Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

sebmojo posted:

What's my scientist up to and, (supplementary qn) why aren't they dead yet

You are currently researching Nuclear Pulse Engine technology, which is the next tier of engine tech.

Also I've turned story mode on for everyone's named officers until things start popping off. No sense having you all die in training accidents before the wars start. I'll take it off if there are serious objections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Virtual Russian posted:

You are now! It was no one before.

Sweet! I’m excited to get sent out to (what’s currently) the far reaches of space and go crazy.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh poo poo another Aurora thread, dorf me as a naval officer if there's an opening

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think I'm almost done working my way through a huge stretch of not much happening. The next update will have some large bits where nothing happens, so nothing gets reported on. That seems to be ending now though. I'll post it once I hit an event that needs input.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh poo poo another Aurora thread, dorf me as a naval officer if there's an opening

Just got you in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Also I've turned story mode on for everyone's named officers until things start popping off. No sense having you all die in training accidents before the wars start. I'll take it off if there are serious objections.

Is this option toggled on an officer-by-officer basis, or more broadly? If individually I'd like to request that it be turned off for me, I intend to die as frequently as possible.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

yes, dying in a horrible and unexpected training accident was quite cool and good. now there's a ship named after me :kimchi:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

Is this option toggled on an officer-by-officer basis, or more broadly? If individually I'd like to request that it be turned off for me, I intend to die as frequently as possible.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm just going to turn death by accidents back on for everyone. The thread has spoken. It is on a person by person basis though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It would be an honor to die in a random accident on an alien planet

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I request that I die specifically to inevitable alien threats. If I don't get me and my equally minded crew blasted to space dust we will haunt the rest of the fleet with our ghostly wails, possessions, and swearing.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

DelilahFlowers posted:

I request that I die specifically to inevitable alien threats. If I don't get me and my equally minded crew blasted to space dust we will haunt the rest of the fleet with our ghostly wails, possessions, and swearing.

Don't lie, you're not going to stop swearing even if you live.

Also, I'd like to volunteer for something that carries no meaningful responsibility, as I never studied this game hard enough to grasp any of the details. I just think it's fun to watch GMs weave a story out of it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Can I be an survey ship captain?
I already spend lots of time running around outside, exploring alien worlds is one of those happy daydreams.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Don't lie, you're not going to stop swearing even if you live.

Also, I'd like to volunteer for something that carries no meaningful responsibility, as I never studied this game hard enough to grasp any of the details. I just think it's fun to watch GMs weave a story out of it.

You are in as a Battalion commander on Freeshire (formally Adrastapol-B III), I took a lot of licence with that name.

El Spamo posted:

Can I be an survey ship captain?
I already spend lots of time running around outside, exploring alien worlds is one of those happy daydreams.

You are in as the CO of the DSS Teoberto Maler. I was shocked to find that we still had an unnamed survey vessel commander without any awards.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
LOL @ all the 'mostly interested in how my char dies rather than anything they actually DO' posts.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Gnoman posted:

I'd also point out that Steve has authorized AuroraMod, so you can change the game color scheme if you want to. There's a link on the Aurora forum.

I only caught some of the drama around that. Did he finally realize that the proper technical solution to his objection (I don't wanna get bug reports for mod-caused bugs) is to make checksum of loaded binaries and then check that against official version when reading bugs? It also fixes the problem for weird heisenbugs caused by plain old faulty drives, RAM, etc. :v:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

January 1st, 2105

The galaxy map in January 2105

April 4th, 2105

While we long suspected this, we finally have confirmation that the wormholes that lead out of Sol are not unique. Without a doubt we can now say the galaxy is connected together by a network of wormholes.

June 5th, 2105

June sees both the Kobold FACs and Completely Ethical Colony ships completed. I’ve still got one more kobold to build, but I’m going to push it to two, as our economy is still going strong. I will also begin a production run of Sufficient Class Colony Ships, which can be made without retooling. Here we see the real advantage of designing similar ships with slightly different roles. So much time is saved not having to retool.

Most importantly though, we can now begin to truly colonize in earnest. With these new ships we will drastically outpace the civilian effort.

