Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Lords of the Realm

Feudal Votes:
  • HiHo ChiRho - 6
  • Jossar - 5
  • Rody One Half – 5
  • Erwin the German - 6
  • Pakled - 4
  • TheFlyingLlama - 4
  • AJ-Impy - 6
  • Zikan - 4
  • Lord Cyrahzax - 4
  • Mirdini – 6
  • Captain Mediocre - 4
  • Angstrom Gothington – 4
  • Flavius Aetass - 6
  • Xelkelvos - 4
  • Freudian - 4
  • sheep-doger - 6
  • i81icu812 - 4
  • Obliterati - 4
  • Pacho - 4
  • Yavuz - 4
  • Vinny Possum - 4
  • Hattie Masters - 4
  • megane - 4
  • QuoProQuid - 6
  • Clayren - 6
  • Thordain - 4
  • TinTower - 4
  • habeasdorkus - 3
  • Flesnolk - 3
  • Zedhe Khoja - 3
  • Frionnel - 3
  • Technowolf - 3
  • Luhood - 3
  • Soup du Jour - 3
  • Slaan - 3
  • Gigagar - 6
  • WilliamAnderson - 3
  • Ralepozozaxe - 4
  • Grizzwold - 2
  • mcclay - 3
  • really queer Christmas - 1
  • Shogeton - 1
  • rudecyrus - 1
  • SirPhoebos - 1
  • JT Jag - 1
  • fish and chips and dip - 1

Factions:

Mirdini posted:

Faction Tally leading of the 1240 Session

Faith Eternal (Religious Expansionism & Reformed Catholicism)

Leader: Pope-Chaplain Temeluchus (Erwin the German)
Members: Prince-Marshal Geoffroy (AJ_Impy), Prince Bouchard (Captain Mediocre), Emperor-Preferent Nicolas (HiHoChiRho), Prince-Spymaster Humbert II (Flavius Aetass), Prince-Advisor Renaud (Clayren), Prince Robèrt (Lord Cyrahzax), Prince-Chancellor Mathieu II (Mirdini), Countess Aldara (Frionnel), Prince-Steward Géraud (sheep-dodger), Prince Humbert II (Freudian)
# of members/votes: 11 members, 57 votes

A Gilded Tomorrow (Economy/Merchantry/Innovation)

Leader: Doge-Liaison Rasul (Gigagar)
Members: Count Sigismond (Technowolf), Prince Michael (Hattie Masters), Count Aymar (Slaan), Doge Pijoul (Thordain), Countess Peronelle (Zedhe Khoja), Princess Gwen (megane), Doge Jakob (Ralepozozaxe), Lord Mayor Ya'qub (WilliamAnderson), Prince Joakim (Pacho), Princess Potamina (Xelkelvos), Lord Mayor Ali (mcclay), King Arsenios (Rody One Half), Countess Berjouhi (Flesnolk)
# of members/votes: 14 members, 52 votes

Friendly Association Against Mongolian Aggression (Sinicized Anti-Mongolism)

Leader: Prince-Advisor Jingzong (QuoProQuid)
Members: Prince Ghiyasaddin (Angstrom Gothington), Prince Rhodri (TinTower),
# of members/votes: 3 members, 14 votes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independents

Members: Prince Humbert (i81icu812), Prince Renaud (Obliterati), Princess Sirvart (Yavuz), Count Gerberge (VACANT), Count Sigismond (Soup du Jour), Prince Humbert (Vinny Possum), Count Mukhtar (habeasdorkus), Prince Fredrik (Pakled), Princely Grandmaster Guruant (VACANT), Queen Agnes (Jossar), Count Clotaire (Luhood), Captain Iccaam (VACANT), Patrician Mikail (Grizzwold), Princess Cristen (Zikan), Princess Mathilde (TheFlyingLlama)
# of members/votes: 15 members, 53 votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

The Papacy delegates four votes to the Realm Stabilization Act and two to the Invisible Cities Act.

