Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Count Yijian d'Cathay of Amman

The child of destiny hates that you have made it change its vote. It loathes your intransigence in refusing to assume the mantle of the Middle Kingdom, that you persist in these alternate names.

Still, it acknowledges its defeat and changes its vote from
the Middle Kingdom to Sacrum Status Medialus.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Just to be clear, No Change for Empire Name means we'll remain as "Jerusalem", not Arabia. Makes more sense that way.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'll change my vote to Sacrum Status Medialus

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Motto - AYE!

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

House Mersir puts three votes in support of Catholic Reformation. That's our one right?

Directives:

Appoint Doge Mikail of the Nile as Spymaster - AYE
Realm Census - AYE
Reach Out to Prester John - AYE
Appoint Prince Centule of Alexandria as Advisor - AYE
Kingdom Motto - AYE

Gonna be honest, still don't understand how this section works.
Imperial Directives:
The Flag of the Empire: Ralepozozaxe's Design
The Name of the Empire: NAY
The Title of the Emperor: Emperor Preferent or Empress Preferent
The Form of Address: His/Her Elective Majesty
Appoint Regnal Names: NAY

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hashim posted:

Just to be clear, No Change for Empire Name means we'll remain as "Jerusalem", not Arabia. Makes more sense that way.

Changing my vote for Empire name to No change then.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session is closed!:siren:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Final Bill Votes:

Final Directive Votes:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session of 1220 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

No items have reached the 1/3rd or 2/3rds opposition limit.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 15, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1220

The Recess is comprised of the following Policies/Laws:

Also attached to the Recess are the following directives:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 15, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Here are the different colours people wanted a look at -

Also, turns out Sacrum Status Medialis is dodgy latin. It'll have to stay as is right now, but I'll allow a directive to fix or change it in the next session as well.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Things are Dire all across the newly formed empire. Disease spreads along it's coasts, as it so often does. The Cour continues to befuddle the masses. Are they really so incompetent that they can't figure out something so simple as a name? And worst of all, the Mongols, the horde that stretches across the world. From far of China to the Atlantic their riders burn and pillage all they can reach. And to hear the Khagan has organized their pagan religion? It's almost seems like they are planning to stay, and why shouldn't they? They've defeated every foe they've come across and wield a force over 100 thousand strong. If there were ever a more dire time in recent memory, it would be hard to remember it.

It was a friday night at a Thermidor Bar in the Oresund. Normally a place filled with much merry making and debauchery, it was now a drab affair. Depressed patrons sadly drank their alchohol in silence, dreading what ruin the next day may bring. Then, an unexpected visitor came in, Jakob Egg-Tooth, current head of the Egge-Thermidors. Though youg, he possesed an intellect that would put many well learned scholars to shame. He wasn't one for following the rules expected of his station and tended to follow his own path. A normal Thermidor would never enter one of their lesser pubs, but he took pride in every one of his buisnesses.

He ordered a mead and a plate of jaffeggs with lingonberry jam. He tried to enjoy his snack, but the silence was deafening. This was a place meant to be loud with song and dance, and yet it was more akin to a graveyard. Jakob could not stand it any longer. He went up to the house musicians and told them to play along with him. He would bring noise to this bar.

He and the band performed quite the song.

What was once a somber affair had become quite raucous. People drinking and dancing and thinking up their own insults that they would tell to the Khagan. In the middle of it all was Jakob, beaming with pride and having the time of his life. He may not be able to do much for the land outside of the Oresund save a few important votes alongside his kinsmen in the Cour, but at least he could make the people around have just a bit more hope.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

This is great, added to the OP

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Lyrics

quote:

-A Heed to the Horde-

If the mongols want our lands, come let them try and take it
We know they love to ride around, and smash and crush and break poo poo
A thousand other fuckers tried, and none of them could make it

The great caliph of Old Egypt was our very first taker
He thought he'd send the local sheihks to help us meet our maker
but our great king in one fell swing took off that fuckers head
Then grabbed his crown and turned around and took their lands instead

The Great Seljuk that big dumb mook was quite the two-faced crook
With shifty plans and greedy hands our noble lands he took
In not too long their came a song that smashed him into bits
With no delay we made our way and grabbed back all our poo poo

If the mongols want our land, come let them try and take it
If the mongols want our land, come let them try and taaake iit

So many, have tried to take us
None of them, could ever break us
Who were they? We'd love to discuss
Here's a list:

Big strong Rum
They couldn't take us

Almohads
They couldn't take us

Our own lords
We couldn't take us

and there's more

The Kefids
They couldn't take us

Great Tawfiq
He couldn't take us

The Mad Pope
Just couldn't take us

there i'll stop

Go tell the mongol khagan that he's free to try and take it
He's roasting up his conquered lands like a pig on a hot spit
There's never been another man so full of so much horse poo poo
But if he wants our loving land, we'd love to see him try it

They come in droves to the house of groves to see what had been said
Will the lords in the honored cour declare us all to soon be dead
They tell the crowd, so very proud, their newly writ decree
We'll kick some rear end to our very last, with this i can agree

If the mongols want our land, come let them try and taaaake

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1220

* Organise a coronation ceremony by the Pope, construct a new tournament ground called Groverdome, and call for a grand imperial tourney

* Replace the JATRA law of 1190 with the JATRA law of 1220

* Organise a synod to demand a Catholic Reformation that incorporates the Jaffites and demotes the Papal rank, amongst other things

* Construct a Keep, Castle Town, Stables at Mirabel, and Castle Walls at Ronne

* Appoint Grandmaster Ildey of the Knights of Krete as Designated Regent

* Appoint Prince Centule of Alexandria as Advisor

* Appoint Doge Mikail of the Nile as Spymaster

* The Empire shall henceforth be known as Sacrum Status Medialis (Holy Middle States), adopting the Shepherd-and-Crook banner as the new flag, with leaders termed His Elective Majesty the Emperor Preferent

Chapter 26 – The Fifth Crusade – 1220 to 1225

In the summer of 1099, Jerusalem was liberated by the first generation of crusaders, led by King Godefroy himself. A decade later, under the blistering Egyptian sun, Alexandria was seized by those same saints, soon followed by Tripoli and Kerak, Aleppo and Damascus, and a half-century later, their descendants hoisted Christian banners in Mecca itself.

Cyrenaica in the east to India in the west, Trebizond in the north to Aden in the south, there’s no denying it any longer – we are an empire.

And not just any empire, but the successor to the Roman Empire, to the Holy Roman Empire, to Christendom itself. In honour of our new status, and our geographic position at the crossroads of east and west, the nobles decided on “Sacrum Status Medialis” as the name of their new empire, or Holy Middle Realms in common parlance, with the Shepherd-and-Crook banner adopted as the new flag.

And in celebration, the Haute Cour began organising an extravagant coronation and immense tourney in Jerusalem, to be staged at newly-constructed grounds near the House of Groves.

Money was also set aside for more practical constructions, of course, with the keep at Temple Mount and castle town in Jerusalem expanded, along with the stables.

Feasts and jousts and contests, word of the Tourney of Jerusalem quickly spread throughout the realm, and before long nobles and peasants alike were making for the holy city.

As preparations for coronation and games were underway, however, Jerusalem became an arena for altogether different sort of joust – the Synod of Jerusalem.

This gathering of bishops and priests was made at my own behest, mine and my vassals, to finally open discussion on ending the rift between Jaffite and Catholic. I didn’t like being called Heretic, after all, and this Synod sought to mend old rifts and reform Christianity into a common faith, one that could withstand the pagans looming over us.

The Synod sought answers to the questions that had plagued Christianity for centuries, and with the moral and temporal authority of Catholicism failing everywhere, the Jaffite representatives gained the upper hand time and time again – most prominently by successfully installing Guillaume de Boulogne, descendent and heir of King Godefroy, as the Pope of this new faith, claiming that only the blood of Godefroy God-chosen was fit to lead Christendom.

But finally, after many days of concession and brawling and compromise and fistfights, the Jaffites and Catholics reached an agreement – and so Reformed Catholicism is born, blending the theology of the faith in strange ways.

I was only a boy when the Jaffite creed was born, I had sacrificed and bled for that religion for many long years and decades… but if this new union was good enough for the progeny of Godefroy God-chosen, then it was good enough for me.

After publicly embracing Reformed Catholicism, Guillaume agreed to crown me himself. And so, on a spring morning in the year 1221, Pope Guillaume rested the Imperial Crown on my head and hailed me Emperor Preferent, chosen by the lords of Outremer and blessed by God Almighty.