August 4th, 2105

Our Surveyors are called back to Terra for some much earned shore leave. They have completed just over five years in space. After their leave they will be tasked with exploring deeper into space around us.

November 2nd, 2105

The last of the Kobolds have been completed, all we are waiting on now is the scout frigate to lead them.

As our military shipyards do not have any designs to retool and make, I’ll use this lull to add slipways and tonnage to our capacities.

We also have built our fuel reserves up to 18million litres, so I’m going to extensively drill our battle fleet. We can afford to burn a little fuel.

March 17th, 2106

At last, the final ship from the Naval Production Program of 2103 is completed. We are still producing some hybrid colony/freighter ships, but those were in addition to the original program.

The Commander Kobold has been named after the heroic commander who died preforming damage control during a training accident. It will immediately be put into fleet exercises.

If you haven’t checked I’m slowly uploading the ship images on the first page below the OP. Some are still very much WIP, especially the FAC. What I can make quickly has a real FTL vibe to it, which I am not sure how I feel about. I feel like there is a disconnect between how the game feels/general atmosphere and what the pixel ships look like.

July 10th, 2106

Very little is happening right now, mostly we are surveying gravitational anomalies looking for jump points. Thus far we have found one in Adrastapol and one in Adrantis. This is definitely lower than average.

We have seen the creation of another civilian shipping company, though it has yet to launch any ships.

September 15th, 2106

Three Sufficients are completed, these ships are immediately put to service running between Europa and Terra. While these can’t deliver as many people as the Completely Ethical class, not needing to micromanage infrastructure is a huge relief. Due to this, and in anticipation of needing to colonize several cost 2 worlds, I have ordered 3 more ships.

With a total lack of geological bodies to survey I’m sending the fresh from shore leave GEC Paul Gotz, commanded by Commander ChaseSP, through the unexplored jump point in Adrantis. Best of luck!

December 25th, 2106

While the GEC Paul Gotz is on route to its jump point, another jump point is discovered in Adrantis, this is looking like it could be a strategic hub. We could easily get one big listening post in the system to monitor the currently known jump points.

We also discovered another jump point in the Poitot system.

January 4th, 2107

We have discovered a new system, which was promptly named Nearpoint. This single star system contains 12 planets, which have a total of 49 moons. There are no asteroids, but the system does have 4 comets. There are a both a single planet and moon that are easily colonized with a cost of 2. We’ll have to wait until we have geological surveys done to really understand the value of this system.

Commander ChaseSP has received the New Horizon Badge for this discovery.

March 2nd, 2107

Travelling though the sole unknown jump point in the Poitot system, the DSS Douglas Mawson has discovered a new system, which was promptly named Tarantis. This single star system contains 9 planets, which have a total of 44 moons. There are 21 asteroids. There is a single planet that is easily colonized with a cost of 2. Once more, we’ll have to wait until we have geological surveys done to really understand the value of this system. Of note is that this system contains two Venusian planets, which almost always have immense caches of minerals.

Our small little galaxy is starting to grow.

April 1st, 2107

We are now able to squeeze far more power out of our engines, at the cost of fuel efficiency of course. Next in queue is researching larger engine sizes, which obviously output more power, but also operate with better efficiency.

June 4th, 2107

Having completed their mission to scan Adrantis, the crew of the DSS Aden Baker Meinel, commanded by Commander Purple XVI, travelled though the remaining unexplored jump point in that system. They reveal a new system, named Esteban. This quadruple star system contains only a single planet, which has a colony cost of 2.89, mostly due to its incredibly hot surface temperature of 340 degrees Celsius. The system will likely be of minimal value, but the single planet will make a potentially valuable listening post or way-station.

For this discovery, Commander Purple XVI has been awarded the New Horizons Badge.

July 12th, 2107

Admiral Wong Eun-Sook’s sudden death came as a shock to the entire Union of Terra. Having risen to supreme commander of the Terran Navy before the age of 40, most expected a long and storied career. However, late at night, the Admiral appears to have suffered a massive heart attack while attending to business in the Naval Headquarters on Terra. While Eun-Sook may have been extremely effective at climbing the ranks of the Navy, the Admiral had been less than capable of running that same organization. Beset by a series of high-profile scandals, as well as leaving the navy rudderless without a doctrine, there are certainly those withing both the High Command who will see this as a blessing in disguise. Present in almost all high-level circles of the Union of Terra is an unwillingness to investigate this admittingly suspicious matter further. The well regarded Rear-Admiral Mete Polatkan was quickly promoted and given full command of the navy, and has already begun ushering in change.

