Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

How dare you completely overlook the best pokemon in Glimwood Tangle? For some reason, this forest is full of teacups. It's by far my favourite pokemon of this generation, although I don't have the slightest clue why it lives here of all places. (I guess there isn't any indoor area with encounters in Galar, is there... they'd have been perfect in an abandoned mansion or something like we had in Gen 1.)

Falconier111 posted:

Not to mention a literal Otherkin over here. He wants us to put on some clothes that will inspire a fiery spirit, whatever that means. I’m assuming he wants me to put on a Fire Gym uniform or something. I’ll consider it, but I have something else I need done first.

This is a bit more annoying than a Fire gym uniform, unfortunately (pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work); as far as I can tell, the only way to get it to work is to buy all the fire versions of the clothing sold in Hammerlocke and wear those. He gives you the Acrobatics TM, so decide if that's worth it; it's a nontrivial chunk of change to buy all those clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm perfectly fine with talking about how this franchise has changed over the years, especially since dumb knowledge like that is what I enjoy talking about for other series I've played or followed.

As for our new Galarian Ponyta, let's call it Lite Brite.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Explopyro posted:

How dare you completely overlook the best pokemon in Glimwood Tangle? For some reason, this forest is full of teacups. It's by far my favourite pokemon of this generation, although I don't have the slightest clue why it lives here of all places. (I guess there isn't any indoor area with encounters in Galar, is there... they'd have been perfect in an abandoned mansion or something like we had in Gen 1.)

This is a bit more annoying than a Fire gym uniform, unfortunately (pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work); as far as I can tell, the only way to get it to work is to buy all the fire versions of the clothing sold in Hammerlocke and wear those. He gives you the Acrobatics TM, so decide if that's worth it; it's a nontrivial chunk of change to buy all those clothes.

That TM is so worth it.

I know I named things but let's go with Rhiannon for the Ponyta

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I spend a long time looking for those cup pokemon in the woods there. Still haven't found the one I want.

Going with this incident was Rose's idea? Doesn't really fit. But someone else does, we saw that Oleana told Bede to meet with her privately recently. Who's to say she didn't lie to him in order to get Bede thrown out so Rose has less people to focus on?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Robindaybird posted:

That TM is so worth it.

I know I named things but let's go with Rhiannon for the Ponyta

Alright, you got me curious. I wonder what Bulbapedia has to say about that move :vince:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

Uh, hey, Britgoons. Is this based on a real place? Asking for a friend.

I'm not familiar with the Sherwood area but there are some villages in the New Forest in Hampshire that are a less overgrown/mushroom-filled version of this. Not full of fairies though. At least in daylight :tinfoil: And there are plenty of towns and villages all over the place with the same building style (black and white Tudor), especially in Herefordshire.

I really love Ballonlea's aesthetic as well.

Falconier111 posted:

Alright, you got me curious. I wonder what Bulbapedia has to say about that move :vince:

Yeah, Acrobatics is a very, very good move and a lot of things learn it that can put it to very, very good use. I'm sure someday they'll nerf it to 70% accuracy or something.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I wouldn't be surprised if they think that "can't hold an item" is a good balancer for competitive. There's still some great combos that can come from it, sure (with consumable items mostly, like the White Herb, though one of the ones that made it probably the most famous is no longer available at all) but beyond that you'd be either sacrificing giving your other moves some extra oomph to boost just one. Or using up a move slot in case you get Knock Offed.

It's great for in game but in-game is for dumb baby children, they wouldn't care about that.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 24: Neath Shadowed Boughs

… It’s kind of funny how Ballonlea doesn’t have anywhere you can go for a nice sit.

Yeah…

But I suppose there’re far worse places to have a nap, you know?

Gloria?

What?

You ran outta stall tactics a bit ago. ’s okay. You ain’t wastin’ my time an’ I’m not gonna judge you. Go ahead.

Okay.

*breathe in*

*breathe out*

Have you run into Bede, by any chance?

The ponce?

So you have. And you remember Hop?

I actually fought him part way to Hulbury. Gave me a run for my money.

But you won, right?

Yeah.

Hop… Bede destroyed Hop in a fight a week back now, I think? But he didn’t just beat him, he managed to worm his way into Hop’s head and actually mess him up. I was furious. He hurt my best friend, you know? I kinda fixated on getting back at him and did some deep dives on social media and such. The next time I saw him, I threw everything I found back in his face.

