Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

HopperUK posted:

I've just realised I have to work out how a bat wears a sweater. Great big armholes and it's a sleeveless sweater-vest?

I…. didn’t think this through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Maybe Hedgehog is diversifying their portfolio into scarves and hats?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Maybe! I'm gonna try to make this work with a sweater but if it ends up being a bat wearing a big scarf, we'll just have to deal with it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I just came across Scraps by Cezar Capacle and it looks like an interesting counterpart to Apothecaria. It's another "feel-good crafting game" but set in a solarpunk post-apocalypse. You set out on expeditions to find materials for personal and community building projects, which are supposed to be symbiotic with the environment and not colonial or imperialistic. Hard to see the exact mechanics from the preview but it looks like there's some sort of Tetris-like inventory management representing your construction.

I think I'll definitely check this out; anyone else played it already?

Edit: got the PDF and skimmed through it. Looks decent, though it may be a little annoying to play on paper since a big part of the game is flipping, rotating, and otherwise transforming specific shapes on a grid. There is also a worldbuilding component where you map/explore the hexes surrounding your settlement to find special ingredients. The game has a very specific explore-collect-craft loop but the output of that loop feels kind of half-hearted; your projects are worth "points" when completed but there's nothing to use those points on except to "spend" them on narrative experiences, and the only guidance on spending is to just "put 10-20 points into something depending on how much you care about it."

The initial comparison to Apothecaria feels very apt: whereas that game has very specific events and outcomes while you're gathering ingredients and zero rules for how to craft them together, this game's exploration is much more open-ended and the crafting is tightly defined. Might be interesting to mash the two together somehow.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 9, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I just came across Scraps by Cezar Capacle and it looks like an interesting counterpart to Apothecaria. It's another "feel-good crafting game" but set in a solarpunk post-apocalypse. You set out on expeditions to find materials for personal and community building projects, which are supposed to be symbiotic with the environment and not colonial or imperialistic. Hard to see the exact mechanics from the preview but it looks like there's some sort of Tetris-like inventory management representing your construction.

I think I'll definitely check this out; anyone else played it already?

Edit: got the PDF and skimmed through it. Looks decent, though it may be a little annoying to play on paper since a big part of the game is flipping, rotating, and otherwise transforming specific shapes on a grid. There is also a worldbuilding component where you map/explore the hexes surrounding your settlement to find special ingredients. The game has a very specific explore-collect-craft loop but the output of that loop feels kind of half-hearted; your projects are worth "points" when completed but there's nothing to use those points on except to "spend" them on narrative experiences, and the only guidance on spending is to just "put 10-20 points into something depending on how much you care about it."

The initial comparison to Apothecaria feels very apt: whereas that game has very specific events and outcomes while you're gathering ingredients and zero rules for how to craft them together, this game's exploration is much more open-ended and the crafting is tightly defined. Might be interesting to mash the two together somehow.

That's really interesting! Looks a bit too fiddly for my taste, but please report back if you try running through it a bit.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

HopperUK posted:

That's really interesting! Looks a bit too fiddly for my taste, but please report back if you try running through it a bit.

I haven't dug into it yet, but the designer has been live tweeting a playthrough in this thread all day.

https://twitter.com/capacle/status/1437052882948341763

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I haven't dug into it yet, but the designer has been live tweeting a playthrough in this thread all day.

https://twitter.com/capacle/status/1437052882948341763

This does look fun, thanks for this link.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
This is a cross-post from the TG Chat Thread, so apologies ...

Mr.Misfit posted:

I am looking for playtesters for a solitaire board game I've written up.
I've got the entire thing ready to Print'n'play or playtest via Vassal but I basically need someone who's not me to take a look at what I've created before I go 100% ham with it.

Now I know that there are more dedicated spaces like on Boardgamegeek or the TradGameDesigners forum, but I've gotten precariously little feedback on those over a timeslot
of several years and I'd rather ask here for help than anywhere else.

The game in question is a solitaire strategy game called "Rise and Decline of a Galactic Imperium", inspired by GMTs "The Hunters" solitaire wargaming series, but other than the
most basic strokes, there's little similarity. Think of it as a 70s style SSI boardgame. Tha explains alot of the small interlocking bits.

The game can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oOP8ZA8mPa7BcuavmO-xPegLLCWvMosG?usp=sharing.

Any takers?