Unfortunately, others were not as accepting as I was. The coronation was followed by a lively tourney, attended by many of the lords and patricians of the realm, feasting and drinking as they watched Prince Centule of Alexandria unhorse a dozen men and claim victory, but there were a few notable exceptions…

Most notable were the lords of Egypt and Armenia, who quickly condemned the ‘heresy’ that was borne by the Synod of Jerusalem. And in fact, when Pope Guillaume finally departed the capital for his own lands in the north, he was met with treason and rebellion.

Armenia had become a stronghold of Catholicism over the years, and while he was absent, Guillaume’s most powerful vassal (and brother-in-law) had raised the country against him. After suffering a crushing defeat in battle near Edessa, the Pope was forced to flee his own lands, while the traitorous Count Albu marched on his capital and installed his own wife as Queen of Armenia.

What could I do, as Emperor? Nothing. I was only the first amongst equals, so I did nothing but watch and pray.

And God would answer my prayers, as the seditious Queen of Armenia was struck down by righteous hands only a month after her coronation.

Followed by her firstborn son.

And eldest daughter.

It got a bit bloody, admittedly, but such was the lot of traitors and traitors’ blood. Even so, after a brief civil war, Armenia emerged with victory for Albu, who installed a younger daughter as Queen.

Left with only a small stretch of land in Jazira, Pope Guillaume returned to Jerusalem a few weeks later. Ever the virtuous knight, he decided against spilling more blood for the sake of Armenia, instead turning his eyes outward, looking to the strengthening of his new faith.

And in the summer of 1123, in a sermon on the slopes of Temple Mount, the Pope called for a Fifth Crusade, commanding all righteous Christians to pick up swords, axes, scythes and sickels and march on the Indus.

Pope Guillaume wasn’t just pious, he was also shrewd, and he knew that his new followers needed an early victory to galvanise them, and so his target was carefully chosen – distant, pagan, and devastated after recently suffering defeat by way of Mongol, they were the perfect choice.

And the Pope, in return for coronating and hailing me Emperor, called in the favour and demanded my entry into the crusade.

I couldn’t object, and so, a year and a month later, I was found leading almost 10,000 levies drawn from Jerusalem and Syria across the Gulf of Kutch. And as we reached the banks of the River Indus, the Fifth Crusade truly began.

India was… something, something more wondrous and awesome than any story could say. I watched as my crusaders tore through the breach at Indusia, the capital of that pagan kingdom, and enjoyed the spoils of their victory for a week before being curbed.

I came across a town surely possessed by demons and devils, full of men and women who danced… and danced until they cried out for water, danced until they begged for respite, danced until they dropped dead. We butchered the lot of them, and fled as fast as our legs could carry us.

I came across magnificent and strange animals, including a talking parrot that sat on my shoulders and followed me about.

And, most importantly, I led my 10,000 as three great armies marched on the River Indus, we repelled one in the first battle of the Indus…

At the cost of an eye.

And defeated another in the second battle of the Indus…

After losing a hand.

Before finally, facing the combined armies of three allied kings in the third battle of the Indus, we routed the pagans and seized victory.

We had won, but my injuries were… extensive. For many months, I hovered along the blurred lines between life and death, drifting towards Heaven only to be wrenched back to Earth, time and again.

Finally, however, I was able to stand and walk again, and I received the swords and surrender of the allied kings of Sindh, Rajputana and Paramara. The Fifth Crusade was over.

And the winnings were… enormous.

In addition to immense amounts of loot and booty, a fertile stretch of land at the mouth of the River Indus was surrendered. These lands were far from the authority of Jerusalem, so I left my second son to rule in my stead, as King-on-the-Indus.

And finally, after a year in the east, we began our journey home.

Meanwhile, in the years since the Synod of Jerusalem, the small number of Reformed Catholics had quickly grown into a sizeable minority.

But the unity was short-lived, as these converts fractured along sectarian and societal lines, defined by their beliefs regarding the divinity of Godefroy and his companions, amongst other things. The Sancti quickly became the sect of the elite, they were those who claimed descent from the couplings between fallen Angels and human women, while the Waldenites appealed to the poorest and most zealous of the commonfolk, with the Umbilites occupying a middle ground amongst nobles and patricians.

At the same time, the rising of Old Catholics in the north was mirrored by rebellion in the south, as a new heresy sprung in Arabia.

Reformed Catholicism has found support in the Holy Land, but Old Catholicism has strong roots in Egypt and Armenia, while this Mohammedan heresy sweeps across Arabia and Old Jaffites wreak havoc in their little pockets.