In addition to our ranking Admiral dying, this month saw the expansion of our large military shipyard, as well as the discovery of a large amount of minerals on a potentially habitable planet in the Nearpoint system.

September 10th, 2107

Better worlds are now possible! Our scientists finally unlock the secrets to terraforming technology. Awards are given, and then the same lab is set to the task of improving that technology.

This gives us the ability to, slowly, add or subtract atmospheric gases and vapor to or from a planet or moon. Terraformers are expensive and slow, but can make worlds way easier to colonize. There are three main methods of terraforming, with installations on the planet, with modules on ships in orbit of the planet, or lastly, in giant terraforming space stations that get towed into orbit by massive tugs. All offer unique advantages and disadvantages. Installations on a planet require population to operate them, this is best used on already heavily populated world. Ships with terraforming modules are quite expensive and inefficient, but offer the most flexibility, they can go anywhere in their range, and require no population on the target planet. Finally, giant space stations are much like ships, except instead of a fleet of terraforming vessels, you have one massive station. This means no duplication of components across many ships, and no paying for armor. They are also produced by our industry, not our shipyards, as they are way too big for a shipyard to produce. However, they must be towed into place, as stations cannot have engines, and are quite vulnerable due to a lack of armor.

December 07th, 2107

The next batch of three Sufficients are completed, with these we can easily begin to colonize another world.

December 31st, 2107

The last ship in production is launched just in time for the years end. That marks the total completion of the assigned building program. This program has diminished our wealth reserves, we are down to 7,099 wealth, but are running a razor thin surplus.

At year end our research is coming along nicely, we’ll see an upgrade to our mines very soon. Just over the horizon will be some serious increases in our engine technology. Which will be the results of our focus on Power & Propulsion.

Our shipyards have seen some improvements, though modest ones as this was not part of our industrial focus.

Here is the current map of our galaxy. Cyan dots denote colony cost 2 planets, blue dots represent habitable planets. Green circles around systems show that we have colonies in this system. Orange dots represent unexplored jump points, and red circles around the system tell us that the system has gravitation anomalies that could be jump points.

In contrast with the preceding years, the Admiralty was now a nexus of activity under the command of Admiral Mete Polatkan. There was a non-stop stream of information coming back from the fleet of survey vessels cataloging new worlds, systems, and anomalies. Teams of intelligence officers poured over this data, identifying strategic locations, and always searching for evidence of spacefaring intelligent life. There was much to accomplish, but the Navy was also facing budgetary cut-backs, the Union of Terra’s finances had been weakened by a shipbuilding program that had gone far over budget. The navy was going to have to make do with only the most modest of additions to the fleet until at least the start of the next decade. Admiral Polatkan knew one problem needed immediate rectification, the Navy must have a vessel capable of patrolling and projecting power into the ever-expanding known space around the Sol system. Designs would be tendered to the major shipbuilding firms. Furthermore, Admiral Polatkan was going to put an end to the laissez-faire attitude towards naval doctrine that had been allowed under the previous administration. The brightest minds within the navy are being called together to form a special task group. This group shall determine the strategic and tactical doctrines which shall guide naval construction for years to come.

We are going to save the economic and industrial policy vote for the end of the next update, which should coincide with the end of the decade. This vote will be about creating a basic set of doctrines which should help us build a fleet that can hope to fight as a cohesive unit. It will also give me guidelines around what military tech I should be focusing on. We are also going to have a ship design contest to build a vessel that can patrol our still small, but now much larger galaxy. This doctrine will not serve as an absolute, but will be a guide, and should aid us in picking ships during contests. To have a hope of victory our fleet must be more than a series of one-off designs, they must be made to work together. This will also help me decide what ships to request, as well as tech progression. None of the selected option will eliminate the others. For instance, a battleship focused fleet should still have some carriers, but they will be more focused towards supporting the battleships.

