Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

scavy131 posted:

Sitting Councilmember

We have no desire to see the reign of the queen ended so soon and have intents to vote as such, unless of course House Daucus, seemingly the only supporter of the Aye vote, would be willing to reconsider their position.

Perhaps if House Daucus would be willing to accept coin to attempt securing the Sticker for Nay?

We will reconsider our stance if House Pinchay (or someone else) agrees to sell us signing rights for the sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Quackles posted:

We will reconsider our stance if House Pinchay (or someone else) agrees to sell us signing rights for the sticker.

House Cyfoeth has no issue either signing rights for the sticker or formally declining to compete for the Nay sticker.

How does House Pinchay feel about this? Would you be willing to sell singing rights to House Daucus for a Nay vote?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Quackles posted:

Foreman

We're interested in this proposal. How much would you be willing to offer?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

We could offer you 5 Coins for the sticker. Does that seem fair?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Foreman

Proposal accepted. Welcome aboard the Nay train.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

To be clear: we will no longer vote Aye. We will now Pass.

And... thank you. :)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Blastinus posted:

Foreman

2 Gold to Pass

Treasurer

as the reign does not appear to be ending, Lethe will take this deal.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Blastinus posted:

Foreman

I think that House Pinchay is going Nay here, just for the fact that I'd rather not see the reign end quite yet. In addition, I'd like to offer a deal to any house that wishes to accept it.

2 Gold to Pass, or

4 Gold to do 1 Power to Nay

Multiple houses can accept the same offer. We're good for it.

House Cyfoeth Mobileposting

Seeing as how the Reign of Her Majesty seems likely to continue, our eternal thanks to Houses Daucus and Pinchay for being willing to negotiate amicably, we'll let ourselves step to the side for this one.

House Cyfoeth Accepts House Pinchay's offer of 2 gold to Pass.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Blastinus posted:

Foreman

Proposal accepted. Welcome aboard the Nay train.

Bellmaker posted:

Treasurer

as the reign does not appear to be ending, Lethe will take this deal.

scavy131 posted:

House Cyfoeth Mobileposting

Seeing as how the Reign of Her Majesty seems likely to continue, our eternal thanks to Houses Daucus and Pinchay for being willing to negotiate amicably, we'll let ourselves step to the side for this one.

House Cyfoeth Accepts House Pinchay's offer of 2 gold to Pass.

Quackles posted:

we'll take this offer too btw
Co-co-co-combo Witnessed!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 31, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blastinus posted:

2 Gold to Pass,

we'll take this offer too btw

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Reign of Queen Ilysia III, Dilemma 5, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

• House Lethe as the Leader spends 4 Coins (current: 10) to activate Storyline ability! Sliders are unaffected by momentum for this vote.

Votes Nay
Spends 1 Power (current: 6).
Gains 0 Coins minus 3 from Agreement, gains 2 from Storyline bonus: (current: 23).

Votes Pass and gather Power
Gains 8 Power (current: 8).
Gains 1 Coins gains 2 from Agreement (current: 24).

Gains 8 Power (current: 12).
Gains 1 Coins gains 2 from Agreement (current: 20).

Gains 8 Power (current: 14).
Gains 1 Coins minus 3 from Agreement (current: 10).

Gains 8 Power (current: 10).
Gains 1 Coins gains 2 from Agreement (current: 13).

House Pinchay(7), Dukes of Gamam is the current Leader.
- House Pinchay has sold signing rights to House Daucus.

Vote Outcome posted:

Envelope opened: -
N/A.

Resources and Stability change:

There currently are 15 cards in the Dilemma deck.

Chronicle stickers: 27

Updated.

Reign of Queen Ilysia III, Dilemma 6

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Hall of Rulers

Storyline: - Ending bonus: +20 Cohesion

Storyline: - Ending bonus: +5 Dissent

Storyline: - Ending bonus: +20 Cohesion

Storyline: - Ending bonus: +10 Cohesion

Storyline: - Ending bonus: +10 Cohesion

Storyline:

- Foreman/Sitting Councilmember: grandalt (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Omobono (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Sighence (also Treasurer)

- High Scholar/Sitting Councilmember: oldskool (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Bellmaker
- Treasurer/Negotiator: SporkChan

Dilemma 6 posted:

Stakes:

Active Event(s)

Current destination: Eye Island!
:siren::siren::siren:
A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that the thread is the main discussion platform for your vote intention - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing high level strategy, bargaining strategies and items on the sheet itself.
:siren::siren::siren:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

Well that was an interesting resolution to the previous dilemma, I think that may also have been the largest combo-deal witnessing so far with 3 houses having deals approved in the same post.

