Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Montcalfe really overdid it with the puzzles and locked rooms

Sherlock Holmes would be a mighty different series if the books were just a series of puzzles being described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Kibayasu posted:

Sherlock Holmes would be a mighty different series if the books were just a series of puzzles being described.

'Ah, Watson! I'm glad that you have arrived.' said Holmes, lighting a cigarette 'The violent serial killer known as "The Hammersmith Hammerer" has given us his name and address in the form of a two-thousand piece jigsaw.'
'Shall I help with the edges?' said I.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
That mummy really needs to cut down on the fags.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Holmes explores the multi-roomed basement? Secret ground floor? It's the secret downstairs room that we found upstairs... This part of the game has some fairly generic puzzles as well as some very confusing ones. I'm not sure whether this game is being intentionally obtuse or not with some of the puzzles and mechanics, I feel like I'm missing something at times.

I mentioned in the video that there seems to be a slight discrepancy with the languages, we saw it in the first-ever puzzle in the lobby and there was another involving the keys in this video. After looking further into it I've discovered that Frogwares originates from Ukraine, my knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet is limited but it could explain a couple of things.

I'll upload the images later as not to spoil anything in this post.

Thesaya posted:

That mummy really needs to cut down on the fags.

After this video, I'm quite grateful that it cracked open a window to light up another one.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
What....

At least now I can cite Sherlock Holmes for hiding gin is a sign of good taste.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A couple of days late but this is my first small window of freedom in the past 48 hours. Here are the paperwork from the third video. I'll be doing some preparation for the fourth video soon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is going to turn out to be a Scooby Doo scenario with the mummy isn't it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Sherlock revisits some of the previous rooms that he has visited and they're looking rather worse for the wear. It seems like someone really is desperate to keep this mystery unsolved. There were only a handful of notes that we picked up in this part, I will upload them most likely tomorrow at some point.

It's been a long time since I last spoke about reading through the collection of stories. Throughout the LP of the Consulting Detective series, I struggled with reading through The Return Of Sherlock Holmes, it was a struggle to read through some of the stories compared to the earlier material. I read the The Hound Of The Baskervilles on a train ride up to Scotland last week and enjoyed it. I've only heard references to it before from various media, it was very different from what I had in mind and all the better for it. I'm going to start The Valley Of Fear next week on another return journey to Scotland.

Kibayasu posted:

This is going to turn out to be a Scooby Doo scenario with the mummy isn't it.

The question is, who would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for the meddlesome detective?

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 14, 2020

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I feel like I missed something there at the end. That was Lord Montcalfe? Something about a huge bomb set up in his study? Then someone fired a shot to fortuitously bar us from returning to his study?

And the beginning of this episode - I saw Parkey get shot at the end of the last episode, I guess that shot also triggered an explosion?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kacie posted:

I feel like I missed something there at the end. That was Lord Montcalfe? Something about a huge bomb set up in his study? Then someone fired a shot to fortuitously bar us from returning to his study?

And the beginning of this episode - I saw Parkey get shot at the end of the last episode, I guess that shot also triggered an explosion?

It seemed to be Lord Montcalfe, I'm not sure how a spinning clock could activate a "Nobel Bomb" but here we are. Was the shot intentional or did he miss? I'm not exactly sure what triggered the explosion that has destroyed half of the house without killing anyone. We need to work out who has a bandage fetish and who is doing the shooting.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Consulting Detective series will be entering the archives soon, it would have been sooner but I had to fix a couple of links. The next update of The Mystery Of The Mummy will be the last one, I completed a test run of the fifth part earlier and will be attempting a recording within the next couple of days.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kacie posted:

It definitely feels like the game is skipping over some important information, even assuming its holding something back for some grand reveal later. Certainly more concerned about being a puzzle game than anything else.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final episode of The Mystery Of The Mummy and I'm not going to spoil anything plot-wise. This episode features ten minutes cut from one puzzle, a special guest and a six-minute ending sequence that has a lot of audio glitches. Enjoy! We only found a couple of pieces of paperwork in this video, nothing that was worth taking a screenshot of.