With every passing day, the answer to this question of religion promises to be a bloody one.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Full list of characters will be updated tomorrow, and the session will open day after tomorrow.

But for now, here's the casualties -

Casualties:

- Ide, Queen of Armenia, succeeded by King Bernard, succeeded by Queen Beatrice, succeeded by Queen Agnes.
- Willemine, Princess of Antioch, succeeded by Prince Frederik.
- Mathieu, Prince of Damascus and Aswan, succeeded by Prince Morryd, succeeded by Prince Mathieu II.
- Edvard, Prince of Asyut, succeeded by Prince Edvard II.
- Caradog, Prince of Hadhramaut, succeeded by Princess Gwen.
- [url=https://lpix.org/3741737/c30.jpgMuhammad, Count of Baalbek[/url], succeeded by Count Mukhtar.
- Ildey Tzopon, Grandmaster of the Knights of Krete, succeeded by Grandmaster Ottavio.
- Ali Andirsun, Doge of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Doge Nasraddin.
- Imamaddin Shabibid, Lord Mayor of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Lord Mayor Rasul.
- Galindo Thermidor, Patrician of the Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Patrician Przybor.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour.

Politics:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The Emperor has a bunch of money to blow so let's go for A Gilded Tomorrow

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Princess Gwen of Hadramut

The Princess's long-suffering regent seems to be arguing with his petulant charge; she holds her Nestorian cross out at him, causing him to rub his forehead in consternation. She then folds her arms and pouts as he steps forward. "Ah, until Her Grace is old enough to make a mature decision on the matter, House Cynwrig will remain part of A Gilded Tomorrow, as her father instructed."

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Well gang, looks like we have a mystery on our hands. Who is killing all these people and branding them with a cross? I hope to find out with the help of my fellow members in A Gilded Tomorrow, which I will be joining like Galindo was before me.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Emperor Severed II

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Doge Nasraddin takes his rightful place in A Gilded Tomorrow

What more could I want out of life than incredibly deadly swords? I'm ready to fight the Mongol, and I know exactly how we're going to fund the war. I pledge my treasury to the Haute Cour and the Emperor Preferent in the coming battle.

Also, I do hope that the rest of the Cour does allow this Mohammedid to continue his preaching. I like the cut of his jib, Saint Mohammed belongs in the communion with the rest, despite the centuries of turmoil, his work did much to bring the word of the people of the book! Being the Doge of the Red Sea Republic, protector of the former holy sites of Islam, I do think that there was an element of Sainthood about the Prophet. This new Reformed Catholicism seems like it has missed some of the key ideas that could have led to a unification of all of the People of the Book.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
RIP Ildey.

With that, I’ve become a bit busy and hold a lot of votes. I will turn over the Knights of Krete so they can be wielded with the power they have. Thanks Hashim!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

JOSSELIN, EMPEROR PREFERENT OF JERUSALEM

The Emperor Preferent hobbles into the House of Groves, carefully eyeing the Haute Cour with the one he has left. Josselin decided, for whatever reason, to avoid wearing an eye patch today, letting everyone see the gruesome socket he gained from his fighting in the last crusade.

The man stands as best he could in front of the whole body, a lengthy procession of his servants and retinue trailing far behind, save for one frightened servant holding what appears to be an cage covered in fine silk. Josselin mumbles and waves over the Courtier assigned to give speeches in his stead to address the body:

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Haute Cour, we come to you with glad tidings. After tense negotiations, your Emperor Preferent has been able to successfully convince Leo XI to come and reside in Jerusalem. His Elected Majesty wanted you all to be the first to welcome his Holiness to our fine Empire. Please treat our guest with the utmost respect and honor him as you would our Pope King Guillaume."

Josselin gestures at the frightened servant, who quickly pulls off the silk to reveal the contents of the cage:

The servant opens the cage, and Leo XI flutters around the Haute Cour in their stylish hat, landing on the shoulder of a chuckling Josselin.

---------
Thank you Ralepozozaxe for the lovely fanart!

