Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
As a little bonus, here's the goons' career batting stats:

Peep Dugless almost at Replica's WAR numbers, and Cooper chilling with 15 WAR, way higher than those with his play time.

And ~~Advanced Stats~~

The advanced stats only reinforce what insane numbers Dugless would put up if he stayed healthy/stopped pitching.

And career pitching:

Advanced:

Postseason Career:

Batting:

Pitching:

:siren: EDIT: gently caress what a snipe 2036 update is the post before this one :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

First things first, how did THIS not make the news!

WAY back in March, Replica signed a VERY lucrative extension with the White Sox! 5 years at nearly 200 million is pretty drat impressive. An AAV of like 38 million? She's skyrocketed to by far the best paid goon overall - and her total contract value is only slightly below Glass', though his was over 8 years and not 5.

Jesus, nearly 40 million per year!? Well she's a White Sox for the foreseeable future - and has at least two seasons to go with her buddy Vegeta to see if they can win her a ring, and get Vegeta his second.

JosefStalinator posted:

That's because Replica rejected the White Sox's qualifying offer, and elected to become a free agent. Replica, Saito, Snorp, and Reggie will all almost certainly get some big new contracts - though Reggie's recent performances have me worried. He's still demanding a 6 year, $12 million per contract so, good for him. Replica is demanding a whopping 7 year, $36 million per.

That didn't take long! SNK Replica signs a big deal with the Mets, though not quite as big as she might have been hoping. She will be there at least two years, with an opt-out clause half way through, as well as a player option the last year. She'll join Glass in his quixotic quest for a drat championship. With that she also leapfrogs back over Vegeta to be the highest paid goon.

Whoopsie

e: fun fact Replica has the same career ISO as current day Mike Trout

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 11, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

Plusse too!? What a dreadful second half, just injuries - very little positive! At least the Expos are bad and won't be missing the playoffs.
Looks like Plusse's black magic injury-transfer shenanigans have finally failed him. Still, 13-ish years without a single major injury is quite impressive by any standard, let alone a guy who apparently shouldn't be all that injury-resistant.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

tukachevsky continuing to play at his age despite his injuries is commendable.

his career is really tragic though, fiction follows reality.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Glass doesn’t just need a miracle to get his ring, he needs some goddamn divine intervention and maybe an organization-wide exorcism. Because there’s only so much LOLMETS one man can handle. I mean, sure, his morale is supposedly sky high…but maybe it’s some weird, demented form of Stockholm syndrome. Anyone else would be demanding a trade, $200 million USD contract be damned.

OOTP gods, either stop toying with my man or just let the guy have his ring.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Panda is like the definition of The Pitching Prospect. Orgs keep taking a flyer on him. "This time it'll be the one. We can fix him." *two million dollars later* "Ok byeeeee!"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

rickiep00h posted:

Panda is like the definition of The Pitching Prospect. Orgs keep taking a flyer on him. "This time it'll be the one. We can fix him." *two million dollars later* "Ok byeeeee!"

But pitching prospects usually get more than 14 innings to prove they have it or not!

Why would you give a $3M AAV contract to a guy you immediately plop in AA? It's absolute financial malpractice!

How are Mr. Pandas minor league numbers?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Whoopsie

e: fun fact Replica has the same career ISO as current day Mike Trout

Oh poo poo good catch - I guess she did the opt-out and took a $4 million pay cut. Honestly, given how rich/successful the Mets are relative to the White Sox, she may have made the right call if her priority is getting some rings/being on a competitive team.

CptWedgie posted:

Looks like Plusse's black magic injury-transfer shenanigans have finally failed him. Still, 13-ish years without a single major injury is quite impressive by any standard, let alone a guy who apparently shouldn't be all that injury-resistant.

We hate to see it :(.

Pander posted:

But pitching prospects usually get more than 14 innings to prove they have it or not!

Why would you give a $3M AAV contract to a guy you immediately plop in AA? It's absolute financial malpractice!

How are Mr. Pandas minor league numbers?

He seems to do pretty well in the minors - he's also got decent ratings too.