I do hope this is the more appropriate space?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Do you have a Tabletop Simulator mod for it? I don't have Vassal or the space to lay out a P&P game but TTS lets me test out all sorts of stuff.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I...I don't. How complicated is building one for it?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Isn't Vassal free, Potato?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In terms of money, sure. In terms of time and effort, no.

And like, right now I have exactly 0 spare time or effort. In better times things would be different, but now is not better times.

E:

Mr.Misfit posted:

I...I don't. How complicated is building one for it?

Um. Variable? I've set one up with custom cards in the past and it was fairly straightforward. I think custom tokens and minis are trickier, and you can disappear down a rabbithole of scripting and detail work if you want.

Double E:

Of course now I'm looking through it and thinking of spending the time I don't have making a TTS mod for it myself.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 22, 2021

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

potatocubed posted:

In terms of money, sure. In terms of time and effort, no.

And like, right now I have exactly 0 spare time or effort. In better times things would be different, but now is not better times.

E:

Um. Variable? I've set one up with custom cards in the past and it was fairly straightforward. I think custom tokens and minis are trickier, and you can disappear down a rabbithole of scripting and detail work if you want.

Double E:

Of course now I'm looking through it and thinking of spending the time I don't have making a TTS mod for it myself.

Don't, I've already started importing all the counters and stuff and trust me, it's well... it certainly won't have a lot of scripting but all the parts will be there at least. *sigh*

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Well, shout when it's done. The absolute least I can do is give it a couple of playthroughs now I've made you put the work in.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Mr.Misfit posted:

This is a cross-post from the TG Chat Thread, so apologies ...

I do hope this is the more appropriate space?

I downloaded the materials, and I'm digging through them. I don't know if I'll have time to actually play it, but I just want to say it looks really cool! I love that people have the talent and motivation to make stuff like this happen.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

potatocubed posted:

Do you have a Tabletop Simulator mod for it? I don't have Vassal or the space to lay out a P&P game but TTS lets me test out all sorts of stuff.

I can't promise it'll work, but here's to hoping:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2608747806
Good luck and I hope you have fun =)

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I downloaded the materials, and I'm digging through them. I don't know if I'll have time to actually play it, but I just want to say it looks really cool! I love that people have the talent and motivation to make stuff like this happen.

Thank you, that's very kind of you ^_^

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Only had time to skim the main rules today, but :aaaaa: this looks rad. I've never been interested the grand strategy SF board games because they're inevitably competitive, and spending 3-6 hours on a competitive game is not my jam, but 500+ hours in Stellaris plus "major influences are Babylon 5 and Alpha Centauri" demand that I check this out when I can really sit down with it. Awesome work, and thank you for the TTS version!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mr.Misfit posted:

I can't promise it'll work, but here's to hoping:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2608747806
Good luck and I hope you have fun =)

Thank you, that's very kind of you ^_^

It doesn't work! I think you need to upload the various images to Imgur so that when I load the module my version of TTS can grab them. Right now the links seem to be pointing to files stored on your local Dropbox which I don't have access to.

Sorry to just hand off more work, but it does look pretty good and I'm eager to give it a go!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

potatocubed posted:

It doesn't work! I think you need to upload the various images to Imgur so that when I load the module my version of TTS can grab them. Right now the links seem to be pointing to files stored on your local Dropbox which I don't have access to.

Sorry to just hand off more work, but it does look pretty good and I'm eager to give it a go!

Update done. Now that I know what to do, I was able to upload all pieces as well as the charts etc into the cloud storage. Should work now. Have fun. Also WTF. Next game I make has fewer counters *fingers-dead*

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Turn 2 civil war. :negative:

It's going to take a while to play through three ages, but I'm liking what's going on so far.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Cross-posting from the Kickstarter thread because it might be of interest to people here:

potatocubed posted:

This sounds absolutely fascinating and has three days left.

Remember August is a game where the creator will spend a month writing you letters -- real letters if you're in the US and you're willing to fork out for them -- and between them and your own work you'll create a unique memento/art object/thing.

It's inspired by This Is How You Lose The Time War and other things I've not heard of, but I'm absolutely sold.

Also, I've just released another solo game (although this one you can play with others, if you like) called See Issue X. It's about superhero stories and accumulated backstory cruft.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Cross-posting from the Kickstarter thread because it might be of interest to people here:

Also, I've just released another solo game (although this one you can play with others, if you like) called See Issue X. It's about superhero stories and accumulated backstory cruft.

Ooo this is of interest to me, I'm gonna stick that in the list to check out when I have time. Cheers.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

potatocubed posted:

Oh, I really like the concept of your game, and Wreck This Deck has inspired a deep love in me for loving up some playing cards. Gonna pick this one up.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

5 Parsecs from Home is a Sci-fi Solo Wargaming system (called an Adventure Wargame) where you assemble or generate a crew from random tables and then skirmish with procedurally generated enemies. The hefty element to the game is the Campaign system where your crew can develop their skills, pay off the loan for their spaceship, get into trouble, and buy and trade weapons and gear between battles. It also includes robust Patron, Job, Rival and Quest subsystems.

The combat is punchy and quickly resolved. One battle will take about an hour and there are a large variety of enemy types.

The combination of solo skirmish wargame and campaign system creates a rich environment for writing prompts which can easily be turned into a narrative. That is what I have done here. Below is the narrative version of an after-action report of a 5 Parsecs from Home squad creation session and actual wargame skirmish. I have taken the most interesting events of each round and narrated them. All characters including the crew and their names were randomly generated.

5 Parsecs from Home is $20 for the pdf on DriveThru or $35 for the physical hardback plus pdf at Modiphius. And of course, it is goon made.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/358938/Five-Parsecs-From-Home--Solo-Adventure-Wargaming

https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home

quote:

The ornithopter’s frame shook violently as the craft juked and swerved over the belching smokestacks and humming power wires of the industrial center below. Captain Bjorn Ivannox swayed in his harness webbing, affixed to a hook in the ceiling, as he reviewed the battlefield data with his crew through his VR implant. Brilliant goldenrod arrows shimmered against an oldtech background of phosphorescent green lines, denoting the industrial battlespace his crew was about to engage in.

“How many contacts?” asked the soldier Anriel, not looking up from adjusting his tracking sight on the lean and smooth infantry laser. “Should be six at most,” Leomes Gallo chimed in, the technician studiously checking the social media presence of the Black Dragons, the asteroid pirate faction they were about to ambush. “Six. A match to the crew’s numbers,” Bjorn thought.

Bjorn leaned back in the webbing and ran through his memory of the past 24 hours. At a speakeasy, The Thirsty Engine, a corpo drenched in sweat had barged in and openly offered a bounty on the Black Dragons. Something involving a deal gone bad and a gene-locked suitcase full of data on the site. Sensing a good opportunity when he smelled it, Bjorn immediately riled up his crew and got them transport to the industrial zone on a creaky Shrike Mark II ornithopter. Flying low to the horizon, this dubious transport would cloak their approach from spaceship-seeking sensors and afford them a fast evac if things went wrong.

Bjorn waved away the VR display and took a steady look at his other companions. Fallox Encia was leaning down in her webbing-hammock, one hand tapping out a beat on her music synthesizer while the other was carefully locking the thermal clip into her well-worn scrap pistol. Levian Nuende was running his fingers over his shaved head as he studied the VR map of the battlespace, his blast pistol locked and loaded on his hip. Piklov Demir was polishing the blade of his brutal buster sword and nodding absently with his headphones on. Bjorn knew from experience that Piklov was listening to some commentator or another describing the fluctuations of planetary commodities and intersystem cryptocurrency. Always rooting after fat stacks of credits, that one.

“Five minutes until drop!” Bjorn yelled over the comms as his crew made last minute preparations to their various implements of murder and mayhem. Bjorn’s VR display crackled into life again with golden triangles and red lines warning of atmospheric disturbances. A storm front was mixing with the localized industrial pollution to a dense heady smog and gloom over the battlespace. “Expect smog as thick as tar!” Bjorn announced, “Visibility limited.” Piklov glanced up at Fallox with a savage grin and both crewmembers clanged their respective melee weapons together in excitement. “Should be good for some up close and personal action!” Piklov exclaimed.

The ornithopter buzzed up and down over the dropzone. Six filamentous ropes sprang from the bottom of the transport and the crew slid down as one unit, Bjorn touching earth first.

(First Round)

A couple of quick finger gestures, and Bjorn had ordered the squad to form out in a battle line in the midst of the industrial smog, each member securing themselves in cover behind a fabbed piece of concrete or a reinforced steel fence.

Bjorn peered out over the edge of his barricade, the green image enhancement of his VR clarifying murky shadows and formless obstructions as towering concrete pillars and a mess of industrial robots parked in stiff silence.

There, the entire squad heard it; radio crackles of men chuckling, at leisure. Coming from the forest of concrete pillars to the north. Just then, Piklov made a move.