Imperial Examination - Aye, this eastern wisdom might have some worth here as well.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal - Abstain. He is well suited to the role, however, but House de Marash's service should not be taken for granted.
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart - Aye, I would relish the chance to determine this conclusively.
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed - Aye - we should ensure unity on the council, after all.
Advance Noble Customs technology - Aye.
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent - Nay, if only due to my preference for Doge Jakob.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent - Aye.
Advance Legalism technology - Nay, our focus ought to be elsewhere currently.
Send the Gilded Geese to the East - Aye, go forth and discover!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Fixed Invisible Cities, should be a law and not a policy

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

A Thermidor Duo goes to make their vote, as Obeko is still in school and cannot attend.

4 votes for It's time for a party.

As for Directives:

Imperial Examination: Aye!
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Aye!
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Nay!
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay!
Advance Noble Customs technology: Aye!
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Aye!
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Nay!
Advance Legalism technology: Nay!
Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I'll make this quick. Prince Rhanor of Cephalonia will place three votes in favour of the Invisible Cities Act and one vote in favour of the Cour Appeasement Act.

As for directives:

• Imperial Examination: Aye.
  • Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Aye, the man is a beast on the field of battle.
  • Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Abstain, the matters of the new faith are not for me to speak upon.
  • Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay, I disagree with a test of faith for any council position, and my vote for Jakob's martialship would contradict this anyway.
  • Advance Noble Customs technology: Nay, I would much rather advance tolerance.
  • Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Aye, he can be trusted to treat all fairly in the unfortunate incapacitance of our Emperor.
  • Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Nay, he'll be too busy on the field of battle.
  • Advance Legalism technology: Nay, see above.
  • Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye, why not?

TinTower fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 7, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

3 votes to the Realm Stabilization Act

Directives -
Imperial Examination: Aye
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Aye
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Aye
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay
Advance Noble Customs technology: Aye
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Nay
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Aye
Advance Legalism technology: Nay
Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Changing my votes to:

Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Aye
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Nay

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

House Toulouse puts its four votes in for Realm Stabilization.

Imperial Examination - Aye
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal - Nay
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart - Aye
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed - Aye
Advance Noble Customs technology - Aye
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent - Nay
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent - Nay
Advance Legalism technology - Nay
Send the Gilded Geese to the East - Aye

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Emperor Preferent Nicolas

The Emperor delegates three votes to the Realm Stabilization Act and three to the Invisible Cities Act.

Imperial Examination - Aye, this eastern wisdom might have some worth here as well.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal - Nay. He is well suited to the role, however, but House de Marash's service should not be taken for granted.
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart - Aye, The pope would relish the chance to determine this conclusively.
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed - Aye - we should ensure unity on the council, after all.
Advance Noble Customs technology - Aye.
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent - Nay, if only due to my preference for Doge Jakob.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent - Aye.
Advance Legalism technology - Nay, our focus ought to be elsewhere currently.
Send the Gilded Geese to the East - Aye, go forth and discover!

Emperor Prerogatives:
-Betroth my heir Amaury Carpanel to the youngest sister of House Blaidydd
-Marry/betroth my niece matrilineally to one of the young boys of House Marash
-hook up the rest of any free daughter's or granddaughters of Josselin by betrothal or marriage to any acceptable offers matrilineally to ensure the Carpanel line breeds fine warriors to defend Jerusalem
-deploy the council in a manner to best preserve realm stability and prevent civil wars or insurrection
-distribute any excess titles as recommended in the realm stability act

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 7, 2020

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Prince Renaud Konopka of Thessalonika

The Prince of Thessalonika stands to address the assembly once more. The Frog and Hemp heraldry on his armor gleams with a recently applied coat of paint.

"I cast three (3) votes to the Realm Stabilization Act and another three (3) for the Invisible Cities Act. Investment in the economics and harmony of the realm is always a wise move. As for the directives..."

