Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I thought you could get more than 2 wizards in that encounter, or am I remembering wrong?

In the gba remakes you can get up to 9 demons and while in most respects the remakes are easier that encounter def party wiped me at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

achtungnight posted:

I was given my information by the Final Fantasy Wiki, which said Gygax couldn’t claim copyright for Mind Flayers because Lovecraft and Brian Lumley crested the monsters. There were at least two other monsters the game took from D&D whose appearance had to be changed significantly to avoid copyright issues. We have not seen either one yet, so I’ll say no more about them right now. If my information is incorrect, I apologize.

The design is literally just chuthulu so im assuming there was probably some legal trouble at some point that I am uninformed about

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I was given my information by the Final Fantasy Wiki, which said Gygax couldn’t claim copyright for Mind Flayers because Lovecraft and Brian Lumley crested the monsters. There were at least two other monsters the game took from D&D whose appearance had to be changed significantly to avoid copyright issues. We have not seen either one yet, so I’ll say no more about them right now. If my information is incorrect, I apologize.

The Chthonians in the Lumley novel, apart from having tentacles, have pretty much zero resemblance to the D&D mind flayer (they're gigantic, burrowing squid-worms). I checked the section on the FF wiki, and it's an unsourced assumption which is also incorrect, since the Mind Flayer IS actually copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.

(Thank you for tuning in to this week's episode of Intellectual property minutiae regarding weird squidmen of the 1970's)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Before seeing them in later games or higher res remakes I always parsed them not as squid headded servants of the Old Ones, but a woman with a very low cut robe/dress.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

achtungnight posted:

Final Fantasy is basically an unlicensed AD&D game and I've never been entirely clear on why there was no lawsuit.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Final Fantasy is basically an unlicensed AD&D game and I've never been entirely clear on why there was no lawsuit.

What do you mean? You very clearly fight a boss named "KARY", there's no resemblance at all. Please put away your copy of the monster manual.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Japanese law is not American law, gygax would get laughed out of court for daring to waste the judges time

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nintendo of America wouldn't have been sued under Japanese law.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Japanese law is not American law, gygax would get laughed out of court for daring to waste the judges time
It wasn't Gygax who was the problem, it was T$R. They were coming down on D&D fansites and fanzines until they ran themselves and their good will into the ground and were bought out by WotC. "Successful video game uses our IP" is exactly the kind of case they'd pursue against NoA.

ultrafilter posted:

There's one monster that somebody realized was probably the line crossed between "homage" and "plagarism". It won't be coming up for a while yet, but when you see the original Japanese version once I run into it, you'll understand.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm super here for it! Final Fantasy is a great game and I just love looking at weird janky bugs in old games and why they work the way they do.

Keep it up, PMush!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

PMush Perfect posted:

Similar to a death, if someone ends a battle Poisoned, the party order can end up shuffled, or even reversed. So whiile the 2-per-round and 1-per-step damage is no longer as threatening as it once was, the chance of accidentally charging into battle with Dirk at the front very much is.

What's the deal with this? Is it a bug, a weird feature?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

You don't want the weaker poisoned guys up front, duh :pseudo:

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010
On the Subject of Final Fantasy 1 and AD&D, basically look at each sprite, then rotate it anywhere from 90 to 180 degrees if need be. For example, flip the Creep Sprite upside down and you have a worm or a millipede. I'm not gonna spoil the others but the OP has said we'll see them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Talen_Soti posted:

On the Subject of Final Fantasy 1 and AD&D, basically look at each sprite, then rotate it anywhere from 90 to 180 degrees if need be. For example, flip the Creep Sprite upside down and you have a worm or a millipede. I'm not gonna spoil the others but the OP has said we'll see them.
I knew about the recolors, but never actually noticed the rotations, that’s neat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This thread is so good and I cannot wait for the next update.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Truthkeeper posted:

It very much seems an intended action - put weakened or incapacitated party members behind the healthy ones - but in practice it's dumb as heck because a Boris Vallejo-esque barbarian bouncing swords off his pectoral muscles will still take a hit better than that guy from chess club, even if he's got the sniffles.

E: I mean, reversing the whole party order seems like a bug, but I hadn't even noticed that happened. :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level 06: Key Items and KEY Items

With ASTOS dead, and the KEY in hand, we've got some necessary backtracking before we can move on. And some not-strictly-necessary backtracking, too.

I finally run into some ARACHNIDs on my way back to the Marsh Cave. Not a lot of HP for where we're at in the game, but when we first got to ElfLand, they'd have been pretty tough. They're also posionous, which is just as annoying as ever.

