Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

She's a loremaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Night10194 posted:

Every place has a default 'what happens if the PC doesn't get involved at all' outcome, usually based on who has the strongest hand locally. It is possible to betray the Boatmen, personally save Carrinas, then procede from there having started on the Boatmen route and switching to Guard.

strikes me as a huge mistake to switch to guard after all the free training in teron, lol

Night10194 posted:

Axe, I think. Axe is the best combat half if you're doing hybrid because axe's weapon passive is basically a mini-crit, so it can dish out enough hurt that you won't necessarily need Critical Strike. Having 2 skills you need to pump to be able to fight instead of 3 helps a lot.

no, its not that anymore. axes do bonus crit damage when you crit which means if you have 0 crit you have no passive. its still the best weapon im pretty sure though

also as far as i can tell it means that the mineb is obviously the best axe cause they dont have a 'passive chance' anymore and they didnt re-balance the items

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 24, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Snorb posted:

Then again, if that's true, I'm sure we'd have found at least one surviving piece of power armor or a long-drained energy rifle.
The helmet that makes you a military genius but also makes you zone out and talk to people who aren't there sounds like it could be some kind of AR interface.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real issue for hybrid characters is that your base physical stats matter a fuckton in combat. A character with a 10 Str is doing +40% damage, but it's actually better than that: Any damage buffs after that are multiplicative, not additive. So if you use a power attack for +15% damage, you're doing 115% of 140% of your damage, then crit multipliers or whatever stack on top of that. Plus you obviously need 10-11 AP from Dex depending on armor. And having some HP is nice. Dodge is really good late game if you wear lighter armor; my ultimate smashmaster character was running around with a two-handed axe and something like -120% to enemy to-hit and was just untouchable by that point. Block is still really reliable and if you're playing a hybrid the base +25% block chance might be more your speed, especially as you really need huge Str to get much out of two handers. You also might consider using Sword instead of Axe just because you might be able to skip crafting; you can buy some real good unique swords eventually.

There's really no easy 'dump stat' in AoD, as in all of them are useful. Charisma is probably the easiest to get by with it low, though it will make some talky checks insanely hard.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think playing a fighter without crafting is basically crippling yourself

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you're trying to do a hybrid, though, and aren't trying to win every difficult fight in the game, the unique items you can buy in Maadoran can be enough. Crafting 10 is one of the best combat skills in the game, but so is Alchemy 10, and if you're playing a Hybrid PC you in no way have the points to max both those and go hard into combat and do a bunch of civil stuff; you have to find someplace to cut out skillpoints.

E: Honestly if you're just trying to win some very limited dramatic fights, jam Alchemy up, make bombs, win forever. Bombs are like having your very own X-COM never-miss grenade ready at all times and every one you throw is only 3 AP. This is why no enemies in the normal game ever use bombs on you.

Guess what happens all the loving time in Dungeon Rats.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 25, 2020

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I really enjoy "advanced technology as understood by primitive post-apocalyptic societies" as a plot device so eagerly looking forward to more lore explorations :allears:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XV: The library of Saross

Last time, Lord Gaelius charged Octavia with finding the Temple of Thor-Agoth so he could seal it forever. Presently, we're in the Trade District, which offers an abundance of merchants with unique items that are way out of our price range, so I won't show any of that. If you have a ton of money and can't craft your own stuff, I suppose this is your place.

We're visiting Abukar, who lives in this... observatory?

Thanks for making me climb to the top floor, rear end in a top hat.

He's as friendly as Feng. I guess being prickly comes with the job.

: What is this thing?

Say, do you know Abdul Alhazred?

: What did the scrolls say?

: You've mentioned the library of Saross. Do you know where it is?

: What did you seek at the library?

: I thought magic was gone from this world.

: Our own backyard? You mean the Abyss?

And so, Abukar became a pioneer in the study of electromagnetism.

: Prophesized?

: This device, do you still have it?

Aw, I wanna detect energy fluctuations too!

: So, you wanted to explore the Abyss?

We have some things to show him.

First, let's give him the metal sphere Feng said was "just a bead from some necklace."

Abukar seems to think it's more than that. If we show him the Jellyfish artifact...

Okay?

If we show him the map:

Thanks, we already know it was a tremendous failure.

