Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Pretty sure I've asked this before, but I can't find the post.

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Soviet Union? I've read some volumes on the revolution and Stalin so I'm more interested in the Khrushchev/Brezhnev onward eras. Ideally it'd be something that focuses on the high level politicking between the factions whilst also giving some perspective of what it was like for the average slob. I've tried finding something on Amazon but all I can see are dry as dust academic works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

BeigeJacket posted:

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Soviet Union? I've read some volumes on the revolution and Stalin so I'm more interested in the Khrushchev/Brezhnev onward eras. Ideally it'd be something that focuses on the high level politicking between the factions whilst also giving some perspective of what it was like for the average slob. I've tried finding something on Amazon but all I can see are dry as dust academic works.

Are you interested in big picture policy stuff, or would you like books about, like, the life of normal people?

If the latter - The Ransom of Russian Art by John McPhee and The Tiger by John Valliant.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

penismightier posted:

Are you interested in big picture policy stuff, or would you like books about, like, the life of normal people?

If the latter - The Ransom of Russian Art by John McPhee and The Tiger by John Valliant.

Yeah, the wide scope policy stuff is what I'm looking for really. Those two books look interesting, but a little too specific for me at the moment.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

I just got done re-reading Richard's Suny's The Soviet Experiment for a Kruschev/Brezhnev era story I was writing. It doesn't go into it as much as I'd like but it's at least present. The Oligarchs indirectly covers the '60s/'70s as well just because that's when most of the oligarchs profiled started their careers.

If you want something space race-specific, Starman, a bio of Yuri Gagarin, is fantastic and also helped me a great deal for the book. One of their major sources was a KGB officer from the timeframe so his understanding of the space race was in a policy/security context.

Hooves
Nov 25, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've fallen shamelessly in love with Tao Lin and so am looking for something in that vein. Something dry, depressing, hilarious and mundane about someone who is just confused as hell about life. Doesn't necessarily have to have a plot. I've read Person by Sam pink and that fit the bill perfectly. Don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a book. Contemporary authors are preferred but not required.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good history of special effects? Ideally I'd like something that is neither super technical nor super simplified.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Radio! posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a good history of special effects? Ideally I'd like something that is neither super technical nor super simplified.

As in Wilhelm scream, etc? Audio/Visual?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Anything, really. Sorry for the lack of specificity, but my interests are pretty broad.

edit: Audio/visual is all good, though I would prefer less about soundtracks/music and more about foley, etc. if you have suggestions in the sound department.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hooves posted:

I've fallen shamelessly in love with Tao Lin and so am looking for something in that vein. Something dry, depressing, hilarious and mundane about someone who is just confused as hell about life. Doesn't necessarily have to have a plot. I've read Person by Sam pink and that fit the bill perfectly. Don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a book. Contemporary authors are preferred but not required.

I feel like Douglas Coupland is the direct precedent to Tao Lin. Maybe "Life after God?"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What translation/specific edition of the Arabian Nights should I get?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Rollersnake posted:

The Husain Haddawy translated Everyman's Library version.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rollersnake posted:

I really like the Mardrus and Mathers translation, personally, but different translations have different merits. The Galland translation is the earliest and is pretty badly bowdlerized.

Here's a good article on the different translations and their flaws:
http://www.corpse.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=1

The Mardrus and Mathers edition was the first one I read, but I also like it because it's probably the most "ornate" and fantastic translation. Powys Mathers did an excellent job of translating the poems and songs into really excellent English verse. The problem with it is that it's far and away the most eroticized of the versions, more so even than Burton's versions (which is saying something), to the point where it isn't all that accurate any more.

Conversely, the Haddawy translation is probably the 'best" from the viewpoint of scholarly accuracy, but for me at least it just isn't as fun to read as the Mardrus & Mathers version. So it'll depend on what you're looking for.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 31, 2011

TheJazzMess
Jan 14, 2008

by angerbeet
Can anyone recommend some good horror novels? I like lovecraftian type of horrors where the monster is rarely seen (or maybe not at all!). I've been on a ghost ship kick lately with books/movies like Ship of Fools and Event Horizon.

wevs
Jan 5, 2009

classic wevs

TheJazzMess posted:

Can anyone recommend some good horror novels? I like lovecraftian type of horrors where the monster is rarely seen (or maybe not at all!). I've been on a ghost ship kick lately with books/movies like Ship of Fools and Event Horizon.