In addition to the vote, please submit designs for a patrol cruiser, no larger than 17,500 tons, that should ideally be able to operate for long periods of time, with minimal tanker service. It should be able to defend itself. I would consider a range of 10 billion kilometres a minimum, as that is what is needed to make a trip to the Adrastapol system's colony in the worst case planetary alignment, where it could refuel from a tanker. Feel free to design new parts. We will be producing two vessels ideally.

Here is the database for designing the ship

Here is the docket, please quote this for ease of tallying, just remove all but your selection. Thanks! I'll let this run for about 48 hours. I'll start the ship voting around the same time.

++++++++++++ Naval Doctrine Plan plus Colonial Direction ++++++++++++

1. The core fighting element of our battle fleet should consist of?

A. Large Battleships capable of high speeds, with heavy protection, and bristling with weapons. Think the fighting ships of steel that dominated late 19th and early 20th Century.

B. Carriers capable of transporting, refueling, and rearming numerous fighters and fast attack craft. Think the aircraft carriers of the Second World War.

C. Highly specialized mid-sized cruisers, while lacking the raw power of the above designs, these vessels can allow a higher degree of tactical flexibility when done correctly. These ships will somewhat resemble the frigates and destroyers of modern navies.

2. What should our general tactical doctrine be?

A. Fight at long range relying primarily on missiles to batter our opponent. This can be ineffective if our opponent has lots of PD or anti-missile systems. If we have range on our opponent we can stay outside of their lasers and railguns, minimizing the amount of incoming fire we take.

B. Missiles are used while closing to medium range, where lasers and particle beams cut our enemies to pieces. This leaves us less vulnerable to PD heavy enemies, but will also potentially put us in range of their laser weapons. Particle beams are very effective, while lasers will fight at reduced strength at this range

C. With lightning speed we close to short range where our railguns and lasers hit with unforgiving strength. Fighting this close in will be ruthless, we could even send across boarding parties to capture crippled vessels. Missiles are primarily used as an alpha strike, with slow or no reload to save space for beams and railguns. Alternatively, we can employ massive, hyper-fast short ranged missiles that can deal structural damage without even penetrating armor due to shock.

3. What should our general strategic doctrine be?

A. Aggressive Fleet Actions, we should always try to draw the enemy’s fleet into large decisive battles with the goal of achieving supremacy in space. We will take the fight directly to them, destroying or conquering their systems whenever possible.

B. Defensive Posture, The fleets primary goal is to protect the Union of Terra, offensive operation will still be undertaken, but with the goal of diminishing the enemy’s ability to conduct operation in and around our territory.

C. Raider Actions, we will organize small strike groups to operate independently inside enemy territory, striking at their economic base and civilian shipping. Fleet actions will be undertaken only when absolutely necessary. (warning: the AI does get to cheat on its military supplies, so we cannot choke them off of fuel, but certainly on other economic aspects.)

----end of naval doctrine---

4. What should our general approach to terraforming be?

A. We should terraform existing populated colonies with staffed installations whenever possible.

B. We should make a fleet of terraforming vessels, which can move under their own power to terraform both empty and populated worlds.

C. We should make massive orbital terraforming space stations, which can moved by tugs to terraform both empty and populated worlds.

5. We have a small fleet of unused Sufficients, what task should we set to them.

A. They should aid in the development of our existing colonies.

B. Create a colony in Adrantis and begin transporting colonists and infrastructure. This system has an ok balance of minerals, but they often are not easily accessible. The world we would be colonizing first contains a ruined alien settlement, it also would only require minimal terraforming to become a habitable world (colony cost 0).

C. Create a colony in Accatran and begin transporting colonists and infrastructure. This system has an excellent balance of minerals, and is extremely rich is accessible Duranium (roughly 200 million at an average accessibility of 0.5). The world we would first colonize has a very thin atmosphere and would require extensive terraforming to become habitable.

++++++++++++ End of Docket ++++++++++++

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 28, 2020

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Votes:

Fighting Force: B Swarming the enemy with fighters means that a single craft being shot down doesn't reduce our fighting power as much, and they'll be cheaper to replace, not to mention the lower human casualties.