The next game on the list: Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The Mystery of the Mummy felt really disjointed and opaque. Nothing seemed to flow together and the big reveal seemed pulled out of thin air.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I didn't follow that at all.

Maigius posted:

The Mystery of the Mummy felt really disjointed and opaque. Nothing seemed to flow together and the big reveal seemed pulled out of thin air.

It's hard to investigate and elucidate on things when you've got to deal with 4 step puzzles to enter a room, and especially when you apparently don't have the budget to do much besides text on a screen to explain things. It's definitely not the first game that confused puzzle solving with mystery solving,

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In October 1897, Sherlock Holmes and his trusted friend, Dr. Watson, are invited to a party hosted by Sir Melvyn Bromsby, a construction tycoon, in honor of the return of his daughter, Lavinia, from London. During his opening remarks, a gunshot kills Bromsby on the spot and creates pandemonium.

What is this?

Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Silver Earring is a point and click adventure game and the second in the Frogwares series. It was released in 2004 and is pretty clunky and glitchy even for the standards at the time, nevertheless, it's still pretty decent to play and holds a lot of charm.

LP details

This will be a video LP and I will be recording as I play. I aim to upload a video at least once a week.

Let's Play: Sherlock Holmes: The Case Of The Silver Earring

Are the audio levels okay? Tweaking these things is a fine art sometimes.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 27, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I missed a restart, even though I edited out two previous restarts I somehow missed the third and I'm re-uploading the replacement video. My mental health is doing some somersaults recently. I've deleted the original video and will post the new link again shortly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New link:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I need something

:hmmyes:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This sure is a cast of adventure game characters. Murder, a stranger walking around asking questions and taking things, and they're just more than willing to talk poo poo and indulge.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

starbucks hermit posted:

I need something

:hmmyes:

It would be helpful if he gave us a hint, for all we know he could be jonesing for a shot of cocaine.

Kibayasu posted:

This sure is a cast of adventure game characters. Murder, a stranger walking around asking questions and taking things, and they're just more than willing to talk poo poo and indulge.

The body is still warm and everyone is chipper while drinking casually and chatting amongst themselves.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It would be helpful if he gave us a hint, for all we know he could be jonesing for a shot of cocaine.

if it were cocaine, I think he would just say "I need it"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ok, ok, picture this.

Remember the part of the Sherlock Holmes intro, where Sherlock is describing how he came to his initial deductions of the victim's character, solely based on the behavior of the wait staff, the composition of the guests, and other details.

Now, imagine Sherlock Holmes doing the same thing, except he is stamping passports at an Arstotzkan visa checkpoint.

Seven minutes of monologue of each and every individual entering the interview booth, but taking place in a seventh of a second in real time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

starbucks hermit posted:

Ok, ok, picture this.

Remember the part of the Sherlock Holmes intro, where Sherlock is describing how he came to his initial deductions of the victim's character, solely based on the behavior of the wait staff, the composition of the guests, and other details.

Now, imagine Sherlock Holmes doing the same thing, except he is stamping passports at an Arstotzkan visa checkpoint.

Seven minutes of monologue of each and every individual entering the interview booth, but taking place in a seventh of a second in real time.

My first LP was of Papers, Please and it was a pain in the rear end trying to memorise the ever-changing rules. The thought of having to judge a person on something like whether they own a horse or not by how they stand would have put me off the game for life.

That intro video was very contrived with trying to show off Holmes' skills in his deductive abilities. I understand that the developer's want to show off that Holmes is clever and notices things that most people wouldn't, but they did it in such a showboat manner they couldn't pull it off with the limitations of the game engine. There were simpler ways that they could have done it which would have been within its limits, ways that are much more within Holmes' own style.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My first LP was of Papers, Please and it was a pain in the rear end trying to memorise the ever-changing rules. The thought of having to judge a person on something like whether they own a horse or not by how they stand would have put me off the game for life.

