Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Simplex posted:

Clara Barton is such an easy and obvious answer that I feel like I'm missing something that nobody has brought her up.
Seriously. In the same vein, Dorothea dix., though Clara Barton gets my vote for...whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

whitey delenda est posted:

A hundred percent agreed, but there needs to be LGBT representation up in there and we only have so many slots!

I want RuPaul on the three dollar note so we can retire that stupid phrase because ain't no one queerer than the Supermodel of the World :colbert: :gay:

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

mdemone posted:

See, this is what I always say to people, but lately I've heard some yammering about how her support for eugenics is way overblown, so now I don't really know what to think because there is a confusion of primary source material out there.

I get what you're saying but even any ties to the eugenics movement is pretty suspect. This country has a long ugly history of straight up sterilizing women - especially women of color - without their consent. The history is awful enough that it's hard to look at even the possibility of her having "only" a sympathetic view of the eugenics movement as being something we can just say 'well that's just what people thought back then!' and overlook it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Money chat has to be the most vapid of all derails.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah, Picard would never stand for this poo poo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah, Picard would never stand for this poo poo.

Seriously, he's got so many other important things to debate and discuss like

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like there's been WWAAAYYY worse derails than this.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

mdemone posted:

See, this is what I always say to people, but lately I've heard some yammering about how her support for eugenics is way overblown, so now I don't really know what to think because there is a confusion of primary source material out there.

Sanger's support of eugenics is both overblown and to some degree true. But in any event not all eugenics is "put the Others in death camps." There was also "positive eugenics" of encouraging genetically "fit" people to breed, as well as less extreme "negative eugenics" such as letting people choose not to have kids via birth control. Compulsory sterilization became a big deal to be sure (especially in California, which had 1/3 of the entire nation's compulsory sterilizations), which continued well into the 1960s.

Eugenics is certainly against modern ethics. On the other hand, the basic prospect of "encourage two carriers of Tay-Sachs to consider adoption instead of having a kid" isn't quite the level of sex-selective abortions, much less Auschwitz. We tend to paint with a broad brush when it comes to the term, which makes sense given the history of deep deep connection to racism, but lots of people even today are actually totally cool with the basic premise of using science to ensure genetically healthy kids. It's a complex thing where the term is more taboo than the subject itself, really, because of historical circumstance (including, again, deep ties to fundamentally racist follow-through).

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 18, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

there wolf posted:

People who are most dead and people feigning outrage over a past event that had no effect on their lives beyond being something they can point to as insufficiently warmongering. But you're right that it's just the reality we live in where one of our very few historical female political figures is considered unworthy or recognition because she stuck to her principles. Insert some joke about the Republican party now here.

Declaring war on Japan after Pearl Harbor was warmongering? As for sticking to your guns, Trump does that just fine but his poo poo is retarded so he gets no points for speaking his mind. Same thing going on here. Not declaring war after thousands are killed in an overt attack is retarded.

SwingShift posted:

I get what you're saying but even any ties to the eugenics movement is pretty suspect. This country has a long ugly history of straight up sterilizing women - especially women of color - without their consent. The history is awful enough that it's hard to look at even the possibility of her having "only" a sympathetic view of the eugenics movement as being something we can just say 'well that's just what people thought back then!' and overlook it.

Dig through history and you'll find that tons of people from the past have super bad traits. As long as Andrew Jackson is on there, though...

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 18, 2016

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Daniel Bryan posted:

Have some fun with money chat instead.

https://twitter.com/CNNMoney/status/721473869912129536

Your :10bux: is safe with Hamilton for now.

Am I the only one getting sick of all this Jackson bashing? Seriously, the guy did nothing wrong. What were the loving Indians doing with that land, anyway? Oh that's right, NOTHING! "We've gotta scalp and torture men, women and children to keep the white man from stealing the land and resources we're not taking advantage of at all!"

Can we PLEASE stop pretending the Indians were these sweet little angels who never did anything wrong? They were loving savages and deserved everything they got. End of story.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

staticman posted:

Am I the only one getting sick of all this Jackson bashing? Seriously, the guy did nothing wrong. What were the loving Indians doing with that land, anyway? Oh that's right, NOTHING! "We've gotta scalp and torture men, women and children to keep the white man from stealing the land and resources we're not taking advantage of at all!"

Can we PLEASE stop pretending the Indians were these sweet little angels who never did anything wrong? They were loving savages and deserved everything they got. End of story.

You can't be that obvious dude. Go read amergin's posts for a prep course.

My unironic wish is to replace Jackson with Sacagawea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simplex posted:

Clara Barton is such an easy and obvious answer that I feel like I'm missing something that nobody has brought her up.