Oh yeah, Caffeine or Culture, that's a toughie. The negative sticker for the caffeine option is unfortunate otherwise I'd think Aye was a no-brainer.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

scavy131 posted:

Oh yeah, Caffeine or Culture, that's a toughie. The negative sticker for the caffeine option is unfortunate otherwise I'd think Aye was a no-brainer.
Pablo Escobar and his empire of ground up coffee leaves :coffee:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Councilmember

Is anyone going to care about the kingdom's wealth today?

We're sitting this one out unless people want to put a price on the sticker.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I completely forgot I was following this thread for months and then drat did everything get really interesting. Catching back up has been exciting, the writing in this game is shockingly good for a board game. As near as I can tell, and I haven't looked this up, but it seems like there's a lot of Mass Effect style choices, where, maybe the envelopes you open or don't open don't lock you out of your story resolution and ultimately, the only decision that matters is the end of the tree. I'm also gonna hazard a guess that, since there are 12 factions and six storylines, each "tree" ends with a choice between two. So each storyline achievement has a direct competitor.

If you work under the assumption that the pairs from the demo pictures in the thread are the directly opposed pairs (which does seem to line up with a few of the dilemmas we have seen), then it's clear at least one of the two remaining factions has been locked outside of theirs.

However, should this be an assumption? I'm less than sure. Just because Tyrill, from their flavor text, seemed like the obvious other side of the "inter-marriage with other cultures" in the wedding/Enkhal story, doesn't mean they necessarily were. If you pay attention to the Asher story, almost every event is located in Tyrill, hell, most of the non-story Asher and defender events took place in Tyrill. So while we don't know who the pro-bread-eating faction was (as no one in this game is playing them) there's a lot of evidence to suggest that Tyrill is the anti bread eating faction, if only because the entire conflict caused by the bread, and the initial famine, seemed to be loving their March over and over again. Tyrill also says explicitly in their flavor text that they want the poor to be recognizable as possible---keeping the Ashers out of high society, not letting the bread become a luxury, all of it, that seems to be something they'd angle against. Finally, maybe they just don't care if every other noble house intermarries into the Enkhal; if they don't, perhaps that just makes them even more pure in the eyes of the kingdom. I think the Asher conflict was either Tyrill/Blodyn or Tyrill/Allwed. Tyrill was about ending the conflicts within their own kingdom, and the pro-asher side wasn't actually about Ashers so much as it was about "acceptance" and "knowledge".

For Blodyn, I could see them as the side that's initially angry because the ashen bread cuts into their own profits, only to turn around and make it a luxury item, and finally to get it openly exploited for their scholars. I bet different paths down the envelopes makes one or the other side look more/less like obvious bad guys. I will give the writing of this game that much credit based on what I have seen already. On the other hand, it could be just over-analysis, and the obvious "Allwed wants people to accept the poor, so they're in the Asher conflict" and "Blodyn's teaser card references both knowledge and spirituality, so maybe they're the opposite of Olywn".

There's also no guarantee that the final envelope would have the same precise conflict. I presume they would have the same competitors for the conflict, but not necessarily the same dilemma. Natar/Lethe has said themselves, they were pleasantly surprised to not be the bad guys in their story--maybe that's just because of how that story ultimately played out. Perhaps if other envelopes were opened, there'd be less obviously evil knowledge that they'd need to destroy. But the flipside would be... hmm. I posit that the flipside of the Natar/Lethe/Temple conflict was Crann, the Southern Border March. "Tranquility in Death". It talks about how they're the defenders of the Southern border who others see as cutthroat and bloodthirsty. Remember, when you did the temple storyline, it didn't have to free the girl for her map, or defend the caravan south to the first temple, and the expedition could have gone any number of directions. So who's to say if the game tightly runs on rails toward the final temple with the gold-blood knowledge, or if it could have led any other number of places. Regardless of how that event chain might look in another universe, I'll wager this, sight unseen: The Crann (or another unpicked house for only partial credit to me) has a narrative achievement of: "Prove the value of blood spilled" or something with very similar wording. On the other hand, maybe one of the houses has a goal of "Find the secret of gold", and I'm overthinking again.

I wonder if some of these alternative envelopes finish their respective storyline faster than others. If, perhaps, some goals are hard to spot early on, but easy later, which might be reversed for their opposite house; they might not even know that they're in the story until they're at the end.

So, regardless of the final conflict at the end of the envelopes, I think the wording on the narrative achievements is probably fair enough to give a nation an idea of what it is they're trying to accomplish. But the wording can have layered meanings or just not be the same result---perhaps the Wedding didn't have to be Enkhal if the thread were much more aggressive with the Enkhali. Perhaps there'd have been an alternative path that wars with Enkhali and attempts to unite with Kauppias or Kasuk.

I don't have enough information, especially being out of the actual game, and 7 houses not actually being present, to make a unified theory on who is involved in what conflicts, but I think there are likely a lot of red herrings thrown in, and some really interesting intertwining between the various stories to throw people off the scent.