NAY to Imperial Examination "While I do not reject this idea in theory, I would need to better understand what such a system would entail before giving it my support."
ABSTAIN to Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal "Given how tense the empire is at the moment, I think it unwise to swap councilors around in so hasty a fashion.
AYE to Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart "While the late king was not an uncontroversial figure, his victory in the Crusade for Anatolia makes him worth consideration."
AYE to Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed "I agree that we should ensure unity on the council."
AYE to Advance Noble Customs technology "The ceremonies of court may seem dull or pointless at times, but it is essential that the majesty of the crown be always highlighted."
NAY to Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent "I am of the opinion that there is a better option."
AYE to Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent "Doge Jakob would be preferable, in my opinion."
NAY to Advance Legalism technology
AYE to Send the Gilded Geese to the East "The eldest daughter of my late cousin Patrician Simon Konopka has asked my support in this endeavor and I give it gladly. I am certain Adele will bring honor to her father and to the House of Konopka as a talented duelist and merchant."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Princess Gwen of Hadramut and Oman

The princess is pointedly absent from the session, but sends a curt letter from Oman assigning House Cynwrig's four votes to the Time for a Party Act.

Directives:
Imperial Examination - Aye, the education of our officials is in a sorry state.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal - Aye.
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart - Nay. This council should have nought to do with religious affairs.
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed - Nay, likewise.
Advance Noble Customs technology - Abstain.
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent - Abstain. Both candidates are fine.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent - Abstain.
Advance Legalism technology - Abstain.
Send the Gilded Geese to the East - Aye.

Gigagar
Nov 6, 2013

A bit of a fruit.

Three(3) votes for It's time for a party, two (2) for Urban Reinvesting Act, and one(1) for Ready My Carpet

Directives:

Imperial Examination: Nay - So tedious, who needs exams.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Aye! - His skills of commanding the board in the Semi-annual All Merchant War Game Society Tournament is legendary, I'm sure he will do fine on the field.
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Nay! - Doesn't hold a candle to Saint Muhammad. Besides, the voices tell me that he's not exactly up there, you know what I'm saying?
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay! - Rasul appears to turn lucid for a brief moment - This is a blatant attack on one of Jerusalem's founding pillars of diversity and tolerance for all faiths and creeds. I condemn in the strongest possible terms Prince Geoffrey's disregard of our ability to carry out our duly appointed jobs regardless of the faith we carry, and the implication that we should "agree" to change our faiths in order to perform our tasks to the Emperor's satisfaction.
Advance Noble Customs technology: Nay! - What have they ever done for us?
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Aye! - He is more than qualified for the job, and his faith, while unknown to most of us, will not deepen the divide between us in regards to the debate over Catholic v Reformed.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Nay! - For he will be too busy fighting giant Eggs with me in the Kefid Empire and beyond!
Advance Legalism technology: Aye! - My accountants tell me this will be good for business.
Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye! - Go east, my son.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Jo it's busy so it's up to timid Ben to cast the Estrid votes:

2 votes for It's time for a party and 2 votes for Urban Reinvestment Act.

As for Directives:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Two votes for the Realm Stabilization Bill. One vote for It's time for a Party!

Ayes
Imperial Examination
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart
Advance Noble Customs technology
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent
Send the Gilded Geese to the East

Nays
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent
Advance Legalism technology

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 7, 2020

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Adjusted my royal prerogatives slightly as so:

Betroth my heir Amaury Carpanel to the youngest sisters of House Blaidydd

Also I am adjusting my directives upon conference with my colleagues

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 7, 2020

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Well then, at least the policies on offer are relatively straightforward and sensible. Three votes to The Invisible Cities Act, and three votes to the Realm Stabilization Bill.

On the matter of directives, however...

Imperial Examination: I must expound on this. I appreciate the intention of this bill, as I greatly valued my own education in letters and conduct. However, I urge my fellow Cour members to read the text in full:

quote:

All unlanded courtiers who wish to serve the Emperor and his noble Cour must pass an imperial examination in which they are tested on philosophy (Christian, Islamic and Confucian), calligraphy, and arithmetic.