Range: B/C Keep the carriers themselves reliant on missiles, of course, but have the fighters get in close with particle beams, railguns, and lasers.

Doctrine: A Crush anyone who opposes us so decisively that they never again think to get in our way.

Terraforming: B Keep our options versatile and flexible.

Spare Ships: A As governor of Adrastapalooza, I must request additional peons intrepid colonists to help make me money improve our economic conditions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A
B
C
C
A

I'm interested in seeing what capital ships + raiding doctrine ends up looking like, probably battlecruisers? Speed is king in Aurora so probably a good idea.

Terraforming space stations are cool as hell and also don't take up shipyard capacity which is very nice, I think they hit the sweet spot between installations and ships. Terraforming takes a long time and it's a major industrial investment no matter what, so moving more slowly than ships is a perfectly acceptable trade off when you only move once every decade or two, as long as you can still move.

Beefing up our already existing colonies to the point where they're self-sustaining is probably the best choice, once they hit a certain size native infrastructure production and population growth take off. I don't think we have any at that point yet though and I'd rather get a handful of colonies bootstrapped quick than spreading ourselves thin and having a dozen underdeveloped backwaters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

++++++++++++ Naval Doctrine Plan plus Colonial Direction ++++++++++++

A. Large Battleships capable of high speeds, with heavy protection, and bristling with weapons. Think the fighting ships of steel that dominated late 19th and early 20th Century.

Think Big

C. With lightning speed we close to short range where our railguns and lasers hit with unforgiving strength. Fighting this close in will be ruthless, we could even send across boarding parties to capture crippled vessels. Missiles are primarily used as an alpha strike, with slow or no reload to save space for beams and railguns. Alternatively, we can employ massive, hyper-fast short ranged missiles that can deal structural damage without even penetrating armor due to shock.

Keep Your Enemies Closer

A. Aggressive Fleet Actions, we should always try to draw the enemy’s fleet into large decisive battles with the goal of achieving supremacy in space. We will take the fight directly to them, destroying or conquering their systems whenever possible.

Best Defense is Offense

----end of naval doctrine---

B. We should make a fleet of terraforming vessels, which can move under there own power to terraform both empty and populated worlds.

Can't Think of a Silly Slogan

5. We have a small fleet of unused Sufficients, what task should we set to them.

B. Create a colony in Adrantis and begin transporting colonists and infrastructure. This system has an ok balance of minerals, but they often are not easily accessible. The world we would be colonizing first contains a ruined alien settlement, it also would only require minimal terraforming to become a habitable world (colony cost 0).

The Truth is Out There

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

A
B
C
C
A

I'm interested in seeing what capital ships + raiding doctrine ends up looking like, probably battlecruisers? Speed is king in Aurora so probably a good idea.

Terraforming space stations are cool as hell and also don't take up shipyard capacity which is very nice, I think they hit the sweet spot between installations and ships. Terraforming takes a long time and it's a major industrial investment no matter what, so moving more slowly than ships is a perfectly acceptable trade off when you only move once every decade or two, as long as you can still move.

Beefing up our already existing colonies to the point where they're self-sustaining is probably the best choice, once they hit a certain size native infrastructure production and population growth take off. I don't think we have any at that point yet though and I'd rather get a handful of colonies bootstrapped quick than spreading ourselves thin and having a dozen underdeveloped backwaters.

I think you picked the options I'm most interested in seeing work out. Battlecruiser raiding groups would definitely be outside what normally happens in Aurora, and would be super fun to see designed. The other combos good too of course.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 24, 2020

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

C. Highly specialized mid-sized cruisers, while lacking the raw power of the above designs, these vessels can allow a higher degree of tactical flexibility when done correctly. These ships will somewhat resemble the frigates and destroyers of modern navies

Obviously we need to start our fleet somewhere. Doctrine can't really be formed until we know what we are up against. I think this option is the best for now. However, we should also design battleships and carriers too. Eventually, we will meet aliens and we can then design fleets to face them.