Congrats on copying Scott Walker's answer.

Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Walker, and Christi all gave actual historic American Women answers(Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Abagail Adams). Trump added Rosa Parks as an after thought to his daughter. Huckabee and Carson said family members. Bush and Kasich gave non-American women while Fiorina said nobody.

staticman posted:

Wait, we don't hate him for causing one of Florida's largest cities to no longer be named Cowford?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 18, 2016

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

DeusExMachinima posted:

You can't be that obvious dude. Go read amergin's posts for a prep course.

My unironic wish is to replace Jackson with Sacagawea.

Oh for fucks... Another thing I'm sick of is when I state my views, from the bottom of my heart, everyone immediately assumes I'm trolling. This isn't trolling, they are/were literal loving poo poo. They were dancing naked around a fire while we were building an empire. I'm stating the facts. gently caress this loving Indian apologism, I'm done with it, done. They offered nothing to the world, never have, never will.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

staticman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 18, 2016

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

A pro-read op-Ed from NC:

Awake, good North Carolina, from the reign of the zombie kings

Well written and researched.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

staticman posted:

Oh for fucks... Another thing I'm sick of is when I state my views, from the bottom of my heart, everyone immediately assumes I'm trolling. This isn't trolling, they are/were literal loving poo poo. They were dancing naked around a fire while we were building an empire. I'm stating the facts. gently caress this loving Indian apologist, I'm done with it, done. They offered nothing to the world, never have, never will.

kk

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

staticman posted:

ANDREW JACKSON

DID NOTHING WRONG

This was actually a fun brush-up on my 19th century US history! :eng101:

- Economic policies caused the Panic of 1837 and 4 years of economic depression
- Pro-slavery, actively hostile to the abolitionist movement
- Started the spoils system, installed corrupt public officials
- Policies contributed to the deaths of thousands of Native American civilians and their forced relocation

staticman posted:

when I state my views, from the bottom of my heart, everyone immediately assumes I'm trolling.

:iiam:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 18, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

staticman posted:

Oh for fucks... Another thing I'm sick of is when I state my views, from the bottom of my heart, everyone immediately assumes I'm trolling. This isn't trolling, they are/were literal loving poo poo. They were dancing naked around a fire while we were building an empire. I'm stating the facts. gently caress this loving Indian apologism, I'm done with it, done. They offered nothing to the world, never have, never will.

:yikes:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

staticman posted:

Ayn Rand, is that you??

Ayn Rand posted:

If you are born in a magnificent country which you don’t know what to do with, you believe that it is a property right; it is not. And, since the Indians did not have any property rights—they didn’t have the concept of property; they didn’t even have a settled, society, they were predominantly nomadic tribes; they were a primitive tribal culture, if you want to call it that—if so, they didn’t have any rights to the land, and there was no reason for anyone to grant them rights which they had not conceived and were not using.

It would be wrong to attack any country which does respect—or try, for that matter, to respect—individual rights, because if they do, you are an aggressor and you are morally wrong to attack them. But if a country does not protect rights—if a given tribe is the slave of its own tribal chief—why should you respect the rights they do not have?

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This was actually a fun brush-up on my 19th century US history! :eng101:

- Economic policies caused the Panic of 1837 and 4 years of economic depression
- Pro-slavery, actively hostile to the abolitionist movement
- Started the spoils system, installed corrupt public officials
- Policies contributed to the deaths of thousands of Native American civilians and their forced relocation

:iiam:

Yes, I know I said Jackson did nothing wrong, but that still doesn't excuse the savagery inflicted upon innocent settlers.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

staticman posted:

Your opinions from the bottom of your heart suck then.

Genocide is never, ever in the right regardless of anything ever. So what if they spent all day naked. Not deserving of genocide.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

And now all I can think about was when the founding fathers started bitching about how when folks actually hung out with the Native Americans they had a bad habit of going "man gently caress this poo poo" and trying to join up with the local tribes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

A good article and pro-click

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

DemeaninDemon posted:

Your opinions from the bottom of your heart suck then.

Genocide is never, ever in the right regardless of anything ever. So what if they spent all day naked. Not deserving of genocide.

That would be the case if they also weren't directly in the way of and violently against our expansion. If they just accepted the inevitable and joined civilization and took up it's values, we wouldn't have had to do what was necessary.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

staticman posted:

That would be the case if they also weren't directly in the way of and violently against our expansion. If they just accepted the inevitable and joined civilization and took up it's values, we wouldn't have had to do what was necessary.