: What do you know of Thor-Agoth?

I don't think we're going to get anything coherent out of Abukar.

Let's check out Saross for ourselves. It's far to the west of Maadoran.

Beautiful, yet desolate.

Argh. I'm capturing this at an unusual resolution (1024 x 768) because if I capture at my native resolution (2560 x 1440), the screenshots look lovely and indecipherable after conversion. Unfortunately, this means the text gets cut off at the edges sometimes. Bear with it for this update.

Before we talk to the prospector, let's walk around back.

We can move this rubble here.

Interesting. Let's talk to the prospector.

Finally, someone with manners.

god loving drat it

Two can play at that game.

Eat poo poo

He has an air valve. As you do.

Time to explore and find some lost knowledge.

There came a great disturbance in the town of Lakia by the Nazvian Sea, with confusion and flight.

[...] And all the people fled from the ships of the kingdom of Qantaar, which had crossed the sea, inflicting every kind of punishment upon the people of Lakia.

[...] The Imperial army, being blessed and varying in design, fell upon the enemy. Slain were the men, their ships set aflame, the women taken into bondage.

Something about the First of the Magi: he who built his ascent up to the sky, he who founded his vaulted dome above Maadoran, he who raised the mighty pillars...

Presumably, this is about Ibn Hadad.

Upstairs...

Not much left. Maybe the basement holds more.

Yikes, it's dark. Where's a torch when you need one?

This machine in the back could help.

The prospector must've been down here.

Needs an oil injector. Didn't Abukar say he was in these ruins?

Back in Maadoran...

: I found an old machine beneath the library of Saross, but it's missing some parts.

: Is that why you've disabled the generator? So that nobody can find that "nothing" you want to keep hidden?

Definitely an oil injector. Abukar mentioned the Curio seller, but we have what we need to fix the machine.

Our alchemy skill (4) is high enough, so we get a bonus!

If only Feng could see us now.

Pretty. Let's hope we get a more material reward.

drat it

A scroll in a side room is more promising: the locations of Zamedi and Inferiae are revealed. Antidas mentioned Zamedi is the only Magi tower left intact.

War did come, and like the army who brought it, the magnitude humbled all that came before. Men and towns burned alike and even the seas stirred with the fury of war.

The sun became as night, and the moon ceased to shine. The war continued with the passing of many years and although countless thousands had died,

[...] The Qantari Servants of Power called upon the Gods of Chaos, who came forth like an eruption consuming the armies and fleets of men[...]

If I have this right, the scrolls say Qantaar attacked Lakia (a raid?), but the Imperial army stop them. A year later, Qantaar retaliates with a massive invasion force and calls upon the "Gods of Chaos" which lay waste to the land. The Magi summon otherwordly beings who fight back, then leave this realm. Both Qantaar and the Empire are devastated and the land is changed irrevocably. This lines up with what the legends say. Maybe they're true?

More locations. This is gonna be a long chapter.

I didn't capture it here, but a message pops up saying the air vent on the surface indicates a room beyond this wall. If you didn't find the air vent, having high PER lets you spot the hidden door. Turning on the lights helps.

This looks different.

What?

Next Time: Slumming it

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 28, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Night10194 posted:

E: Honestly if you're just trying to win some very limited dramatic fights, jam Alchemy up, make bombs, win forever. Bombs are like having your very own X-COM never-miss grenade ready at all times and every one you throw is only 3 AP. This is why no enemies in the normal game ever use bombs on you.

Guess what happens all the loving time in Dungeon Rats.

This requires you to find enough materials for the bombs though, which you won't generally speaking. Not saying Alchemy isn't hugely useful for a combat character but it's not really viable to rely on as a combat skill on its own. Most of its benefits are only useful to high combat skill characters (berserk potions for melee, poison, fire bombs for ranged).

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Oh poo poo, we are officially in Cthulhu Dark Ages: the mages made super men, and then gave them over to cosmic horrors under the assumption god-like beings wouldn't find a work around, which they inevitably did because OF COURSE THEY WOULD YOU STUPID-DUMB IDIOTS. Then they decided to solve their new "devil" problem by sending in even MORE cosmic horrors, except this time they remembered to ask nicely(?) and got saved, at who-knows-what of a price.