B. Missiles are used while closing to medium range, where lasers and particle beams cut our enemies to pieces. This leaves us less vulnerable to PD heavy enemies, but will also potentially put us in range of their laser weapons. Particle beams are very effective, while lasers will fight at reduced strength at this range

Again we need tactical flexibility. A could leave us toothless, C is a terrible idea. B is a boring cowardly strategy but it may keep our ships safer, for longer

If we are in a war, we fight to win, not contain. That will just encourage the enemy to try again at another time.

B. We should make a fleet of terraforming vessels, which can move under there own power to terraform both empty and populated worlds.

Will allow us to redesignate terraforming targets quickly and give more of our officers ships to command.

I prefer to develop a few colonies as much as possible then move on, rather that have dozens of underdeveloped colonies.

I do like the idea of maybe combining commerce raiding with the decisive battle doctrine. I think the best strategy is a bold decapitation strike but that would depend on excellent knowledge of out opponents.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

1 A *hums Imperial March, again*
2 C :black101:
3 B Protect the emperor!
4 C Fear will keep the planets in line, fear of our terraforming stations.
5 C We need the ore there for special projects.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Poil posted:

1 A *hums Imperial March, again*
2 C :black101:
3 B Protect the emperor!
4 C Fear will keep the planets in line, fear of our terraforming stations.
5 C We need the ore there for special projects.

I like this suite too

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I am requesting being moved off of Army garrison duty on Europa and put on the next troop transport to a new colony.

Also voting:

acab

BBACC

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Here is the database for designing the ship

Almost forgot about it.

I also edited the guidelines on the patrol vessel, as the range I asked for as a guideline was much too far at our tech level with existing components. If you do design something with a better engine that can operate without a tanker please highlight that fact, as that should be a major plus for your design.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 24, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1.A
2.A
3.B
4.A
5.A

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
CABAA

Clearly Ion Cannon Frigates are the supreme vessel of the stellar skies. Mid-sized vessels built around huge cannons that can fire halfway across a system or as close as possible. We're a virtuous people, though, so we'll fight mainly to defend ourselves.

And terraforming already-colonized planets with on-planet terraformers seems like the best option. Less flexible than the other two, but it also sounds like it happens a lot more quickly and will be the least draining on our fleet resources.

I also maintain that Accatran should be colonized and at least one of the planets should be named after me.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

C. Highly specialized mid-sized cruisers, while lacking the raw power of the above designs, these vessels can allow a higher degree of tactical flexibility when done correctly. These ships will somewhat resemble the frigates and destroyers of modern navies.
B. Defensive Posture, The fleets primary goal is to protect the Union of Terra, offensive operation will still be undertaken, but with the goal of diminishing the enemy’s ability to conduct operation in and around our territory.
C. We should make massive orbital terraforming space stations, which can moved by tugs to terraform both empty and populated worlds.

Ship design proposal.

code:
Hera class Patrol Vessel (P)      17,496 tons       354 Crew       1,742.4 BP       TCS 350    TH 768    EM 0
2194 km/s      Armour 5-60       Shields 0-0       HTK 96      Sensors 60/50/0/0      DCR 6      PPV 70.08
Maint Life 5.13 Years     MSP 4,373    AFR 408%    IFR 5.7%    1YR 277    5YR 4,154    Max Repair 128.00 MSP
Magazine 184    Cryogenic Berths 200    Tractor Beam     
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 23.5 months    Morale Check Required    

Mabuza-Mabuza Aero Engines Perpetual Soar (3)    Power 768.0    Fuel Use 40.00%    Signature 256.00    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 1,250,000 Litres    Range 32.1 billion km (169 days at full power)

Quad Gauss Cannon R100-25.00 Turret (4x12)    Range 10,000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 10,000 km    ROF 5       
Mabena Warning & Control Point Defence Fire Control R32-TS8000 (1)     Max Range: 32,000 km   TS: 8,000 km/s     69 38 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Porat & Cardozo Advanced Defence Systems Size 4.0 Missile Launcher (60.0% Reduction) (16)     Missile Size: 4.0    Rate of Fire 150
Foxfire Electronics Missile Fire Control FC27-R20 (1)     Range 27.1m km    Resolution 20
Vulpes Anti-Ship Missile (46)    Speed: 12,000 km/s    End: 37.1m     Range: 26.7m km    WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 40/24/12