These are noble pursuits, to be sure, but requiring *all* courtiers to pass such an examination will bias our court toward a very specific skill-set. Do we not still require brave warriors and tacticians for our dreams of driving back the Mongol menace? Such an examination will not allow them to serve, as they will have spent their time studying siege tactics or logistics rather than calligraphy and philosophy. A more expansive or flexible examination is something I might support, but this particular proposal would act to the detriment of our realm.

A strong Nay, and for the good of Jerusalem I implore those who have already voted Aye to reconsider.

Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Abstain. I am conceding Galilee to Geoffroy. If he desires further support in other matters, especially after addressing my own vassal as if on my behalf, I will have to be convinced.

Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Nay. My namesake did not die to see the tyrant glorified in this manner.

Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay. For Cour members this is a matter between them and their liege and the pope.

Advance Noble Customs technology: Aye. While I regret any delay in the focus on cultural tolerance, other customs should not be neglected entirely.

Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Nay. I have made my position on this clear, I hope.

Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Aye. Similarly.

Advance Legalism technology: Nay, the focus on etiquette and customs takes priority.

Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye. A capital venture.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

3 votes for It's time for a party.

Directives:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Six Votes to Realm Stabilization.

Onto the matter of directives.

Imperial Examination: Nay. Confucian philosophy? Calligraphy? Hearkening to China before the steppe invaders did to it what they did to the Holy Roman Empire. Not every unlanded courtier in Jerusalem is a scholar of the history of a fallen empire thousands of miles and dozens of decades ago. Nor should we expect them to be. This would require them to be. Rescind this folly.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Nay. The position is already occupied. Go defeat the Mongols, Jakob, then we'll discuss your worthiness. That's what I had to do, earning my place by valor rather than mercantile book-learning. Have you ever even led an army into battle?
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Aye. God gave him the victory against overwhelming odds, with a de Marash at his side where few others were loyal.
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Aye. I am the Marshal, it is my will. I have no intention to give up either my seat or my faith, nor to bequeath one without the other.
Advance Noble Customs technology: Aye. It is evident we do need to get along better.
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Nay. There is a better candidate.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Aye. Here's where that book learning becomes an advantage. I am a soldier, a crusader. I have dedicated my life for decades to fighting for Jerusalem and studying the one true faith. Jakob, on the other hand, is a polymath. A masterful diplomat with few peers, a master of strategy upon the tabletop if not proven in the field, canny in the face of subtle threats, and with a solid grounding in education. this is a role to which he is far better suited than trying to cram him in a position where a career soldier sits and should abide.
Advance Legalism technology: Nay. Less fractious action between nobles is a more pressing need.
Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye. I wish my kinsman and his crewmates godspeed.

To the Chancellor, the prince of Damascus and Aswan, this petulance ill-suits a fellow councillor and peer of the realm. Support or withhold support as you desire, for you are sovereign in your realm and your decisions are your own. If the fall of the Khan and his horde on the fields of Famia will not convince you of my worthiness to lead our armies, then your standards are not based on military merit, and thus it is a fool's errand to guess at them. However... The point on chastising your vassal for his outburst is fairly taken. That would be your responsibility rather than mine, and I concede overstepping our bounds in this regard for which I apologise.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Phone posting so I can't do a big fancy post like normal but

4 votes to It's Time For A Party

And I abstain on all directives except for

Appointing Doge Jakob as regent
Sending the Guilded Geese East

For which I vote Aye

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Hattie Masters posted:

Appointing Doge Jakob as regent

Sorry for double post but I meant to say marshal. I support Doge Jakob for Marshal.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

5 votes for urban reinvestment

Imperial Examination: Nay!