I don't know what's worse: that the Qantaar probably served these guys willingly, or if they didn't.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds great, lets do it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If summoning primordial things from beyond the Vail of reality into my body for power and glory is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This stuff is why Loremasterin' is awesome. I think the Loremaster is one of the best first playthroughs, because they give you a lot of context (though any character with high Lore can learn this stuff).

As an added bonus, discovering mysteries of the ancient world gets you SP, so the Loremaster's Lore skill kind of pays for itself. I was still able to play a reasonably good stabber on my initial Loremaster Who Gets Mixed Up With The Boatmen As a Side Gig game.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So when are we putting Hastur in us?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

:getin: my friends, :getin:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Night10194 posted:

This stuff is why Loremasterin' is awesome. I think the Loremaster is one of the best first playthroughs, because they give you a lot of context (though any character with high Lore can learn this stuff).

As an added bonus, discovering mysteries of the ancient world gets you SP, so the Loremaster's Lore skill kind of pays for itself. I was still able to play a reasonably good stabber on my initial Loremaster Who Gets Mixed Up With The Boatmen As a Side Gig game.

i think merchant or IG are the best playthrough because theres basically no hybridizing. if i was telling a friend to play id say like IG -> merchant -> thief/assassin -> loremaster

its a shame theres no real value or anything interesting to come out of drifter grifter

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Praetor requires managing a hybrid but is also a really fun playthrough.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XVI: Jehovah's Witnesses, 5th century AD edition

Let's ignore the implications of what we found and keep exploring. First up -- Zamedi.

Soundtrack: Desert (This is a favorite of mine, btw)

Whatever happened here flattened the town. I'm surprised the tower is still intact.

Not at all ominous.

Zamedi has a huge map, but you're confined to a path in front of the tower. It's mostly ruins anyway. Looks like a caravan's here?

Oh great, another zealot.

: So why did they spare it?

Enough of this. Let's get in that tower.

Um?

A wall of energy we can't pass. Y'know, I think we should leave.

The Arch is the next stop. It's far to the east, directly north of Ganezzar.

MORE of these guys.

Can I just explore without getting preached at?

: How do you know that?

Totally normal behavior.

Might as well talk to the Oracle.

:gonk:

At my local polling place, there's this ancient woman with a glass eye who counts the ballots and such. Her eyes look in different directions and I'm never sure which one to focus on. I imagine it's like that for Octavia.

: Octavia.

: Suffice to say, I have doubts.

We're hard up for info, okay?

Gonna have to try a little harder, dude.

: I could bring myself to envy that on some days. So, what do our "gods" have for me and my search?

Of course I need to pay. You get 5 imperials and nothing more.

FINE. 50 imperials.

This sounds vague. Suspiciously vague.

I paid 55 imperials for nothing, didn't I.

Son of a --

It's hard to make out, but the Arch is covered in strange writing.

Huh, I expected something to happen. We'll come back later. For now, it's back to Maadoran to finish some quests, starting with talking to Basileios.

He's in the tavern near the Arena.

: I've heard you're having problems.

We can take care of a few thugs, right?

: I'll handle it.

: We're closed. gently caress off.

These two aren't very difficult, but the one with the dagger is likely to stick you with poison, so be prepared.

Free meals? Now you're talking!

: Yes.

Money is money...

: Sure, why not?

Hey, someone who pays up front. Nice!

Let's get more info from Basil.

: What can you tell me about Quintus?

Believe me, I know.

: So, who's running this racket?

: I saw thugs collecting protection money. I'm curious where the money is going.

Famous last words.

Better check on Quintus.

Took a lot of damage during this fight, probably because my armor was in poor condition.

I manage to triumph.

Back to the tavern.

: I don't think they'll bother you or Quintus again.

: What kind of information?

We'll talk to Kemnebi much later. Off to the healer.

She gives you a quest after you've been healed a few times. Add it to the list...

How can you say no to an offer like that?

: Sign me up!

: So, whom do you expect me to fight? The villagers?

Good to see Octavia knows proper grammar.

: I'll take a look. Now, fix me up.

While we're farting around here, let's chat up some of the locals.

Well, why not?

: Fair enough.

: So in the good years you man a stall in the market and get rich, I suppose?