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Faction Tally leading to the 1225 Session

A Gilded Tomorrow (Economy/Merchantry/Innovation)

Leader: Patrician Jakob (Ralepozozaxe)
Members: Count Sigismond (Technowolf), Prince Michael (Hattie Masters), Patrician Simon (Clayren), Prince-Marshal Hakam (Rody One Half), Doge-Spymaster Mikail (Grizzwold), Count Aymar (Slaan), Prince Geoffroy (AJ_Impy), Count Yijian (QuoProQuid), Count Czyrzniech (Thordain), Countess Peronelle (Zedhe Khoja), Emperor-Preferent Josselin (HiHoChiRho), Princess Gwen (megane), Doge Nasraddin (WilliamAnderson), Wali-Patrician Rasul (Gigagar),
# of members/votes: 15 members, 56 votes

Pro Imperio et Civitate (Internal Realm Cohesion & Development)

Leader: Princess Radiya (Angstrom Gothington),
Members: Count Bohemond (Luhood), Prince-Advisor Centule (Freudian), Pope-"King" Guillaume (Erwin the German), Prince Briccéne (sheep-dodger), Prince Humbert II (Flavius Aetass), Prince Balder (Xelkelvos), Prince Bouchard (Captain Mediocre), Princess Garcenda (Lord Cyrahzax)
# of members/votes: 9 members, 37 votes

Jerusalem Independence Party (Anti-China, Imperial Jerusalem)

Acting Leader: Count Diogo (Frionnel)
Members: Princess Mathilde (TheFlyingLlama), Princess Cristen (Zikan)
# of members/votes: 3 members, 11 votes

Ecumenical Crusaders of Outremer (Expansionism & Military Spending)

Leader: VACANT
Members: Captain Salah (VACANT)
# of members/votes: 1 member, 2 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Prince Raymond (i81icu812), Prince Renaud (Obliterati), Prince-Advisor Boson IIl (Yavuz), Count Guilhem (VACANT), Count Sigismond (Soup du Jour), Wali-Patrician Uluc (mcclay), Prince Humbert (Vinny Possum), Binyamin Nasrallah (Shogeton), Niccolo Serra (rudecyrus), Javier de Bordeaux (SirPhoebos), Jovani Giaguro (JT Jag), Bogdan Ryba (fish and chips and dip), Count Mukhtar (habeasdorkus), Prince Margos (Flesnolk), Prince Mathieu II (Mirdini), Prince Fredrik (Pakled), Prince Edvard II (Pacho), Princely Grandmaster Ottavio (VACANT), Queen Agnes (Jossar),
# of members/votes: 19 members, 60 votes

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 20, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

All character sheets are updated (I think)

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Was asked for a closer look at the arab sect (still subject to change) -

I also missed a casualty -

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.
House Shabibid remains with Gilded Tomorrow

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
I'll be party head for PIC this session.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Mongolian problem continues to be an issue. Pushing one of its components to break away might be the way to go. The alternative is hoping that sending in the Doge to foment unrest will do the same without getting our hands dirty. Theoretically, just having a run at some of the Khanate might work, but that'd leave us in direct conflict against a host that's, at last check 100k strong. Mind, we've waited for them to do something, anything for the last decade or so and nothing. "One day they'll collapse. One day." But it hasn't come.

The alternative is to try and push ourselves to be their equal. Consume our neighbors to hopefully be able to match them, but they hover there in the north. A large grey cloud waiting for something. If the were waiting for a moment of weakness, it's passed by already. It might come yet again, to be sure, but who knows when that might be. And if we were to attack our neighbors, whom would be targeted? To the south, there is Abyssinia, a neighbor we've almost bullied off of the Arabian peninsula. They are no threat, but would would we yield from burrowing deeper into Africa. We could always try and snuff out the last great Muslim rulers to the West. Possibly even reach around to Iberia and somehow become the jaws that wants to tear Europe away from the horde. To the east, there is India. Already we have a foothold there and further expansion would cement our presence even further.

Much talk is being done in the chambers of the Cour, but opening these thoughts to the public seems only right.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Dominant faction: A Gilded Tomorrow

Session of the Haute Cour, 1225

Frail, malnourished, one-handed and one-eyed, the Emperor Preferent looks more corpse than man as he makes the traditional opening address.

L-L-Lords. L-Ladies. I have...ah, m-matter to attend to. So l-let's make this q-quick, yes?

State of Affairs

King: Josselin Carpenel
Government: Agnatic-Cognatic Elective Monarchy
Factions: Pro Imperio et Civitate, Jerusalem Independence Party, Ecumenical Crusaders of Outremer, A Gilded Tomorrow
Treasury: 6612 gold, +27.90/month
Piety: 6321, +4.83/month
Grace: 0
Threat: 54%
Army: 27370 levies
Non-Aggression Pacts: none.
Alliances: none.
Wars: none.

