Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

moths posted:

I always had the impression that Twin Peaks was also a loose satire of the dumb kinds of things you'd see on television. Mashed into a metaphysical murder mystery.

S2 continued that, but delivered a Gilligan's Isle concussion subplot instead of a soap opera town full of secrets. The low frequency cue that you're watching a television show turned into a bullhorn.

Yeah, it seemed like it was at least partly a satire but more of a twisted version than an outright mockery of prime-time soaps, at least initially. Of course doing twisted versions of normal dramatic stories in order to heighten some element of them is Lynch's stock in trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TrixRabbi posted:

I love Inland Empire but I know it's his biggest liability here. That movie is polarizing.

edit: What are the top seeds biggest liabilities? Lynch's is Inland Empire. I'd wager Carpenter's potential weak point is The Fog, though that depends on what it's up against.

As the person who picked the Carpenter list, I'd say the weak link is Christine. Halloween and The Thing go without saying, I've fallen off the wagon of liking ITMOM but I know a lot of other people like it, Prince of Darkness is ITMOM except better, and The Fog is a classic ghost story with just enough gore to keep the hounds fed. Christine is a good movie and one of the better King adaptations, but if this were a contest of whole careers rather than horror movies it wouldn't even make Carpenter's top 10.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I love and prefer ITMOM over Prince of Darkness, which is harder for me to get into.

I always heard Christine was a lesser Carpenter growing up, but now that I've seen it, it's one of his best and is incredibly compelling. It's just not as tight as iconic and compelling as The Thing and Halloween, which are basically perfect. Or as watchable and syndicated as Big Trouble In Little China.

The weird thing about Christine is how it still somehow exists in the cultural zeitgeist. My dad does not read Stephen King, does not know who John Carpenter is, does not watch horror movies, and yet just two days ago he made a joke about "that killer car Christine". There's no way he's seen that movie, and yet it's an easy enough point of reference to bring up casually as a joke? He could maybe make a joking reference to Halloween, but he wouldn't know who Michael Meyers is if I asked.

Like the Jason chat that we had last tournament, that speaks to a lasting effect of Christine in some capacity.

I'm excited to rewatch Prince of Darkness. I'm pretty cool on it. I've tried to put it on for friends and the first act is so slow that the group turned on me and requested we watch something else. Meanwhile the same group enjoyed The Fog.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 30, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I'm excited to rewatch Prince of Darkness. I'm pretty cool on it. I've tried to put it on for friends and the first act is so slow that the group turned on me and requested we watch something else. Meanwhile the same group enjoyed The Fog.

Prince of Darkness ends with its best scene, The Fog opens with its best scene. But I still like the opening of Prince, how it's conducted completely without dialogue and repeatedly cuts to stark white on black credits. It's classic silent movie style. All the sequences during the credits are also set around the church, with dialogue starting when the movie reaches Birack's lecture; this reflects the contrast between the old faith and the new science which is the core of the movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah. I'm less concerned about Christine being a problem for him. It holds up super well, even if it's more of a second tier Carpenter, it's tight. Like that movie just works even though it lacks the pizzazz of The Thing or his non-horror classic like Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I personally have Christine in my Carpenter top-5. So I don't consider it to be second tier at all, unless you want to say that top tier Carpenter is just Halloween and The Thing, because those two are clearly #1 and #2 for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I personally have Christine in my Carpenter top-5. So I don't consider it to be second tier at all, unless you want to say that top tier Carpenter is just Halloween and The Thing, because those two are clearly #1 and #2 for me.

Top tier Carpenter is those two plus Escape From New York, They Live and Big Trouble. The second tier includes The Fog and Prince of Darkness just below top tier with Assault on Precinct 13, ITMOM and Starman a bit further behind. Christine probably belongs in that third group somewhere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Top tier Carpenter is those two plus Escape From New York, They Live and Big Trouble. The second tier includes The Fog and Prince of Darkness just below top tier with Assault on Precinct 13, ITMOM and Starman a bit further behind. Christine probably belongs in that third group somewhere.

I'm with you on Big Trouble but for me Escape from New York and They Live are firmly in the second tier.

Starman is so often forgotten, and it's actually the only Carpenter film that I've only seen once, so I should definitely change that at some point. The one time I did see it I absolutely loved it so on rewatch it could shoot up my rankings pretty fast.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

All I remember about Starman is that Jeff Bridges plays alien Jesus, and somehow makes it work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

All I remember about Starman is that Jeff Bridges plays alien Jesus, and somehow makes it work.

He was nominated for Best Actor for the role, and rightly so.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Still haven't seen Starman. The love interest is Karen Allen? Now I really want to see it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RESULTS! :honk:

TWO TIES!

We also have the first #1 seed getting obliterated, and it's against a 16-seed in round 1. This essentially does.not.happen. in actual basketball March Madness, so I'm very excited.

This is more ties than we had the entire previous tournament. It looks like the low feature count of newer directors plus their recency (and thus likelihood others have seen them) also contributed to a MASSIVE spike in turnout, from 20-21 per round to 36!!

I don't envy Shindo, a triple bill of Onibaba/The VVitch/Nightmare on Elm Street 3 sounds brutal to judge.... to say nothing of Hereditary/GET OUT/The Babadook

New round up in a few. Till then, here's a screenshot of the bracket as it stands in round 2:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 30, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just lol that Hitchcock is a #2 Seed but Rob Zombie was a #1 seed. Hook me up with your dealer, y'all are on some good poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Just lol that Hitchcock is a #2 Seed but Rob Zombie was a #1 seed. Hook me up with your dealer, y'all are on some good poo poo.

Rob Zombie was a #1 seed ahead of John Carpenter. Whoever picked that was on krokodil, not the good poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

All the 1/2 seeds were selections of the council, with coin flips to decide 1 or 2.

Kvlt! is responsible for Zombie getting on that list

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Zombie was a special guest selection by a horror thread poster. I'll give you one guess as to who it was.

Sad to see him go but also glad that one of his best movies got some attention.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Whoever picked Hitchcock clearly has great taste :smug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

All the 1/2 seeds were selections of the council, with coin flips to decide 1 or 2.

Kvlt! is responsible for Zombie getting on that list

Basebf555 posted:

Zombie was a special guest selection by a horror thread poster. I'll give you one guess as to who it was.

Sad to see him go but also glad that one of his best movies got some attention.

Zombie for-sure should be in the running, it's just being a #1 seed is so funny. Adorable that you guys gave Kvlt!'s boy a high seed, considering how often he participates in these exercises. :haw: But I agree, I'm happy that he had Halloween 2 as his first entry, cuz that's a strong one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Zombie for-sure should be in the running, it's just being a #1 seed is so funny. Adorable that you guys gave Kvlt!'s boy a high seed, considering how often he participates in these exercises. :haw: But I agree, I'm happy that he had Halloween 2 as his first entry, cuz that's a strong one.

I honestly expected him to pick Fulci, which would've made a lot more sense.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I honestly expected him to pick Fulci, which would've made a lot more sense.

Yeah. Frank Henenlotter also seems like a Kvlt! choice. Although not as much as Zombie, I guess.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The problem with choosing Hennenlotter, is that you don't want to catch Bad Biology as the first movie, and then be the person who made everyone watch that piece of poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:siren: FINAL MATCHUPS OF KNOCKOUT ROUND! Vote Here! Vote Now!

Herbert West (Prime, Tubi, Shudder) vs Kurosawa! (Criterion streaming. :( )

How much you vote for Poltergeist (Netflix) will determine what % was stolen from Tobe and actually done by Speilberg. Quiet Family is on Prime.

Aliens are always fun. However Alien: Covenant is not on any streaming service I can find. Nor is Home Sick. Wingard got a bad draw here IMO

The Prince of Darkness is streaming on DirecTV and Starz. The real question is how many contrarians are gonna pick the creature feature (which is streaming nowhere :( )

:siren: Vote Here! Vote Now! :siren: Voting Ends 8/6!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 30, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The problem with choosing Hennenlotter, is that you don't want to catch Bad Biology as the first movie, and then be the person who made everyone watch that piece of poo poo.

Haven't seen that one. Will be wary of it now. What's the film amount? 5 movies per director? Coulda stuck with the Basket Case sequels and eschewed Bad Biology, if so

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Goddamn, the triple threats keep on coming. I'm curious though how that's going to shift the math. Like, I can see Miike losing despite his high seed because of a split vote, but now we have literally every Duo director competing in free-for-alls.

I swear to god if you motherfuckers push Ari Aster any further than this.....

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Bad Biology starts strong, and ends strong-ish, but there is a scene in the middle that is just unforgivable. It's basically Henenlotter's "my films are not misogynistic" speech, but it's the most reductive, misogynistic 10 minutes ever depicted on screen.

:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/Eu7CYZh.png
https://i.imgur.com/XXQsRNK.png
:nws:

e: Week 8 Letterboxd list :spooky:

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 30, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm really glad I got to see Halloween 2, but I'm also really glad RZ didn't make it, even though I voted for him.
Glad all the up and coming directors made it through, but lol at Hereditary/GET OUT/The Babadook. Just throw in It Follows and we have all the new American classics in one match.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm really curious how Onibaba vs. Nightmare on Elm Street 3 vs. The Witch plays out. THAT'S gonna get weird.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm gonna vote for Jack Arnold out of pity and also cause I think it'd be really funny if we wound up with a Putney Swope situation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I've ever been less enthused to watch 3 films I loved than I am to do Hereditary, Babadook, and Get Out back to back to back. And I'm very sad Browning is out and people won't give Freaks or The Unknown a try. The Unknown is awesome.

Wingard got a lovely draw he's totally gonna lose, but I really didn't love Prometheus/Covenant at all. I'll rewatch them for this (but I'll probably skip a full Alien rewatch since I just did that in April unless it goes all Sunday Chill) but if Home Sick is any kind of good it might steal my vote.

Prince of Darkness is a lock but I'll watch it again because I love it. Considering how polarizing it is I'm glad it drew a truly terrible film.

I have a hard time seeing me not voting for Poltergeist and Bride of Reanimator but I'll give their competitors a chance.

Franchescanado posted:

Haven't seen that one. Will be wary of it now. What's the film amount? 5 movies per director? Coulda stuck with the Basket Case sequels and eschewed Bad Biology, if so

The original idea was 4-6 movies per director. Then the directors with less than 4 snuck in and there was a separate ballot and stuff. Then that was all scrapped and simplified into everyone in the same pool and 8 automatic bids being granted. Then Zombie was elevated to a #1 seed sillily and karma bit him in the rear end.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Scott coming up against a weak movie with Covenant is going to pay off bigly later on. Imagine wasting Alien on this. I'm really liking this chaotic system :getin:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Something from the last round to consider is that while Zombie was over-seeded, Shindo was absolutely under-seeded. That may have been a result of people not having seen his work when we did the initial voting, but as far as the Duos bracket goes he's probably got the best one-two punch of them all. I think Onibaba may struggle in a free-for-all matchup, rather than having a standard one vs. one which could hurt him. But it's clear he should have been rated higher from the get go. Hidden gem of the tournament.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The duos bracket itself was a little rigged since like, it basically was taking a bunch of people who had made themselves stand out with 2 films so like it was always probably inevitable that putting them all together would create a buzzsaw. Zombie drew the unlucky lot but he also had his best movie and just lost. Sucks but happens.

I'm a little bummed that we're basically guaranteed a matchup of 2 repeat movies in the 3rd rd though. But que sera sera.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, I mean it just makes those weeks of voting easier cause it's two fewer films to watch.

But also I feel like fatigue will set in once we start repeating the films. Especially by the time the winner of that section meets up with the winner of the bottom section (*cough*John Carpenter*cough*).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, I mean it just makes those weeks of voting easier cause it's two fewer films to watch.

But also I feel like fatigue will set in once we start repeating the films. Especially by the time the winner of that section meets up with the winner of the bottom section (*cough*John Carpenter*cough*).

Carpenter is at the mercy of the ping-pong ball gods that he doesn't go up against Alien, or if he does, it's with The Thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People are gonna vote out Carpenter 2nd round after Wes went 1st round and just break my heart. I know it.

TrixRabbi posted:

Its a tough read this early. Because we've got a locked Repeat vs Repeat movie in Rd 3 but we also have a locked Repeat in Rd 4. So I actually think there's a really good chance of one of the Duos emerging to the Final Four if they're up against directors who frontloaded their best stuff. But we'll see.

But yeah, in the end less "required viewing" movies a week isn't the worst consequence ever.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 30, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can we not discuss future rounds please tia

Edit: I mean generally is fine, but please don't reference future rounds in a way that indicates what the selections are

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I do that I'm sorry and you should absolutely call me out but I think we're only discussing the 2 movie people at the moment. We literally don't know what the future matchups are anymore except with them because... 2 films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry I thought you were talking about Carpenter's Round 2 as if you knew what it was.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, we have no idea. I was just being all Eeyore about his odds of this:

Shrecknet posted:

Carpenter is at the mercy of the ping-pong ball gods that he doesn't go up against Alien, or if he does, it's with The Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyway I'm voting for Carpenter regardless, I've said that already and I hope others will join me. Christine vs. Alien? I vote Carpenter. The Fog vs. TCM? Carpenter again. It's Carpenter all the way down.

The only reason I nominated Bava for the top seed is because Carpenter was already taken.