And, and he took it and, and…

I need to start somewhere else.

I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder at four years old. I was living with my extended family up at the Crown Tundra at the time, and… Let’s just say they weren’t supportive. I don’t really remember what went down but me mum moved me out to a farm in Postwick. Dunno how she afforded it. The doctors said it was the ideal environment for me, and, you know, it shoulda been, but… I was a little autistic girl who’d just been moved halfway across the country and had no idea what’s what. But I started to get a handle on it all. I don’t know if it was the therapists or me mum or his parents that came up with the idea, but they put me together with the neighbor’s kid, Hop, who was struggling with some pretty severe ADHD. And… We clicked. We helped each other out. And with the help of our families and the Magnolias we managed to get it all under control for a while.

I never figured out what happened exactly, but I had to change schools when I entered First Form, and… Things didn’t go well. The change was just… Too much. Too much at once. I felt meself slipping. I was losing control. I’d fought HARD for control, you know? But it just seemed to all compound and mix and swirl together…

One day, I had a massive panic attack. I dinae remember what caused it – I think it was something that kind of warranted some kinda panic but not that much, you know? Anyway, a few weeks before, Sonia – you said you knew her through Piers – anyway, Sonia got lost in the Slumbering Weald for a couple days and came out kind of harrowed. So I thought, if I wanted to leave everything behind, that’s where I go, too, right? When I came to in th’ woods, another part of me just told me to sit down curl up and stay there. Just… Stay there. Th’ whole town turned out to look for me and I heard them and just kept silent. You know what broke me out of it? I heard Hop walking by and calling me name while he sent me text after text after text, when I next open up my phone, there’re like 70.

Things… Things actually got a lot better after that. I was able to pull myself together and start doin’ things. Me grades climbed, I learned how to deal with things. Apparently I’m a right success story now. And, you know, my issues, they’ve been… rough, at times, on the Challenge, but never unbearable. And then Bede hurt him and hurt me, because even though we aren’t related we may as well be brother and sister, and then he somehow managed to dig all of this up and throw it right in my face when I wasn’t expecting it. I’m not likely to roll back to it or anything, but… I just wanted to be able to talk about it, you know? Just… Tell someone about all of it, give myself a little distance, look at it from a remove… It helps, it helps a lot. Thank you so much for listening, Marnie. Just talking about it made it a little easier.

… I got my diagnosis when I was five.

Wait, you too?

Yes. We’d lost our mum an’ da the year before, so they weren’t sure if it was just me missin’ them for a while, but, eventually, evidence built up too much. Piers’d already made it, but we still didn’t have that much money, so we couldn’t get much help or anythin’. They ended up havin’ to crowdsource it, in a way. That’s why Team Yell keeps followin’ me ‘round like that. They offer a bit of a smokescreen, I suppose; I always know they’re supportin’ me an’ not judgin’ me. You know those horns they carry ‘round? I used to listen to ‘em when I was little, they were the only loud sound I could tolerate back then. Somethin’ about them…

They’re giant stim toys! I KNEW there was a reason I liked the sound.

You too? Yeah. I mean, they all c’n definitely be overwhelmin’, but they don’t know any better, even though they get in people’s ways so much, I can’t help but forgive ’em, you know? I have made a lot of progress in social display an’ such. I wanna show ‘em I appreciate ‘em. But I keep scoldin’ ‘em instead of thankin’ ‘em because they just get so shirty, an’ I can’t smile at them as I can’t really smile naturally at all, an’ I’m still strugglin’ with how to put up with touchin’ other people…

… You’re holding my hand right now…

Gloria… The first time we talked, y’asked me to infodump an’ actually listened. Nobody else has. Lotta people try, but they get kinda bored after a while ‘til even I can pick it up. But you just listened an’ listened an’ you asked questions that I could answer. An’ when you started talkin’ about things, they just… Made sense. I ain’t never connected with anybody before like that.