Saleh Warning & Control Active Search Sensor AS36-R50 (1)     GPS 3000     Range 36m km    Resolution 50
Lackner-Ebner Active Search Sensor AS1-R1 (1)     GPS 3     Range 2m km    MCR 175.9k km    Resolution 1
Suvorov Electronics Thermal Sensor TH10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  61.2m km
Bahn-Lee EM Sensor EM10-50 (1)     Sensitivity 50     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55.9m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Centered around a new drive of efficient design, the Hera is suitable for extreme range operations without tanker support. It is also equipped with the very latest in passive sensor systems, and would thus be ideal for initial survey of unexplored wormholes. Armament consists of 16 missile tubes and four quad gauss turrets, which allows for tolerable firepower at missile range while possessing quite good defense against incoming missile fire, and the turrets are a tolerable back-up weapon against close-in strike craft.

Due to the extreme range of the ship, it is plausible that it will often be the only ship that can reliably reach another vessel in distress, such as an exploration ship that has suffered a maintenance failure. Therefore it has been equipped with a tractor beam to retrieve damaged ships, and a small cryotransport module for storing the crew of any ship that is not rescued before experiencing catastrophic failure.

The following components will require research:

code:
Mabuza-Mabuza Aero Engines Perpetual Soar
Engine Power 256.00    Fuel Use Per Hour 102.4 litres    Fuel per EPH 0.4
Thermal Signature 256.00    Explosion Chance 10%
Military Engine
Cost 128.00   Size 2,000 tons   Crew 40   HTK 6
Base Chance to hit 100%
Materials Required: Gallicite  128    
code:
Porat & Cardozo Advanced Defence Systems Size 4.0 Missile Launcher (60.0% Reduction)
Missile Size: 4.0    Rate of Fire 150
Cost 12.0   Size 120 tons   Crew 5   HTK 1
Base Chance to hit 100%
Materials Required: Duranium  3    Tritanium  9    
code:
Bahn-Lee EM Sensor EM10-50
Sensitivity 50
Detect Sig Strength 100:  17.68m km
Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55.9m km
Cost 50   Size 500 tons   Crew 20   HTK 1
Base Chance to hit 100%
Materials Required: Uridium  50    

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

CABAA

Clearly Ion Cannon Frigates are the supreme vessel of the stellar skies. Mid-sized vessels built around huge cannons that can fire halfway across a system or as close as possible. We're a virtuous people, though, so we'll fight mainly to defend ourselves.

Just so you know, all beam weapons are pretty short ranged, at least in comparison to missiles and the relative distances we cover. Beams top out at 1.5 million kilometres maximum range.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 24, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

B. Carriers capable of transporting, refueling, and rearming numerous fighters and fast attack craft. Think the aircraft carriers of the Second World War.

Battleships that do everything by themselves are more boring to design, and less effective than split up ships. Carrier groups are fun and make more interesting engagements.

A. Fight at long range relying primarily on missiles to batter our opponent. This can be ineffective if our opponent has lots of PD or anti-missile systems. If we have range on our opponent we can stay outside of their lasers and railguns, minimizing the amount of incoming fire we take.

Committing one way or the other will work better than trying to sit in the middle. A halvsies missile system gets eaten up by point defense and does nothing, either go big or go home. Beams are fun, but they also degenerate into 'whoever has more range + speed wins' so it's mostly tech levels winning fights.

:black101:

We don't need duranium. Earth has a million tons at accessibility 1, Luna has 3 million tons at 0.9, Europa has 1.25 million at 0.7.

Adrantis is interesting for the ruins plus being an outpost along that jump branch.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

A, B, C, A, B,

Fast battle cruisers with particle beams (now named phasers) that work as small strikgroups to cripple enemy shipping and colonies and can hold their own in case of enemy reaction enough to escape, as well as combine into larger fleet groups in case of large enemy fleets. Also can have multirole ships, serving from diplomacy to scouting.... All on a heavily armored and fast cruiser bristling with guns.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AAACB

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gnoman posted:

code:
Hera class Patrol Vessel (P)      17,496 tons       354 Crew       1,742.4 BP       TCS 350    TH 768    EM 0
2194 km/s      Armour 5-60       Shields 0-0       HTK 96      Sensors 60/50/0/0      DCR 6      PPV 70.08
Maint Life 5.13 Years     MSP 4,373    AFR 408%    IFR 5.7%    1YR 277    5YR 4,154    Max Repair 128.00 MSP