The weirdest part is that most goons of comparable skill/career status are taking minor league deals with major league OPTIONS - meaning they'd get the salary if they get promoted. For whatever reason everyone just gives Panda the money up front.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

Oh poo poo good catch - I guess she did the opt-out and took a $4 million pay cut. Honestly, given how rich/successful the Mets are relative to the White Sox, she may have made the right call if her priority is getting some rings/being on a competitive team.

Gave up a total of $23 million over the years she opted out of to get an extra year at $33 million + a no trade clause, it looks like

Then again she also moved from a last place team to the team that had the best record in baseball so...might be ring chasing a bit too

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Well, he may not be great, but my boy O'Doyle, who I was convinced would never even sniff the Majors, was on a playoff team. He sat in the bullpen during said playoffs, but he was on the team!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm glad Cooper keeps on trucking, even if it's on the always bad Rockies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Somehow Bitchface ended up in Colorado, it seems appropriate considering how meh his career has been.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I think whatever grift Panda’s got going on is the best story to come of this so far. Make those dollars :homebrew:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Ahh, Manjack cursed to bounce between AAA and the MLB while also oscillating between being great and sucking rear end, only taking a break every so often to get injured

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Blue Jays please just move Bantoni to DH already.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Blank can rebound if he signs with the right team, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

By the way - does/can OOTP simulate the WBC or Olympics?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I like how Splodey actually managed a contract with a team and still got league minimum with the Angels, of all teams

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Blank can rebound if he signs with the right team, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

By the way - does/can OOTP simulate the WBC or Olympics?

I currently don't have any other leagues set up for the goons - I could set up NPB/KBO and see if any goons run away there, but that would add to the workload a bit and some complexity to watch them.

However you made me realize something I COULD more easily add - we actually could add olympics/WBC to the game fairly easily.

It is kind of unfortunate that only the above countries would typically qualify (I think?), but it could be a fun little side thing to see if any goons get selected!

I haven't tried it before but I may experiment with it a bit and see if it's worth it. Good question/idea!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

I currently don't have any other leagues set up for the goons - I could set up NPB/KBO and see if any goons run away there, but that would add to the workload a bit and some complexity to watch them.

However you made me realize something I COULD more easily add - we actually could add olympics/WBC to the game fairly easily.

It is kind of unfortunate that only the above countries would typically qualify (I think?), but it could be a fun little side thing to see if any goons get selected!

I haven't tried it before but I may experiment with it a bit and see if it's worth it. Good question/idea!

I bet most of our international goons would end up on those teams

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I bet most of our international goons would end up on those teams

Hey, any of our players could have a parent born in another qualifying country - the OP just has to ask! ;)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Let Vegeta pitch for his home planet (Also named Vegeta).

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

JosefStalinator posted:

You can set up KBO but apparently there was a patch awhile ago that makes sure you can't even create a league that mentions NPB or it's teams, you'd have to make a different Japanese league.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Let Vegeta pitch for his home planet (Also named Vegeta).

- The LA Dodgers are threatening to destroy Vegeta!
King Vegeta - Wait, my son, the planet, our baseball team or me?
- Yes

Really I know nothing about baseball and I’m just here for the silly stories. And to that end Vegeta was an inspired character submission. It’s a shame Kakarot let the saiyan race down and kinda flunked out, so their rivalry never really took off.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Japanese pro leagues are hard to get into any game regardless of the sport, I know that the J League has never been playable in Football Manager... which is too bad since it's one of the three or four biggest Asian leagues. I believe Konami owns the exclusive rights for the J League, and I believe that's the case for NPB too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Elite posted:

Really I know nothing about baseball and I’m just here for the silly stories. And to that end Vegeta was an inspired character submission. It’s a shame Kakarot let the saiyan race down and kinda flunked out, so their rivalry never really took off.

Goku: "That's really inspirationable of you, Vegeta. You've managed to become a real bases ball star. Just like Yamcha!"

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

- The LA Dodgers are threatening to destroy Vegeta!
King Vegeta - Wait, my son, the planet, our baseball team or me?
- Yes

Veryslightlymad posted:

Goku: "That's really inspirationable of you, Vegeta. You've managed to become a real bases ball star. Just like Yamcha!"

I really hope Gen two features Gohan vs. Trunks or something. I figure we'll get a lot of "Bitchface juniors" and I'm here for it. Which goon "dynasty" will be the best?

Armitage posted:

You can set up KBO but apparently there was a patch awhile ago that makes sure you can't even create a league that mentions NPB or it's teams, you'd have to make a different Japanese league.

Boo. If it provided any value I'd just make an NPB equivalent, but I'm concerned about whether it will properly notify me of goon happenings. I had the game set to "notify me when watchlisted players do stuff" (goons) but I found it wasn't REALLY telling me poo poo unless I pretended I was an MLB team. So NPB players may go unnoticed and unappreciated!

Red posted:

Hey, any of our players could have a parent born in another qualifying country - the OP just has to ask! ;)

I'll experiment a bit with the WBC and probably add it in at some point - and we'll make a point for the next generation to put any secondary nationalities so that more goons can game their way into the WBC ;).

I've got to go out of town and won't be able to update for a bit - one of the other bizarre and frustrating aspects of OOTP is that it doesn't have cloud saving. The save files for the game are multi-gigabyte folder monstrosities, and I've lost records/data in the past transferring them across computers, so I'm going to play it safe for now!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am not dead my goon baseball fans - I will update this later this week! My busy time is nearly through.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BASEBALL

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

:emptyquote:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apologies for the delays my goon baseball fans - real life struck with lots of work and fun in equal measure, all of which required touching grass and not running glorified excel sheets of baseball men seeing if they can make number go up (or down). We should be back to our usual schedule!

One little bit of housekeeping - the newest OOTP has released, and I've imported our league over! What new features does it add? Was it worth the purchase? I don't know - I'm a paypig and if OOTP keeps releasing a new game, I eat that slop every single time without question.

Supposedly they've improved AI, trading, and some visual improvements. You'll notice the visuals change a bit (I had some screens from before the change), but hopefully it didn't break anything. We'll find out!

2037 WBC/MLB Pre-season

After some hiatus, baseball is back! Let's recap where we left off, as our minds are probably foggy.

Last season, we appropriately returned the Detroit Tigers back home, and renamed them the Beisbolcats. Needless to say, they immediately saw their play and morale improve - and we even have a goon back on the team! Snorp surprised us all by NOT spending his entire career in Texas, hopping over to Detroit to lead the Beisbolcats on what will hopefully be their renaissance, freed of the burdens of some bastard billionaire family. Or at least, replaced with a new one.

We saw Bryce Harper and Mike Trout make the hall on the same day - a cool and deserved thing, that would be awesome if it happened in the same way in real life. Not impossible either, they would just need to retire the same year.

Last offseason saw a lot of movement among our goons - many of our big and medium stars found themselves in free agency, and ultimately with a new team. Chief among them was SNK Replica joining the ever suffering Bob Glass on the Mets to create one of our biggest powerhouse goon combos. Saito also remained in Boston with Dugless - another potent combo, both seeking their first championships. Mahogany got a nice promotion and promises of starting in Anaheim, with Plusse now in Tampa as well.

Here's how our goons begin the calendar year 2037:

While Crime and Clips are both certain to find homes, the biggest wild card in free agency right now is our esteemed Reggie Blank. Reggie is coming off a couple of pretty mediocre seasons - his decline has lasted far too long for it to be a bad luck or coincidence.

The decline honestly goes back a bit further than I remember. Reggie has had some absolutely brilliant seasons, but maybe we've been overhyping him since he was our first big star. Whatever the case, he's one of ours, and I hope he still gets a nice juicy contract as 2037 develops.