I’ve always known I liked boys, an’ at first I thought I just wanted you as a friend. But when you mentioned likin’ girls… I kept thinkin’, “maybe she’s the exception”. An’, an’ you are. I’ve never liked ANYBODY like I like you. You just… UNDERSTAND me better’n anybody I ever met. An’, an’ you’re STRONG. You had a worse experience than I did an’ you just waded through it, an’ now look at you. You’re amazin’. I… Maybe this is a bit forward, an’ I don’t know if you’re actually interested, so you can say no if you want, I understand, but I was, I was wondering if we could, you knowmmmf!

:h:

:blush:

:blush:

Gloria, I THOUGHT I saw your tent :ohno:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 21, 2020

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Oh, and as a reminder for the new page; we still need a name for our Ponyta and who we should kick out to fit it in.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Let's name the pony Twi. Sporkle.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

that update was :kimchi: and i second Lite Bright

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

LiefKatano posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they think that "can't hold an item" is a good balancer for competitive. There's still some great combos that can come from it, sure (with consumable items mostly, like the White Herb, though one of the ones that made it probably the most famous is no longer available at all) but beyond that you'd be either sacrificing giving your other moves some extra oomph to boost just one. Or using up a move slot in case you get Knock Offed.

It's great for in game but in-game is for dumb baby children, they wouldn't care about that.

I had a lot of fun in the Battle Tower with a Hawlucha that had the Unburden ability, using Sky Attack with a Power Herb. That does ridiculous damage and then immediately activates both Acrobatics and Unburden :getin: I'm not sure it's worth the sacrifice in versatility of spending two move slots on flying-type moves, but drat if it isn't satisfying to use.

Can't really do that in the main game though, I think you have access to like two Power Herbs total unless you get lucky with Pickup.

Acrobatics is a really solid move, I only meant "it might not be worth it" in that you're effectively buying the TM from that guy and you might not have anyone who can learn it.

Sorry I don't have much comment on the actual writing here, I like what you're doing with these characters though.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 25: My Morning Tea is Kicking In

Postwick - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Yeah, love? I’m in the middle of shearing, but they’re not going anywhere. What’s up?

Oh?

What did I tell you? :smugdog:

Professor Magnolia's Laboratory - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Hello, hello, Gloria! You feeling better?

Ask away!

Hmm… Can’t say I know her very well, but I do know Piers is completely devoted to her. He’s such a sweetheart! It’s been too long since we lost contact, I can’t thank you enough for getting me his number.

… Well, I THINK he’s too nice a guy to try and hunt you down…

Wyndon - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I can’t take TOO long, but I have a moment while my coworker cools down. You sound pretty perky, did something happen?

… You know, I probably should’ve seen that coming, but I suppose I just wasn’t paying enough attention. Congratulations!

:rant:

Gym Lobby - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

…Hop, I already told you, don’t worry about it. We talked after you bolted and, we have a date in Hammerlocke the moment I get the Fairy Badge!

… Did you have something need to tell me? I’m all ears.

You sure? I’m always willing to listen, you know that.

Good, because I’m too busy thinking about my girlfriend :smugdog:

All right, mate. Talk to you soon, and best of luck!

Gym time :getin:

Before we go toe to toe with Opal at last, we have someone to talk to!

Is love in the air, or is it just this Pokéball? Here, try it out and see for yourself!

The Love Ball helps you catch Pokémon… Of the opposite gender of whatever Pokémon you have out :negative:.

I’m not sure whether to be amused or insulted.

Fairy is my weakest type. It came out during Gen 6, long after I stopped playing, and mechanics are foreign to me. I’ve been avoiding playing with a type chart open because of the sheer cheesiness of it all, but I’ve actually had to consult it in order to stand a chance. I am good at Pokémon :downs:! Plus, my team as it stands is nearly devoid of Poison and Steel moves outside of Dietrich, and since those are Fairy’s only weaknesses, I might be in a bit of a bind. I did a little bit of adventuring on the side to pull together a few things. We’ll see if it ends up mattering.

Speaking of which…

:getin:

Gym - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

See, I’m looking for a successor to take on the role of Gym Leader here. So my Gym mission serves as an audition of sorts, too. Oh, don’t worry. It’s simple enough. All you need to do is battle my Trainers and answer the questions they ask along the way. Think carefully before answering, though, child. If you get the wrong answer, the stats of your Pokémon will be lowered. Oh, but if you answer correctly, your Pokémon will get a stat boost. Just think of it as a little Fairy-type Pokémon magic to make things interesting. Now, I want you to go all out. Show me what you can do!

