Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's a good as hell brand of frozen pizza?

Depends what you want tbh.

I've lately been obsessed with the digorno croissant crust pizza just cuz it's excessive and delicious af. Back in the day California pizza kitchen had a bangin white sauce and spinach thin crust dealio. Frozen pizza is pretty cheap all things considered, so just grab what looks good and try it out. You do tend to get what you pay for though, so I'd say avoid a totino's party pizza unless you're really craving an open face pizza roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

alnilam posted:

You know those images that make it into photoshops a lot that's like, a drawing of some weird monkey creature riding on some weird screaming yeti creature and sinking its claws in and drawing blood, and sometimes it says Seasons Greetings? What's that from, what's the story?

It's from a scifi book from the '90s about hypothetical future evolutions of humans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_After_Man

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

:shrug: I just buy pizza from a pizza place and stick it in my freezer. Works great.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've been buying different brands for the past 2 months, but my favorite is still digiorno. You really need to decide how you like your crust and bake it accordingly, not necessarily how the back of the box says to do it. Also, adding your own toppings either before or in the middle of the baking goes a long way. My favorite is one of their deep dish pizzas and I add my own jalapenos, pepperoni, and mozerella cheese halfway through.

Any cheese pizza is better being brushed lightly with garlic oil 5 minutes before it's done.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Vague one. I met a traveling close-up magician in a bar in Stirling, Scotland in 2007. He was visiting the town and seemed to be sitting down at tables in the hope of getting free booze. He was a bit of a character and pretty drunk but he did do a few tricks that were impressive enough to someone who doesn't know anything about magic.

He rambled at length about how he was training for some secret magician trials that only a few people have even heard of and nobody really knows what's involved beyond the first challenge. It's all become a bit hazy in my memory but there might have been talk of cloaks and torches and castles. The idea was that he'd go and prove how good a magician he was by completing tasks set for him by some secret magical panel and he was 'ready for anything'. I guess he'd get some kind of elite magician kudos if he was successful? Again, he was drunk.

I'd dismissed it all as bullshit until I went home and Googled the name of the trials (which I've long since forgotten) and actually found some information about it. I remember it being a bit underwhelming compared to how much he'd talked it up but there was definitely someone organising something vaguely torchlight-y / underworld-y for magicians to enter.

Long way of asking: is this a thing anyone's heard of? Haven't thought of it in years until something on TV reminded me of it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If I'm travelling to Germany, from the UK, what do I need to do re: Covid, for going there and coming back?

The government website seems to just keep referring me on to other pages about general info, but I'm finding it hard to actually nail down what exactly I have to do?

/Edit: It seems like, just having the NHS App with my test details is fine for getting in, and also to going to restaurants?

Coming home actually seems like the hard one, where I have to book a test 48 hours before I travel, and then fill out a form saying I've booked a test?

Is that everything?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 8, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I really love delissio stuffed crust

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Believe it or not, Amy's cheese pizza.

You'll need to add your own toppings if you want them but that's not hard.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tenterhooks posted:

Vague one. I met a traveling close-up magician in a bar in Stirling, Scotland in 2007. He was visiting the town and seemed to be sitting down at tables in the hope of getting free booze. He was a bit of a character and pretty drunk but he did do a few tricks that were impressive enough to someone who doesn't know anything about magic.

He rambled at length about how he was training for some secret magician trials that only a few people have even heard of and nobody really knows what's involved beyond the first challenge. It's all become a bit hazy in my memory but there might have been talk of cloaks and torches and castles. The idea was that he'd go and prove how good a magician he was by completing tasks set for him by some secret magical panel and he was 'ready for anything'. I guess he'd get some kind of elite magician kudos if he was successful? Again, he was drunk.

I'd dismissed it all as bullshit until I went home and Googled the name of the trials (which I've long since forgotten) and actually found some information about it. I remember it being a bit underwhelming compared to how much he'd talked it up but there was definitely someone organising something vaguely torchlight-y / underworld-y for magicians to enter.

Long way of asking: is this a thing anyone's heard of? Haven't thought of it in years until something on TV reminded me of it.

I mean, The Magic Circle?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Ras Het posted:

I mean, The Magic Circle?

They have different levels of membership and it’s possible they could require people to do tests to be in the highest one. Certainly the swords and castles and what-not would be in keeping with their general ambience.

It might also be a Merlin Award competition of the International Magicians Society, though apparently those are rarely on the up and up and it is more of a publicity mill.

