified 3d printer fitted to suction-cup blurays out of some columns. u got all the steppers the rest should be p straightforward

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Midjack posted:

in a better world this is the sort of problem ml would help with instead of recommending white supremacist videos on youtube.

it'd have to watch the episodes enough to match them to a plot synopses most of the time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sniep posted:

it'd have to watch the episodes enough to match them to a plot synopses most of the time

might be able to pull episode titles, a list of guest stars, or production information from the credits and look that up in imdb or a fandom wiki or something without needing to do semantic analysis of a subtitle file or audio track.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

ive seen the big robot changers from aliexpress but i really think you could get work done with a modified 3d printer fitted to suction-cup blurays out of some columns. u got all the steppers the rest should be p straightforward

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

in 2010?

i guess a bunch of wikipedia editors need to update their pages cuz there's both claims that VC-1 isn't well supported and that multiple subtitles aren't supported but im sure yes that the container can do pretty much anything these days

i started ripping into mkv in like 2009-2010, and i cannot remember exactly what the weighting for it was. I picked it cuz i had to though and it's fine

i literally don't get why you would pick anything else especially for such an established collection like mine

yeah sure, it's not as limited as wiki might lead you to believe

i mean if mkv works for you that's great, but i started using mp4 a looong time ago for apple tv/itunes library integration + home sharing with my atv. subler is pretty helpful for this: https://subler.org/

it also opens mkv and maps most poo poo for you, give it a try why not

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just use plex app on my apple tv and it plays whatever files the server has without any fuss

also we buy dvds for like 50c/ea at the tip shop, i prefer dvds over blurays since the menus/previews tend to be way less obnoxious

oh and region free dvd players seem to be widely available these days also

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

the filenames need to be structured to be both human and computer readable, with E01S01 type poo poo on tv episodes, and series of movies in order of release by filename etc. it's entirely bespoke hand done

yeah it depends on how you want to consume 'em. i basically just rip the DVDs to a video_ts or .dvdmedia file (depending on what tool works best for the disc) and watch those in VLC since it'll run the menus. if you wanted to pull them into separate files for each episode, then yeah you're gonna be there for a while lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it just occured to me, that woman is in her 50s now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

yeah it depends on how you want to consume 'em. i basically just rip the DVDs to a video_ts or .dvdmedia file (depending on what tool works best for the disc) and watch those in VLC since it'll run the menus. if you wanted to pull them into separate files for each episode, then yeah you're gonna be there for a while lol

im the betamax hi-fi lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGzFIVYPDYw

holy poo poo i want

e: nevermind look at that receiver lmao

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 26, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i saw one once irl at a pawn shop i worked at as a kid.

it was in fact the coolest thing ever at that time. it is also hilariously impractical to actually use in any way, both because of the chonky-rear end receiver and cable, and because the screen is just too small to actually be usable

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 26, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, this would 50/50 turn out a cool hack or a giertz hilarious garbage robot. 0/100 if i made it :q

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 26, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

oh man I loved blade runner 1249

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
2000 movies is ~166 days of media, what are you people doing all day

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Watching movies, duh

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

help computer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System/4_Pi

quote:

IBM AP101B // Space Shuttle Main Computer (1988)
Sold at Sotheby’s for 6,875 USD
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/space-exploration/space-shuttle-main-computer-ibm-ap101b-general

Almost the same form factor as the early 00's Shuttle MiniPCs :cool:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 26, 2022

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Watching movies, duh

no no no, gathering them. searching them out, downloading them, sorting them, editing metadata, etc.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Light Gun Man posted:

, downloading them,

excuse me.

no.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the last physical media i bought was Akira on blu-ray

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the last physical media i bought was Akira on blu-ray

fitting

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the next I'll buy is criterion collection 4k perfect release of Akira

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

plz seek out and buy every type of physical media that existed for Akira. Laserdisc, betamax, burned CDs, you name it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the next I'll buy is criterion collection 4k perfect release of Akira

the 4k release that just came out is pretty darn good.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

the 4k release that just came out is pretty darn good.

l don't even have a 4k tv or monitor and I'll buy it

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1541043676486533121

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'