And there you have it; in one paragraph, Opal made my commentary on this Gym nearly irrelevant. In short? The entire Gym is a quiz show.

Here’s the format for our lucky contestant:

Gym Trainer Annette: …Gym Leader.

We get three Trainer fights in a row, without breaks; the only true endurance match in the game thus far. So to speak. Partway through the fight, each interrupts you with a question:

This first question is a lowball; both are right. I’ll choose Poison here because that’s the type I’ll use against most of the local Pokémon (spoilers!)

The trainers fight you one by one, each interrupting you during combat by demanding you answer some question. Some of the answers are obvious; one asks you what the previous Trainer’s name was, for example. Others…

Screw you, lady. But they ultimately aren’t all that scary; we don’t even get a Gym complete screen after we finish. Time for the lightning round.

I’ve gotten a good look at how you handled those quizzes. The last part of the mission is me… Let me have a look at how you and your partner Pokémon behave!

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Gym Leader Battle Music

She opens with the most incredibly British floating bong I’ve ever seen. I was counting on riding the Poison weakness all the way home, but I forgot that Weezing’s inherent dankness makes it Poison-type–

Yes, she interrupts combat to ask you more questions. Since Weezing is Fairy/Poison, Poison does normal damage, so I just hammer away at it for a couple hits until it falls. Next up is Mawile, which I BELIEVED was partially Steel type, which I ALSO believed was weak to Fire. So I brought out Bruce and had him show off his signature move (he picked it up when he evolved)...

Which then missed. And it only has five PP :argh:! I tried again…

And I was right :dance:! It went down in one hit. Next up comes her Togekiss, her second to last. So my plan was throw out Dietrich–

The music changes tone through Gym Leader fights to amp you up as you reach the end (see the link above). This question interrupted the track and jarringly reverted it to the earlier, darker theme until I answered it. OPAL :argh:!

My plan was to throw out Dietrich, hit the Togekiss once with a normal attack, then Dynamax it to seal the deal… Which in retrospect probably would have wasted a turn of Dynamax. Instead, my Poison attack Poisoned the enemy and I just took the opportunity to heal Dietrich a bit while it choked itself to death. She’d still taken some substantial damage, so I switched her out for Chairman, who I’d given a Poison attack while adventuring earlier.

:yum:

Did a lot less damage than I hoped :saddowns:

The funny thing about all that production? It wasn’t very effective. It did some damage AND healed it too – but not enough to keep up with the damage Chairman could put out. So this point, my strategy was pretty much to have Chairman absorb the layer cake’s G-Max moves and, whether or not she ended up biting it, have someone else clean up the wreckage. Turns out, Chairman was just tough enough to survive all those hits, despite…

… That. My first time through, I picked 88 because “I bet she’d appreciate honesty :downs:”. No. Anyway, the moment their Dynamaxes wore off, Chairman polished Alcremie off, ending the fight.

Not bad, not bad at all. Still, not what I’m looking for… Oh, don’t worry yourself about it, child. It’s just a matter of my preference. I’ll find the next Gym Leader elsewhere. In fact, I’ve already got an idea about where to look. Too bad about the audition, but here’s a Fairy Badge for your efforts.

Of course it’s no good to disrespect your elders, but old folk like me should also know when it’s time to step out of the spotlight.

I think the game has a theme is trying to get across. Do you think the game has a theme is trying to get across? Anyway, we scraped past another knockout again; even taking Type weaknesses into account, that Alcremie would've just pasted Dietrich. But once again, I managed to take down a Gym Leader without casualties.

For context, I remember regularly losing two or three Pokémon out of six in earlier games to Leaders. I almost never lost outright, even the first time I ran into them, but they didn’t fold like this. I’m not sure I’d call Pokémon games HARD, per se. If you didn’t grind, they could be deeply challenging, but the mechanics encouraged grinding even more heavily than most JRPGs (you end up leaving a lot of debris behind you when you try to catch them all). If you were willing to sink some time into, say, scouring the last Route for new Pokémon and kitting yourself out with an appropriate team before hitting the Gym, it didn’t really matter how tough they were because you could just pound them down with bigger numbers. In fact, it’s part of why Pokémon games stand out from members of the genre; while grinding inevitably gets boring, no matter what game you play, Pokémon rewards you for grinding by giving you rare Pokémon to hunt for and objectives to achieve instead of just making you bang your head against random enemies. It’s a brilliant way to extend gameplay

Still kind of grates how easy this game is.