I would think that it is most likely to be something affiliated with the International Federation of Magic Societies (FISM.org—a group old enough to have been founded when French was still the language of international professional organizations). They definitely have competitions with all the Gothic trimmings.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
My father left my mother before I was born and he remarried and had another family, was his 2nd wife my step-mother?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Technically yes, but there's a definite connotation with that word that you two had interaction and some kind of family relationship. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably use the term "my dad's wife". I'm an old and if my mom married someone tomorrow I can't imagine calling him my step-father. He'd be my mom's husband.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah I mean she's your stepmother if you feel like she is, but most people wouldn't usually refer to someone like that unless they were an actual parental figure in their life.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If you live somewhere that has Brew Pub Lotzza Motzza, that is by far the best there is.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Very probably a stupid question, but does anyone know why https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enough_Rope disappeared off of the ABC's website? It's not on https://iview.abc.net.au/ either. Is there any legitimate way to get ahold of it?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

!Klams posted:

If I'm travelling to Germany, from the UK, what do I need to do re: Covid, for going there and coming back?

The government website seems to just keep referring me on to other pages about general info, but I'm finding it hard to actually nail down what exactly I have to do?

/Edit: It seems like, just having the NHS App with my test details is fine for getting in, and also to going to restaurants?

Coming home actually seems like the hard one, where I have to book a test 48 hours before I travel, and then fill out a form saying I've booked a test?

Is that everything?

The page you're looking for should be this one: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268. Looks like for the UK, proof of vaccination may be required since it's no longer part of the EU or Schengen. As it is currently considered a high-risk area, you'll also need to register your arrival ahead of time.

Within Germany proper, most places now work off of either a "3G" or "2G" ruleset for public venues like hotels or restaurants, depending on the state you'll travel to. 3G means you'll need to show either a current-day negative test, proof of vaccination, or proof of recovery to be allowed in. 2G only accepts either vaccination or recovery. Also note that places that require masks (i.e. just about any indoor venue) only accept medical masks or FFP2 masks, simple cloth masks aren't enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I saw that California just made "stealthing" (removing a condom during sex without consent) a civil offence. I agree with the law, but was just wondering: How would it be enforced? Even in civil lawsuits, which have a lower standard for evidence, what evidence would be usable apart from explicit admissions in texts/recorded calls?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Witness testimony is evidence.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Witness testimony is evidence.
Yeah - and if there are two parties with contradictory testimony then all the usual things come into play; the jury/judge can determine which is more believable, other evidence might be brought up to impeach a witness, cross examination can poke holes in a story, etc.

Edit: the "he said/she said" nature is probably also why they went with a civil offense - it can be really hard to get to reasonable doubt, it's a lot easier to meet the "balance of probabilities" standard that civil trials use

Trapick fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 10, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

When I was in college I basically lived off Mystic Pizza. I remember it being fairly decent, but they might be a regional brand? (I was in Rhode Island at the time.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does anyone other than Mary Trump think Donald is not going to run (in the end) for president in 2024?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If you wear a surgical mask outside, does that help with breathing in pollution or not really?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Separate completely unrelated question: there are lots of dating/hookup apps that show you the people near you based on location. If I pay for the in flight wifi and open up Grindr, who will it show me (assuming no one else on the plane is using it)? People directly below me on the ground?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Separate completely unrelated question: there are lots of dating/hookup apps that show you the people near you based on location. If I pay for the in flight wifi and open up Grindr, who will it show me (assuming no one else on the plane is using it)? People directly below me on the ground?

Your phone occasionally reports to the service your GPS coordinates which the service uses to match you people nearby. Either people directly below you, or maybe people near the airport you took off from.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

If you wear a surgical mask outside, does that help with breathing in pollution or not really?

Not really. Surgical masks are more concerned with catching stuff you're spitting out than filtering incoming air. Upgrade to an N95 to filter the incoming air. You should probably go ahead and do this anyway due to other ongoing worldwide events.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As noted, surgical masks are for keep you from contaminating the patient you're working on, not for protecting you from said patient.

N95s work great for reducing inhaled pollution, so long as you have a good seal. You need that seal, though -- air will take the path of least resistance when you inhale, and you need to force it to come in through the mask instead of around the edges. If you want to avoid inhaling pollutants (you live in California, say), then my advice would be to get a half-mask respirator with replaceable cartridge filters. They're not terribly expensive, and the rubber respirator will make a much better seal against your face than any paper mask realistically can.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
N95s are somewhat difficult and awkward to use properly, in my experience. A respirator is much easier and probably more reliable, but obviously they're bigger and heavier than an n95.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Badger of Basra posted:

On a slightly different note, assuming that the gps receiver has signal from three satellites, it knows your altitude. If it only has signal from two, it won’t know altitude for sure but your other possible position isn’t necessarily directly on the ground below.