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE?

wevs
Jan 5, 2009

classic wevs

Rollersnake posted:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TheJazzMess posted:

The Book of Cthulhu was released very recently - it's an anthology of stories inspired by Lovecraft. A good anthology, full of names like Thomas Ligotti, Laird Barron, Caitlin Kiernan, and Kage Baker (these are all names you should look in to).

If you're willing to drop a little more cash, Black Wings by PS Publishing is an equally good anthology.

Again, I'd recommend all of Ligotti's work, though it can be difficult to find, both of Laird Barron's collections, The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan, and Beneath the Surface by Simon Strantzas.

I could go on and on, but that stuff will get you started.

wevs
Jan 5, 2009

classic wevs

Radio! posted:

wevs
Jan 5, 2009

classic wevs

BeigeJacket posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

wevs posted:

wouldn't it be easier to ask for an autoban on GBS than shitposting here?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

wevs posted:

This was old before you'd even registered.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good historical novels? Something that shows politics in older societies.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Ulio posted:

I enjoyed Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Its focus isn't on the politics per se, but since it's about Cromwell of all people the politics are always there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ulio posted:

I feel like a broken record but I, Claudius and Claudius the God.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wolf Hall, never heard of it will check it out.

I know Claudius because of the tv show. Haven't watched it or read, seems interesting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ulio posted:

Wolf Hall, never heard of it will check it out.

I know Claudius because of the tv show. Haven't watched it or read, seems interesting.

The mini series is amazing but teh books are better, You get more character depth and more focus on the politics.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I haven't seen the miniseries, but I, Claudius and Claudius the God are great great books. They complement each other well.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

BeigeJacket posted:

Well The Oxford World History of Russia does sum it up pretty well. However, it is "dry as dust" academic literature. But I also read The Cure which might peak your interest! My professor also recommended me the book "Stalin and the bomb" but I have never been able to find it... (my Russian history prof wrote a chapter in the Oxford world history of Russia, he covered the NEP era. Somewhat interesting, but totally killed me when it came to test day.)

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008
This is going to be a request that I'm guessing one of the lady goons here might be able to answer.

I have a niece, 14 years of age, that has grown up in an abysmally dysfunctional 'family' environment. Her mother is the town slut (in rural small town Oklahoma), a constant drunk and drug user, welfare mother stereotype having different kids with different dads as soon as she puts one out.
Her father is my POS brother (who does not live with his daughter or her mother), also a constant drunk and drug user, oftentimes jailbird sperm-donor and very much a non-father. In every aspect possible, they have failed in raising their children (2 of them are related to me) and worse, don't care enough to put forth the least amount of effort to improve. My niece has entered the stage now where she's having incidents of uncontrolled rage and depression due to her 'family' environment. Trouble in grades, fights with other kids, you name it.

However, she is somewhat bright. Since her birthday is coming up within a week. I would like any female goon here that has grown up under similar conditions to come forth and recommend any books they have read at that age that might have helped them get through the lovely times (I'm not talking about Twilight novels, please). I was hoping for something on the encouraging side, offering a sense of hope and eventual escape from her lovely parents without being loaded with Pollyana stories or simple platitudes.

Thanks in advance for any recommends on this one.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, anything else in the vein of depressing, substance abusing, assholes?

I recently have had a major hard-on for Bukowski, Rollins and Burroughs, and am looking for more that are similar. I really like the semi-autobiographical tone of all three, and would love to find more like it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

AA is for Quitters posted:

I recently have had a major hard-on for Bukowski, Rollins and Burroughs, and am looking for more that are similar. I really like the semi-autobiographical tone of all three, and would love to find more like it.

Hunter S. Thompson?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

AA is for Quitters posted:

Maybe Confessions of an English Opium Eater? Fredrick Exley's A Fan's Notes might be up your alley, too.

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 4, 2011

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Does anyone know if Le Carre's newer novels are as good as the older ones? My Library only has "Our Kind of Traitor" and "Absolute Friends available as ebooks.

Actually, I guess I should rephrase. I haven't read ANYTHING by Le Carre, so even if someone said they're exactly as good as his classic works, that wouldn't mean much. Are they good in general, then?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

IceNiner posted:

This is going to be a request that I'm guessing one of the lady goons here might be able to answer.