That intro video was very contrived with trying to show off Holmes' skills in his deductive abilities. I understand that the developer's want to show off that Holmes is clever and notices things that most people wouldn't, but they did it in such a showboat manner they couldn't pull it off with the limitations of the game engine. There were simpler ways that they could have done it which would have been within its limits, ways that are much more within Holmes' own style.

That Papers Please LP is hands down a classic series and you did an amazing job with it.

The part of the Sherlock intro that really gets me is the writing, actually. I think the intro has the best writing and everything else in the game kinda pales in comparison. Although maybe my opinion will change as the story progresses.

EDIT: I agree that it's incredibly contrived but it certainly hooked me into the setting. I hungrily await more biting class commentary from this game.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 28, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

starbucks hermit posted:

That Papers Please LP is hands down a classic series and you did an amazing job with it.

The part of the Sherlock intro that really gets me is the writing, actually. I think the intro has the best writing and everything else in the game kinda pales in comparison. Although maybe my opinion will change as the story progresses.

EDIT: I agree that it's incredibly contrived but it certainly hooked me into the setting. I hungrily await more biting class commentary from this game.

Wow, thank you. I had no idea what I was doing when I was doing it and after seven years it's my most-watched series more than anything that I've done ever since. It's just very surreal to me.

This megathread, in particular, has been a big experience as it's dealing with three games series from three different developers and taken in some very different directions. I'm still reading through the Conan Doyle stories, trying to play through the game adaptions may not have been the wisest choice as I'm trying to avoid the on-screen adaptations until I've finished reading the canon stories.

They didn't do a bad job with the intro video, I understand that they need to introduce a character that a lot of people are new too and highlight his abilities to notice things about people that other people may not notice. It's still hard to ignore some dirty laundry and people merrily drinking within the vicinity of a recently murdered body. Or casually roaming through a house currently on fire.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video concludes the first day of the investigation and we also get to control Watson for a short time, which is nice. This game also features Holmes scientific table, something which we also saw in the second Lost Files game. Even though the table is mentioned in the books, this game does feel like it has taken some notes from the Lost Files series. There is also a quiz at the end so I hope that you have been paying attention.

I did try to upload an update last night, but occasionally I have an issue with XSplit where there seem to be intermittent pauses during playback of a recording. It's happened twice within the past week and it's happened two or three times this past year. I'm not sure what the issue is as it's only happened a few times and I experience no issues during actual gameplay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As goofy as the quiz can seem I think its a decent way of collecting a player's thoughts in games like this since there's always an abundance of information. The workbench continues to kind of awkwardly straddle the line between "Holmes would know what to do" and "let the player do things" though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

As goofy as the quiz can seem I think its a decent way of collecting a player's thoughts in games like this since there's always an abundance of information. The workbench continues to kind of awkwardly straddle the line between "Holmes would know what to do" and "let the player do things" though.

The workbench is one of the few mechanics that actually hold your hand and I'm glad that it does. Otherwise, it would be an awful lot of "I need something"'s.

I'm adding the notebook entries from the previous day. There's going to be a boatload more of them in the next update.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the start of the second day of the investigation. We return to Sherringford Hall and then take a trip to Flatham to continue the investigation. I think that I need to make more adjustments to the game volumes, the music is already at 1/5th and it's still overshadowing everything. I'll turn everything down a few notches in the next recording. This page is already flooded with images, I think that from now on I will upload everything for an update to its own Imgur folder. I'll continue to post them in the thread if it's what people want, but in the interest of keeping the scrolling down to a minimum I'll see how this goes for now: https://imgur.com/a/xT0dBEq

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Besides the whole "I need something", vague hints, and and other issues with the UI, I kinda like the writing, the world building and Sherlock's voice acting. for some reason, not a real fan of Lavinia's voice acting though, but maybe it fits the part

I wonder if the aside related to polo will actually be relevant later in the investigation.