We have one other surprise for this season - as per the goon requests, we will revive the nascent World Baseball Classic! This is my first time running such a tournament, so there will be a learning process:

Here are the nation pools:

I'm unsure how qualifications are going to work here - the settings just say "Automatically Selected by Nation Talent," implying that some of the countries with marginal amounts of talent may qualify some years, and not others, based on the quality of players generated throughout the game. OOTP has a "baseball quality" rating for all nations that influences the probability of generating new players every year, with the vast majority of talented players being created from the usual sources of places like the USA, Japan, Carribean, etc. You can see the ratings in the above - any nation rated excellent will qualify each year, as will most of the good.

For the next generation of goons, it may be wise to keep an eye on this list. A really talented goon or two could push the Israeli team, for example, up a lot in quality. Some of those marginal teams have only a handful of players (the Czechs are literally one guy), so a superstar goon could completely alter their odds of qualifying, and potentially even succeeding.

I'm going to leave the default settings in for now, but probably open it up to goon input about how we might manage it in the future. As a result, we'll actually have our first tournament pretty imminently!

Some interesting things to note here - the "season" being only 6 days long means the whole thing is done in about two weeks, and in early to mid March, so concurrent with the much of Spring Training. You can see that players will sometimes reject participation - I'm open to lowering this setting if we want to force our pretend players to ignore their potential for injury, or any other changes.

Also, I picked Detroit as the host after the trauma they endured under the Ilitch's. We can open future ones to votes, and go international too!

This will be a good test for myself - the notifications for the WBC may not properly show our goons, as the notifications settings in this game are wonky. I will do my best, and hopefully learn from this so we can pay better attention next time!

Already, we do have a news story, announcing the "2022" WBC. Let's hope this doesn't bode poorly.

For now though, let's get to March and see if any of our jobless goons are able to be employed before the WBC begins.

Cooper is officially our first OOTP24 news story - criminally underused by the Rockies, let's hope Pittsburg treats him a little better. He's had positive war every season, hitting near .300 every time, and yet the Rockies mostly used him as a backup/bench guy. Smdh.

It's time for the WBC rosters! I had one small concern - since we really only simulate the USA, technically many countries have no players listed, or an extremely small number of players. Even Japan has a much bigger pool from NPB that just, doesn't exist in our world. The good news - the game generates "ghost" players to fill in, randomly building them according to a nation's baseball "quality" rating. So we will be good :).

Also as a note - players can have primary and "secondary" nationalities. As long as you have a country in one of those two, your player can choose to play for one of them. So we may revisit these secondary nationalities in the future, to make it more fun.

Which goons were selected for the WBC? Quite a few, actually! Bolded if they're included in the starting lineup/rotation:

Netherlands: Snorp Borsgaard
Japan: Prince Vegeta, SNK Replica
China: Mr. Panda, Krillin Chestnut
USA: Bob Glass, Douglas Dugless, AJ Kalan, Beauregard Bitchface, Potato Manjack
Canada: Megnogard Cooper, Jeffthew McDichel, CJTJCJB Clips

Some strong goon representation! Not shocking given this forums' North American locale, but Japan/China are represented well too. Japan in particular is boosted by superstars Replica and Vegeta. China is normally a pretty weak team, so Krillin and Panda will both play central roles in it.

You might see quite a few names missing from the above - Bantoni Kemping being one of the more prominent. Players can decline selection, though I'm unsure how to check if they were selected and declined, or just ignored. I have a hard time believing that Kemping didn't get an invite, but for more marginal players, it's less clear. The better a national team is, the more picky it will be - so Goku may not have gotten an invite to Japan, but he would have been a star on Nicaragua, for example.

Here are the WBC standings. The way the WBC works is that first, each group has a round robin series of games in which teams only play other teams in their group. The top two teams advance to the elimination brackets - the 3rd and 4th place teams are eliminated but automatically invited back for the next tournament. The last place team will need to requalify to return.

We'll cover the elimination bracket once we get there. For now, we wait until March. We find that it's quite a busy time for our FA goons!

First, my boy Stalin lands a minor league deal with Boston, potentially joining Dugless and Saito in their frustrating quest for a ring.

:negative: WHAT? A MINOR LEAGUE DEAL!? How far we have fallen...