Aside from that, the trip down to the third floor is uneventful. I'm quick with HARM, FIRE, and ICE, clearing out a lot of potentially problematic fights quickly. Even stocked up on Potions, I don't want to get worn down by attrition again.

The bottom row of rooms on the map are locked by a key, and guarded by guaranteed-encounter spaces. Both now and in the future, many of them are avoidable, but I'll be hitting them whenever they're interesting. Similar to the CROWN's chest, this one is blocked by an encounter with a few WIZARDs. They still don't have magic, and still crumple to LIT2 and some thwacks.

Our prize is a Silver Bracelet, the upgrade to the all-classed Copper Bracelet, providing a very nice 15 Absorb with no questions asked. This one goes to Dirk, as his lower HP makes me more worried about him getting one-shotted before I can heal him than Buff does.

A nice bonus of having an unarmored Black Belt is that it frees up four inventory slots for carrying armor, even when everyone else is loaded for bear. This won't always be the case, and may change for a while as early as the next update. But, for now, it's quite helpful.

Second from the left, the chest is guarded by a new enemy type, the COBRA. Similar to WIZARDs, the name is actually a misnomer. COBRAs aren't poisonous. What they have instead is an attack that deals solid damage, and a crit rate higher than anyone but Punt. They're not much beefier than anything else here, but they can deal a lot of damage if I get unlucky. Hack kills one immediately and Dirk takes care of the others with an ICE2.

A Silver Knife is the reward here, one of three we'll be getting from these chests. It finally, finally gives Dirk a weapon stronger than a Rapier. It's also got +15 Base Hit, so with it, Dirk will actually start having a chance to double attack pretty soon here. It's still paltry damage, but at least he'll have a chance to kill a WOLF or GrIMP by himself.

The last chest has another WIZARD fight (cleaned out by LIT2 again), and has 1000 Gold. Normally, I'd be disappointed, but we're going to need every cent.

It's funny how much trouble I had with this journey a while ago. Now, I'm firing off spells just to make getting to the next area faster. Next area, in this case, being the armory of ASTOS's castle, where the chests are guarded by "forced" (avoidable if you know where to walk) encounters with two new enemy types.

IMAGEs are Paralyzing undead with high Evade and decent damage. They're also undead with less than 100 HP and low M.Def. Buff clears them out with a HRM2 before they even get a turn.

Our reward for this one is a Falchon (sic), which has the same Damage and Base Hit as a Short Sword. The higher crit rate would make it a decent upgrade for Hack if we weren't a stone's throw from a real upgrade for him. Instead, it's a Thief weapon. Read: Vendor trash.

MUMMYs guard the other two chests, and are kind of the opposite of IMAGEs. Instead of having high Evade, they have high Absorb, and inflict Sleep instead of Paralysis, and they've got the oomph to do a decent chunk of damage, too. Unfortunately, guess who else is an Undead with less than 100 HP and mediocre M.Def?

:getin:

Trivia Corner: MUMMYs also have ridiculous Morale, not just for this point of the game, but in general. Of every enemy that's intended to run away from a party of a certain level, MUMMYs have the second-highest, and won't consider running away until the party is level 46. Their upgrade, the WzMUMMY, will consider it with a party as low as 35.

The back two chests contain the Power Staff and some Iron Gauntlets. Hack's Copper Gauntlets are immediately replaced for an additional 2 Absorb, and the Power staff has higher Damage than the Silver Knife, but lower Base Hit, and there's a much better use for it.

It sells for over 6000 Gold, enough to completely max out my stock of HEAL Potions. I also pick up the Level 4 spells we're missing, dropping 16K that we mostly got from selling poo poo and miniboss fights. (CONF for Dirk, and PURE, FEAR, and AICE for Buff.)

Next, we're heading back to Coneria, where we first heard about the KEY.

Trivia Corner: There's an invisible NPC in the west side of Coneria. It's not just a spot that erroneously has a description, as you also can't walk through the square. There's just someone here, with what I think is unique dialogue. FF1 NES, everybody.

In here, we find the next Plot Coupon, the TNT. The rest of the chests just have vendor trash, weapons and armor we've already gotten before.

One more detour before it's progress time, though. Specifically, all the way back to the Temple of Fiends, in those corner rooms I got killed checking out back before Punt could erase things by looking at them and deciding to crit.

These chests are guarded by more enemies I actually saw in our most recent visit to the Marsh Cave, but didn't mention for pacing reasons we're seeing for the first time, GARGOYLEs. Like many of the rare spawn enemies, they're actually extremely dangerous when you can first see them. They make four attacks, and each does between 12 and 24 damage. If I'd run into a group of them before we got Copper Bracelets and they decided to pick on one of our mages, things could have gotten very ugly very quickly. Like the CRAWLs in the Marsh Cave, they're very good early targets for SLOW, though by this point, it's usually faster and more effective to just kill them.