Clutching, then parkouring over the chain linked fence, Pikov was already in motion as he saw it. A shiny suitcase propped up, forgotten, against an automated forklift; the gene-lock signature on it glowing steady phosphorescent and green. Payday.

Pikov’s heavy bootsteps echoed on the hard surface of the industrial park. The radio chatter cutoff abruptly and curt orders were barked over the enemy intercoms as Pilkov slid next to the forklift, slamming hard into its frame, his buster sword on his back bouncing in its sheath.

Bjorn could see a rare ray of sunlight shine off of Pilkov’s gold tooth as he grabbed the suitcase in triumph, then immediately hit the deck to avoid a spray of gunfire from what could only be the Black Dragon pirates saturating the area with military rifles on full rock-and-roll.

(Second Round)

“Contact! Contact!,” Bjorn yelled, sprinting towards the reinforced fence previously vacated by Pilkov as his sight filled with glimmering red crosshairs now moving in formation to the north. “Six! Count them, six contacts! Lets do this!” Bjorn roared as he ducked his head from a burst of fire that narrowly missed his camo beret.

Far to his right, Anriel coolly took aim and breathed out slow. The was the bark of pain from the Black Dragon’s side as Anriel’s infantry laser cooked one of the armor plates on the man that was shouting orders over the radio comms. drat. Solid miss.

Levian Nuende sped over to the fence next to Bjorn and immediately spun his blast pistol up in a snap shot. “gently caress gently caress” came the response from the Black Dragons as the radio commands cut off abruptly and the man in Anriel’s sights crumpled to the floor. “Game over, Game OVER,” one of the pirates screamed upon seeing his commander bleeding on the floor. He turned tail and fled. Four contacts left.

(Third Round)

Breathing raggedly, Piklov Demir sprinted back towards Bjorn’s firing line, adrenaline and residual chems pumping in time with his heartbeat. As Piklov broke cover, one of the Black Dragons, the left part of his face ripped and replaced with targeting optics, casually spun up an oversized revolver and fired two incendiary red bolts downrange at Piklov. One bolt clanged against the gene-locked suitcase and ricocheted down the industrial park to explode into a mass of burning sticky chems. “Oh poo poo, that’s clingfire,” Piklov managed to think as the second bolt slammed into his back and turned him into an unfortunate inferno.

(Fourth Round)

“Piklov’s down!” Levian Nuende shouted to Bjorn who was adjacent to him behind the fence. “Then do something about it, goddamn it!” Bjorn roared back, spittle flying as he surveyed the incoming red-crosshairs encroaching on their position. Sweat apparent on his shaved head, Levian took a heartbeat to aim and then pulled the trigger on a Black Dragon to his right. The Dragon’s faceplate crumpled and the man shivered visibly, but he continued to rush forwards after a moment.

But that moment was all that Leomes Gallo needed. In an impromptu sniper’s crouch, his hand cradling a well-worn colony rifle, Gallo fired and the encroaching pirate who had paused fell to the ground, senseless.

The Black Dragons continued their advance. With the suitcase in sight, they were out for blood.

Meanwhile on the right flank, soldier Anriel was busy. Adjusting his position and toggling his range finder, he targeted the profile of the Black Dragon with the devastating clingfire revolver. A beam fired away. Miss. Not to be outdone, the Black Dragon fired his revolver back, missing twice.

(Fifth Round)

Eyes narrowed, Anriel fired off an angry last shot and leapt over the barricade back to safety. To his surprise, the laser connected, drawing a cry of pain as a cauterized line nearly bisected the revolver man’s shoulder. Unsurprisingly, the bark of a command was followed by the sounds of full auto military rifles firing against Anriel’s barricade. He was pinned down, but luckily unharmed and he knew it; he hunched over into a crouch and waited for a break in the action.

On the left flank, Fallox Encia kept up a steady flow of covering fire. Annoyed, a Black Dragon took aim and fired at Fallox’s exposed wrist on rock-and-roll. Struck, Fallox howled and slammed into the ground, her body quickly going into shock. Bjorn hissed through his teeth and mentally subtracted one on his side from the fight. The Black Dragons’ odds had just narrowed and he need to do something and do it fast.

One of the pirates had advanced out of position to get a good angle on Anriel. Leomes Gallo took advantage of this mistake by leaning out from behind cover and shooting the man center of mass. The Black Dragon whipped his rifle around at Leomes, bullets spraying a deadly rain in the area, as Captain Bjorn Ivannox seized the initiative, climbing over a reinforced fence and leaping, swinging his glowing glare sword down in a powerful arc that cleaved through the Black Dragon’s rifle and into his groin.