I noticed Blank was no longer a free agent, and wondered why it didn't make the news. Our boy was originally seeking a multi-year, many million dollar deal. But no one was biting, and he ended up with a minor league deal :(. To be fair - if he gets promoted, he'd get 3.5 million, which is definitely the best minor league deal I've yet seen. I'd be shocked if he doesn't, but drat, I am sad to see this.

Crime signs a minor league deal with a promotion option of 3.3 million, nearly the same as Reggie's!

Clips does the same for STL, but only 1.1 million. And bravely represents :canada:.

For now though, it's WBC time! We'll go through the group stages and highlight big performances/overall stats first:

Over in Group A, Snorp's Honkbal comrades crush all opposition, including the normally powerful Cubans, to ride to an easy 4-0 first place spot.

Absolute tragedy strikes the Japanese team however - the erstwhile champions of real world baseball and perennial powerhouse Samurai Japan is humiliated by defeats from the Chinese, Australians and Czechs. Real life Japan would lose its mind if this happened.

:japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan::japan:

I'm pretty sure this game would spark an international incident. Whatever the case, our Asian-origin goons are eliminated, as SK and Czechia advance to the elimination bracket.

Over in group C, our goons fared far better, with our Canadian and American goons all advancing. Canada does so by the skin of its teeth, tying Mexico but winning whatever tiebreaking rules govern advancement.

There are no goons down in group D, but unlike the shocking results of group B, Venezuela and the DR shock no one with advancement. Israel's overperformance and PR's 0-4 play (tied with Italy for the worst) is a bit surprising!

How did our goons do?

Small sample size obviously, but these numbers at least tell us if anyone had any big performances. And it looks like most of our goons were fairly muted, with, ironically, our Chinese and Japanese goons standing out the most. Krillin had a great WBC, lifting China on his shoulders and outbatting everyone except Replica. Replica was one of only two goons with a dinger, alongside Mr. Glass, and 4 RBI's. Her best efforts couldn't help Japan... though her dinger did at least help lift Japan 8-4 over their other rivals, the Koreans.

Bob Glass' dinger is also of note, as it was the difference in the USA's 8-7 victory over Colombia!

The only time you'll ever see Mr. Panda above Vegeta! The reason for that is that Mr. Panda was not a reliever - he was employed as a starter for the struggling China team.

And honestly, he did pretty well! They lost the game, but that was as much due to their anemic offense than anything. Krillin was Mr. Panda's sole source of run support with an RBI and two hits. Maybe Mr. Panda will be inspired by this, and develop a new sense of comraderie with Krillin.

Also, he's now pitched ~half as many innings in the WBC as MLB.

But what of Vegeta?

Alas, a team of dentists and randoms Czech people were too strong for Vegeta. In Vegeta's defense, he didn't do that terribly - he actually departed with Japan ahead by one run, 4-3, but Japan would give up 4 rungs in the 9th to tie it, and fall in the 10th 8-7. If any of this happened in real life, we would need an army of guards in Aokigahara.

Ugh, okay. These are single game elimination contests, but they re-seed for the next round. Even worse, OOTP treats it like it's another round of round-robin pool plays, making this very confusing for me to follow our goons in :psyduck:. The actual teams playing each other do NOT match the visual representation above - the Netherlands is playing Canada, for example. Bloody hell OOTP.

Whatever the case - we have goons on Team Netherlands vs Canada, and USA vs the DR. Let's see how they do!

Oof. Team Netherlands crushes Canada 6-1, showing the superiority of Honkbal. Our goons are somewhat silent in this one, though I will note that Jeffthew gives up an error and goes 0-4 (as does Cooper), while Snorp at least manages a hit. Clips does his best (and the best of the goons here) by walking twice and only being responsible for one out, but it's not enough. Honkbal forever. :netherlands:

U-S-A! U-S-A! :fsmug:

I'm not sure why Dugless or the American goons don't start, but the USA doesn't really need them anyway! Glass shows up and blasts yet another characteristic solo dinger for team USA, and the formidable Dominican Republic team is slain in a pretty high scoring game that sees team USA have a combined 15 hits. I wonder if we'd have had more goons if we had done these tournaments when more of them were in their primes. Regrets abound.