There are two encounter squares that require walking through a total of three times to get everything, a HOUSE and two swords. The Rune Sword and the Were Sword. These are two of several weapons that are intended to deal more damage to specific types of enemies, as they are otherwise identical (except for Crit Rate). Were they actually working, one would be overwhelmingly more useful than the other. The Were Sword would be super effective against two enemies: The WrWOLF, and the late-game CATMAN. The Rune Sword, however, is supposed to be extra effective against Spellcasters, which is almost any enemy that casts magic, including several bosses.

Without those bonuses, the Rune Sword still comes out slightly ahead, for having a higher crit rate.

Also it looks sick as hell.

Everyone except Punt levels while we're dinking around, and I cooould do a bit more grinding to get him up, too, but I'm bored, and this discrepancy actually puts me in a great position to talk about a neat glitch later. Let's get on with it.

Oh, hey, we're in the Dwarf Cave! We give the TNT to this dwarf, and now have access to a whole crapton of chests. (Eight, three are offscreen.) Inside are some items and armor we don't need, plus a suit of Silver Armor, which would be a 3 Absorb upgrade for a Red Mage if we had one. Not that it'd help much. (Go read the Red Mages mechanics update for more info.) We also find an Iron Helmet, 2 more Absorb for Hack, and the Dragon Sword. It's supposed to deal extra damage against not just Dragons, but also lizards, drakes, and really anything dragon-like. It also has a slightly higher Damage than the Rune Sword. Buuuut it's got a lower crit rate and it doesn't look awesome. Vendor trash!

Sailing through the now open canal, we can finally escape the Conerian sea. By sailing almost straight west, we reach a new port. Aren't you curious what kind of amazing sights there are now that the whole world is-

Oh.

This is Melmond, a land of contrasts. Because it got blown to poo poo and/or cursed, there's no item shop or church clinic. This means that if anything actually bad happens, and someone gets axed, I'll be running all the way back to Coneria to bring people back to life and buy more potions.

Also present: Unclear but technically useful advice! We don't know who or where Sarda is, but if we run into troubles with the evils of the cave (Which one? There's at least three already), we know who to look for.

On the other hand, Melmond is also chock full of good shops. The weapons are mostly outclassed by this point, more evidence that the Long Sword was supposed to be in ElfLand. It's got 20 base Damage, compared to the Rune Sword's 18, but it's got a lower Base Hit, and a much lower Crit Rate. So, not really useful unless you really, really don't feel like opening unnecessary chests, but have a lot of money. We can get more Silver Bracelets, as well as Iron Helmets and Gauntlets, for if we had more than one Fighter (or, again, didn't want to backtrack.)

As you might expect, Buff gets a Bracelet, and we don't buy anything else equipment-wise right now (but we do sell a lot of stuff.)

The top ticket item is the Steel Armor, which grants a whopping 34 Absorb. That's almost as much as all of Hack's gear put together. It tanks Base Evade, which isn't a big deal, but it's horrendously expensive, which is. By the time we'll be able to spare that much cash, I'll be in a position to just find some better armor in a dungeon.

Especially considering that one suit costs almost as much as six Level 5 spells, and there are some drat good spells to be bought in Melmond.

FIR3 is the only elemental damage spell of this tier, dealing about half-again as much damage as FIR2. You know what to expect here, not much to say.

BANE is our first instant kill spell. Decently accurate, it's a good target on large enemies with lots of HP (making attack magic less effective) but low to mediocre magic defense. It's Poison element, which is more commonly resisted than Death, but it's certainly not bad.

SLO2 is much like SLP2, trading in being single-target for increased accuracy. Slowed is a good status ailment to apply, but SLOW isn't resisted by anything, and the difference in accuracy (which might not even actually exist?) doesn't make up for using a slot with some much, much better spells. It's the skippable one this level.

WARP is the first spell that can't be learned until the class change, which won't be for a while yet. It moves the party up one floor, which can be useful, and I'll still be leaving a slot open for it, but it will mostly serve as back-up, as it's effectively a lesser version of a Level 6 White Magic spell.

AND SPEAKING OF WHITE MAGIC! Odd levels tend to be really good for White Mages, and this is no exception.

CUR3 restores around 100 HP, which is very nice. However, HEL2 has a very useful glitch. Out of combat, HEL2 restores about 40 HP to all characters. In combat, it erroneously has the effect of HEL3, instead restoring around 70 HP. While HEAL was the one we skipped last time, CUR3 will be the one we're skipping this time.