I'm fascinated to know just how much information about your houses are listed on your hidden sheets. Hopefully my bookmark stays this time, because I've got to see how the story of this version of Ankist ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As brilliant as this game is, I think I've come to the conclusion I dislike Legacy board games on principle; not because they're legacy, that feature absolutely rules and is fascinating. But because they're necessarily board games. It creates a ton of material waste, and this particular game seems like one of the worst offenders. Every envelope dilemma choice has an entire envelope of cards that you never use. Every unpicked house has a big cardboard screen you never use. Everything that you do use, aside from the board, tokens, and your own card, is used exactly once. That's just... unnecessary.

I wish these had digital versions, even if that's somewhat spoiling the novelty of a board game you can alter, but at the same time,---just how many legacy computer games has anyone ever played? Which assume campaigns against the same opponents that range over multiple games? There's like, that one civil war game, and that might be it. And even that one is a legacy campaign against a single AI. So why does the concept have to be a board game? I'm sure the answer is "so people have buy it again, if they ever want to play a new campaign."

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

As brilliant as this game is, I think I've come to the conclusion I dislike Legacy board games on principle; not because they're legacy, that feature absolutely rules and is fascinating. But because they're necessarily board games. It creates a ton of material waste, and this particular game seems like one of the worst offenders. Every envelope dilemma choice has an entire envelope of cards that you never use. Every unpicked house has a big cardboard screen you never use. Everything that you do use, aside from the board, tokens, and your own card, is used exactly once. That's just... unnecessary.

I wish these had digital versions, even if that's somewhat spoiling the novelty of a board game you can alter, but at the same time,---just how many legacy computer games has anyone ever played? Which assume campaigns against the same opponents that range over multiple games? There's like, that one civil war game, and that might be it. And even that one is a legacy campaign against a single AI. So why does the concept have to be a board game? I'm sure the answer is "so people have buy it again, if they ever want to play a new campaign."

Legacy boardgames emulate video games a lot of times: every game with a branching storyline, or with discrete parts of it that have multiple solutions (IE: "quests") lock you out of content the same way, for that specific playthrough at least.

If instead you are talking about mechanics on repeated playthroughs being influenced by the previous one, there are quite a few examples, especially in the roguelike/lite genre (Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, etc). As far games that build narratively on top of previous playthroughs, Sunless Sea or Cultist Simulator come to mind.

If instead the question is "why so many BGs are legacy"...Pandemic Legacy happened, and then Gloomhaven. Both have been the n.1 game on BGG at launch, and GH is still n.1 after 4 years. "Legacy" as a mechanic has become very popular cause it gets your game supported on KS and sold in stores.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fwiw I think it was Pinchay vs. Lethe at the Golden Temple, which was not what I was expecting. I thought Daucus was going to be our main rival.

House Lethe
Mobile Councilmember

Don’t care for this dilemma too much, open to ideas. We like the idea of HOT BEAN JUICE, but the sticker is a bit difficult to swallow :v:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 1, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bellmaker posted:

Don’t care for this dilemma too much, open to ideas. We like the idea of HOT BEAN JUICE, but the sticker is a bit difficult to swallow :v:

You could put a small amount of power on Nay. Stickers for all! (of us and Lethe) :v:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Bellmaker posted:

Fwiw I think it was Pinchay vs. Lethe at the Golden Temple, which was not what I was expecting. I thought Daucus was going to be our main rival.

House Lethe
Mobile Councilmember

The sticker goes down well with a cup of HOT BEAN JUICE.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Quackles posted:

You could put a small amount of power on Nay. Stickers for all! (of us and Lethe) :v:

How many coins for signing rights?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bellmaker posted:

How many coins for signing rights?

We don't care about signing rights as much unless the sticker would be Welfare. How about we pay you 3 Coins to vote Nay, with the agreement that you would keep most stickers but would let us sign a positive Welfare sticker?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

:effort:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:emptyquote:

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is actually one of the better games to just run online without any software emulation, because the board is pretty simple (regardless of the current game state) and can be tracked in an online Excel sheet. Mostly, you need to have a camera to take pictures of cards to have people read, but I've seen videos of people doing it.

Conveniently, this also happens to make King's Dilemma one of the legacy games that could be repackaged fairly easily, if it weren't for the fact you had to sign dilemma cards and put stickers on the board - if you're willing to find other ways to track that, (which isn't really that hard), then you can get by without any particular issues. That said, King's Dilemma does lean very heavily on story compared to a lot of legacy games - once you know how the story structure works, there's not much excitement in replaying it, except for maybe playing with a new group to see what kind of tyrants they all become.

Also, like many board games, this game also DID have a Tabletop Simulator mod for it, but it was removed some time ago. You might be able to find a setup for it still floating around on the internet though.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 2, 2021

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Is Pinchay still Pinching, or are they :effort: on this dilemma as well?