Ballonlea - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I’ve got a few errands to run in Hammerlocke. Care to join me for the journey? If you’re headed for the next Gym Stadium, you’ll need to get to Hammerlocke, too, after all.

Do I have a choice?

Of course you do, dear.

:sigh: Fine, I’ll call us a skytaxi.

… What?

Oh, don’t mind me. Merely enjoying your discomfort.

:cripes:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I think Opal's my second-favorite Gym Challenge. I like the messing with stat changes thing, though it doesn't really get a chance to shine in most of the battles (and they're undone if you switch out at all, so eh.)

Opal's pretty great in general though, if for no other reason than her amazing Dynamaxing animation:

https://twitter.com/lief_katano/status/1196865593040728064?s=20

It's subtle, sorta, but I enjoy her pose when she recalls Alcremie and her struggling under the weight of the Dynamaxed Ball. In general I really like the bits of personality the Dynamax animations have.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, Opal's just great in general. She's a crazy old woman, she's irreverent, but understands that yes, she's old, and honestly should step out of the limelight in favor of the next generations, and is sorta trying to, but at the same time, just can't help but still having a bunch of fun with it.

Her "I'm getting serious" face is also terrifying.

She's wonderful.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Opal is indeed the best

I also like that her gym has easy questions, but then hers are trick ones - ie: she talks up the color pink a bunch, but has a giant purple feather boa. That, and the "correct" choice for the age question is 16, because she's not entirely serious. Plus, her eyeshadow and big nose makes me think of Studio Ghibli old lady characters, and that's always an A+

BlazetheInferno posted:

Her "I'm getting serious" face is also terrifying.

whatever could you mean

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Opal is indeed the best :allears: And we all know we haven't actually seen her best moment yet.

I see her as being great friends with Professor Magnolia. Old ladies who take no poo poo and enjoy the world's inability to cope with it. And once they're both retired, with nothing to do except terrify the region? Hell yeah.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

It would be lovely if we had our own version of the Petra temple carved into Cheddar Gorge, but, alas, our ancestors were too busy drawing dicks on every hillside.

And while I don't know where Stow-On-Side is supposed to be, the fact that we have a town whose name is basically Carry-on Luggage is a beautiful thing. I'd love to hear their rivals' football chants.

Oh, missed it then, but I think the secret meaning of a town's name is enough to qualify for a :britain:post. You mind?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like Stow-on-Side is just Game Freak's weird fixation in having a Desert Area in every game even if it doesn't make sense for the region.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Oh, missed it then, but I think the secret meaning of a town's name is enough to qualify for a :britain:post. You mind?

Heh, I wouldn't say no! Though it occurred to me to look up the name, and while it most calls to mind Stoke-on-Trent (a fairly nondescript city in the Midlands), according to Wiki there's a parish of Stowe in Buckinghamshire - the name of Stowe referring to "a holy place of great significance". Though I don't know if either have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind.
(On-Side could be a reference to anything from Teeside to Merseyside to the offside rule in football, which is incomprehensibly arcane.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

inflatablefish posted:

Though I don't know if either have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind.

(On-Side could be a reference to anything from Teeside to Merseyside to the offside rule in football, which is incomprehensibly arcane.)

Wait, you're saying football doesn't have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Quackles posted:

Wait, you're saying football doesn't have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind?

1966 isn't exactly ancient...

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I love that Galarian Wheezing's poison clouds have formed into a moustache and a goatee on its respective faces. :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

Heh, I wouldn't say no! Though it occurred to me to look up the name, and while it most calls to mind Stoke-on-Trent (a fairly nondescript city in the Midlands), according to Wiki there's a parish of Stowe in Buckinghamshire - the name of Stowe referring to "a holy place of great significance". Though I don't know if either have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind.

There's also a Stowmarket in Suffolk, with the same root of a significant place. So yeah, Stow-On-Side's name means an important place on the side of something (a river? A lake? A gorge? Who knows)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

There's also a Stowmarket in Suffolk, with the same root of a significant place. So yeah, Stow-On-Side's name means an important place on the side of something (a river? A lake? A gorge? Who knows)

Well, the magical mural is on the side of the cliff, maybe it's that rather than the geographical location of the town?