Hmm yes, I wonder how that went.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

It was either forced relocation, or Jackson sit on his hands and let endless massacres happen. He chose the lesser of two evils.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What staticman is saying is that might makes right, which means it's right for the government to seize all of his possessions and land if it's the mightier one. This is obvious a self-evident belief of Sovereign Citizens

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

staticman posted:

Yes, I know I said settlers did nothing wrong, but that still doesn't excuse the savagery inflicted upon innocent natives.

OK, I've had my fun. To the ignore list with thee. :byewhore:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

God, I forgot NC had the Research Triangle.

This article also reminded me of Bruce Bueno de Mesquita's The Dictator's Handbook, which, to summarize, basically reminds us that democracies can be just as bad (and even worse) than dictatorships if the people for whom officials depend on for support are horrible, which is why gerrymandering is so insanely damaging. Nothing new for anyone who pays attention to politics, but god it's depressing to know how easy it is to take a government from star pupil to shitshow overnight. :sigh:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

DeusExMachinima posted:

Declaring war on Japan after Pearl Harbor was warmongering? As for sticking to your guns, Trump does that just fine but his poo poo is retarded so he gets no points for speaking his mind. Same thing going on here. Not declaring war after thousands are killed in an overt attack is retarded.

Wringing you hands over a pacifist voting against going to war, after she did it once before for the same reasons, is stupid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the inca were cool

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

staticman posted:

Which nations are we talking about here? Like did the Nez Perce form a 300-style wall of angry spear men?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

corn in the bible posted:

the inca were cool

And a good example of what happens when corporations run amok. :v: It's just that in their case the corporations were the estates of undead emperors.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

staticman posted:

It was either forced relocation, or Jackson sit on his hands and let endless massacres happen. He chose the lesser of two evils.

Ayn Rand posted:

But now, as to the Indians, I don’t even care to discuss that kind of alleged complaints that they have against this country. I do believe with serious, scientific reasons the worst kind of movie that you have probably seen—worst from the Indian viewpoint—as to what they did to the white man.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Jackson was good for two things. Ending the presidency being a aristocrat only club. Along with putting in place a precedent for dealing with secessionist traitors.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

staticman posted:

ugh why are these assholes attacking us again

fat lot of good those treaties did, the savages

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey Dad, does Mom know you spent :10bux: on a forums account so you can complain about the Cherokee?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Hey Dad, does Mom know you spent :10bux: on a forums account so you can complain about the Cherokee?

What's bad is this is poo poo I have literally heard from my 83 year old Okie grandmother. It's baffling that someone who is ostensibly younger than 50 shares identical beliefs with a woman born in the 30's in rural goddamn Oklahoma and still refers to Brazil nuts in a particularly offensive way.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Q: What is the sound of one invisible hand clapping?

A: A mandate for Helen Keller on all denominations of US currency.

Namaste

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

staticman posted:

When was the last time you enjoyed squash? Or how about tepary beans and the potential they have to lead to more drought-tolerant bean crops as climate change leads to an increased frequency of drought? Or how about the Hohokam, a lithic society that created canals that would impress the Romans if they were to have seen them, given the technology the Hohokam had to work with and who kept their system working for 1500 years of stability, over 5 times longer than the United States was a nation. And what about how the Maya created vulcanized rubber a full 2000 years before Europeans did? You like avocados? They domesticated those. Maize of course, and also turkey, also domesticated by native groups, I'm sure you've eaten those.

Or maybe you don't care about any of this because you're an ignorant, bigoted racist.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

KiteAuraan posted:

When was the last time you enjoyed squash? Or how about tepary beans and the potential they have to lead to more drought-tolerant bean crops as climate change leads to an increased frequency of drought? Or how about the Hohokam, a lithic society that created canals that would impress the Romans if they were to have seen them, given the technology the Hohokam had to work with and who kept their system working for 1500 years of stability, over 5 times longer than the United States was a nation. And what about how the Maya created vulcanized rubber a full 2000 years before Europeans did? You like avocados? They domesticated those. Maize of course, and also turkey, also domesticated by native groups, I'm sure you've eaten those.

Or maybe you don't care about any of this because you're an ignorant, bigoted racist.

Or you could read up on what they ACTUALLY did to settlers, instead of praising them as noble savages blindly. Also, it's not racist to recite historical facts, which is what these are, whether you like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

staticman posted:

Or you could read up on what they ACTUALLY did to settlers, instead of praising them as noble savages blindly. Also, it's not racist to recite historical facts, which is what these are, whether you like it or not.

Yeah, I've read that. I've also read what settlers and soldiers did, unprovoked, to men like Mangas Coloradas. You're a racist and an ignorant poo poo.

• Locked thread