You can improve this by dropping the magazine and having a box launcher for every missile instead. Our tech is low enough that you need very deep magazines to make reloading be worthwhile. That gets it to:
code:
Hera - Improved class Patrol Vessel      16,190 tons       270 Crew       1,557.6 BP       TCS 324    TH 768    EM 0
2371 km/s      Armour 5-57       Shields 0-0       HTK 74      Sensors 60/50/0/0      DCR 6      PPV 59.28
Maint Life 5.43 Years     MSP 4,360    AFR 349%    IFR 4.9%    1YR 248    5YR 3,718    Max Repair 128.00 MSP
where it is both smaller & can launch every missile at the same time if it wants

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The ability to easily reload from a collier seems to be essential to the idea of "patrol cruiser" to me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Foxfire_ posted:

You can improve this by dropping the magazine and having a box launcher for every missile instead. Our tech is low enough that you need very deep magazines to make reloading be worthwhile. That gets it to:
code:
Hera - Improved class Patrol Vessel      16,190 tons       270 Crew       1,557.6 BP       TCS 324    TH 768    EM 0
2371 km/s      Armour 5-57       Shields 0-0       HTK 74      Sensors 60/50/0/0      DCR 6      PPV 59.28
Maint Life 5.43 Years     MSP 4,360    AFR 349%    IFR 4.9%    1YR 248    5YR 3,718    Max Repair 128.00 MSP
where it is both smaller & can launch every missile at the same time if it wants

You shoved 46 box launchers onto this thing? I can't tell from this part of the ship readout. Also, if the ship only gets one shot, you may as well strip most of the armor off.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's always fascinating seeing the ships people come up with, I have more of a 40%+ mass is engines or don't even bother sort of vibe.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, took Gnoman's design, stripped the magazine and reloadable launchers and added a box launcher for every missile that was there. It's 1000 tons smaller to have 46 box launchers than 16 reloadable launchers and 30 missiles in a magazine. The one downside is that it will require a flat 16 hours to reload instead of 4 hours (4 hours is assuming one ordnance transfer system per collier).

e: What is the patrol cruiser intended to spend it's time doing?

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 25, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

A. Raider Actions, we will organize small strike groups to operate independently inside enemy territory, striking at their economic base and civilian shipping. Fleet actions will be undertaken only when absolutely necessary. (warning: the AI does get to cheat on its military supplies, so we cannot choke them off of fuel, but certainly on other economic aspects.)

snip

A. Create a colony in Accatran and begin transporting colonists and infrastructure. This system has an excellent balance of minerals, and is extremely rich is accessible Duranium (roughly 200 million at an average accessibility of 0.5). The world we would first colonize has a very thin atmosphere and would require extensive terraforming to become habitable.

You've got a couple extra As that I think should probably be Cs.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

LLSix posted:

You've got a couple extra As that I think should probably be Cs.

cut and paste is my enemy, thanks. Can't believe I missed those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Least micro for OP and 100% of aurora LPs so far have burned out the OP which makes OP preference a major factor for me. Would be happy with any of these.

Carrier is cool because planets are basically really big carriers.

I'm not sure what's optimum in C#. I'm fine with anything. Deliberately leaving this blank. All space battles are fun.

B for boring.

Any of these are fine. This is just the one we haven't seen before.

C. Create a colony in Accatran and begin transporting colonists and infrastructure. This system has an excellent balance of minerals, and is extremely rich is accessible Duranium (roughly 200 million at an average accessibility of 0.5). The world we would first colonize has a very thin atmosphere and would require extensive terraforming to become habitable.

My thinking here is that the Sufficient class is pretty much purpose designed to be sent off on a secondary task like this. May as well use them that way. Also, while it's true that colonies reach a tipping point where they grow faster, population growth is a bell curve so it's not that big a deal. Getting more smaller colonies running at once is fine too unless you're going to math out the optimum population for each planet. C# changed max pop to vary by planet size and some other factors, so the optimum pop is different for each planet.