(Now I'm wondering if Galar has an equivalent of Weston-super-Mare.)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

What a great lead-in!

Update 26: PINK!

Hammerlocke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Though I suppose some Pokémon prefer it that way.

… And, that’s it. Bye, Opal! But don’t make it past the town square before…

Well, look who it is.

Bede's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

… Challenger status revoked?

Not really. I’m here on my way to Circhester and I just happened to run into you. The world doesn’t revolve around you, Bede. But I suppose you know that now, don’t you?

You know what? Congratulations, Gloria. You won. Everything I had really belonged to Rose, and he took it all away. I’m lucky he left me the clothes on my back and didn’t try to confiscate my Pokémon. I have nothing.

I just felt a tiny burst of pity. Then I remembered how you hurt Hop, and it drained away.

:sigh: That’s fair.

… Did you just show remorse? I didn’t even know you were capable.

So sincere and straightforward and yet so twisted and misguided… I like it! That’s the kind of thing that gives people some depth!

There are a lot of things I’ve done that I regret now. But, whatever. I’m going back home, to Unova. I still have Unovan citizenship; I never bothered applying here. I figured Rose would handle it. Leave me alone, Gloria. Go on and enjoy your Challenge, because you’ll never have to see me again.

Wow. Do… Do you want me to pay your fare? I have more than enough money…

No, and gently caress you very much for suggesting it –

Bede spots Opal and glances over.

M-Ms. Opal? What in the world has gotten into you?!

Let me guess: Rose promised you the world if you would only help him after he picked you up out of the gutter. He does that, you know; you wouldn’t be his first protégé. Where do you think he found Oleana?

I –

And let me guess, she stood up for you whenever he seemed to grow disappointed? She tries to mold herself completely to his will, but she just can’t follow through. Her will is too strong. He likes that, you know: he wants his subordinates competent, confident workers who still wholly believe he’s better than them. After all, that’s how he sees the world; other people can make good decisions, but he makes the best decisions of all.

Okay, hold up –

Don’t interrupt, young man. I bet you thought he was tolerant of your mistakes, that he would forgive you if and when you went astray. And I bet you thought he did, more than once. That’s not how it works. He tolerates imperfection, not incompetence. And if he thinks you’re incompetent? Even if you’re not, even if there are mitigating circumstances, even if it’s sheer bad luck? Then that’s it for you. You’re not the first person he’s done this to, you know. I presume you remember Milo?

Wait, him? But he –

Oh, he’s harmless now. But he has a natural head for business. Rose thought he could use him. He couldn’t; even then, at his meanest, Milo just couldn’t keep up. One day he made the mistake of passing up an opportunity to poach a whole line of business out from under Rose’s nose, thinking: I’m not going to undermine Mr. Rose! And he admitted to that when Rose asked him. Not ruthless enough, I’m afraid – within the week, he was out on his arse. Now he just herds Wooloos all day. It would be a waste if he wasn’t so GOOD at it, he keeps Turffield’s economy afloat almost by his lonesome.

I’m afraid you’re out of options now, child. You could set aside everything you’ve known for most of your life and go back to a home you barely remember, if you wish. Or,
I might be able to help you out. I could use you as a Trainer at my Gym.

Why would you even want me? I hurt people and break things. It’s kind of my only thing.

Pity back up and running…

Young man, you’re a misguided teenager, of course you break things. Your worst crimes are hurting people’s feelings and accidentally uncovering one of the greatest archaeological finds of the decade. Have you even seen all the hubbub around those statues?

My phone was the chairman’s property.

Consider a new phone a signing bonus, and of course you’ll get room and board. I truly believe you have what it takes to make it as a member of the Fairy Gym. Maybe even more.
Of course, it all depends on how much hard work you’re willing to put in, too.

You know what? gently caress it. Whatever. I don’t have anything better to do.

That’s the spirit, boy. As for you,
farewell for now, child. You should head to Circhester. I trust you know the way.

And they head out.

Hammerlocke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

You know what? They deserve each other. gently caress it, I have a date to catch.

You know, Marnie’s right that the hat clashes with the outfit, but I like it anyways. She was right about the haircut, though.

We’re back in Hammerlocke, folks. Previous games usually laid out their map in a single circuit, passing through every Gym along the way and a giant circle (albeit with a bunch of detours and skips along the way). The way Galar’s laid out as a tree with branches strikes me as kind of –

Sonia's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

That’s not all that’s going well :smugdog:.

I imagine. You’ve been keeping up with the news? On the statues?

On and off, I’ve been a mite busy, but yeah. Do you still need my input? I mean, the whole town’s crawling in experts now…

And you’re the only one who knows about the Darkest Day. Shoot.

Fair enough. Alfred… Honestly, I didn’t know as much about that time period as the other two, I just never got interested when I was younger. But I did some studying after the tapestries, and… Look. Things were bad for Gudelic and the Brother Kings, but they were a human-scale sort of bad. Alfred’s Galar, though… We’re talking about crop failure, disease, massacres as state policy, Pokémon going on spontaneous rampages – and that one sounds familiar. Before then the biggest state in Galar was the Kingdom of Sied–

Like Stow-on-Side?

Spelled differently, but yeah, it was named after its most important river. Anyway, a lot of the trouble boiled down to the Side River being overused for irrigation; did you know that used to be the single most agriculturally productive part of Galar? The Old Unovans spent a lot of blood keeping it under control. Anyway, it was already running low, but the whole region underwent some rapid desertification right as harvests started failing elsewhere. And it stuck, too. Do you know what Stow-on-Side’s name was in Old Galarian? Grenestowe. Or, roughly, the Green Place. And if that’s what the Darkest Day does…

:stare:

Aye. But! Alfred the Unifier managed to bring an end to the worst of things just a few years after coming to power in modern Wedgehurst. He’s especially famous for never shedding blood or going to war; he did defend itself when attacked and he did politic pretty ruthlessly – loads of nobles died in exile after crossing him – but he peacefully united Galar Proper. In fact, his Kingdom of Galar’s borders are how we define Galar Proper today. But that’s the postscript. The interesting part? He had a pair of bodyguards that followed him everywhere. You can probably guess their names.

Yeah, I noticed that in my own research. Do you think it’s them?

Well, here’s the thing. A lot of elements lineup, but those two bodyguards were almost certainly humans. They even had families, and those families ended up following some of the Alfredic Dynasty’s last members to Muneth after the Brother Kings took over. And yet… We also know they both came from the area around modern Postwick. And, I swear one of those wolves is a dead ringer for the one I ran into in the Weald.

So, do they, like, shape shift? Did they both work with the real Zacian and Zamazenta?

Search me. That –

What was that?!

That’s where Chairman Rose’s powerplant is, isn’t it? Something’s buzzing in my pocket… It’s gran’s Power Spot Detector. Uh. Apparently, Hammerlocke is currently knee-deep in Galar particles. That… There’s enough here for Pokémon to spontaneously Dynamax.

:stare:

Seems Chairman Rose is testing something again.

Leon, PLEASE make them stop. Do you WANT half the Pokémon in Hammerlocke to spontaneously Dynamax? ‘Cause we’re dangerously close to that happening!

What? Yeah, that would be bad. I’ll go throw my weight around and stop the experiment now. Can you come with? I’ll probably need you explain your readings there.

Absolutely – plus we don’t want you getting lost. Gloria,
I’m really looking forward to seeing you compete in the Finals. We’ve got this under control. Head to Circhester and get that Gym Badge!

Good luck! Don’t die! Running running running...

As a reminder: if you spot any vocabulary or expressions that aren’t present in British, I’d appreciate you pointing them out to me so I can fix them. Not sure if it’s a problem in this post specifically, but I do want to keep this at least marginally authentic.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 28, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

There's something useful for Bede to do after all!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Character depth is always nice but the non-LP version where Opal just cackles and gleefully drags off a very confused and horrified Bede with no explanation is probably my favourite moment in any Pokemon game.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I feel like Stow-on-Side is just Game Freak's weird fixation in having a Desert Area in every game even if it doesn't make sense for the region.

It’s biome representation, I think. Water route for water Pokémon, cave route for cave Pokémon, desert route for desert Pokémon. Doesn’t matter how well it fits, gotta give the kiddies some variety in what they can catch.