: Why not skip the major towns? Travel around and sell to whatever settlements are out there?

: Potatoes, onions, dust radishes, and some very healthy tomatoes. No luck with yellow gourds I'm guessing?

: Do you own your own land or does it belong to Gaelius?

: A farmer philosopher with a heart of gold. You're quite a rarity.

: How much does the Commercium charge you?

There's no gameplay reason to talk to the farmer, but it adds a bit of flavor and it's nice to meet someone who isn't a dick.

The Trade District is certainly... colorful.

There's a shop we can enter here.

As soon as we step inside we're assaulted with a sales pitch. I have a bad feeling about this.

: And if he ends up dead?

Strong arm someone into giving up a jewel? Done.

Back to the arena.

One on three this time. Play it smart, keep them separated, and they go down easy.

Nicander is the first real challenge. His tactics consist of getting in close, jabbing you with his trident, then backing off. While that doesn't sound hard, spear users have the annoying ability to interrupt your attack whenever you try to get close or flank them, meaning they'll whittle down your HP while you attempt to deal damage.

Ranged combat is the way to go, or lacking that, bombs.

I ran out of bombs and had to resort to liquid fire. Whatever gets the job done.

Bendidoros is tough. He hits hard and blocks often.

I got lucky and beat him on my first try.

Sarpedon is another spear user? Fuuuuuuck that.

While wandering through the Arena District, we come upon this angry mob. Being the rubberneckers we are, we're investigating.

: What preachers?

More of Meru's preachers stirring up trouble. Will it never end?

: What do they preach?

Hell, we've handled worse.

: Sure.

We could play peacemaker, but where's the fun in that?

: Alright, the show's over, so get the gently caress out of here.

Oops.

Well, they're unarmored peasants armed with shovels and sticks, but there are seven of them, so this might get messy...

Never mind, these losers can't get past my armor. This is the easiest fight in the game!

At least we get a reputation boost out of this.

Near the entrance to the Slums is a beggar claiming to be a veteran.

Eh, why not? Support veterans!

: Are you really a veteran?

: I'd like to hear it.

Another story of Meru doing a 180, personality-wise. What the heck happened to him?

Antidas bit off more than he could chew, and now he's lord of jack poo poo. Fortune is a fickle mistress and all that.

Next to the beggar is this out-of-place youth.

: What's in the package?

That... sounds like ingredients for a bomb.

: Why does Neros need these things?

: Can't this Neros buy these things in the Slums?

Burn

: Alright, I'll do it.

The adventures of Octavia: loremaster, gladiator, courier.

Let's do the opposite of what the guide recommended and enter the Slums. I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

I get good vibes from this guy.

: Alright. Here is the money.

Uh oh.

I'm sure this isn't a red flag.

D'oh! Fooled by my naivete again!

Don't gently caress with me, slum rats.

Next Time: Slumming it. For real.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 16, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Awww...that was the perfect time for a body count check.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

theres one fight in the slums that i hope you do that always causes me extreme pain

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
This game clashes against RPG instincts so hard: you usually need to do stupid poo poo to find quests, like giving tens of thousands in gold to shady merchants to get the +1o Sword of Ultimate Ultima, but here, they just loving rob you and you get jack. Even talking to people ends up with you getting poisoned or ambushed by thugs.

Ordinarily, becoming Super Human or siding with Cosmic Horrors would be the bad ending, but this society is so screwed up that enslaving everyone else might actually be an improvement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Theres a literal force field there.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XVII: Return of the worst NPC

It's time to explore the Slums. As you'd expect, it's full of ruined buildings, homeless beggars and armed thugs. There are also some ball-crushingly hard fights, so step lightly.

Right, we'll talk to the filthy man. Not much else to do.

: Easy money is my specialty, friend.

Eh, why not.

: Believe it or not, I don't have anything better to do at the moment.

:barf:

We head left.

No regrets. Off to the other passage.

Yes, you can drown. Thankfully, our stats are high enough.

This time, we go right.

Yoink.

We survived!

whoops, low poly boobs

That's better. Blue Steel is the second-highest crafting material you can get.

Let's examine the strange doorway.

Well, I have no idea what it's for.

The cut off bit says "power of the sun." Some kind of power source?