Active Policies:
  • none.
Active Laws - 9/10:

World Map:

Jerusalem, House of Groves

Weak Claims:
Kingdom of Denmark is available, apparently.

Succession:
Next in line for Jerusalem is Count Bohemond of Al-Mafraq.

Council and Court:
Chancellor and Steward are open.

Laws:
Next crown law can be passed now, next regular law can be passed now.

Technology:
A single advancement in Economy and Culture is available.

Military:

Factions:

Known Plots:

Decisions:

Religion:
We're reformed now.

Culture:

Relations:

Trade Zones:
Red Sea Republic has expanded to the Mediterranean, and apparently reached the coast of Brittany?

Defensive Pacts:

Diseases:

Empire of China:

Ruler Prerogative:
- Staging the cheapest coronation ceremony.
- Awarding minor titles.
- Arranging marriages for family members and courtiers.
- Imprisoning treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing treasonous or dishonourable persons.
- Ransoming/Humiliating/Torturing/Banishing/Executing prisoners of war.
- Sending gifts.
- Purchasing favours.
- Converting his own religion.
- Requesting that courtiers and vassals convert to his religion.

Legislation:
Once the Haute Cour is in session, any lord of the realm can submit legislation, which largely consists of Policies and Laws, as well as optional Directives.
As mentioned, members of the Haute Cour may support or oppose proposals of their choosing.
If at least 1/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, then that proposal is submitted for the consideration of the King. If at least 2/3rd of a proposal’s votes are in opposition, it is struck from the books regardless of the amount of support received. The King may strongarm a policy of his own devising in its place.
Sessions of the Haute Cour last 48 hours, 24 hours for drafting legislation and 24 hours for voting. After this period, the 4 most popular proposals are gathered into a single document or Recess, which is then implemented in the next update.

Rules of the Haute Cour:
- You cannot join or change factions when the Haute Cour is in session.
- A member of a Faction may support or oppose legislation submitted by anyone.
- Courtiers are entitled to 1 vote, Barons to 2 votes, Counts to 3 votes, Dukes to 4 votes, Kings/Viceroys to 5 votes. Members of the Council have 2 additional votes.
- The Designated Regent minor title has 1 additional vote, but in the event of a incapable or underage ruler and resulting regency, this will rise to 5 votes.
- Votes are cumulative, so for example, a Count may have 10 votes if they are on the Council and become Regent.
- In addition to supporting Policies or Laws, lords may vote Aye/Nay on each Directive.
- Rank has no effect when Directives are being considered. In this case, each member of the Haute Cour has only a single vote, Aye or Nay.
- If Policies and/or Laws gather sufficient opposition, they may be struck from the bill. The King may strongarm his own agenda into the bill in their place.
- In cases where Laws and Policies contradict one another, the policy will take precedence.
- If support for two proposals are equal, and there is only one place remaining in the Recess, the King chooses between them.
- For obvious reasons, legislation cannot pertain to the ruler’s personal life, unless is he is underage. So, for example, the Haute Cour has no control over who the King marries, though unwise decisions may affect his standing amongst his lords.
- The Haute Cour has no authority over the Character Focus or the Ambition of the King, those being his private matter.

For more details on legislative sessions, click HERE.
For more detail on in-game actions, click HERE.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

First things first, fix the damned name, and don't try to make it Latin if you can't conjugate!

Directive: Our name is the Empire of Jerusalem.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 21, 2020

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

A shieldmaiden steps forth and speaks in the norse tongue of Asyut, with a courtier quickly translating for the benefit of the Cour

I speak on behalf of the Prince of Asyut. The King of the Danes is unsuited to defend the Sound from the Mongols and the Iraqis threaten both them and our Republic of Oresund. His mind is feeble, his seed is weak and even a child would wrestle him to the ground points to Yijian the enormous. This Cour has waited for the strength of the Mongols to wane but to no avail, so before they conquer the rest of Europe we must bring the Danes under our Empire, by force if necessary, and grant the Kingdom to his rightful owner, Prince Edvard of Asyut

The Conquer the Kingdom of Denmark Policy

1. Press Prince Edvard's claim to the Kingdom of Denmark
2. Rearrange his land and titles as not to upset the rest of the nobles while keeping his court in Egypt

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

[i]The three Thermidor patrcians from each republic make their way to the proposal podium, each displaying a flag. Jakob is displaying the Oresund flag with the help of Sweetpea, needing so after having lost his leg. Zentulo and Pryzbor are wielding newer flags not yet seen in the Cour.