HRM3 is another upgrade that's about what you'd expect: 120-240 damage to all undead enemies. Its main flaw is sharing a spell level with two truly excellent spells. HEL2 is one, and the other, the completely indispensible...

LIFE. For a single measly Level 5 spell slot, LIFE lets Buff bring back a dead character. It only works outside of battle, can't be used in combat, and can't be used on Buff herself if she bites it, but a single death no longer instantly means scurrying back to town hoping we don't fight anything worthwhile.

I only have enough Gold left for one spell, so we pick up LIFE.

We're broke and probably underleveled, we should go grind. I don't want to have to sail all the way back to Pravoka, though. But if we aren't going to grind there, then where can we go?

Next Level: In the Hall of the Mountain King

Party Status

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 21, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If your sword isn't purple don't even talk to me

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I want to let you know that I just read it as Temple of Friends and :shobon:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Trivia Corner: There's an invisible NPC in the west side of Coneria. It's not just a spot that erroneously has a description, as you also can't walk through the square. There's just someone here, with what I think is unique dialogue. FF1 NES, everybody.

Bonus Trivia! Way back in 2001, when an internet ROMhacker by the name of Disch turned his attentions to hacking Final Fantasy I for the NES, he eventually created the ultimate tool for hacking the game. Through that tool, two things were discovered about this invisible NPC:

1) That it's a woman
2) That NPCs have a Inside/Outside Flag. Setting it to Inside makes them invisible until you enter the room they're in. Her flag was mistakenly set to Inside. Ooops!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Invisible Man is actually a bug, its flagged as being in a room, so is hidden when wandering around, if one were to glitch or game genie walk through walls and be in one of the mystic KEY rooms and walk there, she'd be visible.

Oh yeah it isn't an Invisible Man but Woman.

e: beaten.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

David Corbett posted:

The Four Friends of Elements :3:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Four Friends of Elements :3:

This makes me want a slightly more child-friendly Final Fantasy spinoff involving Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, and Titan going on an adventure that results in them becoming the reoccurring powerful summons they end up in most FF games.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Junpei posted:

This makes me want a slightly more child-friendly Final Fantasy spinoff involving Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, and Titan going on an adventure that results in them becoming the reoccurring powerful summons they end up in most FF games.

We are somewhat overdue for an actually new Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon game...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

We are somewhat overdue for an actually new Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon game...

They extended the deadline by giving us Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy! instead.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Another vague memory that could use confirmation: that the best grind spot at this point was actually the forced MUMMY encounter in Astos's Castle- not the highest payout per fight, but they die (again) a lot faster than the alternatives.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sum Gai posted:

Another vague memory that could use confirmation: that the best grind spot at this point was actually the forced MUMMY encounter in Astos's Castle- not the highest payout per fight, but they die (again) a lot faster than the alternatives.
It’s definitely not a bad place. I don’t like it because of how far it is from an Inn, but if I also had a Red Mage (and, thus, double the HARMs and FIR2s)? Yeah, I’d use it.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Well, double the FIR2s, at any rate. Red mages can't use HARM. You said so yourself!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

David Corbett posted:

I did too! I had to go back to update 1 to double check.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Well, double the FIR2s, at any rate. Red mages can't use HARM. You said so yourself!
:doh:

This is why I shouldn’t post when I’ve been awake this long

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I love this portion of the game. Damnit, now I want to play FFI again...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah wait I just realized I missed an obvious joke

no pmush perfect. It does *nothing*

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Hell yea, that RUNE is a nice shade of purple (My mother's also big on purple as a color) so we may as weld that to HACK's arm and let him be a discount mutant or something.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You not getting the Silver Sword for the fighter annoys me but it is also nice you're showing off gear that would be been immediately sold off.

I always hung on to the Power staff just because of it's ridiculous sell value. There had to be some special property if it was worth that much! Now I learned it's just expensive vendor trash :suicide:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I really have to fight myself to not read "Coneria" as "Corneria" and now I'm wondering if they're both mistranslations of the same name. Or maybe that's just how they spell it on the Lylat system.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I really have to fight myself to not read "Coneria" as "Corneria" and now I'm wondering if they're both mistranslations of the same name. Or maybe that's just how they spell it on the Lylat system.

...it's not Corneria?

Yes, I double checked, but somehow I never noticed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, same.

Also playing FFVII remake and I realize that somehow I always mistakenly thought the little Wallmarket poo poo was Cornero.

So obviously there is something about Final Fantasy games that make names starting with "Co" to tack on random "r" in them somewhere.
e: poo poo now I have an idea. I hate getting ideas.

e2: ideas

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 1, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:five:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm playing FFXIV and I just got to Matoya's cave. It plays this great remix of the song from FF1: https://youtu.be/orvKqkgWZOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

:perfect: