Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

the really pretty shots and the insanely epic soundtrack carry this bad boy

oh yeah there were a lot of good shots and moments with the score, although w/ the latter (and maybe it's just bias bc of when i was noticing it) it felt like there were a fair few number of moments that should've had a soundtrack moment but instead were just ambient noise and it kinda threw me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Conan The Barbarian: 3/5

Fun film! James Earl Jones really carries this, as well as the variety of great shots and locales it contains. I was surprised at how much I remembered despite catching only small pieces of it dozens of times throughout my childhood/teens, which probably colors my outlook on it positively. I’m a fan of some of the special fx they use for spirits lol, it’s weird and at times hard to discern and it owns. very of its movie in a positive way.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

Conan the Barbarian

eh?

i'm going to chalk a good chunk of my feelings on the movie to not being into fantasy much at all and also having never seen it until now, but man it just never really clicked for me. on a technical level it was ambitiously impressive with the set designs, all the extras, the practical effects, etc. but when it actually came to the movie it just felt...lacking i guess? not sure how best to put it into words but though the actual combat was a good level of clumsy camp, everything outside of it left me wanting more since most of the time it's just stringing along from setpiece for a fight to setpiece for a fight. i don't remember who said it during Speed Racer that it felt like a live-action cartoon, but i got that same vibe from Conan but in a lot grittier, more low-budget way and it wasn't one i found myself adoring on the level of Speed Racer. James Earl Jones was fantastic and every line out of his mouth was gold, and i appreciate beefcake Arnie doing Arnie things but everyone outside of them wasn't particularly memorable, even Max von Sydow since he has like five minutes of screen time. the ending hit really well at least and there were a fair few funny bits i laughed at but most of the time the movie fell into a weird chasm for me where it's almost taking itself too seriously so it can become pure camp, but falls short because of being so straightforward so it's stuck in a weird limbo. i don't mean to be a stick in the mud cuz it's clear there's a lot of love for this movie in the thread but it really just didn't do much for me

was waffling on my final rating a lot before i ultimately asked myself if i'd watch the movie over again rather than some select scenes and that gave me my answer

6.5/10

Yo ur rear end is pugged.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

Conan The Barbarian: 3/5

Fun film! James Earl Jones really carries this, as well as the variety of great shots and locales it contains. I was surprised at how much I remembered despite catching only small pieces of it dozens of times throughout my childhood/teens, which probably colors my outlook on it positively. I’m a fan of some of the special fx they use for spirits lol, it’s weird and at times hard to discern and it owns. very of its movie in a positive way.

You’re cool tho, sleng. Stay fly dawg :chhers:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Conan: Probably one of the most 80s movies there is. I thought the effects were pretty good, sets looked nice, and the acting was largely pretty bad with the exception of James Earl Jones and Mako. Big lol at the crucifixion and resurrection scene. Big lol also at Arnold's vomitous "bleeeaugh! Yeaauug!" noises when he takes damage.

3 stars out of 5

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Forgot to mention, also laughed really hard when Conan punched a camel in the face

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I got the tude now posted:

Yo ur rear end is pugged.

mad with power...

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

mad with power...

He's all talk

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Conan: Probably one of the most 80s movies there is. I thought the effects were pretty good, sets looked nice, and the acting was largely pretty bad with the exception of James Earl Jones and Mako. Big lol at the crucifixion and resurrection scene. Big lol also at Arnold's vomitous "bleeeaugh! Yeaauug!" noises when he takes damage.

3 stars out of 5

no love for max?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t rewatch my picks last year, but I rewatch Hell or High Water semi-regularly anyway and it was about time for another. I like this one a lot, I think Fucker is right that it’s missing something I can’t quite put my finger on that keeps it from being truly great, but it’s drat good. The four primary characters all turn in great performances and great line deliveries from a clever script. A lot of scenes and lines have stuck with me since I first saw it, like the t-bone cafe waitress, or Foster’s delivery of the “no. It makes me, CO-MAN-CHEE.”

It’s nothing you haven’t seen before in a movie like this, but it’s all done very well. I love how well it captures the atmosphere of rundown small towns in Texas, I love the banter between both pairs of protagonists. I love how memorable even side characters who might only have a few lines are. I can’t quite call it one of my all-time favorites but it’s one I have a ton of fun with every time I watch it and I’m glad most people here enjoyed it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched Hell or High Water, first time I watched it was on an airplane and watching it on a big screen this time really does the movie justice; those shots of the Texas countryside are gorgeous. there's nothing really surprising in the plot of the film except maybe that the brothers didn't lose a bunch of the money through some misfortune, it really shines through the characters and their interactions. seemed like a very believable relationship between the brothers that really grounds Chris Pines concern for his sons. jeff bridges gives the best performance in the movie, always sweaty and out of breath and deftly pushing everyone else's buttons because he's pissed off at becoming irrelevant. nice neo-western, good pick

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Conan the Barbarian

People have no grasp of what they do.
You broke into my house, stole my property, murdered my servants, and my pets. And that is what grieves me the most!
You killed my snake.
Thorgrim is beside himself with grief.
He raised that snake from the time it was born.

I love how quiet this movie this, sparse dialogue, sparse music. Little explanation of who these people are or where they are, they just are. No magical quest or ancient legend for Conan to follow, he just does what is needed and works towards his revenge. The giant snake fight never switching to some epic music is so great.

I love the scene of Conan and Subotai comparing their gods.

The few montages feel very different to me than those in other movies, they aren't pushing forward something occurring or demonstrating some series of actions and buildup, but instead feel like random scenes we just get a peak at, like a clip show for a series we don't get to see. There's endless stories beyond this implied, great for a pulp hero.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

sparse music.

now,

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok, time up for hell or high water, wheels on meals starts now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps we need a good kung-fu thread tag, i'll buy one amazon movie rental (5 USD or less) for th person who comes up with the bnest one

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
wheels on meals was really cool there was a lot of great comedy and karate and i liked it overall a lot

things i liked:

getting jumpscared at the bulldozer scene that actually freaked me out how sudden that punch was

the baseball bat crack to the head that shocked me a bit with how violent it was

again, every scene with karate in it kicked so much rear end people were bouncing off walls into full body tackles and throwing some weighty punches and going all in

a handful of moments made me genuinely laugh but most of it was sensible chuckling which is fine i think thats just a cultural difference in humor

the two henchmen under the main villain had the best scenes in the whole movie its nice to see the ol Second In Commands get their chance to shine in the spotlight

the score was cool but i have a nitpick ill get into next

things i didnt like:

some of the cooler songs were used more as stings than full songs and couldve been allowed to play longer and develop there was some cool synth tracks that played for two bars and then got cut off suddenly when i was grooving

the main villain out of the three climatic battles had the least interesting fight and it was also cut too short

also i noticed at one point david i believe picked up a knife from the table with what seemed like the intention of using it but the next scene the knife was gone, editing mistake i think call me out on that if im wrong though

sometimes the non-karate scenes that werent funny made the movie drag on a little but they were worth waiting through

total score: 8/10 really good kung fu with some pacing issues and for a comedy action flick the comedy was just okay through most of it
i liked the characters and acting in this one though theyre all hams good stuff

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 21, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

interest check btw in a special movie club simulwatch of freddy got fingered when it goes on the criterion channel next month. interested?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

interest check btw in a special movie club simulwatch of freddy got fingered when it goes on the criterion channel next month. interested?

Yes

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

March 1st at 12:00am est

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

its one of my favorite movies hell yes

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wheels on Meals

very good stuff. everything that needed choreography was executed insanely well, from the kung-fu and fights to the car chase to the skateboarding tricks, just mesmerizing all around. the comedy half of the movie was typically good too, it's not often i laugh out loud at a movie multiple times but this one got me good. every scene at the insane asylum was pure gold, the extremely stilted night club dancing and Moby getting thrown off the van during the car chase were also great even if possibly unintentionally funny, and i actually had to pause the movie for a minute until i could stop laughing at Thomas and David both gleefully saying "no thank you!" to hooker sex and walking off arms-on-shoulders which i haven't had to do in a long while. it's hard to really judge the acting given it's a very clear quick dub, but having grown up with the perception of Jackie Chan as this goofy older guy with a saturday morning cartoon, it was honestly kind of nice to see him be equally goofy but also kind of a dickhead. the Freevee version i watched had subtitles based on that dub rather than the original dialogue so i'm kind of wondering how much i missed that was lost in translation.

wasn't perfect though, really wish the fencing fight was longer and some of the jokes fell flat, especially the nationality ones that felt mostly like cheap jabs without being all that funny. plot was also felt kind of messy despite being so straightforward, but in the end i wasn't watching it for the story anyways, just some good laughs and good action and there was definitely plenty of both.

8/10

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

ps we need a good kung-fu thread tag, i'll buy one amazon movie rental (5 USD or less) for th person who comes up with the bnest one

sub wins

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just watched Conan.
It's been so long since I've seen this that I forgot most of the story and it was just surprises around every corner. Had a blast watching this 5/5 ez

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The tag is very good

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Wheels on Meals: I'd never heard of this before, saw it was Jackie chan, and then was very confused where all the fights were for the first hour lol. All the goofy stuff was great, but I'm glad it ended with the castle scenes and more action. I liked it, makes me want to rewatch some of the Jackie chan movies I watched as a kid. 3.5/5

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

had fun watching wheels on meals with a friend after a few drinks. some of those hits look like they hurt like hell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wheels on meals was dope. Really charming and great fight choreography. I liked the fight against the punk bikers, had some cool stunt work. Sammo Hungs boss bailing at the beginning made lol hard.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rollin in a sec and then wheels on meals (HYPE)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rodbeard gimme your pick by sunday

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I went in a different direction with my second pick.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

M
Courtesy of rodbeard

When the police in a German city are unable to catch a child-murderer, other criminals join in the manhunt.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsVproWjN6c

Director: Fritz Lang
Writer: Thea von Harbou, Fritz Lang, Egon Jacobsohn
Stars: Peter Lorre, Ellen Widmann, Inge Landgut

Available On: Plex (free), Max, Youtube (free), Criterion Channel

Available From: 2/26-3/10

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 26, 2024

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

That's not Freddy Got Fingered

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

we're doin that as a special event. thread shortly.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this looks kino drat

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

M
Courtesy of rodbeard

When the police in a German city are unable to catch a child-murderer, other criminals join in the manhunt.

good poo poo, peter lorre ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

SPECIAL EVENT THREAD: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054919

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fungah! posted:

M
Courtesy of rodbeard

sick flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, I saw clips and scenes of M in a humanities class I took about art from the Weimar Republic period but never saw the full thing.