(Sixth Round)

His opponent finished, Bjorn scrambled toward the frozen forklift for cover, but it was too late. Bjorn had managed to cut down the Black Dragons to two men, but he left himself exposed and the man with the clingfire revolver shot two bolts, both impacting his lower body, starting an instant inferno. Bjorn was down, insensate as fire whorled around him. The Black Dragon laughed as his facial optics whirred and pulsed, searching for another victim.

The one remaining pirate with the military rifle fired upon Leomes Gallow, seeking an easy kill. “gently caress it,” spat Leomes, leaning out of cover again and exchanging fire with the pirate. Both men cried out as they were wounded, but the Black Dragon screamed louder; there was a hole in his midsection from Anriel’s laser beam coming from the right flank.

(Seventh Round)

With a speed that suggested chemical augmentation and desperation, the revolver wielding Black Dragon all by his lonesome, sprinted over to the wounded Leomes and giggled as he raised his gun and fired.

“drat you!” Levian Nuende shouted and fired his blast pistol wildly downrange. But it was the soldier’s well developed cold focus that ended the engagement. Anriel’s sights coalesced at the base of the laughing Black Dragon’s spine. He pulled the trigger. There was no recoil. There was no sound as the target simply vaporized into a fine red mist.

Bjorn tossed and turned, groaning at the bright light piercing through his eyelids and the incessant beeping slowly reaching his ears. His nose filled with the scents of antiseptic and sterile gauze. He was thirsty, so thirsty. He coughed and nearly gagged at his dry throat. “Report” he managed to croak out.

“You’re in Med Bay” came Anriel’s gruff voice. “I can tell,” Bjorn rasped, bright lights and colored sensors assaulting his vision as his eyes fluttered open. “What happened?”

Anriel just laughed and slid his fingers into his beltloops. “All crew accounted for. Two have more serious wounds than you, old timer.” The old soldier nodded to the table in front of him, “And we secured this.” The green light of the gene-lock glimmered tranquilly on its indestructible steel suitcase.

Payday, Captain Bjron Ivannox thought as the warm inviting blackness crept up behind his eyes then gently engulfed him.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 8, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That looks fun! Cheers.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, it's neat. I started a little campaign, then got distracted by wondering how to make it nicer to read before I wrote it up.

Hopper, how's your hedgehog's sweater shop doing?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Helical Nightmares posted:

5 Parsecs from Home is a Sci-fi Solo Wargaming system (called an Adventure Wargame) where you assemble or generate a crew from random tables and then skirmish with procedurally generated enemies. The hefty element to the game is the Campaign system where your crew can develop their skills, pay off the loan for their spaceship, get into trouble, and buy and trade weapons and gear between battles. It also includes robust Patron, Job, Rival and Quest subsystems.

The combat is punchy and quickly resolved. One battle will take about an hour and there are a large variety of enemy types.

The combination of solo skirmish wargame and campaign system creates a rich environment for writing prompts which can easily be turned into a narrative. That is what I have done here. Below is the narrative version of an after-action report of a 5 Parsecs from Home squad creation session and actual wargame skirmish. I have taken the most interesting events of each round and narrated them. All characters including the crew and their names were randomly generated.

5 Parsecs from Home is $20 for the pdf on DriveThru or $35 for the physical hardback plus pdf at Modiphius. And of course, it is goon made.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/358938/Five-Parsecs-From-Home--Solo-Adventure-Wargaming

https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home

Awesome! Thanks for posting. I got it recently and look forward to playing myself!

I didn't know Ivan is a goon! Does he post here?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Awesome! Thanks for posting. I got it recently and look forward to playing myself!

I didn't know Ivan is a goon! Does he post here?

Thanks! Glad folks like it. I had a good time playing and writing it up.

Ivan goes by Nordic Weasel guy and I've seen him show up in the Miniature Wargaming, Indie Style thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037&pagenumber=122#lastpost

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ran the intro dungeon today in D100 Dungeon and it was a lot of fun. filling out the dungeon map is really satisfying and looks cool when it's all done. the combat could use some work for sure, it's the least good part of the system, but overall i think i'll buy more supplements to add some more content.

i've got the mapping pack from thegamecrafter.com on the way, and i think i'll get the adventurer's handbook too. anyone else play through this yet?

i've also got my eye on iron helm but i don't know that i want to drop the $100 for the mats and everything right this minute (ordered kingdom death and a few vintage board games so i need to slow down on the spending). anyone have any experience with this? should i get it anyway?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, it's neat. I started a little campaign, then got distracted by wondering how to make it nicer to read before I wrote it up.