We don't have any power tubes, so this thing will remain a mystery for now.

Sky Metal is the highest tier of metals for crafting and requires a whopping 10 levels to use.

Let's look at the strongbox.

Unfortunately, the power tubes we picked up won't work with the strange device. What was that about a respirator?

This is, in fact, the same kind of relic the prospector back at the beginning of the game tried to sell to us. This is why we didn't buy it.

Nothing else here, so it's time to go back.

Heck, he can have the money. We have a much cooler partially digested ruby.

The Abyss is on the other side of the wreckage, but you'll notice the gang blocking our way. We'll try the other direction.

oh NO

Sigh.

He does owe us, so I guess we'll save his rear end. Again.

: He owes me money. It will be harder to collect if he's dead.

: If Levir wanted to get paid first, he should have sent more men.

Time to chuck some bombs.

Got lucky with my critical strikes.

I swear to loving god, Miltiades...

I'm going to regret this.

: Yes. Let's go.

: And what do you get out of it?

gently caress it.

It turns out a bunch of soft nobles are easy to kill.

2104 imperials? Maybe you're alright, Miltiades.

: You lied to me.

On that ominous note, it's back to the arena to face Sarpedon.

I don't like Sarpedon. He's a spear user, for one. He'll try to cripple you and bypass your armor with torso strikes, so be prepared for that. He'll also start the fight by throwing a pilum at you, which, remember, can bypass armor as well. Add in the fact he's got a tower shield and Sarpedon is an all-around dick.

He goes down after three tries.

Death Count: 27

Later. I need to lick my wounds.

It's time to snoop around Darius's tomb and find his special helmet.

They seem friendly enough.

: Would you mind if I take a look?

Doesn't look like there's anything left.

poo poo. I don't like the idea of telling Gaelius the helmet is under a ton of rock.

FINE I won't touch your stuff

On the way back to the entrance...

There's a variety of options, but the simplest one is to ask the raiders for help.

What a gentleman!

Jackpot.

Let's grab this thing and get out.

: The gold is in these two chests.

Let's end this.

Slightly disconcerting. We're not returning to Maadoran just yet.

We also pick up Darius's armor, arguably one of the best sets.

I'll admit, I expected something fancier.

We loot their stash before heading out. I upgraded the lore skill, so I made a trip back to Saross to see if those weird tablets could be translated.

Dire warnings. Goody.

Next Time: A startling discovery

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ah, only 2/3 people backstabbing us, odds are looking up!

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Quite enjoying this LP so far. I am digging the ancient magic is just future tech storyline.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You didn't get stabbed in the back, knocked over the head or simply pushed into the well when you looked? And they didn't drop rocks on you or simply ran off with your equipment? That's so out of character for this game.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
stop slandering Miltiades

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

chiefnewo posted:

Quite enjoying this LP so far. I am digging the ancient magic is just future tech storyline.

Yeah, me too. Feels like this is probably the best way to experience the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you can manage the Impersonate/Streetwise check you convince them you're a terrifying dark wizard and they run off in horror, grateful you let them live and calling you mistress.

It's pretty sweet.

E: Also, the terrible sinking feeling you get the moment you realize you made Militiades nobility is beautiful.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 28, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Miltiades is cool and good.

Let's be honest, everyone in this game has it coming.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Militiades is a man who repeatedly fucks you over in certain ways, except you make enormous amounts of money from it so you forgive him, because this is in contrast to all the people who gently caress you over without you seeing a dime.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was convinced you were going to come out of the well and find the guy had run off with all the stuff you took off to keep from drowning. I guess they wanted to defy expectations a bit and keep you guessing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Militiades is just a conman smart enough to realise that murderous psychos don't care so much who they have to kill SO LONG AS THEY GET PAID.
So burning bridges is only a problem if you don't collect a large sum of money to bribe the psycho away.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Anime Reference posted:

I was convinced you were going to come out of the well and find the guy had run off with all the stuff you took off to keep from drowning. I guess they wanted to defy expectations a bit and keep you guessing.

It even gives you an opportunity to screw the guy over yourself. It's a real inversion of expectations.

I particularly enjoy how all of the pure legionnaire endings have you demoted and fighting to stay alive. No matter who you gave the empire or world to, just the particular enemies are different.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Getting scammed and being tricked into murdering people is actually really common in rpgs.