Is it possible to investigate the broken glass on the floor near the other broken glass near the gin in the kitchen?

Clown is scary as f*ck though. Expected it to shoot darts out of its eyes or open a trap door under Holmes.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

starbucks hermit posted:

Besides the whole "I need something", vague hints, and and other issues with the UI, I kinda like the writing, the world building and Sherlock's voice acting. for some reason, not a real fan of Lavinia's voice acting though, but maybe it fits the part

I wonder if the aside related to polo will actually be relevant later in the investigation.

Is it possible to investigate the broken glass on the floor near the other broken glass near the gin in the kitchen?

Clown is scary as f*ck though. Expected it to shoot darts out of its eyes or open a trap door under Holmes.

I've always had a soft spot of romanticized Victorian-era England and this fits the bill quite nicely. The random polo chatter just added to it even more.

I've gone back in to double-check, we can't interact with the broken glass. I've also discovered that Sherlock can run in this game.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've gone back in to double-check, we can't interact with the broken glass. I've also discovered that Sherlock can run in this game.

I guess you win some, you lose some.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This guy's got a bit of work to do before he can catch up to Hans Vorarlberg.

That cutscene of the gunshot at the start of the game is feeling a bit strange at this point. Its either complete misdirection or they gave away the plot immediately. Or the shooting is just the start I supposed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

That cutscene of the gunshot at the start of the game is feeling a bit strange at this point. Its either complete misdirection or they gave away the plot immediately. Or the shooting is just the start I supposed.

There's a lot more coming, the shot was just the tip of the iceberg. Do you or anyone else have any suspicions of who the killer is?

Apparently this game is impossible to complete if you didn't pick up the photo of Veronica Davenport on the first day of the game as there's no way to collect it at another time. It's a bit of a dick move considering that the game doesn't usually advance until you've collected all of the key evidence.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

There's a lot more coming, the shot was just the tip of the iceberg. Do you or anyone else have any suspicions of who the killer is?

Apparently this game is impossible to complete if you didn't pick up the photo of Veronica Davenport on the first day of the game as there's no way to collect it at another time. It's a bit of a dick move considering that the game doesn't usually advance until you've collected all of the key evidence.

This resurfaces nightmares brought on by idiotic Sierra game tropes. Soon, you're going to tell us that poison gas traps activate in the house if you stay for two hours (or a 1/10,000 chance whenever you enter any room), or Watson falls off a pier if you stray too close to the edge.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

Syberia is actually one of the most logical and enjoyable games I've played recently, besides that stupid puzzle regarding foot manufacturing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

starbucks hermit posted:

This resurfaces nightmares brought on by idiotic Sierra game tropes. Soon, you're going to tell us that poison gas traps activate in the house if you stay for two hours (or a 1/10,000 chance whenever you enter any room), or Watson falls off a pier if you stray too close to the edge.

There are several situations in which you can die in this game and that's usually down to the game mechanics than the actual danger itself.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This update concludes the second day of the investigation, it's a bit of a mix compared to the first day but that might be down to not having a dozen different characters to speak too. We continue on with Holmes' investigation and then branch into Watson's concurrent shenanigans. One of the things that I like about this game is that Watson is an integral part of the investigations and hasn't been reduced to just being a sidekick. This update also launches into the third day of the investigation as this video was already getting shorter and shorter with the increasing amount of jump-cuts.

Notebook images for this update: https://imgur.com/a/UYNoqaI

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

While Wyatt Combs is suspect number 1 right now, I do find it a little odd that Lavinia and the Lieutenant are immediately ready to be married. I wonder if they have met before.

Just a head's up, but it seemed like the cutscene at the start of day three is a little choppy.