Jakob: The Merchants have been an instituion in this land since our founding. We have earned the money that has made everything surrounding us possible.

Zentulo: From far in the north to a little down south we have made our mark.

Pryzbor: And now we have connected our waters with great works.

Jakob: It is time for the republics to not only be given a rank befitting of their contributions, but to also give them a level of self control, This is why I put forth as our Forced Policy:

The Not Quite Kings Act

-The Øresund Republic shall be upgraded to a king-tier republic via titular title, and it will use it's old flag.

-The Nile Republic shall be upgraded to a king-tier republic via titular title, it will use a new flag:

-The Red Sea Republic shall be upgraded to a king-tier republic via titular title, it will use a new flag:

This is not an attempt to grab more power, but merely a means to make sure that our valuable republics are always giving our contribution directly to realm as opposed to one of our lesser kings.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I also propose that the kings sons King Nikolas of Indus be made Chancellor. Anyone who liked my song as much as he did must know their way around words. Though they only clapped when I said a swear word...

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I propose that Grandmaster Ottavio Tzopon of the Knights of Krete be made steward. Anyone who can wrangle that much land must know a thing or two about running it, right?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The Not Quite Kings Act

-The Øresund Republic shall be upgraded to a king-tier republic via titular title, and it will use it's old flag.

I'll also point out that titular titles don't increase number of votes, and are purely prestige honourary titles (like Protector of Egypt), so this policy looks to be granting the republics an honourary title that has the name as their republic

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

You see him, the Child. He is a terrifying creature. Enormous. Muscle-bound. He needs to stoop to enter the chamber.

You watch as he motions for his regent to pass out his bill for this session. While he treats the man with affection, the regent keeps a wide berth from his noble lord. The regent is aware of the Child's awful power, of the rage that could erupt from him at any moment.

Mongolia Delenda Est Policy

The Haute Cour hereby orders the Emperor Preferent to:

1. Authorize assassinations of the Khagan and likely candidates for his throne. His Elective Majesty shall spend no less than 1350 and no more than 1500 gold, prioritizing targets likely to severely destabilize the Mongolian empire and leave it without effective leadership.

2. Conduct raiding on Mongol provinces in Persia, focusing efforts on both collecting gold and reducing the availability of soldiers in the Khagan's employ;

3. Order all members of his council to take all actions feasible to sabotage the Mongol Empire and encourage disunion between the Khagan and his vassals.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Now for a personal matter. I know that my father, may he rest in peace, bitterly hated count Fan near the end of his life. He taught me to never trust a D'Cathay and to never work with them for they would always drag you down to hell with them. But recent times have seen me work with the D'Cathay Patrician and the child in a Gilded Tomorrow. Aarif has continued to be as boring as ever, no words for him. As for the child, they are hard to ignore. They are, how should I put this, massive. For one so young to have a girth of that magnitude is extraordinary. I know that Zentulo has had direct control over his diet, and has been testing the Carobba on him daily. But to think the Thermidor Diet would be so effective on one so young boggles the mind. I think the child is bigger than me. To wrestle such a beast.... NO, that's not what is important. What's important is letting all know of this creatures vastness, their orbulency, their unending form that could block out the sun. For the realms sake, i propose the we dub them Yijian the Enormous.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The room holds its breath as the Child finishes introducing its bill. Soon, they hope, the monster shall retreat back to his estate. He shall burden them no further with his presence. But the Child refuses to move. A feeling of dread creeps in as the Child looms over them and presents...

Directive: Recognizing that Amman has changed to Han culture, the name of the province should be changed to Xin Xi'an, which means "New Western Peace" and evokes old Chang'an

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Is it done? Has the creature finished presenting its bills? Why does it continue to linger? Why does the Child remain at the podium, even as the regent disappears out the back door? Why has the affection drained from its eyes, replaced by a terrible expression of malice? Surely, some revelation is at hand.

But no. The Child points a thick, meaty finger at Jakob Thermidor and lets loose a terrible cry. He seeks to settle old scores. He seeks vengeance for the mistreatment of his grandfather.

Directive: Jakob of House Thermidor should be cursed with the nickname "Eggtooth"