With that team USA and team Netherlands must face each other for the right to play either SK or Venezuela in the final game. Which of our goons will advance to fight for a true WORLD championship?

:geert: Sorry Snorp, you'll have to settle for your Rangers ring.

You can't blame Bob Glass though - he went 0-4 with a strikeout, and was basically a non-entity. Other goons are similarly ignored. Shameful. Snorp at least, for his part, got a hit.

Team USA will now face South Korea for the right to call themselves the true World Champions (tm), with Korea narrowly edging out Venezeuela 5-4.

If you were curious or a non-OOTP player, this is what the game looks like if you choose to actually simulate it and manage each game. You can see Bob Glass' adorable little mug there at shortstop, with his golden glove, 80 rated superior defense highlighted.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Team USA does it! Bob Glass is 0-5 and no other goons even appear, but who cares! USA goons, you can claim to have been part of a world championship, and noone can take that away from you! Real credit deservedly goes to whoever Mike Botkins is, as the dude wracks up an insane 7 RBI over South Korea, hitting two dingers in the process. Goddamn.

But I also, uh, notice something about the player generation for the Korean players.

Who's on first? Kim. No, Kim's on second, third, short, left field, center field, right field, catching, and pitching. Kim as a last name only represents ~20% of all people in Korea, so this is pretty absurd. Both those I. Kim's have the same first name, too. There are also two Sung-ho Kims including one of the relievers. Bloody hell, OOTP.

WBC Full Statistics

Really not much to write home about goon-wise in this WBC. Mr. Glass at least gets to taste a championship that has frustrated and eluded him with the Mets, but really didn't play that well otherwise. Our best goons were, ironically, those who got eliminated early, like Krillin and Replica. But so it goes when the sample size is so small - hopefully next time (or next generation) we have a more robust set of goons representing their home nations, and some more fun upsets like Japan needing to qualify for the next tournament. Yikes.

I do wonder how much of this was affected by the generation of ghost players - the USA team (and by extension the Latin American teams, whose players mostly end up in the MLB) probably had a huge advantage since they were real talent rather than hastily generated ones. Japan should NOT be getting owned like this, and probably wouldn't had the NPB been properly simulated - but the KBO is also absent, and the Koreans made it all the way to the finals, so it could just be bad luck over a small sample.

Whatever the case I had fun and it was pretty easy to follow. Let me know if you guys have any particular thoughts or comments on the structure or future changes we can make to make it a bit more fun or interesting - I am open to completely revamping how it's organized and run! I might play with some of those options myself.

I'm also going to stop here for now, as this is already pretty long and I want to get SOMETHING out ASAP since I've already been quiet for so long. We'll sim the rest of real AMERICAN baseball tonight or tomorrow.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 24, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Aw man, Snorp. Good enough, I guess.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I don't think it's a surprise Bantoni (or Adam, for that matter) didn't get called up when Poland doesn't have a national team :v: .

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tevery Best posted:

I don't think it's a surprise Bantoni (or Adam, for that matter) didn't get called up when Poland doesn't have a national team :v: .

Oh you're right, for some reason I assumed he was American. Must be that his birth certificate was written on what looked like a napkin...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/codystavenhagen/status/1639254165191901185

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tevery Best posted:

This is a massive oversight and I demand the WBC be replayed with Poland included, with Bantoni at the helm and Antoni managing (but mysteriously never seen together in the dugout) I am sure team Poland would win it all.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

This is a massive oversight and I demand the WBC be replayed with Poland included, with Bantoni at the helm and Antoni managing (but mysteriously never seen together in the dugout) I am sure team Poland would win it all.

I 100% support fixing the WBC to include whatever random and obscure countries goons hail from. Honestly, if enough goons make Polish players, they'd probably edge out Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So we're gonna goonrush the Marshall Islands, yeah? Monserrat maybe?