Hopper, how's your hedgehog's sweater shop doing?

Wow this thread fell right out of my brain! It's doing, I kinda stalled out for a bit artwise but I'm back in the saddle now so there should be more soonish.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

jarofpiss posted:

ran the intro dungeon today in D100 Dungeon and it was a lot of fun. filling out the dungeon map is really satisfying and looks cool when it's all done. the combat could use some work for sure, it's the least good part of the system, but overall i think i'll buy more supplements to add some more content.

i've got the mapping pack from thegamecrafter.com on the way, and i think i'll get the adventurer's handbook too. anyone else play through this yet?

i've also got my eye on iron helm but i don't know that i want to drop the $100 for the mats and everything right this minute (ordered kingdom death and a few vintage board games so i need to slow down on the spending). anyone have any experience with this? should i get it anyway?

I ran through a few dungeons of D100 and enjoyed it. Like you said, the combat is a bit of a slog, just because there's a lot of missing on both sides--maybe that's just early on, but it feels like a lot of dice rolls every turn just to have absolutely nothing happen. The exploration aspect is fun though, and it's neat to wind up with an artifact of the dungeon map after the fact.

Not sure at this point if it's still properly roleplaying in the same vein, but I'm a fan of Andrew Backhouse's Pencilgames; of which I think Pencilvillage strikes the best compromise between depth, playtime, and fiddliness, but they're all worth checking out in my opinion.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At $5 it’s worth taking a chance on. I’ve been wanting a “build a town/castle/kingdom/world” game to play with my kid, maybe this is it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GetDunked posted:

I ran through a few dungeons of D100 and enjoyed it. Like you said, the combat is a bit of a slog, just because there's a lot of missing on both sides--maybe that's just early on, but it feels like a lot of dice rolls every turn just to have absolutely nothing happen. The exploration aspect is fun though, and it's neat to wind up with an artifact of the dungeon map after the fact.

Not sure at this point if it's still properly roleplaying in the same vein, but I'm a fan of Andrew Backhouse's Pencilgames; of which I think Pencilvillage strikes the best compromise between depth, playtime, and fiddliness, but they're all worth checking out in my opinion.

Ooo thanks for the tipoff - I picked up Penciltown. It reminds me of Anna Blackwell's mapdrawing games, DELVE and RISE and UMBRA, and I do love this kind of thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bundle of holding has a bundle up that includes Ironsworn (already free tbf) and Ironsworn Delve.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just saw that mophidus has a Sci fi role playing solo thing, has anyone tried that?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just want to say, if anyone's not happy about blowing their toner on an image-heavy PDF, it's real easy to edit out images and dark blocks of crap you don't need using PDF-XChange Editor. The free version won't let you save your work without blighting it with a watermark, but you can still print it. You can even print it to PDF and have a kind of saved version, no watermark.

'Course, if your job or something gives you a PDF editor or a whole dang printer for free, there you go.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just saw that mophidus has a Sci fi role playing solo thing, has anyone tried that?

Five Parsecs from Home or something else?

5PF is a neat skirmish game - I did a few test scenarios and I'm going to do a proper campaign that I document and the random tables add a lot to the narrative it builds.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Is there a good solo RPG for being a big heavy metal badass killing their way through hordes of enemies and mooks? I'm specifically looking at a way to play the Chaos-y parts of Age of Sigmar, so very high fantasy epic barbarian type stuff. I've played a little with Scarlet Heroes and it does the job well, but I'd love to have some other options.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Just want to say, if anyone's not happy about blowing their toner on an image-heavy PDF, it's real easy to edit out images and dark blocks of crap you don't need using PDF-XChange Editor. The free version won't let you save your work without blighting it with a watermark, but you can still print it. You can even print it to PDF and have a kind of saved version, no watermark.

'Course, if your job or something gives you a PDF editor or a whole dang printer for free, there you go.

Yeah I have a printer at work and a cheerful boss so I print things there, thank goodness. Otherwise it'd be all on-screen all the time and I find that less satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I used to just give things boring names, send them to the printer and activate the print job on my way out off the office.

Much better than when I started in IT and you had to dash to the printer to collect your job before anyone else found a stack of character sheets