Black Robe posted:

Character depth is always nice but the non-LP version where Opal just cackles and gleefully drags off a very confused and horrified Bede with no explanation is probably my favourite moment in any Pokemon game.

My favorite image in the LP thus far.

inflatablefish posted:

1966 isn't exactly ancient...

So they DO have a magical mural somewhere?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
And here begins the trend that bothers a lot of people about this game; Interesting Plot Stuff™ happens!

And everyone else goes "We'll handle this, you go on with your gym challenge" and send you off to not see the interesting stuff happen.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

And here begins the trend that bothers a lot of people about this game; Interesting Plot Stuff™ happens!

And everyone else goes "We'll handle this, you go on with your gym challenge" and send you off to not see the interesting stuff happen.
considering this is the point in time that earlier games would have the first brush with the villain team in the form of a smaller dungeon, (ie: Celadon Game Corner, Aqua/Magma Volcano Fuckery, Veilstone Building, etc) it's a little grating for the game to loudly announce the plot that's happening "JUST OFFSCREEN, TRUST US" before shooing us along

there's a number of moments like that where it feels like the plot is about to do something, and then gamefreak realized they had no budget and cut it

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's weird because when a massive explosion happened in Sinnoh, the game recognized it and stopped you from progressing further until you took care of the source of the blast (Team Galactic and Cyrus' nihilism). Here, it appears we're going for The Naked Gun approach and telling everyone there's nothing to see here, please remain calm. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal...if not for series veterans coming into this game, recalling the aforementioned Galactic Bombs and wondering why the game is telling the player to ignore the giant explosion.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
The whole romance side plot was kind of interesting, but it feels a tad off to me. Marnie never struck me as the kind of person interested in that sort of thing during the game. I know you've added character depth, but it still sticks out at me.

The funny thing is had you added that to Sun/Moon, it would work so freaking well. Lillie is perfect for the role of love interest. Even XY would be a great place for it too, given how close Shauna gets to the protagonist. There's even a moment in game that just screams "they ought to share a kiss here", though that moment comes kinda early.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

The whole romance side plot was kind of interesting, but it feels a tad off to me. Marnie never struck me as the kind of person interested in that sort of thing during the game. I know you've added character depth, but it still sticks out at me.

The funny thing is had you added that to Sun/Moon, it would work so freaking well. Lillie is perfect for the role of love interest. Even XY would be a great place for it too, given how close Shauna gets to the protagonist. There's even a moment in game that just screams "they ought to share a kiss here", though that moment comes kinda early.

Have some faith, brah. We haven't reached Spikemuth yet.

That said... my microsd card just kind of shat itself and derailed my updating for a while :shepface:. I'm pretty sure I can fix it without having to buy a new one, but... turns out transferring a card between systems nearly daily isn't the healthiest thing you can do for it :pseudo:

Also, I just caught a Crustle after it loving wrecked multiple pokemon, holy poo poo. Looking for names.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 24, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Also, I just caught a Crustle after it loving wrecked multiple pokemon, holy poo poo. Looking for names.
As someone who's crazy enough to have a monotype team for Ranked Battles, can confirm that Crustle is far more fun than it has any right to be. I've swept teams with one after a little bit of setup, it's glorious. :allears:

Suggesting the name Baklava, because I can't help but see its boulder as a layer cake thingy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blaziken386 posted:

As someone who's crazy enough to have a monotype team for Ranked Battles, can confirm that Crustle is far more fun than it has any right to be. I've swept teams with one after a little bit of setup, it's glorious. :allears:

Dwebble is my favorite Pokémon! And lemme guess. Shell Smash?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quackles posted:

Dwebble is my favorite Pokémon! And lemme guess. Shell Smash?
Shell Smash too OP pls nerf

especially with a +Spd nature and a salac berry :getin:

nobody expects something with 45 base speed to go that fast

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I second Baklava. Or. Hm. Bugklava. I'll see myself out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I always named my Dwebbles Dwebbie if they were female. But it left me at odds when they evolved...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

limeicebreakers posted:

I second Baklava. Or. Hm. Bugklava. I'll see myself out.

Yeah, I'm trying to shoehorn a pun in there like Baklawva or Baklobtsa, but it isn't really coming together so I'll just chime in as another voice for Baklava.

And now I want some baklava, haven't had any in ages.