Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

General Wishy posted:

Seems to me they really want to slow the R5 core and void key farming, but why? Why make the game have MORE grind for items like that?

To be fair the only new content that regularly enters circulation is new weapons and if you can get them fully leveled and experiment them in non-geographic timescales it is bad because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

kinkouin posted:

Baro K'Teer this round, :wtc: Literally poo poo.

Truly the Year of Quality is over now.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Can we please just get valk prime already. It's all I want.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

YOTC posted:

Can we please just get valk prime already. It's all I want.

I wonder if Valkyr Prime would be based off the default skin or the Gersemi skin?

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

SynthOrange posted:

Valkyr and Excal want a word with you.
Excal is my most played frame since the buffs to him, but he isn't a melee frame. Exalted Blade is an excellent gun, it just looks like a lightsaber for some reason. The main upside to it being coded as a melee weapon is that means you can fire it at a full run.

Valkyr's ult is good because it makes her invincible, not because it's melee. She is otherwise an EHP brick. Her ult doesn't make melee good. Even if it let you do as much damage as a well-fitted gun, which it doesn't, it's still going to fall apart as soon as you try to fight in complicated tile geometry or anywhere with lots of spread-out ranged like most of the interception or defense tiles.

Really, if they were going to do melee, they should have tried to copy the core of one of the good, working melee action systems out there, like DMC, Arkham, Bayonetta, AC, Darksiders, etc. had, and then begun to shoehorn in their own ideas. Melee in Warframe is basically handled like using an extremely short-range gun. To have a fun, engaging, interesting melee game you really need some kind of view that lets you see all around your character, some kind of dodge/parry/block system to tie into that and give a sense of mastery and control to the fight, and a variety of moves that are available on-demand and not locked behind a clunky one-button system. Instead, what's considered 'viable' in melee are those frames that can simply afford to ignore anything other than their target (Rhino, Valkyr) or can annihilate everything before it becomes relevant (Excal, if you still consider him melee).

Most other FPS games with melee options would have similar problems, and rather than doing all of the above - which is understandably a lot of work - they instead just use 'melee' as the graphic for your stealth insta-kill, like in every Far Cry or MGS.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Coldbird posted:

[*]Mesh for Zephyr deluxe skin was previewed, and is... really something.

Steve and Scott looked kind of horrified, it was fun to watch.
Apparently Mynki came by and was like "so... about collisions..."

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 23, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

General Wishy posted:

Seems to me they really want to slow the R5 core and void key farming, but why? Why make the game have MORE grind for items like that?

Maybe they are trying to push people toward survival in the worst way possible.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
valkyr is pretty good for picking up pubbies

i either top the scores or come second

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god he's beautiful (if he doesnt grow up to be a crackhound)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Congrats on you're 90s cartoon dog

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SynthOrange posted:

Ahaha, that is a fantastic dogge.

:stare: I'm usually all for dragon-related stuff, but, uh...

E: and again with the Digital Devil Saga Asura-style feet... Between that and the new Trinity skins' Orbital Frame Feet, I think one of the designers at DE has just discovered PS2-era jRPGs.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 24, 2016

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."
Right, I know what you're talking about now.

Denzine posted:

No more than two spawn reliably, and two will almost never spawn in the same tile.

This may be a tileset by tileset thing. I had two running a few times while doing the potato alert.

Running a split squad with two frosts and two nukers doesn't sound too hard, but yes - will make using these for affinity worse.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Coldbird posted:

Really, if they were going to do melee, they should have tried to copy the core of one of the good, working melee action systems out there, like DMC, Arkham, Bayonetta, AC, Darksiders, etc. had, and then begun to shoehorn in their own ideas. Melee in Warframe is basically handled like using an extremely short-range gun. To have a fun, engaging, interesting melee game you really need some kind of view that lets you see all around your character, some kind of dodge/parry/block system to tie into that and give a sense of mastery and control to the fight, and a variety of moves that are available on-demand and not locked behind a clunky one-button system.

Wrong.
Put Tonkor, Sonicor, Ignis or Boltor in any of those games and it's guaranteed melee will take a backseat too. Also that would make the enemies too easy since they're mostly melee or designed to be cruahed by melee heroes. Since the heroes are gunning them, they'll need to be upgraded to guns too.

We also have dodging and blocking except people barely use it since enemies die too fast. It's the problem with having the combos too. By the time you have to deal with enemies strong enough to withstand 3 hits attacks and needing higher tier combos to dispatch, that's when the enemies could swaem and surround you and shoot you to death in seconds.