I have a niece, 14 years of age, that has grown up in an abysmally dysfunctional 'family' environment. Her mother is the town slut (in rural small town Oklahoma), a constant drunk and drug user, welfare mother stereotype having different kids with different dads as soon as she puts one out.
Her father is my POS brother (who does not live with his daughter or her mother), also a constant drunk and drug user, oftentimes jailbird sperm-donor and very much a non-father. In every aspect possible, they have failed in raising their children (2 of them are related to me) and worse, don't care enough to put forth the least amount of effort to improve. My niece has entered the stage now where she's having incidents of uncontrolled rage and depression due to her 'family' environment. Trouble in grades, fights with other kids, you name it.

However, she is somewhat bright. Since her birthday is coming up within a week. I would like any female goon here that has grown up under similar conditions to come forth and recommend any books they have read at that age that might have helped them get through the lovely times (I'm not talking about Twilight novels, please). I was hoping for something on the encouraging side, offering a sense of hope and eventual escape from her lovely parents without being loaded with Pollyana stories or simple platitudes.

Thanks in advance for any recommends on this one.

I didn't grow up in that environment, but I hope you don't mind me suggesting some books anyway. Are you familiar with Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass? The heroine of the book also has terrible parents (one who abandons her and one who both abandons her and literally tortures children) so most of the book is about her struggling to escape their influence and make her own decisions (in the context of a pretty neat fantasy world). Do you think that would work?

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I recently finished "The Master & Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. I'm interested in reading more on the subject of Russian literature. A friend of mine recommended Dostoevsky's "Crime & Punishment" to read next. I enjoyed the style of Bulgakov and his ability to tell a story and keep the reader focused and involved in the story. Could anyone suggest other Russian literature novels to read or any works similar to Bulgakov?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Radio! posted:

I didn't grow up in that environment, but I hope you don't mind me suggesting some books anyway. Are you familiar with Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass? The heroine of the book also has terrible parents (one who abandons her and one who both abandons her and literally tortures children) so most of the book is about her struggling to escape their influence and make her own decisions (in the context of a pretty neat fantasy world). Do you think that would work?

I grew up in a somewhat lovely household (by lower-middle class Western first world standards) and Harry Potter was a good escape from reality. Just ... the whole fantasy genre.

At 14, I was reading things like:

Harry Potter
Artemis Fowl
The Chronicles of Narnia

Dunno what else could help, but that stuff actually helped me get through a lot of poo poo without losing it. Maybe it's just me.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Yea, I'd be careful not to choose books that are too dark, it might end up with her feeling worse.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I recently finished "The Master & Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. I'm interested in reading more on the subject of Russian literature. A friend of mine recommended Dostoevsky's "Crime & Punishment" to read next. I enjoyed the style of Bulgakov and his ability to tell a story and keep the reader focused and involved in the story. Could anyone suggest other Russian literature novels to read or any works similar to Bulgakov?

I've only read a little bit of Bulgakov, but if you want really bleakly sarcastic satirical Russian literature you can't do much better than Gogol. Dead Souls is a masterpiece-- the whole thing is really dark and intensely critical of his culture at the time.

Crime and Punishment is incredible, but try and get the most recent translation (Pevear and Volkhonsky)-- Constance Garnett's translation, the most widespread, is good but really Victorian and doesn't really have the energy or intensity the book needs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Like the Triumphant, I think Dead Souls would be right up your alley.

Gunter Grass is not a Russian, but his novel, The Tin Drum, exhibits a similar dark sense of humor and mix of bleak reality with disturbing fantasy.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

IceNiner posted:

I have a niece, 14 years of age, that has grown up in an abysmally dysfunctional 'family' environment.

[...]

I would like any female goon here that has grown up under similar conditions to come forth and recommend any books they have read at that age that might have helped them get through the lovely times (I'm not talking about Twilight novels, please).

I'm a guy, but... Jane Eyre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rage Nage
Dec 16, 2004
It's Hellacious Z time!!
I really, really love the science-fiction books of Michael Marshall Smith (Only Forward, Spares, One Of Us) - I just can't get enough of the way he writes. Having read everything SF he has to offer, I'm looking for some more dystopian surrealist fiction, and would really appreciate any recommendations...