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
House Mersir puts Three votes in support of urban reinvestment and one vote in support of It's Time For A Party

Directives:

Imperial Examination: Nay
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Aye - I would hope that we could agree on putting the best people in charge but I understand people feel bad about depriving one of the Emperor's cronies of this position.
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Nay
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay
Advance Noble Customs technology: Aye
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: Aye
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: Nay
Advance Legalism technology: Nay
Send the Gilded Geese to the East: Aye

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

"After some further reflection on the matter, I'm afraid I find I must deviate from the wishes of House de Marash regarding the faith of the marshal. In regards to his own personage and deviation from the faith, if he finds that his thoughts have been straying from proper worship and must needs be guided back to the right path, that is a matter he may discuss with the Emperor or myself. To dictate the faith of his potential rival in Doge Jakob as a failsafe seems to me a recipe for resentment - though his worship be antiquated for now, ours is a welcoming faith, and I would prefer he find his path through reflection and experience, not through legislative force.

Let it not be said I desire a flock bred through coercion. Let requests be made, let our clerics see to the needs of the misguided and lost, let our words be persuasive, but let the answer always be of one's own choosing."

Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: Nay.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

4 votes for The Invisible Cities Act

Directives:
Imperial Examination - Nay
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal - Nay
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed - Aye
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent - Nay

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

YIJIAN "THE ENORMOUS" OF XIN XI'IAN AND JINGZONG OF HELLAS

HELLO, FRIENDS, COURTIERS, AND PEASANTS. IT IS I, YIJIAN AND I AM HERE TO DISTRIBUTE MY VOTES FOR THIS SESSION. LET ME JUST REVIEW WHAT HAS BEEN SAID EARLIER IN THE SESSION BEFORE I—.

Mirdini posted:

I apologize for the misunderstanding, and the... strident defense my dear compatriot in the Faith Eternal has mounted.

I did not mean to disparage the good Jingzong's faith, the two clauses were unrelated, and my consideration for the appointment is also not meant to be based on religion. Jakob, you will note, remains a faithful old catholic.

I simply think Prince Jingzong has a solid position as an advisor in our court, one in which he and his wisdom are well appreciated, and that Jakob is a more appropriate choice for regent considering the martial challenges our realm yet faces.

I UNDERSTAND WHERE THE MISCOMMUNICATION EMERGED. YOU SAID THAT YOU WISHED TO PROMOTE MATTERS FOR THE FAITH, WHICH I INTERPRETED AS AN IMPLICIT ACT OF INTOLERANCE. PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED OR HURT BY MY WORDS, LITTLE MAN. IT IS JUST AS A PROUD AND WRATHFUL WARRIOR-DIPLOMAT, I CAN ALLOW MY FRUSTRATIONS TO GET THE BETTER OF ME.

NOW THAT THAT UNPLEASANTNESS IS OUT OF THE WAY, I WILL VOTE ON BEHALF OF MY UNCLE AND I. WE PLACE 2 VOTES FOR THE INVISIBLE CITIES ACT, 3 VOTES FOR THE COUR APPEASEMENT POLICY, and 1 VOTE FOR THE REALM STABILIZATION BILL.

I VOTE ON DIRECTIVES AS FOLLOWS:

Imperial Examination: AYE: I UNDERSTAND THE OBJECTIONS TO THIS ORDER, BUT AS WE HAVE A LARGE LANDED ARISTOCRACY THAT IS MORE THAT CAPABLE OF MILITARY MATTERS, I FAIL TO SEE THE PROBLEM.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: AYE - WHILE OUR FAMILIES HAVE A VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY LONG AND UNPLEASANT HISTORY, NOT EVEN I CAN DENY THAT JAKOB POSSESSES... A CERTAIN INTELLECT AND CAPACITY. I WILL NOT ALLOW PERSONAL SQUABBLES TO GET IN THE WAY OF THE REALM'S SUCCESS.
Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: AYE SEVERIN SPARED MY GREAT GRANDFATHER. IF HE HAD NOT DONE SO, I WOULD NOT BE ALIVE, WHICH IS A FRIGHTENING THOUGHT!
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed: NAY THIS IS A MATER OF PERSONAL BELIEF.
Advance Noble Customs technology: AYE SURE, WHY NOT?
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent: AYE MY UNCLE? IS MORE THAN CAPABLE OF STEWARDING THE EMPIRE SHOULD THE WORST COME TO PASS.
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Designated Regent: NAY THIS SEEMS LIKE AN EXCESSIVE HONOR.
Advance Legalism technology: NAY I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT OUR LEGAL TRADITIONS RIGHT NOW.
Send the Gilded Geese to the East: AYE I THINK WE SHOULD TAKE EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLORE THE FARTHEST REACHES OF THE EARTH.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