I wonder what he said to get the title though.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
"Don't put on that helmet, it's probably dangerous. Like, drive you crazy insane dangerous, so don't touch it."
---
"Ok found the helm, now to- wait, it provides HOW much critical resistance?"

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
The farmer we talked to was a decent guy who really shouldn't have it coming. I really like how you can help him out free of charge by giving him soil pH balance advice.

My guess is that Militiades told him there was the easy way or the painful way to die, or threatened someone else the old guy loved.

We're definitely the murderous psycho who wants to get paid, but boy this game is good at making you feel super dirty. Is it possible to get through the game without stealing and/or being a horrible person? Or is that the hardest difficulty run?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can still be something approaching a hero (sort of), depending on how you take some of the stuff that happens. I certainly felt like my first PC overall made a better impact on the world than I'd have expected.

Then I played as the Merch and I was just a total garbage person forever.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XVIII: The Abyss

We should give Gaelius the helmet.

: Why does it take so long?

Gaelius is expecting us, so we don't need a badge.

Ah, another poor soul with problems. Looks like a potential quest.

At least look at me when we're having a conversation!

What did he expect?

: You should have seen it coming. You hire fighting men you have no leverage over and hope that they will be kind enough to let you keep the spoils. You're lucky they didn't kill you.

My heart bleeds.

: You and your men have recklessly destroyed priceless documents left for future generations and then squabbled over the armor of a man left to guard them. You deserve what you got.

Against better judgment, we're going to press on.

: What do you want me to do?

: I'm busy. I have places to go and people to see. If you want me to drop everything and help you, make it worth my time.

I hope he doesn't pay us in literal trinkets, or else I'm going to go apeshit.

The game is calling out my questionable decisions.

We could kill Marcus and his guards easily enough. Our reward would be a power tube.

Ooooooor, we could make a deal and get the best piece of armor in the game.

: I don't care about Amerius, but I'm interested in that armor.

: What do you propose?

: Sure, we have a deal.

We'll keep our deal a secret.

: I'm working on it.

Sorry it took so long; I have this compulsion to talk to random people so I can solve their problems.

: About the helmet...

: I give you the Helmet of destiny, my lord.

Aw, shucks. 'Tweren't nuthin'.

And now we're a praetor. Octavia is moving on up!

Well, it's a bold plan.

: You'll open your gates to the Ordu?

: You think you can control them?

We're a praetor and now a noble wants a moment of our time. How the tables have turned.

: Certainly.

Maybe we'll live in an estate like this someday...

: And what about Gaelius?

: Why would I betray Gaelius' trust?

Senna may have a point. On the other hand, I get the feeling there's more to this than simply balking at barbarians living in the city.

: We?

So, there's multiple nobles involved. Interesting.

: What stops you from giving Pavola my name?

That's reassuring, I suppose.

I put on my new awesome purple cape and go back to the Slums.

Time to deal with the punks blocking the way to the Abyss.

: How much?

Fuuuuuck that.

: Out of my way, scum!

Mehrab and his Blades aren't tough. Most of their attacks can't pierce my armor.

Here's Whirlwind, which is great if you're surrounded.

Okay, I almost died, but only due to a few lucky criticals. A quick trip to the healer and I'm set.

No sense in delaying this anymore.

Maybe the locals will tell us more about this place.

Never mind, he just wants to sell us junk.

You've got to be loving kidding. A rock on a string?

: So, you've personally ventured into the Abyss?

Strangely, I believe him.

Hang on, that Enarion?

: What do these charms do?

I dunno, what if it slowly liquefies my organs?

: I'll think about it.

Jesus, I can't see the bottom.

It's hard to see, but there are occasional flashes of lightning deep inside the crater.

Here goes nothing...

This might have been a mistake.

Let's put this poor guy out of his misery.

Um...

Our ultimate goal is finding the location of the Temple of Thor-Agoth, so...

: Knowledge.

We can power through this.

oh gently caress use respirator now

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

phew

We came this far...

What the hell?

:psyduck:

Okay, let's examine what we can and get the gently caress out.

Let's never speak of this again.

Next Time: Ordu ordeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Tell me Octavia can inject that broken alien soul into her own.