GPS is really cool, and I suggest everyone read up on it. The laws of both general and special relativity come in to play. The satellites themselves are just clocks that broadcast a time. The receiver just uses tiny differences in time to calculate the distance to each satellite.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I find that this kind of filter mask helps a lot with pollen. I assume it would for at least the larger particulates of air pollution?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Even less than it helps with anything else. All your NOx, CO, H2S and other poo poo are way smaller than even virus particles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is there a locksport thread on the forums?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Is there a thread for new phones?

Alternately what's a decent phone that's not too expensive and still has a 3.5mm jack if that even exists?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Man with Hat posted:

Is there a thread for new phones?

Alternately what's a decent phone that's not too expensive and still has a 3.5mm jack if that even exists?

Here you go https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3026166

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Thank you! I looked in HW/SW forgetting about the gadget forum

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Not sure where to ask about this. I want to get a mask that fits my face and offers adequate COVID-19 protection. I have a big head and I think it's shaped weird and if I wear a standard disposable mask it seems too small and slides up my nose and into my eyes. Can anyone point me to a better mask that might fit my huge weird head? I like the look of those neck gaiter masks but I can't find any that offer any protection.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

Not sure where to ask about this. I want to get a mask that fits my face and offers adequate COVID-19 protection. I have a big head and I think it's shaped weird and if I wear a standard disposable mask it seems too small and slides up my nose and into my eyes. Can anyone point me to a better mask that might fit my huge weird head? I like the look of those neck gaiter masks but I can't find any that offer any protection.

There's really nothing for it except to try a bunch of different masks and stick with whatever fits your particular head.

Believe it or not Korean KF94 masks (their N95 equivalent) come in a pretty large range of sizes. Here's a website that lets you put together a mix and match bundle of ten so you can try on a bunch of different ones:

https://behealthyusa.net/apps/bundles/bundle/60433

The Blue KF94 3D Mask fits my grown man head pretty well but I've had other large masks from that site fit me terribly when I started talking.

If you don't like the sounds of that you can give the 3M Aura a try. That's a tighter initial fit but the head bands make it more comfortable long term. It's got a generous patch of material that fits under your chin so it shouldn't ride up when you talk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you don't mind looking a bit over-geared, you could also look into half-mask respirators, like this. It needs to be combined with a set of disposable filters (like this), but the filters last a good long while, and the respirator itself is highly adjustable. And because it's made of rubber, it does a good job of conforming to your face, and it's relatively easy to talk in because there's nothing directly over your mouth.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Methanar posted:

Even less than it helps with anything else. All your NOx, CO, H2S and other poo poo are way smaller than even virus particles.

This is dubious info. Much of the prevalent harm from air pollution comes from particulate matter, specifically that below 10 microns but especially below 2.5. They will not be filtered out terribly well by a cloth mask, but the filtration will be greater than zero.

There are also VOCs, which tend to coalesce into large and sticky particulates and could well be filtered out with some nonzero efficiency by a good cloth mask.

IIRC NOx is a concern for human health because it forms organic particulates, which could be filtered out to a small extent as I mentioned above; and also other environmental concerns like acid rain. CO and H2S are likely not a significant concern outdoors unless you live right next to a factory or work in one.

Long story short, a good cloth mask will not do that much against air pollution, but it will likely do more than nothing... I just wanted to point out that this is an incorrect assessment of air pollutants. If it were all CO and H2S then nothing short of a full blown respirator would do you any good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

McCracAttack posted:

There's really nothing for it except to try a bunch of different masks and stick with whatever fits your particular head.

Believe it or not Korean KF94 masks (their N95 equivalent) come in a pretty large range of sizes. Here's a website that lets you put together a mix and match bundle of ten so you can try on a bunch of different ones:

https://behealthyusa.net/apps/bundles/bundle/60433

The Blue KF94 3D Mask fits my grown man head pretty well but I've had other large masks from that site fit me terribly when I started talking.

If you don't like the sounds of that you can give the 3M Aura a try. That's a tighter initial fit but the head bands make it more comfortable long term. It's got a generous patch of material that fits under your chin so it shouldn't ride up when you talk.

Just to add a bit -- I love the Aura but it's considered a "selfish" mask -- it filters what's coming in but not what you breathe out. If you're concerned about the possibility of spreading COVID, it is a bad choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Just to add a bit -- I love the Aura but it's considered a "selfish" mask -- it filters what's coming in but not what you breathe out. If you're concerned about the possibility of spreading COVID, it is a bad choice

There's no exhale valve on the mask I linked to if that's what you mean. I've worn them for a few weeks and I assure you it filters outgoing air.