Prince Ghiyassadin "the Resilient" al-Asqalan

A young Turk reads from a scroll penned by his imprisoned lord.

My eternal gratitude to the Emperor-Preferent and the Faith Eternal for their show of clemency with the Realm Stabilization Bill. I first took up arms against the mad Diogo, but in all the chaos somehow ended up on the opposing side of our new ruler. I think I am done with all this rebellion business for good. One vote for Realm Stabilization and three votes for Invisible Cities.

Directives:
Imperial Examination - Aye
Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal - Aye
Ensure the Marshal remains Reformed - Nay
Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent - Aye

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

3 votes for It's time for a party.

Directives:

Advance Legalism technology: Aye!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

"Another change - after further consultation with my fellows in faith, I have decided that while Doge Jakob would indeed do much good for the realm as marshal with his natural skills, that it is more prudent at the current to maintain House de Marash's seat upon the council. With hope, there will be time in the future to test Doge Jakob's skills in that esteemed position, but I do not think that time should be now."

Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal: Nay.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Prince Ali, Mighty is He of Mecca puts down all 3 votes for It's time for a party

Petition the Pope to Canonize Severin Lionheart: Aye!
Advance Legalism technology: Aye!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
aye on:

* jakob for marshal
* noble customs
* jingzong for regent
* explore east
* imperial examination

nay on:

* conversion
* jakob for regent
* legalism

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session is closed!:siren:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Final Vote Count for the 1240 Session

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session of 1240 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

No items have reached the 1/3rd or 2/3rds opposition limit.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1240

The Recess is comprised of the following Policies/Laws:

Also attached to the Recess are the following directives:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
The young Lord Mayor Ya'qub Andirsun, age 9, personally gives his farewells in the maiden voyage of the Gilded Goose. He stays afterwards, looking out as the ship disappears into the setting sun

Pacho fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 8, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

nice, added to the list

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They're all going to get eaten by sharks

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1240

* Raise a war memorial in honour of the victory at Famia

* Distribute excess titles, enforce realm peace, release Alexandria and Ascalon and ransom remaining prisoners

* Hold a tournament and a festival of fortune, send gifts as needed to avoid another civil war

* Invisible Cities Act, a law detailing the construction of county improvements, as follows

* Sanction the voyage of the Gilded Goose to the east

* Advance Noble Customs technology

* Appoint Doge Jakob of the Oresund Republic as Marshal

* Unlanded courtiers must be learned in philosophy, arithmetic, calligraphy to serve the Emperor-Preferent

* Appoint Prince Jingzong of Hellas as Designated Regent

Chapter 31 – Feasts and Tourneys – 1240 to 1245

When I departed my fortress on the Indus, crossed the eastern seas, marched into Jerusalem atop a war elephant and took my crown, some called me Usurper. Conqueror. Tyrant.

Well, they’re dead now – flayed and mauled and bambooed to death – and I reign from Temple Mount. I am the son of Saint Josselin, saviour of Jerusalem and defender of Christendom. I am the scion of Jerahmeel, the archangel that descended to roam and rule on Earth. I am Nicolas Carpenel, who has a stronger claim to Empire than I?

…but now, wracked by rebellion and civil war, my empire was bleeding. We needed peace.

So a declaration of enforced peace was made, with internal feuds and wars outlawed for a period of five years, and as a sign of my goodwill, the rebel lords that were still imprisoned were freed, pardoned and ransomed off.