Lasly, all of your examples are single player games. They could design the fights easier by limiting the encounters. Melee, in essence, is a well designed cage match. Even beat em ups are always in a "cage" arena. You can't do that with co-op free roaming around the map. The closest to that is the musou series where everyone is melee.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Hey goons and goonettes,

How's Warframe these days? I recall playing it for about 10 hours and enjoying it before getting distracted by other games and now I'd like to reinstall it. Still worth playing?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

PsychicToaster posted:

Hey goons and goonettes,

How's Warframe these days? I recall playing it for about 10 hours and enjoying it before getting distracted by other games and now I'd like to reinstall it. Still worth playing?

I think it's better than it's ever been. There's more content, more tile sets, more weapons, more frames, and more poo poo to play with.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Awesome, I watched a video of the PVP earlier and it was actually pretty good looking. The commentary was about how balanced it is, granted it was a year old video and that might have changed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god no

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

PsychicToaster posted:

Awesome, I watched a video of the PVP earlier and it was actually pretty good looking. The commentary was about how balanced it is, granted it was a year old video and that might have changed.

stop

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Goons hate PVP a lot.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

aegof posted:

Goons hate PVP a lot.

Nah it's more the fact that DE has a whole team focused on PvP, but somehow fail to see that unless they A- invest in some dedicated servers for it and B-make all frames move considerably slower, PvP will stay the way it is now, a borderline unplayable cesspool. Which is a pity because the potential is huge.

Any discussion about PvP makes people either sad or angry.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I am angry

Angry about PvP

If Archwing had a whole team dedicated to it maybe it would've been unfucked sooner, but nooo

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
the PVP team is like two people.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They have enough problems with the base game with a lot more people, it's unlikely to see PvP do much better as a result. WoW PvP had a crap-ton more people on it yet it never achieved the kind of e-Sports cred that MOBAs and Starcraft did, and they acknowledge years afterward that there's a lot of fundamental design decisions are what led to keeping WoW PvP from being balanced. Meanwhile, Guild Wars did a lot of what the WoW team would have wanted to do and it's still not quite as balanced as you'd hope either.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Denzine posted:

The operative word is 'team' :v: And the implication that PvP is all they work on, nothing else. Having some dedicated people to Archwing certainly couldn't have hurt any.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I laughed and laughed and laughed when I just now took a look at the current conclave arsenal and noticed Ignis isn't there.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Denzine posted:

It's more than the people who work on archwing... :negative:

PVP in warframe is just awful because the game was never once designed around it. The game was never meant to be played like that and it feels bad on every level. It would be like adding in 4 player vs into Street Fighter.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
someone hasnt played guilty gear isuka :smug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh, apparently I bought a thing from Baro at some point and then forgot about it during my latest break. It oughta go together nicely with this thing I got from a sortie a while back.

Time to throw some Forma at my Sancti Tigris, I think. :getin:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Time to throw a forma onto SOMETHING. :eyepop:

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."
Speaking of Baro, if you use warframe.market this greasemonkey script will add the ducat value of whatever prime parts you have up for sale on your order page: http://pastebin.com/bvUcfMc3

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us
PS4 has an invasion up for an Orokin Catalyst Blueprint and it's going fast. Marid, on Sedna.

Janana fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 24, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm getting rid of some old event weapons. Any reason why I should not toss out any of the following?

Latron Wraith
Snipetron
Wraith Twin Vipers
Lato Vandal

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pretty sure the Lato Vandal is unique to founders and will never come around again.

Also don't throw out event weapons, what the hell slots are 6p.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lato Vandal is closed Beta.

Latron wraith is the best latron variant, snipetron is garbage.

But you will never be able to get them back.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm getting rid of some old event weapons. Any reason why I should not toss out any of the following?

Latron Wraith
Snipetron
Wraith Twin Vipers
Lato Vandal
Why would you do that? Just keep them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Wraith vipers are pretty good in a world where they don't consume eight times as much ammo as lex prime. Maybe someday we'll get the ammo overhaul we've needed for years.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

To be fair I sold the Gorgon Wraith because I literally hate every aspect about that weapon. No part of it was enjoyable to me, and the open slot is worth far far more to me than the weapon ever was. On the other hand the Gorgon Wraith came around a few times, and considering some other wraith weapons have been in the sortie pool, I'd lay down money it'll come back again that way.

Of course, knowing my luck, any sorties I run will drop parts for it. :v:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Having it in your inventory will not safe your from parts dropping for it if the Karak Wraith is any indication, so just be happy you got a free slot out of it.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
IIRC the Latron Wraith is also silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

The new lighting stuff looks pretty neat.

DE working hard to keep the "Most Disproportionately Good-Looking Game" title it seems.