Quackles posted:

We don't care about signing rights as much unless the sticker would be Welfare. How about we pay you 3 Coins to vote Nay, with the agreement that you would keep most stickers but would let us sign a positive Welfare sticker?

Waiting to hear back from our treasurer but this conditionally sounds alright to me.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Senator

We also prefer Nay, so we're not going to go against the tide here. That said, we're willing to purchase that positive sticker as well. 3 coins for any non-Welfare sticker, and 1 coin above whatever Daucus is paying for Welfare.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Foreman
Well, I think that might be fine.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Quackles posted:

House Lethe Mobileposting

Treasurer

Agreed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

High Scholar

With the Nay vote secured, it looks as though Daucus will pass.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SporkChan posted:

House Lethe Mobileposting

Treasurer

Agreed.

Witnessed! Today's update is going to be a few hours late.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Scratch that, today is a bit of a funky day...update is postponed to tomorrow!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of Queen Ilysia III, Dilemma 6, Moderation Window

Vote Results posted:

Votes Nay
Spends 1 Power (current: 5).
Gains 0 Coins gains 2 from Storyline bonus: (current: 25).

Gains 1 Power (current: 9).
Gains 1 Coins (current: 25).

Votes Pass and become Moderator (with a bid of 3 Coins)
Gains 0 Power (current: 12).
Gains 1 Coins (current: 18).

Gains 1 Power (current: 15).
Gains 1 Coins (current: 11).

Votes Nay
Spends 1 Power (current: 9).
Gains 0 Coins gains 2 from Storyline bonus: (current: 15).
  • House Cyfoeth wins the Moderation bid!
Vote goes to Moderation!
The current moderator has up to 24h to decide if they want to pick Pinchay or Lethe. The Moderator can be bribed itt to try and sway their decision.
The Agreement between Daucus and Lethe is currently suspended until the Moderation window is closed, since Lethe may be unable to complete their end of the deal if they are not the winner.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 3, 2021

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Since Lethe decided to completely ignore our proposed deal, perhaps Cyfoeth will be a little more amenable. 4 coins to Cyfoeth to rule in our favor.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Inadequately posted:

Since Lethe decided to completely ignore our proposed deal, perhaps Cyfoeth will be a little more amenable. 4 coins to Cyfoeth to rule in our favor.

Sitting Councilmember

Not very happy about this situation given we literally didn't even see your deal, we were fast asleep when you offered it at the last possible minute. Had we seen you were going to vote nay we would have changed our vote.

Let me know your price for the sticker, Cyfoeth, we'll gladly match Pinchay's offer or higher.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 3, 2021

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

You asked what our position was, we responded and offered a deal, then your treasurer completely ignored said response. The fact that you missed it is entirely on you, don't try to twist it around to make it our fault.

We'll match any price Lethe offers, too.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Inadequately posted:

You asked what our position was, we responded and offered a deal, then your treasurer completely ignored said response. The fact that you missed it is entirely on you, don't try to twist it around to make it our fault.

We'll match any price Lethe offers, too.

The point of a 48 hour window is to give all a chance to debate and respond to your position, you had 40+ hours for anyone in your faction to speak up and say literally anything.

So yes, I am making it your fault.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I would say that we haven't had anyone deliberately lateposting (to make things more complicated for the opposition) itt so far.

Pinchay's comments were posted 8h before the deadline and while it's definitely possible to miss this due to different timezones (or even just cause this is not a job but just a game) I would still file this under "poo poo happens" more than anything else :)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bellmaker posted:

Sitting Councilmember

Not very happy about this situation given we literally didn't even see your deal, we were fast asleep when you offered it at the last possible minute. Had we seen you were going to vote nay we would have changed our vote.

Let me know your price for the sticker, Cyfoeth, we'll gladly match Pinchay's offer or higher.

We can also offer to assign a negative agenda to the house of your choice at the start of next reign. I am not sure if that can be binding but we would honor it regardless.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bellmaker posted:

We can also offer to assign a negative agenda to the house of your choice at the start of next reign. I am not sure if that can be binding but we would honor it regardless.

Given that we made a deal with you in the past to not assign to us for a number of reigns, I believe that's deal-make-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Pinchay made their offer and then Lethe accepted Daucus's two hours after that. You want to make an argument about considering the earlier offer first, fine, though it's much too late to believe that as Lethe apparently currently argues that they're sleepposting.

Sticker assignment would be of some value, varying per sticker (wealth is an absolute albatross, knowledge only worth the initial -1/-1, the others in between). That said I'm not about to pretend I like or understand the sticker board but I don't think Lethe has a negative sticker to assign.

Offer values being equal as far as I can tell at the moment, Pinchay has the preference.