As for those nobles that weren’t happy with the recent change of affairs, well, I was a very rich man – beautiful paintings and strange carvings, jeweled ornaments and precious stones, some lords even received great elephants from the Indias. That ought to make them happy.

And to celebrate my coming into the throne, a great tournament and festival was held just a year after my march into the Holy Land. Merchants, traders, pilgrims, famers and peasants, thousands of them followed their kings, princes, counts, barons and knights as they trickled into Jerusalem to spectate and participate.

Some of those who picked up lances would soon come to regret it, however.

The foolish and unfortunate aside, Count Ebbon emerged as the victor of the jousting tournament, whilst the Giant of Cathay (being too large to sit a horse) dominated the melee.

The games were followed by the traditional feasting and theatre, and after a week of festivities, the lords and ladies of Jerusalem departed for their own realms in festive moods.

But bribes and tournaments weren’t enough, the nobles needed to be reminded just how close we had to come to annihilation, they needed to be reminded why they still ruled.

So, just a few days before they departed Jerusalem, the memorial was unveiled.

Sand and rock had been quarried at Famia, that stretch of desert where Jerusalem prevailed over Mongol, and transported to the capital for this construction – Saint Josselin on a rearing warhorse, set atop an immense sandstone column chiseled with scenes of triumph and names of slain lords.

As for the thousands of commoners that flocked to Jerusalem with their lords, not all returned, so they were settled in a new town a few miles from Temple Mount.

The revelry, bribery and intimidation seemed to do the trick, and apart from a few peasant uprisings that were promptly crushed, the next few years were peaceful.

Gold quickly began piling in the treasury, and I took the opportunity to sink some it into my personal holdings on the Indus, establishing a large enclosure to train elephants for war.

Some gold was also invested into a line of fortresses along the Euphrates, with similar defenses erected along the banks of the Indus in the west.

The rest of the Empire didn’t see any investment, however. At least, not until the outbreak of disease in Egypt and Syria.

Sick houses were hurriedly constructed in Alexandria and Damietta, along with a new hospital in my ancestral castle in Hebron.

Unfortunately, it was too little too late.

And it was then, as disease swept across the Nile and Euphrates to meet at the Jordan River, that I started hearing the whispers, the voices, the commands

At the same time, a lord by the name of Joakim Estrid was slowly gathering a group of skilled and talented nobles in his court at Asyut. His reasons were unknown until Christmas of 1244, when he unveiled his new flagship – the Gilded Goose.

A direct descendant of Severin Lionheart, Joakim was determined to surpass the famous voyages of his ancestors, desperate to open the Kingdom of Prester John, eager to tread new lands and see strange creatures and meet new peoples, and all he needed now was approval from Jerusalem.

I gave them my blessing, and on the eve of 1245, the voyages of the Gilded Geese began.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Full list of characters will be updated tomorrow, and the session will open tomorrow.

Casualties:

- Arsenios, King on the Horn of India, succeeded by King Arsenios II.
- Mathieu II, Prince of Damascus and Aswan, succeeded by Prince Morydd II.
- Bouchard, Prince of Oultrejordain, succeeded by Prince Benoît.
- Ghiyasaddin, Prince of Ascalon, succeeded by Prince Ghiyasaddin II.
- Humbert II, Prince of Alexandria, succeeded by Prince Centule II.
- Jingzong, Prince of Hellas, succeeded by Princess Yao'er.
- Berhouji, Countess of Safed and Tyrus, succeeded by Countess Baydzar.
- Sigismond, Count of Irbid, succeeded by Count Léonard.
- Ali Shukrid, Lord of Mecca and Patrician of Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Lord Ala'i.
- Aarif d'Cathay, Patrician of Red Sea Republic, succeeded by Patrician Sadiq.
- Meir Erez Sender, Patrician of Oresund Republic, succeeded by Patrician Ezra.

Please declare your status as an independent or faction member, otherwise your new characters will be considered independent in the Haute Cour.

Politics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Regency of the Horn of India declares continued support of A Gilded Tomorrow